NHL Entry Draft 2020 NHL Draft Discussion - PART XII [We got 3-5]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
definitely not worth it then. 3rd and 5th is an overpayment
I don’t think it’s an overpayment. It is what it is. I think both teams at the end of the day in 5-10 years would be satisfied with the deal. But rangers want to win next year. Laf contributes day 1. He doesn’t move.

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
It makes sense for both Brady and the org to sign long term this off season

4M - massive escrow year and deferral
4M - mass esc year
6M - new TV deal but still static revenue
6M - most in SB for tax purposes
10M - high SB paid Jan 1
10M - high SB paid Jan 1
10M - high SB paid Jan 1
10M - high SB paid Jan 1

8 x 7.5M

Why Brady does it - guaranteed 60M, minimizes escrow over the term, guarantees best taxation scenarios.

Why Melnyk does it - kicks financial can down the road, SBs on Jan 1 provides cash flow from 1st half of season game day revenues, locks in player to FYOUS which translates to great team by the time local broadcast rights are up for grabs in 5 years.

Win Win

I can understand signing Brady to be in the team's interest. But it isn't in Brady's interest. It wasn't before covid and it definitely isn't now.

Reactions: BondraTime

bicboi64

Aug 13, 2020
Brampton
I'm intrigued by how much fans like Brady. Don't get me wrong, if he's a long term senator, i won't be sad at all but if NYR wanted him for Laf up front I'd do that in a heart beat. I don't dislike Brady but at the end of the day my personal preference is to worry about the intangibles and all that after having franchise guys like Laf. I don't know if I consider Brady a franchise player. He has all the tools to be a very valuable piece but at the same time, if we don't have elite point producers to help us get into the playoffs, we won't even get to see the best Brady has to offer imo. Love reading the perspectives on Brady btw, would love to change the way I feel about him and for him to make me eat some humble pie after playing in a way that makes me see what y'all do :)

Polar Bear

May 15, 2018
I'm intrigued by how much fans like Brady. Don't get me wrong, if he's a long term senator, i won't be sad at all but if NYR wanted him for Laf up front I'd do that in a heart beat. I don't dislike Brady but at the end of the day my personal preference is to worry about the intangibles and all that after having franchise guys like Laf. I don't know if I consider Brady a franchise player. He has all the tools to be a very valuable piece but at the same time, if we don't have elite point producers to help us get into the playoffs, we won't even get to see the best Brady has to offer imo. Love reading the perspectives on Brady btw, would love to change the way I feel about him and for him to make me eat some humble pie after playing in a way that makes me see what y'all do :)
Any potential deal would be way more than just Brady for 1st. But I do like him a lot, he's a really, really good piece to have on a team.

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
Brady is a cornerstone piece who will just keep getting stronger and better. He has an incredible work ethic and continually works on improving his skills.

Daffy

Jun 10, 2010
Yeah that Isles pick is gonna be a lot closer to 31 than 21. What a fantastic team. They play hard every shift. They aren't going out any time soon.

FormentonTheFuture

Sep 29, 2017
Yeah that Isles pick is gonna be a lot closer to 31 than 21. What a fantastic team. They play hard every shift. They aren't going out any time soon.
Can't see them lasting long with the lack of offense. Doesn't help that Washington is close to being done as a power team and having no #1C right now. Islanders will most likely have to play the top team next round.

GoSenatorsGo

Nov 9, 2007
To me, Brady Tkachuk is not about how many points he can bring to the table. He is such a unique player that teams would do anything for. He brings leadership, grit and passion at such a young age.
To me anyone saying if NYR would offer Laf for him they’d take it, think of it like this: Why would the Rangers offer Laf for him? They clearly see something they like more in him ( I’m not saying the NYR would do this FYI).
We have such a pivotal player in Brady Tkachuk, that to me, unless you get an offer you CANNOT refuse, you hold on to him and build around him.

Reactions: aragorn

Pinto Bean

Sep 13, 2009
Ottawa
Brady is a cornerstone piece who will just keep getting stronger and better. He has an incredible work ethic and continually works on improving his skills.

Brady isn't as skilled as Laf, Stutzle, or any of the top tier wingers already playing in the NHL, but he simply has "it".. and I hate using "it" as a way to add value to a player because its so intangible but something about trading Brady for Laf would leave me feeling extremely uneasy.. which I'm aware is probably crazy, but adding Brady to any sort of trade for a skilled skilled winger like Laf makes me hesitate immediately, whether it be 1 for 1 or Brady +

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
Well I mean why would rangers do that swap.

bicboi64

Aug 13, 2020
Brampton
Well I mean why would rangers do that swap.
Not that I ever think they do, just posting my comments on how I'd feel if this trade offer magically manifests!

I personally think, given the cap era, trading a 1st overall would be near impossible, would still be cool to see

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
Not that I ever think they do, just posting my comments on how I'd feel if this trade offer magically manifests!

I personally think, given the cap era, trading a 1st overall would be near impossible, would still be cool to see
Yeah I just think you pointed out a hypothetical trade and then pointed out all the reasons why rangers wouldn’t do it. Laf > tkatchuk. That’s just the way it is haha.

NHL Dude 120

Jun 18, 2011
Ottawa
Honestly reading these posts why on earth why would you set the team back a couple of years? Stay at 3 and 5 and trade up with the Islanders pick.

Reactions: NB613

TheDebater

Peace be upon you
Mar 10, 2016
Ottawa
Back in Decemeber I thought "man this is going to be a long year until draft day in June"

Then Covid.

Now here we are mid-August and my God I cannot take anymore draft talk. I get it though, there is very little else to talk about when it comes to the Senators.

Reactions: Nac Mac Feegle

Senscore

Let's keep it cold
Nov 19, 2012
Back in Decemeber I thought "man this is going to be a long year until draft day in June"

Then Covid.

Now here we are mid-August and my God I cannot take anymore draft talk. I get it though, there is very little else to talk about when it comes to the Senators.

Only 7-8 more weeks to go!

Reactions: NB613

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
I'm probably in the minority "comme d'habitude", but I would not trade Tkachuk for Laf. IMO Tkachuk is much more important to this team than Laf would be regardless of how many pts he puts up. This team has waited a decade to draft a player like Tkachuk, players like Laf come along almost every draft or through trade quite often.

It wasn't all that long ago people were talking about Drouin & Domi being great players & then they got traded & now that kind of talk has died down. It's much more difficult to get a player like Tkachuk that can play in the top 6 who can do so many things well to help teams win.

Reactions: Abefromansens

JimmySpaetzle

May 16, 2014
I’d just try to move 5 + NYI’s pick to try to get to 2nd overall or smt, moving 3 and 5 for Laf is not worth it

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
I'm probably in the minority "comme d'habitude", but I would not trade Tkachuk for Laf. IMO Tkachuk is much more important to this team than Laf would be regardless of how many pts he puts up. This team has waited a decade to draft a player like Tkachuk, players like Laf come along almost every draft or through trade quite often.

It wasn't all that long ago people were talking about Drouin & Domi being great players & then they got traded & now that kind of talk has died down. It's much more difficult to get a player like Tkachuk that can play in the top 6 who can do so many things well to help teams win.
No I’m sorry. Just no Aragorn. Not this time I can’t.

TheDebater

Peace be upon you
Mar 10, 2016
Ottawa
No I’m sorry. Just no Aragorn. Not this time I can’t.

I agree with him actually. I personally would not trade Tkachuk for Lafreniere. The NHL is moving back in a direction where skill on it's own is not enough to win cups. Elite skill is definitely required, but in the playoffs, you need a Tkachuk more than you need a Lafreniere.

Would the Leafs right now still have been eliminated from the play in round if you had swapped Brady for Mitch?

Reactions: aragorn

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
I agree with him actually. I personally would not trade Tkachuk for Lafreniere. The NHL is moving back in a direction where skill on it's own is not enough to win cups. Elite skill is definitely required, but in the playoffs, you need a Tkachuk more than you need a Lafreniere.

Would the Leafs right now still have been eliminated from the play in round if you had swapped Brady for Mitch?
Likely, yeah

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad