Prospect Info: 2020 NHL Draft - part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

NjDevsRR

Anything Can Happen In Jersey
Apr 24, 2012
Belmar
With Senn playing bonkers as of late we really do not need to get a goalie in the first round.

SteveCangialosi123

Feb 17, 2012
NJ
Wait, so how do you know the center will be the better player? You can't just say "elite, possibly ppg center" and then say "so-so winger", what.
Yes I can, what are you talking about? The entire point is about picking the BPA. It’s a total hypothetical. Adding an elite center helps us more than a so-so player at a position of need.

The post I was responding to literally said it would make zero sense to draft Byfield or Rossi, two of the top players in the draft, simply because they’re centers.

Forge

Blissfully Mediocre
Jul 4, 2018
Vegas
I'd look to trade 2nd + Zona's pick for Ottawa's 4th + 6th.

This is actually a fairly fascinating idea. Lets say our pick goes up to #2, and we have Arizona's at #12.

Would everyone rather have 2 & 12, or would you rather have, say, 5 and 8 (and feel free to change up the actual numbers).

I think that I'd much rather have 5 & 8 in this particular scenario.

Reactions: longislanddevil

PKs Broken Stick

Oct 9, 2008
Yes I can, what are you talking about? The entire point is about picking the BPA. It’s a total hypothetical. Adding an elite center helps us more than a so-so player at a position of need.

The post I was responding to literally said it would make zero sense to draft Byfield or Rossi, two of the top players in the draft, simply because they’re centers.

Again, how do you know the centers will be elite while the wingers will just be so-so?

NJ DevLolz

The Many Saints of Newark
Sep 30, 2017
This is actually a fairly fascinating idea. Lets say our pick goes up to #2, and we have Arizona's at #12.

Would everyone rather have 2 & 12, or would you rather have, say, 5 and 8 (and feel free to change up the actual numbers).

2 and 12 AINEC

Spoiled Bratt

Jun 29, 2016
With Senn playing bonkers as of late we really do not need to get a goalie in the first round.

So we’re passing on Askarov because Senn has been playing well for the past couple of weeks?

That doesn’t seem like a smart approach but that’s just my opinion.

SteveCangialosi123

Feb 17, 2012
NJ
Again, how do you know the centers will be elite while the wingers will just be so-so?
...you’re just not getting it. The center isn’t necessarily the better player. It is a hypothetical. I am rejecting the ridiculous notion that you should just avoid drafting someone because they’re not a position of need.

HYPOTHETICAL!!!: Even if you’re strong at center, you should absolutely add an elite center over a pretty good winger.

If you respond with “how do you know the winger will be so-so” again, I’m done.

ninetyeight

Jun 3, 2007
Finland
I would do the trade, 2+12 to 5+8. But if the Devils have Byfield at #2, then they won't. If I was the GM I'd take Rossi at #2, and I might even take Drysdale. Both of which are potentially still available at #5. You might even get both Rossi & Drysdale with 5+8. The #12 pick would still be amazing value with guys like Quinn, Zary, Gunler, Jarvis probably still available. On paper the the whole first round looks pretty strong, great time to (hopefully) have three first rounders.

Spoiled Bratt

Jun 29, 2016

I’m taking Byfield and whoever at #12 over Ottawa’s picks.

Dropping from #2, who’s a lock to be Byfield, to #5 is a risky move because you have no idea who the following picks will be. If Stutzle and Drysdale are off the board at #5 and you’re not in love with Rossi, you’re taking a big gamble when you’re certain of landing an elite top line center in Byfield.

If we’re moving down, we have to make sure our guy will be there at #5 and sometimes it means we’ll have to call teams #3 and #4 to see what they’re doing and give them a little sweetener to make sure they’re not taking our guy.

Reactions: MichaelJ

NjDevsRR

Apr 24, 2012
Belmar
So we’re passing on Askarov because Senn has been playing well for the past couple of weeks?

That doesn’t seem like a smart approach but that’s just my opinion.
Lmao, sure you also just completely ignore the context of the Devils already having a good young starting goalie in Blackwood.

We have too many holes in the D to be using a first rounder on a goalie. Sign a damn league average backup goalie to play with Mac.

Last edited:

Spoiled Bratt

Jun 29, 2016
Lmao, sure you also just completely ignore the context of the Devils already having a good young starting goalie in Blackwood.

We have too many holes in the D to he using a first rounder on a goalie. Sign a damn league average backup goalie to play with Mac.

The holes on D you’re talking about won’t be filled anytime soon by anyone in this draft, outside of Drysdale.

Blackwood is playing real well as of late but he’s no lock to be our starter for the next decade. Jumping to conclusions after watching him play 45 games is very premature.

Does he have upside, absolutely but that shouldn’t stop you from drafting the BPA at the same position Blackwood plays. Are going to pass up Byfield if we pick 2nd just because we have Hischier and Hughes?

We have no idea what our roster will look like in 3 to 5 years. The Habs took Price 5th overall when they had Theodore who just came off winning the Vezina and the MVP. Was that a bad move in retrospect, I don’t think so. The Bolts landed Vasilevskiy in the 1st round and I don’t see anyone on their board complaining about that pick.

You seem to think that whoever we draft this summer will have an impact on our immediate roster. The last Conte pick did just that and we now have a 3rd line center instead of a top pairing dman because at the time, we were thin up front.

NjDevsRR

Apr 24, 2012
Belmar
Jumping to conclusions after watching him play 45 games is very premature.

You seem to think that whoever we draft this summer will have an impact on our immediate roster.
You have a knack of putting words in others posters mouths. My opinion on Senn is also based on his performance in Sweden, not just now. My opinion on Blackwood is also beyond the 45 games in the NHL. He did well in the OHL and ECHL. I also never said who we draft will have an immediate impact at all. We have too many holes, and drafting a goalie (whose stock has been decreasing) in the first round is always risky. We already have a good young goalie and another young goalie who was good in Switzerland and is starting to perform at a high level in the AHL. There is zero reason to take that risk so why even go there? Yes, draft the BPA but the BPA skater. We need to hit a home run in the next two drafts and I am not risking that by taking a chance on a goalie when we already have a good goalie locking down the starters role. I like where we are out with my two young, 6’5” goalies. Only thing the goalie position needs right now is a capable veteran backup. Let Mac lead this team while we see how Senn progresses in Bing. I currently don’t need a first round goalie developing over the next 4/5 years.

Last edited:

Spoiled Bratt

Jun 29, 2016
You have a knack of putting words in others posters mouths. My opinion on Senn is also based on his performance in Sweden, not just now. My opinion on Blackwood is also beyond the 45 games in the NHL. He did well in crappy AHL teams. I also never said who we draft will have an immediate impact at all. We have too many holes, and drafting a goalie (whose stock has been decreasing) in the first round is always risky. We already have a good young goalie and another young goalie who was good in Sweden and is starting to perform at a high level in the AHL. There is zero reason to take that risk so why even go there? Yes, draft the BPA but the BPA skater. We need to hit a home run in the next two drafts and I am not risking that by taking a chance on a goalie when we already have a good goalie locking down the starters role.

I’m not putting any words in your mouth, you’re doing that basically on your own my friend.

We have a minimum of 3 picks in the 1st round atm, with possibly a 4th on the way, and leaving day #1 of the draft with something that can look like Drysdale/Stuztle/Rossi, Askarov and Schneider/Mukhamadullin would be flipping amazing.

If we had just our own, I’d completely agree but that not our case. The kid is 17 years old and is having a rough go for the past several weeks. Is that a reason to ignore his upside and all the "hype" that has been thrown his way from legit scouts since they’ve been following him?

NjDevsRR

Apr 24, 2012
Belmar
I’m not putting any words in your mouth, you’re doing that basically on your own my friend.

We have a minimum of 3 picks in the 1st round atm, with possibly a 4th on the way, and leaving day #1 of the draft with something that can look like Drysdale/Stuztle/Rossi, Askarov and Schneider/Mukhamadullin would be flipping amazing.
You do realize we may not be using all of these picks and can easily be packaged in a trade?

Even if we do use all the picks I am not taking a chance on a goalie, nope. Not doing it, I’m not using a first round pick on a player who has only 110 games of data to look at. If we need to draft a goalie than do it in a later round. If we didn’t have Mac then I would be all onboard.

Spoiled Bratt

Jun 29, 2016
You do realize we may not be using all of these picks and can easily be packaged in a trade?

Even if we do use all the picks I am not taking a chance on a goLie, nope. Not doing it,

You do realize that this is the draft thread, so I’ll talk about the possibility of selecting 3 prospects with our 3 picks.

If you’re not doing it, that’s fine by me but if Castron and his crew feel differently, I’d be more then happy with that selection.

NjDevsRR

Apr 24, 2012
Belmar
This is just completely wrong. Just own it.

You insuitated that I was making my point on Senn due his play in the last few weeks when I was basing it on his entire progression dating back to the Swiss League.

You then insinuated that I was ‘jumping to conclusions based on 45 games’ when I was basing Blackwood on that AND his performances in the OHL, ECHL and a solid season in Albany.

Spoiled Bratt

Jun 29, 2016
This is just completely wrong. Just own it.

You insuitated that I was making my point on Senn due his play in the last few weeks when I was basing it on his entire progression dating back to the Swiss League.

You then insinuated that I was ‘jumping to conclusions based on 45 games’ when I was basing Blackwood on that AND his performances in the OHL and ECHL.

Whatever buddy... you’re view of this entire situation isn’t solid at all.

Who cares about the stats Blackwood or Senn had 3 years ago until today. With that same mentality, drafting Askarov would be the best possible scenario because he’s blowing both of our guys out of the water at the same age.

I’ll just leave it at that, you have your opinion and I have mine. We’ll just agree to disagree.

NjDevsRR

Apr 24, 2012
Belmar
Whatever buddy... you’re view of this entire situation isn’t solid at all.

Who cares about the stats Blackwood or Senn had 3 years ago until today. With that same mentality, drafting Askarov would be the best possible scenario because he’s blowing both of our guys out of the water at the same age.

I’ll just leave it at that, you have your opinion and I have mine. We’ll just agree to disagree.
Sure, debating a difference of opinions is the concept of an online forum. But don’t hide from my statement in my last post. Just own it, it was clear as day.

Whatever route this management takes in June better be the correct one. The Devils have never held this much power for one draft.

Spoiled Bratt

Jun 29, 2016
Sure, debating a difference of opinions is the concept of an online forum. But don’t hide from my statement in my last post. Just own it, it was clear as day.

Whatever route this management takes in June better be the correct one. The Devils have never held this much power for one draft.

You came up with Senn, not me. I actually forgot all about him before you brought him up lol

If it makes you feel any better, I’m wrong and you’re right... the end.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
You guys are still arguing about Askarov?

We can't afford to use a luxury pick on a goalie in the first round unless he's BY FAR the BPA, we have too many other needs atm.

I loathed it when Lou and Conte wasted firsts on goalies while we had a 25-year old Brodeur but it was at least more understandable then when we were loaded top to bottom.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad