Prospect Info: 2020 NHL Draft - part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dan10900

May 10, 2020
Yeah no. Sanderson is the 2nd ranked D by far.
Nah, he's a smooth skater, but not super fast (nothing wrong with that, just not as big of a strength as people say) and I find he gets out of position and chases hits a lot while defending the rush, which is extremely worrying for me bc he doesn't have nearly the offensive upside as numerous other d men this class, being a defense first guy, his struggles at defending the rush get exposed more

Spoiled Bratt

Jun 29, 2016
Sanderson is by far the 2nd best dman in this years class and he’s probably the best overall dman as well.

I’d like to know @Dan10900 who you see as a better option and why?

Dan10900

May 10, 2020
Sanderson is by far the 2nd best dman in this years class and he’s probably the best overall dman as well.

I’d like to know @Dan10900 who you see as a better option and why?
Andrae, he's a better skater, Sanderson isn't bad, both are pretty smooth, but I'd give Andrae the edge, he's a bit faster imo, and Sanderson has minimal offensive upside, and yes he's good defensively, but he does chase hits and struggles to defend the rush more often than I'd like to see, he's still better defensively, but with his lack of offensive upside I'd take Andrae over him who has a far higher offensive upside and is no slouch defensively

Billdo

Oct 28, 2008
Ocean County
I think we'll use 6 and 10 and move 17 with someone added in (Wood, Butcher, hopefully NOT Zacha) to get a young defenseman. If Drysdale falls to 6, we take him and run while picking up Rossi or someone at 10.

Dan10900

May 10, 2020
I think we'll use 6 and 10 and move 17 with someone added in (Wood, Butcher, hopefully NOT Zacha) to get a young defenseman. If Drysdale falls to 6, we take him and run while picking up Rossi or someone at 10.
Drysdale will get picked in the top 5 bc he's a d man, not bc he's a top 5 talent, if everyone drafts BPA Rossi will be gone before him (now I'm sure everyone won't draft BPA...)

Spoiled Bratt

Jun 29, 2016
From what I've read, that is not what he projects to be. If there is articles that are contrary to this, I'd definitely be interested in reading about this. Seems like he projects moreso as a middle pair Dman and for that reason even though he may have a higher chance of realizing that potential, I'd prefer to go for someone with high end potential with maximizing as a potential top line player.

Certainly they can't all be like Makar and Hughes, but if I'm drafting in the top 10 of a deep draft, I'm aiming for players with that type of potential rather than middle pair potential.

We have Smith, Severson and Butcher but frankly other than that I don't see much that we have in the way of puck moving Dmen. Butcher I'm not convinced is more than a bottom pair Dman and may not be a potential long-term option.

I’d start off by reading the several scouting reports of @StevenToddIves as well as @Steve Kournianos, two very solid and respected experts on the matter.

I’ve also been listening to several podcast and some are even saying that Sanderson might surpass Drysdale as the best dman in this draft class when all is said and done.

Reactions: Darkauron

Pitaya

Prince of the Alps, Nico Hischier
Dec 14, 2019
Meh. I haven’t heard any of the top defense prospects hailed as being the next Lovejoy.
Wasnt Lovejoy just voted the greatest athlete of the last decade?

I swore I saw it somewhere... then again my head was kind of fuzzy and the image wasnt fully clear... and now that Im thinking about it some more I ended up going to work an hour later after a shower and a long commute...

Reactions: My3Sons

Jason MacIsaac

Jan 13, 2004
Halifax, NS
I have no interest in Sanderson, if you want a defensmen trade back with 17 and take one in the 20's and in the 2nd round. You would have a better chance at a better defensmen with those two players than drafting Sanderson at 10.

Mike27Devils

Apr 24, 2015
I have no interest in Sanderson, if you want a defensmen trade back with 17 and take one in the 20's and in the 2nd round. You would have a better chance at a better defensmen with those two players than drafting Sanderson at 10.
Sure that’s your opinion but you may look very silly if Sanderson becomes a top pairing D or maybe even a #1 D like many experts think he has the potential to be.

Jason MacIsaac

Jan 13, 2004
Halifax, NS
Sure that’s your opinion but you may look very silly if Sanderson becomes a top pairing D or maybe even a #1 D like many experts think he has the potential to be.
Someone always has to look silly in these cases, it maybe me it maybe the experts. He could very well be another John Moore just as easily as a top pair defensmen. Why take the gamble. There are so many defensmen available from 15-50, pick two in that range.

Reactions: Unknown Caller

Nico Hischier

Nov 22, 2017
I remember @StevenToddIves saying that shakir mukhamadullin has the potential be the best defenseman drafted and he could be available at 17
Mukhamadullin has the best chance to be that Chabot-type of right-under-your-nose draft steal. Terrific defensively, big and physical, exceptionally good instincts, absolute bomb of a shot. I think he could fall into the 20s, and turn into quite a great pick there.

Right now I'd rank the D thusly:

1 Drysdale
2 Mukhamadullin
3 Schneider
4 Sanderson
5 Guhle

Last year, my top 5 D were Byram, Seider, Robertson, York, Soderstrom with the consensus being (generally) Byram, Broberg, York, Soderstrom, Harley. I'm looking pretty good right now, so much as Seider is clearly a far superior prospect to Broberg. Conversely, I think I undersold Soderstrom -- I'd move him up to third-best in the class today.

Right now I have Sanderson ranked as the #4 defenseman in 2020 after Drysdale, Mukhamadullin and Schneider. He's very good, but might be more of a two-way mid-pairing player than a top-pairing guy.

I hope the Devils go for the best available player with all three of their first round picks and ignore positional bias. The Devils picked a litany of D last year who can be effective mid-pairing guys (Okhotyuk, Misyul, Vukojevic, McCarthy) and already had Reilly Walsh, who can be as well. If high-upside, potential game-breaking Fs like Mysak and Quinn are available with the Arizona/Vancouver picks, it would be unwise to reach for a D with less upside.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ripshot 43

Brooklyndevil

Jun 24, 2005
Freehold, NJ USA
I’ll be happy with Holts, Quinn, Zary or Holloway. I think Holloway will be a very good player and love Zary‘s speed, although he’s a center. Maybe Hughes moves to wing with Zary at center. So many options at 6 and 10. I believe Rossi goes top five and Drysdale does drop, I’m just not sure the Devils take him with what’s still available.

Last edited:

Nico Hischier

Nov 22, 2017
I’d start off by reading the several scouting reports of @StevenToddIves as well as @Steve Kournianos, two very solid and respected experts on the matter.
I’ve also been listening to several podcast and some are even saying that Sanderson might surpass Drysdale as the best dman in this draft class when all is said and done.
I quoted STI’s comments above on Sanderson and he does say that he might project more of a middle pair than top pair and has him ranked as the #4 defensemen in this draft

Nocashstyle

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2009
NJ
Someone always has to look silly in these cases, it maybe me it maybe the experts. He could very well be another John Moore just as easily as a top pair defensmen. Why take the gamble. There are so many defensmen available from 15-50, pick two in that range.

I mean, you could say the same thing for just about everyone drafted....

New Jersey Devils

Doc & Chico Forever
Jun 20, 2007
NJ-NYC
My updated preferences after the Big 3 (Laf, Byfield, Stutzle)

1. Raymond
2. Drysdale
3. Rossi

We're hopefully going to get one of those guys and that is exciting to think about. Unless they completely go off the board.

RSeen

Oct 26, 2011
Toronto
My updated preferences after the Big 3 (Laf, Byfield, Stutzle)

1. Raymond
2. Drysdale
3. Rossi

We're hopefully going to get one of those guys and that is exciting to think about. Unless they completely go off the board.
For me I'd flip Drysdale and Rossi.

Raymond reminds me of Barzal...having that type of player on the wing with Nico or Hughes and on the PP with them would set us up for a long time.

Reactions: Ripshot 43

Ripshot 43

Jul 21, 2010
For me I'd flip Drysdale and Rossi.

Raymond reminds me of Barzal...having that type of player on the wing with Nico or Hughes and on the PP with them would set us up for a long time.

The thought of finding one winger this draft for Nico or Jack is exciting but the possibility of adding 2 dynamic wingers to compliment those two within the same 1st round is just amazing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad