Prospect Info: 2020 NHL Draft - part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Devils731

Jun 23, 2008
Rossi is 3 inches shorter than Barzal was and 2 lbs heavier as well. Rossi size doesn't worry me as far as it taking three years.

Rossi is also almost the maximum age for this draft.

It wouldn’t surprise me that on the right team he pushes for an NHL spot immediately.

Reactions: R8NJD and Darkauron

Spoiled Bratt

Jun 29, 2016
I could easily see Sanderson as a draft bolter. There are a lot of small guys ranked in the top 15 of this draft.

Personally i worry about the size of Rossi, Perfetti, Holtz and whether they could transition into playing in a bigger mens league. These guys would need to get stronger and be at least 3 years away from an NHL debut after getting drafted. I'll be nervous drafting these in the top 10. After 10 then fine, no problem picking these smaller guys.

Hence why I can see scouts favoring a safer pick like Sanderson. Someone ready to go and wouldn't need a lot of development time.

I don’t want to sound like a dick but that’s the absolute worst way of going about the draft.

You don’t pick a guy for what he’ll give you in the next 24 to 36 months. You pick the guy that you think will be the best player in the long run and Rossi has top#5 potential.

Peter Sidorkiewicz

Devils Army
Sponsor
Oct 22, 2002
I don’t want to sound like a dick but that’s the absolute worst way of going about the draft.

You don’t pick a guy for what he’ll give you in the next 24 to 36 months. You pick the guy that you think will be the best player in the long run and Rossi has top#5 potential.
There will be always be old school scouts that favor size over skills.

DeBrincat tore it up in juniors and dropped to 2nd round.

This draft is going to be so unpredictable after the top 2 go.

Reactions: Darkauron

Buggsy

Sep 16, 2009
Halifax, NS
I could easily see Sanderson as a draft bolter. There are a lot of small guys ranked in the top 15 of this draft.

Personally i worry about the size of Rossi, Perfetti, Holtz and whether they could transition into playing in a bigger mens league. These guys would need to get stronger and be at least 3 years away from an NHL debut after getting drafted. I'll be nervous drafting these in the top 10. After 10 then fine, no problem picking these smaller guys.

Hence why I can see scouts favoring a safer pick like Sanderson. Someone ready to go and wouldn't need a lot of development time.

Just a note that Holtz is listed in the 6' 180 lbs range . Wouldn't call him small

Reactions: My3Sons

JrFischer54

Apr 4, 2017
The only way you trade down from #1 is if the other team gives you outrageous, fireable overpayment.
5&6 pick isn’t overpayment enough? That’s tough to pass up. Gotta think if the sens would ever offer it? Probably not because that’s bigly overpay

TBF1972

May 19, 2018
There are a ton of small forwards in the first round of the draft. Getting three forwards below 6 foot wouldn't be the ideal result. If at 6 the choice would be between Holtz, Raymond, Perfetti or Rossi, I would opt for Holtz. He fits a need and offers at least average size.

Spoiled Bratt

Jun 29, 2016
There are a ton of small forwards in the first round of the draft. Getting three forwards below 6 foot wouldn't be the ideal result. If at 6 the choice would be between Holtz, Raymond, Perfetti or Rossi, I would opt for Holtz. He fits a need and offers at least average size.

Being small is one thing but if you’re a small player but you play like you’re 6"3, size isn’t an issue. I’ve seen the opposite as well, meaning that guys who are 6"4 played like they were 5"8.

Rossi plays the game the right way and isn’t afraid to get his nose dirty. I’d be shocked if he doesn’t go in the top #5, unfortunately for us.

Reactions: My3Sons

TBF1972

May 19, 2018
Being small is one thing but if you’re a small player but you play like you’re 6"3, size isn’t an issue. I’ve seen the opposite as well, meaning that guys who are 6"4 played like they were 5"8.

Rossi plays the game the right way and isn’t afraid to get his nose dirty. I’d be shocked if he doesn’t go in the top #5, unfortunately for us.
I certainly agree with you for a single player. Rossi alone is fine.

Add Rossi, Perfetti and Jarvis to Hughes, Bratt and Gusev and the lack of size of each individual player starts to matter more.

Spoiled Bratt

Jun 29, 2016
I certainly agree with you for a single player. Rossi alone is fine.

Add Rossi, Perfetti and Jarvis to Hughes, Bratt and Gusev and the lack of size of each individual player starts to matter more.

And yet, you’re in favour of adding Dunn to our cast that includes Butcher, Smith, Subban, Severson and Mermis?

Drafting based off size is probably the last criteria you want to go by. I’ll take talent over size every time and our scouts will do the same, which is comforting to know.

Lets just say that we’re able to get Rossi and Perfetti with our 6th and 10th overall pick. You wouldn’t be thrilled to eventually see a line of Perfetti-Hughes-Rossi? Those 3 guys together would make the opposing lines so dizzy, they wouldn’t know who to cover.

Billdo

Oct 28, 2008
Ocean County
Idk if the two inches in height are enough to take him over Rossi if you think the skillset is comparable. Rossi to me is Barzal 2.0.

Reactions: Taylors lost step

TBF1972

May 19, 2018
And yet, you’re in favour of adding Dunn to our cast that includes Butcher, Smith, Subban, Severson and Mermis?

Drafting based off size is probably the last criteria you want to go by. I’ll take talent over size every time and our scouts will do the same, which is comforting to know.

Lets just say that we’re able to get Rossi and Perfetti with our 6th and 10th overall pick. You wouldn’t be thrilled to eventually see a line of Perfetti-Hughes-Rossi? Those 3 guys together would make the opposing lines so dizzy, they wouldn’t know who to cover.
Or get caved in the D-Zone. A line must work with and against the puck.

PKs Broken Stick

Oct 9, 2008

Literally none of those guys have a size issue what lol. Height doesn't really matter for a forward.

Reactions: Billdo

Spoiled Bratt

Jun 29, 2016
Idk if the two inches in height are enough to take him over Rossi if you think the skillset is comparable. Rossi to me is Barzal 2.0.

Barzal is a good comparison but I’d label Rossi to a more aggressive Mitch Marner.

All in all, whoever takes him in the 1st round will have one heck of a hockey player.

Devils731

Jun 23, 2008
Since we are talking Rossi let me promote this guys channel since I’ve watched it a bunch. He speaks for a few minutes on the player and then gives you about 10 minutes of game footage of the player.

Reactions: Billdo

Spoiled Bratt

Jun 29, 2016
Since we are talking Rossi let me promote this guys channel since I’ve watched it a bunch. He speaks for a few minutes on the player and then gives you about 10 minutes of game footage of the player.

Yeah, he’s very solid and outside of his fierce French Canadian accent, he’s a real treat to listen to.

R8Devs

1-5-6-12
Nov 20, 2010
New Jersey

giphy.gif

I wish they would just do the June draft lol

Reactions: ChicksDigTheTrap

Nico Hischier

Nov 22, 2017
I have a feeling the season will get cancelled eventually. Does anyone know what would happen with vancouvers draft pick? Would we get it or pushed to next year? I thought the conditions were on playoffs or not

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
I have a feeling the season will get cancelled eventually. Does anyone know what would happen with vancouvers draft pick? Would we get it or pushed to next year? I thought the conditions were on playoffs or not

It’s been debated for weeks what can happen, can’t happen, should happen but until the league comes out of its bunker and says something definitive it’s all up in the air.

Forge

Blissfully Mediocre
Jul 4, 2018
Vegas

I think for us, this particular trade will be easy. My guess is that the NHL would ostensibly let teams work it out. In our case, I think the original terms would apply. We'd say sure, you can keep the pick, but next year it's unprotected.

My guess is that Vancouver will happily give us this year's pick at 17 or whatever

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->