Prospect Info: 2020 NHL Draft - part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

TBF1972

May 19, 2018
You guys are still arguing about Askarov?

We can't afford to use a luxury pick on a goalie in the first round unless he's BY FAR the BPA, we have too many other needs atm.

I loathed it when Lou and Conte wasted firsts on goalies while we had a 25-year old Brodeur but it was at least more understandable then when we were loaded top to bottom.
The draft is not there to cover the roster needs of the moment. The draft is there to cover the roster needs of the future. Looking at Hughes I expected more people getting the lesson. If you evaluate draft prospects versus need look at the prospect pool and the youngest players on the NHL team. The rest of the roster shouldn't have any impact.

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
Steven sort of hit on how I would like to use 1-2 of those firsts if we trade. Similar to how Jordan Staal went to Carolina at age 23.

W. Nylander is an obvious candidate but wonder who else fits that profile (impact player about to enter his prime and not getting enough minutes or there's a cap crunch).

Toronto is not trading Nylander for futures. If they trade him at all, it's for a top-pairing D... something the Devils lack.

There are a couple of RFAs who may be available this off-season which intrigue me. RW Josh Anderson is a player who intrigues me -- despite an injury-marred and disastrous 2019-20 campaign, he's a legit power F who is just one-year removed from a 27-goal season. Columbus seems to be listening on offers for him, and I think it would take less than a first-round pick to acquire him.

I very much like LD Nikita Zadorov, who is another RFA, rumored to be available out of Colorado after the season. He would immediately become the biggest and most physical D on the Devils, and would be the perfect-stay-at-home pairing, something both PK Subban and Damon Severson have sorely lacked. But again, I think this is a player the Devils could acquire without sacrificing a first-round pick.

Again, it's difficult to predict who will become available via trade by the draft in June. What if Vancouver decides to make big offer for UFA Taylor Hall? All of a sudden they would be in a cap crunch and a player like Brock Boeser could hit the trade market. Or what if St. Louis re-signs Alex Pietrangelo to a max deal? Maybe they decide to make a Jaden Schwartz available.

As for now, the Devils need to plan for using all three of their first-rounders.

Reactions: Guttersniped

Forge

Blissfully Mediocre
Jul 4, 2018
Vegas
I never realized how poor the recent history has been for teams drafting three times in the first round.

Washington crushed it in 2004, but the rest of them aren't great, to be honest. Edmonton's in 07 probably the most similar to how I imagine our draft spots shake out this year.

Calgary, 2013: Sean Monahan (No. 6), Emile Poirier (No. 22), Morgan Klimchuk (No. 28)

Columbus, 2013: Alexander Wennberg (No. 14), Kerby Rychel (No. 19), Marko Dano (No. 27)

Ottawa, 2011: Mika Zibanejad (No. 6), Stefan Noesen (No. 21), Matt Puempel (No. 24)

Florida, 2010: Erik Gudbranson (No. 3), Nick Bjugstad (No. 19), Quinton Howden (No. 25)

Edmonton, 2007: Sam Gagner (No. 6), Alex Plante (No. 15), Riley Nash (No. 21)

Washington, 2004: Alex Ovechkin (No. 1), Jeff Schultz (No. 27), Mike Green (No. 29)

Los Angeles 2003: Dustin Brown (No. 13), Brian Boyle (No. 26), Jeff Tambellini (No. 27)

Washington, 2002: Steve Eminger (No. 12), Alexander Semin (No. 13), Boyd Gordon (No. 17)

Reactions: MauDevils

Nubmer6

Sleep is a poor substitute for caffeine
Sponsor
Jul 14, 2013
The Village
I never realized how poor the recent history has been for teams drafting three times in the first round.

Washington crushed it in 2004, but the rest of them aren't great, to be honest. Edmonton's in 07 probably the most similar to how I imagine our draft spots shake out this year.

Calgary, 2013: Sean Monahan (No. 6), Emile Poirier (No. 22), Morgan Klimchuk (No. 28)

Columbus, 2013: Alexander Wennberg (No. 14), Kerby Rychel (No. 19), Marko Dano (No. 27)

Ottawa, 2011: Mika Zibanejad (No. 6), Stefan Noesen (No. 21), Matt Puempel (No. 24)

Florida, 2010: Erik Gudbranson (No. 3), Nick Bjugstad (No. 19), Quinton Howden (No. 25)

Washington, 2004: Alex Ovechkin (No. 1), Jeff Schultz (No. 27), Mike Green (No. 29)

Los Angeles 2003: Dustin Brown (No. 13), Brian Boyle (No. 26), Jeff Tambellini (No. 27)

Washington, 2002: Steve Eminger (No. 12), Alexander Semin (No. 13), Boyd Gordon (No. 17)
A lot of those triplets involve later picks. Our draft positions are probably closest to Edmonton 2007, but may well be even better, and this is supposed to be a deep draft. By winning % right now, we have picks 6, 11, and 20.

Reactions: My3Sons

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
The draft is not there to cover the roster needs of the moment. The draft is there to cover the roster needs of the future. Looking at Hughes I expected more people getting the lesson. If you evaluate draft prospects versus need look at the prospect pool and the youngest players on the NHL team. The rest of the roster shouldn't have any impact.

What does Hughes have to do with anything? He wasn't drafted on need, he was drafted cause he was the consensus #1 pick.

This isn't about short-term or NHL roster needs, obviously short-term means crap in terms of the team being competitive. We need centers beyond Hughes and Nico short and long-term, especially if Hughes ever gets permanently shifted to wing. We need more wings short and long-term, especially if we wind up trading Palm/Gusev. We need defensemen short and long-term, even if we've drafted a bunch recently there's still no indication any of them will be NHL factors.

Goalie is literally the position we need the least atm given our young starter and at least another viable prospect or two, and it's the position with the most voilatility in the draft, where you have a better chance of finding starters in later rounds than you do at other positions. Given all that, the goalie better be the BPA BY A TON if you draft one in the first round. I don't see Askarov as being a BPA by a ton in the mid first-round when he's not looking quite the sure thing he did before the Worlds.

Reactions: Guttersniped

Pitaya

Prince of the Alps, Nico Hischier
Dec 14, 2019
A lot of those triplets involve later picks. Our draft positions are probably closest to Edmonton 2007, but may well be even better, and this is supposed to be a deep draft. By winning % right now, we have picks 6, 11, and 20.
Id like to think we move one of the later two in a package for a semi-proven talent

We cant draft every pick we get, thats just going to prolong this rebuild further

TBF1972

May 19, 2018
What does Hughes have to do with anything? He wasn't drafted on need, he was drafted cause he was the consensus #1 pick.

This isn't about short-term or NHL roster needs, obviously short-term means crap in terms of the team being competitive. We need centers beyond Hughes and Nico short and long-term, especially if Hughes ever gets permanently shifted to wing. We need more wings short and long-term, especially if we wind up trading Palm/Gusev. We need defensemen short and long-term, even if we've drafted a bunch recently there's still no indication any of them will be NHL factors.

Goalie is literally the position we need the least atm given our young starter and at least another viable prospect or two, and it's the position with the most voilatility in the draft, where you have a better chance of finding starters in later rounds than you do at other positions. Given all that, the goalie better be the BPA BY A TON if you draft one in the first round. I don't see Askarov as being a BPA by a ton in the mid first-round when he's not looking quite the sure thing he did before the Worlds.
I mentioned Hughes not because of positional need. I mentioned him because even as 1OA he was not ready to make an immediate impact. Later draft picks have an even lesser impact short term. So a draft pick will hardly ever fill a hole in the current line-up.

MichaelJ

May 20, 2013
So, 3 1sts?

Draft with the first two unless blown away by an offer. Make the second available but only as part of a package for a foundational piece, preferably on defense.

Oneiro

Mar 28, 2013
One of you guys or one of the reporters mentioned how at some point the 50 contract limit is going to come into play. Wonder if they'll repeat the same strategy of trading down in the later rounds for multiple picks.

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
One of you guys or one of the reporters mentioned how at some point the 50 contract limit is going to come into play. Wonder if they'll repeat the same strategy of trading down in the later rounds for multiple picks.

I imagine it's the opposite. Devils probably try to move up for better assets where possible.

And for later round picks, expect to see a lot of college UFAs, KHL guys, and goaltenders that are on a longer timeline.

Forge

Blissfully Mediocre
Jul 4, 2018
Vegas
I imagine it's the opposite. Devils probably try to move up for better assets where possible.

And for later round picks, expect to see a lot of college UFAs, KHL guys, and goaltenders that are on a longer timeline.

this is what I was thinking. I could certainly see us packaging Arizona's + Vancouver's firsts to get into the top 10 or something and have two top 10 picks. In this draft, honestly, I'd rather have that then probably 2 in the top 10 and another in the top 25 or so.

Forge

Blissfully Mediocre
Jul 4, 2018
Vegas
Big Z for Vancouver's 1 at the draft table. Do we do it? Zadorov is an RFA, 24 years old. Colorado may have issues keeping him due to the expansion draft.

OmNomNom

Taco is Love, Taco is Life
Mar 3, 2011
In the Church of Salmela

forgot to include the bruins 2015 draft - you prob didn't include bc it's fairly "recent", but they whiffed on senyshyn and zboril

Reactions: Forge

Forge

Blissfully Mediocre
Jul 4, 2018
Vegas
forgot to include the bruins 2015 draft - you prob didn't include bc it's fairly "recent", but they whiffed on senyshyn and zboril

Oh, actually I pulled it from an athletic article that was talking about how the 15 Bruins first round was not great lol. I forgot to add it back in

Reactions: OmNomNom

TBF1972

May 19, 2018
I could definitely see move a back trade with one of the first round picks to regain picks in the second or third round.

FooteBahl

Took a big shitz for Nemec
Sponsor
Jul 19, 2005
Metuchen NJ
I could definitely see move a back trade with one of the first round picks to regain picks in the second or third round.
I hope not. We don’t need more quantity, we need quality. It seems like we’re loaded with middle 6 forwards and mid-pairing defensemen in the system. We need blue-chip prospects.

Reactions: vtdevils2k

Spoiled Bratt

Jun 29, 2016
I would definitely trade up to get another pick in the top #10. For example, if Rossi falls like Caufield did last year, I’m doing everything in my power to move up. Same thing with Perfetti since his defensive game and his overall drive might cause him to slip a little.

With that said, I don’t known if I want Vancouver’s pick this year or their unprotected 1st next year. They’re not a lock by any means to make the playoffs next year and they have a lot of injury prone players as well as question marks between the pipes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad