2020 NHL Draft Part 9

Status
Not open for further replies.

calder candidate

Feb 25, 2003
Montreal
Visit site
What do you guys think of Tristen Robins as a pick with one of our seconds? He looks like a gamer from what I've seen.
I like him, you always want to draft a guy as late as possible and it always depends on who is left but he is the kind of guy I won’t want to miss out so I defiantly willing to take him with the last 2nd. But he might already be gone...

SOLR

Jun 4, 2006
Toronto / North York
I like him, you always want to draft a guy as late as possible and it always depends on who is left but he is the kind of guy I won’t want to miss out so I defiantly willing to take him with the last 2nd. But he might already be gone...

Think Tristen is a good player, however, I'm not seeing a lot of NHL-level qualities about him to build around (he's the well-rounded style without anything being exceptional). For this reason, Id rather takes a risk on a Carter Savoie, who has an NHL shot for sure.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
giphy.gif

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
Would you guys take Barron in 2nd round? I see skating and size, but little else. Offense not there despite 3rd year junior. Injury issues also. Upside #4, likely a bottom pairing dman.

MON4NHLTOR4MLB

Oct 3, 2019
When it comes to Price, look at the defensive units he’s had in front of him since being drafted. MAYBE one half decent d-corps. The rest have been god awful. And yet, he’s still saved this teams ass and stolen tons of games for them. You want to blame someone for him not bringing a cup? Blame Molson and management for never fully going all in to give the secondary scoring and defence needed in the playoffs.

Reactions: TooLegitToQuit

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
Would you guys take Barron in 2nd round? I see skating and size, but little else. Offense not there despite 3rd year junior. Injury issues also. Upside #4, likely a bottom pairing dman.

I would.. he's a really good skater, very good defensively, has enough offense in him to be a player and not get stuck in his own end.

He isn't my first choice, at all, but we could definitely do a lot worse. I see him as a second pairing guy.

Reactions: Fenris and SOLR

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I would.. he's a really good skater, very good defensively, has enough offense in him to be a player and not get stuck in his own end.

He isn't my first choice, at all, but we could definitely do a lot worse. I see him as a second pairing guy.

Watch Barron's ability to run the PP and how he keeps his head down when he rushes the puck. I see why people like him... big boy that skates well and has a solid shot but I question his hockey IQ and vision to be honest.

2nd round pick? Not so sure I would and I would go after a higher ceiling type. I don't hate Barron but I don't see him being better than any one of Juulsen, Fleury, or Brook.

Comes down to what's still on the board I guess

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
When it comes to Price, look at the defensive units he’s had in front of him since being drafted. MAYBE one half decent d-corps. The rest have been god awful. And yet, he’s still saved this teams ass and stolen tons of games for them. You want to blame someone for him not bringing a cup? Blame Molson and management for never fully going all in to give the secondary scoring and defence needed in the playoffs.

100% agree. Those fans who keep turning on Price don't understand the circumstance of the team D in front of him. Therrien had a defense 1st system and forced our team to dump pucks out at the cost of possession and Julien has a different system that is exposing Price more. The amount of turnovers when we are trying to exit our own zone is a huge issue with me... it's lead to a lot of goals against!

Aside from Danult, our centers are not mature enough yet and we expect our wingers to be puck possession guys as well. Flaws will take time to fix

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
Price better than we think. Habs had 3 defensemen in league top 10 in turnovers. That is terrible for defensemen. Usually when defensemen turn it over leads to good scoring chance

ahmedou

DOU
Oct 7, 2017
‎NHL Draft Class: Guest: Damphousse, NHL Central Scouting; QMJHL draft prospect analysis on Apple Podcasts
Lafreniere's ability to play in the NHL next season is one of the topics discussed with Damphousse of NHL Central Scouting. Damphousse joins hosts Kimelman and Morreale of NHL.com to discuss some of the other top NHL draft prospects from the Quebec Major Junior Hockey League, including Chicoutimi forward Lapierre, Halifax defenseman Barron, Saint John defenseman Poirier and more.

calder candidate

Feb 25, 2003
Montreal
Visit site
Think Tristen is a good player, however, I'm not seeing a lot of NHL-level qualities about him to build around (he's the well-rounded style without anything being exceptional). For this reason, Id rather takes a risk on a Carter Savoie, who has an NHL shot for sure.

Savoie is rank higher on almost every list pretty sure most list have him 20 to 60, if you want him your likely have to pick him with the early 2nd and for me I have no issues if we pass on him because chance are there will be player that I like more at the point.
Racking up point against weaker competition on a team that dominated the it league, there just something that doesn’t clic for me but I can see the skill and upsides. On the other hand Robins is rank 60-100+ by most but even if he doesn’t seem to have that one quality that stick out (To me that more him using what even is best in the current situation rather than him relying on a particular strenght or the seem trick over and over) he is near the top of the list in almost every category doing it against bigger and better competition and he and is team was on fire to finish the year. Again Not sure why but to me he is a guy that will be able to translate and a guy I wouldn’t want to miss out on, so I would be willing to reach for him a lot more than I be willing to reach for Savoie at there respective position.

SOLR

Jun 4, 2006
Toronto / North York
Savoie is rank higher on almost every list pretty sure most list have him 20 to 60, if you want him your likely have to pick him with the early 2nd and for me I have no issues if we pass on him because chance are there will be player that I like more at the point.
Racking up point against weaker competition on a team that dominated the it league, there just something that doesn’t clic for me but I can see the skill and upsides. On the other hand Robins is rank 60-100+ by most but even if he doesn’t seem to have that one quality that stick out (To me that more him using what even is best in the current situation rather than him relying on a particular strenght or the seem trick over and over) he is near the top of the list in almost every category doing it against bigger and better competition and he and is team was on fire to finish the year. Again Not sure why but to me he is a guy that will be able to translate and a guy I wouldn’t want to miss out on, so I would be willing to reach for him a lot more than I be willing to reach for Savoie at there respective position.

For sure, weaker competition. He has a weapon as a shot however, it's nice to see. The kind of single-skill player that can become Michael Ryders.

calder candidate

Feb 25, 2003
Montreal
Visit site
For sure, weaker competition. He has a weapon as a shot however, it's nice to see. The kind of single-skill player that can become Michael Ryders.
Ryder is the first player that comes to mind when I saw Savoie, which is great outcome for a pick but I just saw to much floating around not moving is feet (Not the most dynamic too start with) and not driving the play or engaging in the dirty area just kinda waiting for someone to get him the puck, he can turn it on but seem consistency is a issue (maybe I only saw some bad games) but against that level of competition is smart and shot are more than enough to get amazing production. He has the potential to be a top 6 winger but I also feel he might bust, Robins on the other hand just seem to show more intensity in all 3 zone and even if the ceiling isn’t has high I still think it is intriguing he kinda remind me of Domi (good skater, puck handling, passing and play with a edge) and to me even if he doesn’t reach it he can still be a high energy player who can contribute with some secondary scoring like a Pageau. Will see how it unfold on draft day, I’m perfectly fine with drafting Savoie but Robins is a player that I be sad if we weren’t able to draft.

Goldenhands

Slaf_The_Great
Sponsor
Aug 21, 2016
Im not feeling confortable going foward with KK and Suzuki as our top 2 centers, while I wouldnt call Suzuki soft by any means, he still gets outmuscled too easily by bigger centers, ideally, Suzuki would be more suited for the wing where he would have less responsabilities and let his offensive creativity operate... Thats why I think Lundell makes alot of sense next draft if we keep drafting 9th...

For me its Quinn or Lundell since we desperatly need to beef up our top 6, cant win with talended smurfs only...

Caufield KK Suzuki

Drouin Lundell Ylonen

Domi Poehling Gallagher

Reactions: AlexGretzchenvid

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Im not feeling confortable going foward with KK and Suzuki as our top 2 centers, while I wouldnt call Suzuki soft by any means, he still gets outmuscled too easily by bigger centers, ideally, Suzuki would be more suited for the wing where he would have less responsabilities and let his offensive creativity operate... Thats why I think Lundell makes alot of sense next draft if we keep drafting 9th...

For me its Quinn or Lundell since we desperatly need to beef up our top 6, cant win with talended smurfs only...

Caufield KK Suzuki

Drouin Lundell Ylonen

Domi Poehling Gallagher

If not Lafreniere, Quinn or Holtz. We need shoot first mentality guys and these two have size and can score. And don't be so desperate to unload the vets. The right plan is a combo of vets and youth. Guys we should move out are Lehkonen and Byron at some point in the next season or two.

WeThreeKings

Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
While size would benefit us, we need high end talent up front more than anything.

Yeah, it's painfully obvious. Suzuki is really our only threat with the puck on his stick and while I am higher than you on Kotkaniemi, he's still a guy who creates offense through smarts and playmaking, he isn't what I call a game breaker the way Suzuki can be or the way a Malkin is.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
While size would benefit us, we need high end talent up front more than anything.

We need a player with both size and skill and his skating is not horrible. Someone who can hold onto the puck for more than a few seconds down low on the offensive end FFS.. We need about two of them at least

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Yeah, it's painfully obvious. Suzuki is really our only threat with the puck on his stick and while I am higher than you on Kotkaniemi, he's still a guy who creates offense through smarts and playmaking, he isn't what I call a game breaker the way Suzuki can be or the way a Malkin is.

Agreed. Suzuki has the it factor and makes things happen. Kotkaniemi to me won't be a 1C from what I see today. He has the tools to have a complete game but I project him as a 200' center and someone who can be a 2C or 3C. Suzuki has 1C ability, Kotkaniemi does not (at this stage anyways).

Suzuki will reach his ceiling faster than Kotkaniemi. Kotkaniemi may close the gap in a few years but not sure he will ever pass him

WeThreeKings

Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
Agreed. Suzuki has the it factor and makes things happen. Kotkaniemi to me won't be a 1C from what I see today. He has the tools to have a complete game but I project him as a 200' center and someone who can be a 2C or 3C. Suzuki has 1C ability, Kotkaniemi does not (at this stage anyways).

Suzuki will reach his ceiling faster than Kotkaniemi. Kotkaniemi may close the gap in a few years but not sure he will ever pass him

I don't think he will and that is saying more about Suzuki than it does about Kotkaniemi. Which is fine, because as long as KK continues to get bigger, faster and gain confidence, he's a great punch behind Suzuki.. a tall, big center who can create plays is always a tough match-up and is kind of like throwing a fastball after you hit them with a breaking ball (Suzuki). So it will be nice to have that diversity down the middle.

Reactions: TooLegitToQuit

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I don't think he will and that is saying more about Suzuki than it does about Kotkaniemi. Which is fine, because as long as KK continues to get bigger, faster and gain confidence, he's a great punch behind Suzuki.. a tall, big center who can create plays is always a tough match-up and is kind of like throwing a fastball after you hit them with a breaking ball (Suzuki). So it will be nice to have that diversity down the middle.

I see it the same way. Add Danault. Suzuki, Kotkaniemi, Danault are great depth up the middle with each of them bringing different things to the table. And we got guys like Evans, Hillis, Olofsson who can try to nail down a 4C spot. Poehling is a power winger to me. My strategy would be to try hard to keep the Danault line in tack and find the right wingers for Suzuki and Kotkaniemi. A great strategy is to have 3 very good lines and maybe we can say they are all 2nd line qualities.

Domi / Suzuki / Holtz or Quinn
Drouin / Kotkaniemi / Caufield
Tatar / Danault / Gallagher
Poehling / Evans / Armia

If we get Lafreniere? We can shuffle things around
Lafreniere / Suzuki / Drouin
Domi / Kotkaniemi / Caufield
Tatar / Danault / Gallagher
Poehling / Evans / Armia

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Where does a guy like Kent Johnson play next year if the NCAA is canceled? Another year of BCHL? 21 draft could get very messed up in terms of trying to evaluate talent

Reactions: Stive Morgan
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad