Prospect Info: 2020 NHL Draft - part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

R8Devs

1-5-6-12
Nov 20, 2010
New Jersey

This goes in line with what most of the insiders are saying. June draft but unsure of the lottery terms. If they could just decide what teams will play in the playoffs and which teams won't be back until the 20-21 season they could just set the lottery(3 winners) to the teams who won't play in the playoffs. Hopefully they can get to a decision soon

RSeen

Oct 26, 2011
Toronto
I would not be upset if we took Rossi at 6. Kid has a ton of skill. Could be a great winger for Nico or Hughes.

Lucas Raymond looks like a good potential option as well. Kid has strong skating, elite hands and looks like he has some sick playmaking ability.

Looks to be some high skilled forwards. You would think one of Rossi, Raymond and Stutsl will be there.

Last edited:
Reactions: My3Sons

SYWTom

Dec 10, 2016
As long as they take a forward/Drysdale at 6 and don’t reach at 10/17 then I think we’ll be happy. The wingers at the top of the draft are tantalizing to say the least, and I’d include Rossi and Perfetti even though they are listed mostly at C

Nubmer6

Sleep is a poor substitute for caffeine
Sponsor
Jul 14, 2013
The Village
If 24 teams make the playoffs and Arizona loses in the first round but the teams below them win, can't we theoretically have a pick as high as 8th?

R8Devs

1-5-6-12
Nov 20, 2010
New Jersey
If 24 teams make the playoffs and Arizona loses in the first round but the teams below them win, can't we theoretically have a pick as high as 8th?
usually the rankings for the draft only change for the teams that make the conference finals/stanley cup. I guess that could change for the 24 team playoff but they also might hold the draft before the playoffs so how well/bad they do in the playoffs would not matter in that case.

Reactions: Nubmer6

BurntToast

May 27, 2007
Saratoga, New York
Is this lafriene kid really that much better then the other wingers in the draft?

To piggyback off the other replies, his WJC performance this year was epic. Everyone thought he destroyed his leg, but fortunately he was able to comeback. He played even better after the injury. Additionally, Canada struggled without him in the lineup.

There is a chance in 4-5 years, when they do a HF Boards redraft he might not be #1. There are many prospects with very high ceilings, but he is the best in 2020.

RSeen

Oct 26, 2011
Toronto
Looks like there are a lot of high end forwards in this draft and fewer D men.

Would not be opposed to taking two forwards at 6 and 10 in this draft and have them become wingers for Nico and Jack.

We would still need to address defense, but this draft seems top heavy with the forwards. Perhaps there is an option for D at 17.

Ripshot 43

Jul 21, 2010
Looks like there are a lot of high end forwards in this draft and fewer D men.

Would not be opposed to taking two forwards at 6 and 10 in this draft and have them become wingers for Nico and Jack.

We would still need to address defense, but this draft seems top heavy with the forwards. Perhaps there is an option for D at 17.

If our scouts play this draft right, we may come out with exactly what you are saying (top 6 wingers for Jack and Nico), which would be amazing considering we have Bratt, Palms and Gusev (the latter 2 which we need to deal with Free agency).

The hardest decision I see coming is if Drysdale is somehow still there at 6 and we also have high end forwards staring us in the face.

Ripshot 43

Jul 21, 2010
Just read some of Wysh’s article on “the nhl being pro tanking” if they give in to nhl
GMs. Meaning some GMs were afraid of an nhl team winning the Cup and the lottery so the nhl returned with the idea of the old lottery of moving up only 4 slots and only the 1st overall bei NY up for grabs. Essentially what this would do is guarantee the Red Wings top 2 and move their #1 overall odds from 19% to 57%.

I’ve said all along that I am not a fan of every team making a truncated playoffs. I like the idea of an expanded playoff but I really feel like they still need to make the top 3 spots available but only to teams that don’t get a shot at the Cup. The draft lottery is too fun to even give it up for one year.

PizzaAndPucks

New Jersey Angels diehard
Nov 29, 2018
If our scouts play this draft right, we may come out with exactly what you are saying (top 6 wingers for Jack and Nico), which would be amazing considering we have Bratt, Palms and Gusev (the latter 2 which we need to deal with Free agency).

The hardest decision I see coming is if Drysdale is somehow still there at 6 and we also have high end forwards staring us in the face.
You take Drysdale at 6 and can still walk away with a high upside forward with the 10 pick.

RSeen

Oct 26, 2011
Toronto

I'll defer to the experts...but based on what I see from highlights and some reading, I would be a lot more excited with drafting Stuzle, Raymond or Rossi (in that order) over Drysdale.

I think it is likely one of these are available at 6 as you have another high end potential winger in Holtz there.

I would not want either of Palms or Gusev for more than 3 years beyond next year so personally I'm not counting on them to be in the long-term plans. I'm assuming we need to replace them in our top 6. With 2 top 10 picks and 17, and given the depth of forward talent, definitely think it is possible that we do so from this draft.

We still will need help on D if we don't draft one high but I'm confident that we have a top 4 (potentially top pair) Dman in Smith.

RSeen

Oct 26, 2011
Toronto
You take Drysdale at 6 and can still walk away with a high upside forward with the 10 pick.
Or you get two high upside forwards...it just seems to me that the potential forward options at 6 will be better than any possible D option.

Obviously I'm not educated thoroughly so I am just basing my opinion off limited data and studying, but that is my current perception.

Hard not to think of how awesome Stuzle, Raymond or Rossi would be beside Nico or Hughes and on our top PP unit.

PizzaAndPucks

New Jersey Angels diehard
Nov 29, 2018
It
Or you get two high upside forwards...it just seems to me that the potential forward options at 6 will be better than any possible D option.

Obviously I'm not educated thoroughly so I am just basing my opinion off limited data and studying, but that is my current perception.

Hard not to think of how awesome Stuzle, Raymond or Rossi would be beside Nico or Hughes and on our top PP unit.
It would be nice to have a Defenseman who is an elite skater and offensive ability which is something we havent had in forever. That would certainly boost our offensive 5 on 5 numbers where we need to improve on alot. The boost to the PP is just gravy. Than we snag a player at 10 with offensive upside like Gunler Quinn or Jarvis. Its a tough call passing up on Drysdale if he is there.

RSeen

Oct 26, 2011
Toronto
It

It would be nice to have a Defenseman who is an elite skater and offensive ability which is something we havent had in forever. That would certainly boost our offensive 5 on 5 numbers where we need to improve on alot. The boost to the PP is just gravy. Than we snag a player at 10 with offensive upside like Gunler Quinn or Jarvis. Its a tough call passing up on Drysdale if he is there.
I can see the logic in that certainly. Adding top pair Dman is our biggest need but I'd still go with best player available and I'm thinking it is more than likely will be a forward.

BurntToast

May 27, 2007
Saratoga, New York
Ironically, D might not be the biggest issue. Drysdale is at least 1-2 years away, and the Devils drafted a hefty amount of Defenseman last draft. The top defensive prospects are: Walsh, Balh, Smith, Okhotyuk, Vukojevic, McCarthy, Mozik, Misyul, Hellickson then add in whoever they draft in 2020. Smith is Drysdale light but none of these prospects are being compared to Hughes, Makar. Take Drysdale, if available and they could still could get Holtz, Perffetti, Quin, Mysak as scoring wingers.

SYWTom

Dec 10, 2016
Ironically, D might not be the biggest issue. Drysdale is at least 1-2 years away, and the Devils drafted a hefty amount of Defenseman last draft. The top defensive prospects are: Walsh, Balh, Smith, Okhotyuk, Vukojevic, McCarthy, Mozik, Misyul, Hellickson then add in whoever they draft in 2020. Smith is Drysdale light but none of these prospects are being compared to Hughes, Makar. Take Drysdale, if available and they could still could get Holtz, Perffetti, Quin, Mysak as scoring wingers.

Take the BPA at 6, which IMO will probably be a forward. Unfortunately, for the Devils to really win at 10 we need teams to reach on Sanderson/Askarov so we can get another of those top 8 forwards. Again IMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad