2020 NHL Draft Thread: only 365 more days until next years hockey tryouts

Status
Not open for further replies.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
In a little over year from now we will likely not have Koivu, Staal, and Rask on the team, possibly losing Kunin at the ED( who isn't much at C IMO anyway). We get C's.

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
What the heck is an NHLe?
"NHL equivalency," which tries to project how a prospect's production in a junior/lower league will translate to the NHL. Someone went through and calculated translation values for all the lower leagues, so the NHLE is just (points/games played)*82*[league's translation value]. So like for Khovanov it's...

(78 points / 38 games played) * 82 * 0.28 = 48 NHL points

It seems like an okay way to try to compare production between prospects in different leagues. It seems like a really bad way to project individual players.

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
"NHL equivalency," which tries to project how a prospect's production in a junior/lower league will translate to the NHL. Someone went through and calculated translation values for all the lower leagues, so the NHLE is just (points/games played)*82*[league's translation value]. So like for Khovanov it's...

(78 points / 38 games played) * 82 * 0.28 = 48 NHL points

It seems like an okay way to try to compare production between prospects in different leagues. It seems like a really bad way to project individual players.

Thanks.

16thOverallSaveUs

Danila Yurov Fan Club Executive Assistant
May 2, 2018
Assuming Pittsburgh's pick is between 25-31:
Thomas Bordeleau (LC) -
  • 42 points in 41 games for NTDP
  • Committed to Michigan
  • Ranking Variance (21st - 44th)
Emil Andrae (LD) -
  • 29 points in 32 Superelite games (Very good for Defenseman)
  • Has played a few game in SHL this year
  • Ranking Variance (22nd - 41st)
Mavrik Bourque is likely gone by 20

Helge Grans (RD) -
  • 24 points in 23 Superelite games
  • 2 SHL points in 17 games
  • Ranked 28th by elite prospects
Tyson Foerster (RC) -
  • 67 points in 50 OHL games
  • Ranked 46th by EliteProspects
Jean Luc-Foudy(Listed as RC) -
  • 37 points in 47 OHL games
  • Ranking Variance (24th-32nd)
Roni Hirvonen (LC) -
  • 13 points in 43 games in Liiga
  • Ranking Variance (23rd -27th)

16thOverallSaveUs

May 2, 2018
I know he’s a left-shot guy whose likely to play the wing, but his offensive package is so dynamic.
Nice commentary by Biznasty too

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
KSU mentioned him, but Tyson Foerster has been someone on my radar for a while. Haven't seen too much gameplay, but he's putting up points by himself, right handed center with some decent size. I'd definitely be looking at him with the late 1st or our 2nd.

fentonsbrainchild

Jul 29, 2019
KSU mentioned him, but Tyson Foerster has been someone on my radar for a while. Haven't seen too much gameplay, but he's putting up points by himself, right handed center with some decent size. I'd definitely be looking at him with the late 1st or our 2nd.
I haven't seen him but I've heard really good things

If we end up with #7 will Rossi even be available? If not I don't think I have enough energy to be this invested in the tank.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: AKL

16thOverallSaveUs

May 2, 2018
He seems like he’d be a really good player to take a bet on, but I haven’t seen him much. If we took him in the 2nd I’d throw a party. With the late 1st I would be happy.

If we end up with #7 will Rossi even be available? If not I don't think I have enough energy to be this invested in the tank.
Hopefully he falls for being small. I think there’s a decent chance he’s available, though I wouldn’t bet the house on it. I’d be ok with Perfetti though. He’s played Center almost all year for Saginaw, and is still playing center for them even after the Suzuki addition. I think he could be a center the same way Domi is. Yeah, he might be a bit better on the wing, but he gets by. One of him or Boldy can play the middle in the NHL.

fentonsbrainchild

Jul 29, 2019
Hopefully he falls for being small. I think there’s a decent chance he’s available, though I wouldn’t bet the house on it. I’d be ok with Perfetti though. He’s played Center almost all year for Saginaw, and is still playing center for them even after the Suzuki addition. I think he could be a center the same way Domi is. Yeah, he might be a bit better on the wing, but he gets by. One of him or Boldy can play the middle in the NHL.
You telling me we could "settle" for Perfetti should be music to my ears but I just want a no questions asked center. Is that too much to ask for?

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
You telling me we could "settle" for Perfetti should be music to my ears but I just want a no questions asked center. Is that too much to ask for?

Yeah I can't act like it wouldn't hurt to come away from all this with none of: Lafreniere, Byfield, Rossi, Stutzle, Lundell or Drysdale

On an unrelated note, could Ty Smilanic fall to the third round? Has had some issues that have led to a disappointing season for him. Could be a good value pick if he falls to the third.

16thOverallSaveUs

May 2, 2018
It shouldn’t be, but this team has developed 0 1Cs in its history. Koivu was maybe a 1C when he hit 70 points that year.

fentonsbrainchild

Jul 29, 2019
Yeah I can't act like it wouldn't hurt to come away from all this with none of: Lafreniere, Byfield, Rossi, Stutzle, Lundell or Drysdale

On an unrelated note, could Ty Smilanic fall to the third round? Has had some issues that have led to a disappointing season for him. Could be a good value pick if he falls to the third.
We need a third round pick before we can target him in the third

16thOverallSaveUs

May 2, 2018

I feel yuh. I’m just at the point where if we leave the draft without picking Holloway at 13th I’ll be ~ok

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
I feel yuh. I’m just at the point where if we leave the draft without picking Holloway at 13th I’ll be ~ok

One thing they don't tell you about being pro-tank is it's very exhausting when your team isn't really bad enough to organically get a top 10 pick. I'm just ready for October 2020.

16thOverallSaveUs

May 2, 2018
His whole 2008-2011 stretch is very 1C-ish, considering his defense and line mates.
I don’t disagree. I just don’t know that I would call that stretch a non-negotiable 1C stretch

One thing they don't tell you about being pro-tank is it's very exhausting when your team isn't really bad enough to organically get a top 10 pick. I'm just ready for October 2020.
Yeah Detroit’s got it made. They’re at the point where they can cheer for their team again simply because there’s no chance of hurting their lottery odds

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
18th in points and points-per-game amongst centers over those 3 years.

I agree the numbers were there, but he never had that 1C feel to him. It was always more like, well he's never going to take control of a game (save for the few angry Koivu games per year), and he seems better fitted as a 2C.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad