Prospect Info: 2020 NHL Draft - part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jason MacIsaac

Jan 13, 2004
Halifax, NS
I'd agree. Him and Smith as the top pairing in 3 years would be magical.
I don't think you would ever put those two together in the NHL, they would never break a cycle. Ideally if all defensmen hit their potential you want to pair them something like this.

Okhotyuk - Drysdale
Smith - Misyul
Vukojevic - Walsh

Separate from puck, give it to Drysdale/Smith.

Spoiled Bratt

Jun 29, 2016
I’d take the best forward at #6, Sanderson at #10 and BPA at #17.

Sanderson at #10 is being very undervalued by our board IMO. He’s the prototypical dman that isn’t flashy but will do everything right, in all situations and would log the most minutes of our entire blue line every single night.

SYWTom

Dec 10, 2016
If Drysdale is there @ 6 he will be the BPA.

I’m glad you are all knowing and can tell that no GM will reach. I for one think it’s a possibility he’s there with Perfetti/Rossi/Holtz available too. That’d make the decision tougher

Mike27Devils

Apr 24, 2015
I’d take the best forward at #6, Sanderson at #10 and BPA at #17.

Sanderson at #10 is being very undervalued by our board IMO. He’s the prototypical dman that isn’t flashy but will do everything right, in all situations and would log the most minutes of our entire blue line every single night.
Reports are surfacing that a decent amount of scouts actually like Sanderson better than Drysdale now so I'd say there's a good chance of him being gone by 10.

PizzaAndPucks

New Jersey Angels diehard
Nov 29, 2018
I don't think you would ever put those two together in the NHL, they would never break a cycle. Ideally if all defensmen hit their potential you want to pair them something like this.

Okhotyuk - Drysdale
Smith - Misyul
Vukojevic - Walsh

Separate from puck, give it to Drysdale/Smith.
Your lineup lacks Kevin Bahl. Also I think we drafted D heavy the last year or two but aside From Smith all of them have potential to be 2nd or 3rd pairing d men. The need for another high end and possibly elite defenseman is still there. If Drysdale was a little bit bigger I would imagine he would go #2 in this draft , if he hasn't made a case for that already by now.

Reactions: Taylors lost step

Spoiled Bratt

Jun 29, 2016
Reports are surfacing that a decent amount of scouts actually like Sanderson better than Drysdale now so I'd say there's a good chance of him being gone by 10.

I wouldn’t be surprised if that’s the case. You win championships with guys like Sanderson.

I’m not saying you don’t do the same with Drysdale but I’d personally take the guy who you can slide in any situation, down by 1 or up by 1, over the offensive dynamo.

Jason MacIsaac

Jan 13, 2004
Halifax, NS
Your lineup lacks Kevin Bahl. Also I think we drafted D heavy the last year or two but aside From Smith all of them have potential to be 2nd or 3rd pairing d men. The need for another high end and possibly elite defenseman is still there. If Drysdale was a little bit bigger I would imagine he would go #2 in this draft , if he hasn't made a case for that already by now.
Yea I forgot about him for a minute, quickly went through our last 3 drafts.

Puckclektr

Jul 15, 2004
GTA
Anybody think of the possibility going Drysdale at #6 and then Sanderson at #10.
And hoping to get Quinn at #17(stretch)if not Foerster is a great sniper that can play RW/C.
Easier to find top 6 forwards with free agency than it is top pairing defense. It’s would be nice but if we can re-sign Goose and Palmeiri to decent contracts our forwards will look good. I’d love to grab a top forward but the potential to get two top pairing d is enticing.

?-Nico-Palmeiri
Gusev-Zacha-Bratt
Foote-Hughes-?Foerster,Clarke,Quinn
Anderson-McLeod-Merkley
I think that we could make a top line but it looks like it could be three second lines.
?= Kuokkanen, Boqvist, wood, FA, Etc

Sanderson,
Drysdale
Smith
Severson
bahl
butcher
Etc

I think a lot of it obviously depends on who is available at what positions. Good chance someone could drop or be gone by a certain point. And we could end up with two really good forwards at 6 &10 but I really think we need to address the defense. I’m reality I think it will be a forward and defense with top two picks. Thoughts?

Spoiled Bratt

Jun 29, 2016
If by some miracle Drysdale is there at #6 and none of the top forwards fell to #10, I’d be thrilled to take Sanderson at that spot. With the #17th pick, I’d try and swing a homerun with Amirov, Mysak or even Lapierre (I know he has a concussion history but he has elite skills when healthy and that’s why I said I’d try and hit a HR).

Potentially leaving the draft with the 2 best dmen and a very skilled forward would be amazing.

Reactions: Nubmer6 and Forge

devilos

Jun 18, 2012
Arlington, VA
If the draft is held in June and renegotiating of conditional picks is allowed, would it make more sense to renegotiate for VAN's 2021 first (as trade bait later or to spread out firsts) or hang on to it for this year? Not knowledgeable enough on the potential 2021 draft class to know what might be of more value.

Forge

Blissfully Mediocre
Jul 4, 2018
Vegas
If by some miracle Drysdale is there at #6 and none of the top forwards fell to #10, I’d be thrilled to take Sanderson at that spot. With the #17th pick, I’d try and swing a homerun with Amirov, Mysak or even Lapierre (I know he has a concussion history but he has elite skills when healthy and that’s why I said I’d try and hit a HR).

Potentially leaving the draft with the 2 best dmen and a very skilled forward would be amazing.

I'd be okay with this. The forwards needs some help, but if you expect improvement / positive regression from Jack, think guys look merk, Anderson, kuokkanen can help out consistently, the offense probably isn't as bad as it was at times, and I like the pipeline tbh.

Forge

Blissfully Mediocre
Jul 4, 2018
Vegas
If the draft is held in June and renegotiating of conditional picks is allowed, would it make more sense to renegotiate for VAN's 2021 first (as trade bait later or to spread out firsts) or hang on to it for this year? Not knowledgeable enough on the potential 2021 draft class to know what might be of more value.

I'd always gamble on the unprotected side as opposed to getting a middle late first, so I'd send it to next year.

That being said it really depends on what happens with the league and trading. There are teams who have to unload players, and a pick like Vancouver's is valuable for that

Spoiled Bratt

Jun 29, 2016
I'd be okay with this. The forwards needs some help, but if you expect improvement / positive regression from Jack, think guys look merk, Anderson, kuokkanen can help out consistently, the offense probably isn't as bad as it was at times, and I like the pipeline tbh.

All in all, we’re in the drivers seat with potentially 2 picks in the top #10. This draft class looks amazing if you’re picking in the top #10 and outside of Ottawa, I think we’re the 2nd best placed team when it comes to this years draft... and that includes Detroit who might land the #1 overall pick.

RSeen

Oct 26, 2011
Toronto
None of those guys project as top 6 guys let alone top line players.

We don't really have any forward prospects that project to be top liners. Gusev and Palmeri are potentially going to be out of the picture.

I would not be afraid to go after two forwards with the top picks, considering how talented they appear to be and what they project to be.

RSeen

Oct 26, 2011
Toronto
Anybody think of the possibility going Drysdale at #6 and then Sanderson at #10.
And hoping to get Quinn at #17(stretch)if not Foerster is a great sniper that can play RW/C.
Easier to find top 6 forwards with free agency than it is top pairing defense. It’s would be nice but if we can re-sign Goose and Palmeiri to decent contracts our forwards will look good. I’d love to grab a top forward but the potential to get two top pairing d is enticing.

?-Nico-Palmeiri
Gusev-Zacha-Bratt
Foote-Hughes-?Foerster,Clarke,Quinn
Anderson-McLeod-Merkley
I think that we could make a top line but it looks like it could be three second lines.
?= Kuokkanen, Boqvist, wood, FA, Etc

Sanderson,
Drysdale
Smith
Severson
bahl
butcher
Etc

I think a lot of it obviously depends on who is available at what positions. Good chance someone could drop or be gone by a certain point. And we could end up with two really good forwards at 6 &10 but I really think we need to address the defense. I’m reality I think it will be a forward and defense with top two picks. Thoughts?
I'm definitely not for that personally. Sanderson doesn't seem like he has high end potential.

If I'm picking top 10, I'm going for game breaking talent, especially in this draft.

Reactions: Puckclektr

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007

We don't really have any forward prospects that project to be top liners. Gusev and Palmeri are potentially going to be out of the picture.

Foote? But yeah I agree with the general premise. If everything breaks our way we’ll have a legit top six in a couple years, but that’s if Nico, Bratt, Foote and Hughes all pan out and Palm/Gusev both re-sign.

Forge

Blissfully Mediocre
Jul 4, 2018
Vegas

I would not be afraid to go after two forwards with the top picks, considering how talented they appear to be and what they project to be.

Agreed, though I think there are middle six tweeners in there.

We are a team that is bad enough to go any which way we want. My preferred stance on picks 6 & 10 would be F / Sanderson, then probably Drysdale / Sanderson, then F / F, then D / F.

I think the best value comes with the first one. Top 6 forward in Holtz / Rossi / etc along with Sanderson, who I think is going to be a somewhat safe middle D pairing (or even Drysdale...won't completely rule that out) if not better. Also, I think the dropoff between Drysdale / Sanderson is better than the drop off from the Ross / Perfetti / Holtz / etc forward group to the likes of Lundell, Quinn, etc.

Last edited:
Reactions: Taylors lost step

RSeen

Oct 26, 2011
Toronto
Foote? But yeah I agree with the general premise. If everything breaks our way we’ll have a legit top six in a couple years, but that’s if Nico, Bratt, Foote and Hughes all pan out and Palm/Gusev both re-sign.
Forgot about him. I would think he does have top six potential.

Do we want Palm and Gusev to resign? I definitely do not want Palmeri. I believe he will get 6 or 7 years and will be 30 by then. Gusev I could see getting less years because he would have less of a track history in the NHL, but to me that is still debatable if we are going over 4 years.

If everything does not break right and/or Palm and Gusev leave, we have significant holes. Drafting a couple of potential top line/top 6 wingers could be a smart hedge.

RSeen

Oct 26, 2011
Toronto

We are a team that is bad enough to go any which way we want. My preferred stance on picks 6 & 10 would be F / Sanderson, then probably Drysdale / Sanderson, then F / F, then D / F.

I think the best value comes with the first one. Top 6 forward in Holtz / Rossi / etc along with Sanderson, who I think is going to be a somewhat safe middle sixer (or even Drysdale...won't completely rule that out) if not better. Also, I think the dropoff between Drysdale / Sanderson is better than the drop off from the Ross / Perfetti / Holtz / etc forward group to the likes of Lundell, Quinn, etc.
That is a valid thought process as far as with the incremental drop off from a positional standpoint.

I'd prefer us go with the best player available, excluding goaltenders who I would stay away from in the first round. I feel with going with this method, that the most likely outcome would be two forwards.

Spoiled Bratt

Jun 29, 2016
I'm definitely not for that personally. Sanderson doesn't seem like he has high end potential.

If I'm picking top 10, I'm going for game breaking talent, especially in this draft.

If you’re saying that having a Ryan Suter/Ryan McDonagh type of dman isn’t a solid pickup with the 10th overall pick in this years draft, I don’t know what to say.

We already have our center depth with Nico and Jack, adding wingers to complement them will be a lot easier then trying to add first pairing dmen.

Not playing a sexy game isn’t a bad thing when it comes to dmen. They can’t all be like Cale Makar or Quinn Hughes and if you pair the 2 guys I mentioned with a lockdown stud, you’ll be able to play those guys 24 minutes a night. We have several offensive minded dmen in our system and landing the best all around dmen wouldn’t be a bad thing at all.

Hockey, or any other sport for that matter, isn’t just about offense.

Spoiled Bratt

Jun 29, 2016

I think the best value comes with the first one. Top 6 forward in Holtz / Rossi / etc along with Sanderson, who I think is going to be a somewhat safe middle sixer (or even Drysdale...won't completely rule that out) if not better. Also, I think the dropoff between Drysdale / Sanderson is better than the drop off from the Ross / Perfetti / Holtz / etc forward group to the likes of Lundell, Quinn, etc.

Same here.

It all depends on Drysdale being there at #6 and if one of Rossi/Holtz/Raymond/Perfetti drops to #10.

Leaving the draft with Drysdale and Sanderson with the 6th and 10th overall pick would be freaking amazing.

RSeen

Oct 26, 2011
Toronto
If you’re saying that having a Ryan Suter/Ryan McDonagh type of dman isn’t a solid pickup with the 10th overall pick in this years draft, I don’t know what to say.

We already have our center depth with Nico and Jack, adding wingers to complement them will be a lot easier then trying to add first pairing dmen.

Not playing a sexy game isn’t a bad thing when it comes to dmen. They can’t all be like Cale Makar or Quinn Hughes and if you pair the 2 guys I mentioned with a lockdown stud, you’ll be able to play those guys 24 minutes a night. We have several offensive minded dmen in our system and landing the best all around dmen wouldn’t be a bad thing at all.

Hockey, or any other sport for that matter, isn’t just about offense.
From what I've read, that is not what he projects to be. If there is articles that are contrary to this, I'd definitely be interested in reading about this. Seems like he projects moreso as a middle pair Dman and for that reason even though he may have a higher chance of realizing that potential, I'd prefer to go for someone with high end potential with maximizing as a potential top line player.

Certainly they can't all be like Makar and Hughes, but if I'm drafting in the top 10 of a deep draft, I'm aiming for players with that type of potential rather than middle pair potential.

We have Smith, Severson and Butcher but frankly other than that I don't see much that we have in the way of puck moving Dmen. Butcher I'm not convinced is more than a bottom pair Dman and may not be a potential long-term option.

Reactions: Nico Hischier
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad