2020 NHL Draft Part 9

Status
Not open for further replies.

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
I'm still expecting a decision on that at some point in the very near future. They'll hate doing it but they pretty much have to right ?

I can't see how they get around it any other way.. you can't have highly touted prospects just sitting for a full year. You think Trevor Lawrence in the NCAA football program is going to want to not play competitive games during his final season before entering the NFL draft?

Goldenhands

Slaf_The_Great
Sponsor
Aug 21, 2016
If not Lafreniere, Quinn or Holtz. We need shoot first mentality guys and these two have size and can score. And don't be so desperate to unload the vets. The right plan is a combo of vets and youth. Guys we should move out are Lehkonen and Byron at some point in the next season or two.
Holtz is barely 6 foot and doesnt play big...

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I actually see more “power forward” potential in Holtz than Quinn, but Quinn to me is still the better overall all around player- but Holtz has more potential. If that makes any sense lol.

regardless, I rank both very closely and we’d be lucky to land either.

Both likely turn into top 6F in the end. Don't see much bust issues in their games. Quinn is a late riser that is hard to nail down in terms of his base/ceiling potential. Holtz has been steady eddy in his draft value and has played against men already.

I'm fine with either. You guys sold me on Quinn. But still have concerns of him dominating as a big forward in the CHL (Age 16-19 with some 20's) and playing on a stacked top 6.

I think bust factor is higher with Quinn than Holtz though

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
Yeah, it's painfully obvious. Suzuki is really our only threat with the puck on his stick and while I am higher than you on Kotkaniemi, he's still a guy who creates offense through smarts and playmaking, he isn't what I call a game breaker the way Suzuki can be or the way a Malkin is.
That's why I'm on the Cole Perfetti train. I think he has the best offensive upside out of anyone not named Laff, Stutzle or Byfield. I'll be surprised if he is there at 9 though.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
That's why I'm on the Cole Perfetti train. I think he has the best offensive upside out of anyone not named Laff, Stutzle or Byfield. I'll be surprised if he is there at 9 though.

Remember Perfetti's ranking a year ago? I seem to recall he was rated very very high? Rankings in October of 2019 from Sportsnet... Perfetti was 2nd. Sportsnet’s 2020 NHL Draft Prospect Rankings: October - Sportsnet.ca

October Rankings (From Sportsnet). Anybody find other rankings from that point in time?
Lafreniere
Perfetti
Lundell
Byfield
Lapierre
Rossi
Raymond
Drysdale
Holtz
Barron
Stutzle
Holloway
Askarov
Gunler
Guhle
Nybeck
Schnieder
Perreault
Ponomarev
Gushchin
Foudy
Smilanic
Mysak
Cuylle
Bourque
Sourdif
Pytlik
Zary
Stranges
Rochette
O'Rourke

1000eeer

Jan 28, 2020
Quebec city

I'm on Perfetti bandwagon too. He could be a slam dunk. Yes he's on the smaller side but you can always make trades happen. I heard a couple of analysts say that he has the potential to be a 100 points guy in the NHL. One way or the other, he's a game changer and that's exactly what we need.

A guy like Lucas raymond could also fit the bill.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Skating and size concerns have made him drop

Just interesting to see the ranking movement in less than 12 months. He did have a pretty dominating age 17/18 season in the OHL.

Another interesting observation is Quinn's ranking in October? I don't see him on The Hockey Writers list at all and they went 4 rounds. Anybody have McKenzie's rankings in October? How one season changes things is very interesting.

https://thehockeywriters.com/2020-nhl-draft-rankings-october-fisher/

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Seems like another Juulsen. Not that there is anything wrong with that. Would be a decent 2nd round selection.

More like a Brook IMO. Barron is not as good in his own end as McIsaac. Barron is a big dude that skates very well when he puts his head down and turns on the jets. But I question his hockey IQ and vision. Juulsen to me was always known for his steady play and being reliable in his own end. Brook has similar size and skating package.

The Little Viking

Jul 7, 2017
Austin TX
More like a Brook IMO. Barron is not as good in his own end as McIsaac. Barron is a big dude that skates very well when he puts his head down and turns on the jets. But I question his hockey IQ and vision. Juulsen to me was always known for his steady play and being reliable in his own end. Brook has similar size and skating package.

I was referring to the limited offensive upside. Probably splitting hairs

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I was referring to the limited offensive upside. Probably splitting hairs

Fair but I would say he has a Brook style of game more than Juulsen. If we draft Barron in the 2nd round, we have 4 RD's who might be 4D or all bottom pairing. I rather use our darts for higher upside type picks at this stage.

It's funny to me. This was considered a deep draft for a while now and to start the season... Barron and Lapierre were considered top 10 fringe picks? Quinn was not even on anybodies radar and Lundell was top 5. Just goes to show how much movement there is and how much more to come from ages 18-20/21. It happens all the time and not many prepared for the up/down movement and how much luck plays a factor.

How did the Habs get Romanov? They had their Euro combine and go a good look at his skating and overall game. He likely stood out. Then they took him early which is the right thing to do.

Last edited:
Reactions: Fenris

Stive Morgan

Mhm. Mhm. Mhm.
Jul 25, 2011
British Columbia
@Stive Morgan 's very own Everett Silvertips hold his CHL rights. He'd lose his college eligibility but it would be better than another year of junior A hockey.

On the topic of Tips picks and not committing, I find it odd how so many (especially Americans like Jones & Matthews) refuse to commit to the Silvertips when they have an excellent track record of developing players (especially defensemen) and then end up playing somewhere other than the NCAA anyways.

Pompeius Magnus

May 18, 2014
Kanata ,ON
On the topic of Tips picks and not committing, I find it odd how so many (especially Americans like Jones & Matthews) refuse to commit to the Silvertips when they have an excellent track record of developing players (especially defensemen) and then end up playing somewhere other than the NCAA anyways.
My guess would be that the ''Kevin Constantine factor'' may have played a part in that . He had a terrible reputation for being no fun to play for and for being a wet blanket on talented players. Him leaving was very good news for the organization in my book.

Last edited:
Reactions: Stive Morgan

Goldenhands

Slaf_The_Great
Sponsor
Aug 21, 2016
Hey, what do you think about Seeley? Personally Im a huge fan, I think there is some very high potential in this kid, but most of the posters over here seems to desagree with me, whats your personal take on him?

Reactions: Stive Morgan
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad