Prospect Info: 2020 NHL Draft - part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

R8Devs

1-5-6-12
Nov 20, 2010
New Jersey
Will the draft be in June?
Sounds like we should know at the end of this week or early next week according to Lebrun and Garrioch but they've been saying that for a couple weeks. Although now if they want to give teams 1 month notice time is running out on when they can do that for a June draft.
LeBrun: Bill Daly provides update on NHL's progress toward a...
GARRIOCH: Teams have stepped up draft preparations while awaiting word from the NHL
"The NHL hit the two month mark of the pause Tuesday, and with each passing the day the chances of all 31 teams returning to finish the regular season becomes less likely. The indications are the NHL is leaning towards a July return with 24 teams with a play-in tournament for those close to making the post-season, but it has to be noted that all options remain on the table because who can predict what’s next?"
"Right now, teams are preparing for a lottery in early-June and a draft midway through the month unless they hear otherwise."

R8Devs

1-5-6-12
Nov 20, 2010
New Jersey

He's had some wild opinions in the past -- not sure if he actually believes it or does it to stick out in a crowd lol. But the only player to come out the US program into the NHL was Jack so it'd be hard to believe that a defenseman would be the 2nd to do so.
Then again team rankings are probably pretty different than consensus rankings (like Vancouver had Q.Hughes in the top 3 in 2018) so who really knows aside from the teams themself. But I'd be pretty surprised for a defenseman from the US program to step into the NHL next year.

Last edited:

Spoiled Bratt

Jun 29, 2016
He's had some wild opinions in the past -- not sure if he actually believes it or does it to stick out in a crowd lol. But the only player to come out the US program into the NHL was Jack so it'd be hard to believe that a defenseman would be the 2nd to do so.
Then again team rankings are probably pretty different than consensus rankings (like Vancouver had Q.Hughes in the top 3 in 2018) so who really knows aside from the teams themself. But I'd be pretty surprised for a defenseman from the US program to step into the NHL next year.

Actually, Grant McCagg is a regular poster on the Habs forum and has several contacts with NHL scouts. He predicts almost every pick the Habs make before they take place, so I’d say he’s very connected.

Like I said earlier this week, there’s several scouts who view Sanderson as the top rated dman in this years draft and have made the Suter/McDonagh comparison and every team needs a guy like that on their roster.

R8Devs

1-5-6-12
Nov 20, 2010
New Jersey
Actually, Grant McCagg is a regular poster on the Habs forum and has several contacts with NHL scouts. He predicts almost every pick the Habs make before they take place, so I’d say he’s very connected.

Like I said earlier this week, there’s several scouts who view Sanderson as the top rated dman in this years draft and have made the Suter/McDonagh comparison and every team needs a guy like that on their roster.

I don't think it's that crazy that some teams might have Sanderson over drysdale (I think Bob Mckenzie might have said that too or something in that sense) but I was talking more about him stepping into the NHL next season. I think the Habs board probably has some examples of some of his out there stuff in the past. Not saying he's wrong to have them because everyone looks stupid at some point when it comes to drafts using hindsight but I was just talking about in the sense if he uses it to stick himself out of the consensus.

Regardless with this draft unless Drysdale falls to #6, I kinda hope they go two forwards with the first two picks.

And then with #17 try to trade back if possible and pick up Andrae, Wallinder, or Grans

Basically if the top 2 go are Lafreniere and Byfield my ideal draft would be something like:
6 - Anyone of Rossi, Stutzle, Raymond, Holtz, Drysdale, Perfetti
10 - If any of the players from above drop/if not Lundell/Sanderson
17 (trade back option)- If any of the player from above drop/if not Gunler, Jarvis, Wallinder, Andrae, Quinn, Jarvis, Grans

Last edited:
Reactions: ChicksDigTheTrap

TBF1972

May 19, 2018
lol imagine if a draft like this happened:

With this scenario would any of you be willing to trade the #1 overall to Ottawa for #5 and #6? NJ could get Rossi, Drysdale, Holtz and Sanderson

vtdevils2k

"Lets Go Baby!"
Dec 16, 2013
Virginia
With this scenario would any of you be willing to trade the #1 overall to Ottawa for #5 and #6? NJ could get Rossi, Drysdale, Holtz and Sanderson

No. Hughes and Nico get the elite winger they desperately need for the next decade.

We should be so lucky to get the number one pick again this year.

Ripshot 43

Jul 21, 2010

No. Hughes and Nico get the elite winger they desperately need for the next decade.

We should be so lucky to get the number one pick again this year.

Let alone the other still gets Holtz who has a crazy amount of potential.

This is still an evil proposal TBF1972. I don’t know if I could make this decision without watching years of footage to decide.

Reactions: My3Sons

TBF1972

May 19, 2018
Let alone the other still gets Holtz who has a crazy amount of potential.

This is still an evil proposal TBF1972. I don’t know if I could make this decision without watching years of footage to decide.
Evil? :huh:

Ripshot 43

Jul 21, 2010
No way in hell do you do that trade. You'd have to get the 2nd and 3rd pick for the first at least.

In any draft year or in this specific one?

I would 100% agree Darkauron if #1 was a franchise type player but that isn’t the thinking amount scouts this coming draft.

In this scenario you would be getting 3 of the top 10 picks which is considered a very deep top 10. So, essentially you are getting 3 shots at your players developing into the best player in the draft so that’s why I would consider the trade proposed. Of course as I said, I would only do it if I watch the tape available and think that 5 years from now Lafreniere isn’t far and away the best player to come out of this draft.

vtdevils2k

"Lets Go Baby!"
Dec 16, 2013
Virginia
In any draft year or in this specific one?

When there isn't a clear consensus #1, I can see a discussion for a tradedown, but there's no way I'm passing on Lafreniere this year, just like I would never trade the #1 pick last year. He's projected to be an elite talent, which this team needs next to Hughes/Nico.

It IS tempting if you get offered the #2 and #3 this year because you can dream of Byfield and Drysdale, but adding an elite talent in Lafreniere to Hughes or Nico is just way too hard to pass.

vtdevils2k

"Lets Go Baby!"
Dec 16, 2013
Virginia
I would 100% agree Darkauron if #1 was a franchise type player but that isn’t the thinking amount scouts this coming draft.

In this scenario you would be getting 3 of the top 10 picks which is considered a very deep top 10. So, essentially you are getting 3 shots at your players developing into the best player in the draft so that’s why I would consider the trade proposed. Of course as I said, I would only do it if I watch the tape available and think that 5 years from now Lafreniere isn’t far and away the best player to come out of this draft.

what scouts are saying Lafreniere isn't a franchise level player?

Reactions: Taylors lost step

JrFischer54

Apr 4, 2017

so the deal is the devils land the 1 pick then they flip it to the sens for let’s assume 5&6. Yes I do that trade

devils need quality and quantity. Deep draft you get 3 out of the top 10 players? That will go a long way in plugging a ton of holes

Ripshot 43

Jul 21, 2010
what scouts are saying Lafreniere isn't a franchise level player?

I may be mistaken but I thought it was universally thought that this year didn’t have franchise level players but maybe I was confusing franchise and generational. My overall point stands, that I would still need to see all the tape to make the decision to pass on the two players that will be available at 5 and 6.

PKs Broken Stick

Oct 9, 2008
I may be mistaken but I thought it was universally thought that this year didn’t have franchise level players but maybe I was confusing franchise and generational. My overall point stands, that I would still need to see all the tape to make the decision to pass on the two players that will be available at 5 and 6.

No that was only the years the devils picked 1st overall, coincidentally. :P

Lafreniere is definitely legit.

Smitty426

Jun 25, 2006
Jersey
so the deal is the devils land the 1 pick then they flip it to the sens for let’s assume 5&6. Yes I do that trade

devils need quality and quantity. Deep draft you get 3 out of the top 10 players? That will go a long way in plugging a ton of holes
Byfield maybe, Laf no! Trade your Van pick and add player/pick/prospect/cap dump (probably all of those) to another team to move up if that is your intention. I think that would be fireable

Peter Sidorkiewicz

Devils Army
Sponsor
Oct 22, 2002
I could easily see Sanderson as a draft bolter. There are a lot of small guys ranked in the top 15 of this draft.

Personally i worry about the size of Rossi, Perfetti, Holtz and whether they could transition into playing in a bigger mens league. These guys would need to get stronger and be at least 3 years away from an NHL debut after getting drafted. I'll be nervous drafting these in the top 10. After 10 then fine, no problem picking these smaller guys.

Hence why I can see scouts favoring a safer pick like Sanderson. Someone ready to go and wouldn't need a lot of development time.

SteveCangialosi123

Feb 17, 2012
NJ
I could easily see Sanderson as a draft bolter. There are a lot of small guys ranked in the top 15 of this draft.

Personally i worry about the size of Rossi, Perfetti, Holtz and whether they could transition into playing in a bigger mens league. These guys would need to get stronger and be at least 3 years away from an NHL debut after getting drafted. I'll be nervous drafting these in the top 10. After 10 then fine, no problem picking these smaller guys.

Hence why I can see scouts favoring a safer pick like Sanderson. Someone ready to go and wouldn't need a lot of development time.
Rossi is not at least 3 years away from his debut. He’s shorter than Hughes and nearly 20 pounds heavier.

Reactions: Darkauron
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad