NHL Entry Draft 2020 NHL Draft Discussion - PART XII [We got 3-5]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Crosside

Aug 1, 2018
Don't you think giving up #3 & #5 for the 1st OA is a huge overpayment given that Stutzle could end up to be almost as good as Laf & we would still have the 5th OA to pick another great player? All three top 3 prospects could be franchise altering players, in fact, there are a lot of people on here who think the top 7 players could be franchise altering depending on who you talk to.

IMO this French Canadian hype is over blown, I don't know how many francophones would leave their allegiants to the Habs to cheer for the Sens because Ottawa drafted Lafreniere. How many Hab fans are now Sens fans because we drafted Chabot? I don't think it works like that.
Outaouais Habs fan gonna not switch for Sens but gonna come more often to watch Laf at the ctc. Also help for potential buyers to make good offer. This year I see lots of people wearing gear of Habs at the ctc. Probably come to watch Chabot and Duclair. Leblanc said priorities number one is bring Outaouais fan to the ctc. I think it’s would be a good start

DrakeAndJosh

Intangibles
Jun 19, 2010
Kanata
I don’t really buy the whole French Canadian marketing angle. We already have Chabot and Gatineau residents aren’t lining up to trade in their Habs jerseys. If anything, I think a potential black superstar in Byfield would do more to grow the hockey market in Ottawa. Not that any of this should even be a consideration when we get to the draft.

Reactions: NB613

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
Wouldn’t be devastated if they traded 3 and 5 for 1
Yeah. Like I’ve said here too. Put a gun to my head I do it. Without a gun I start thinking about having two young players that I have a bias towards and I’m like eehhhhh.

Polar Bear

May 15, 2018
Yeah. Like I’ve said here too. Put a gun to my head I do it. Without a gun I start thinking about having two young players that I have a bias towards and I’m like eehhhhh.
But what happens when we'd say no deal and ask for more? See. I doubt you'd say yes then, which is why a deal just seems so unlikely and not needed by Ottawa.

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
Don't you think giving up #3 & #5 for the 1st OA is a huge overpayment given that Stutzle could end up to be almost as good as Laf & we would still have the 5th OA to pick another great player? All three top 3 prospects could be franchise altering players, in fact, there are a lot of people on here who think the top 7 players could be franchise altering depending on who you talk to.

IMO this French Canadian hype is over blown, I don't know how many francophones would leave their allegiants to the Habs to cheer for the Sens because Ottawa drafted Lafreniere. How many Hab fans are now Sens fans because we drafted Chabot? I don't think it works like that.
No it’s not an overpayment. Why are people devaluing Laf. High skill, high compete, physical. He’s a franchise player, Rangers will take him.

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
Agree. Keep our picks. IF there was a Killorn type of deal around NYI 1st I’d think about it. But keep the 3, 5.
Ugh Killeen would be a favour to Tampa. Now Palat is a different story.

SensHulk

May 31, 2016
San Jose, CA
There is NO potential trade that doesn't involve 3 and 5, it's foolish to think otherwise. And again, even if you offered both picks, I seriously believe the Rangers would ask for more. That's how much it would take for us to pass on Laf from the Rangers end. There's a reason 1st overall picks don't move in the salary cap era, yet alone in a draft when there is a clear cut number one.

definitely not worth it then. 3rd and 5th is an overpayment

Polar Bear

May 15, 2018
definitely not worth it then. 3rd and 5th is an overpayment
Depends on the person, but that’s not really the point either. The trade wouldn’t be an overpayment, it would be a video game type stupid offer. And for that reason, it makes no sense for Ottawa to move up, just as it makes little sense for Rangers to make a trade minus the aforementioned godfather type offer.

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
Depends on the person, but that’s not really the point either. The trade wouldn’t be an overpayment, it would be a video game type stupid offer. And for that reason, it makes no sense for Ottawa to move up, just as it makes little sense for Rangers to make a trade minus the aforementioned godfather type offer.

I think the Rangers could do a lot more with this pick than draft LAF.

Polar Bear

May 15, 2018
I think the Rangers could do a lot more with this pick than draft LAF.
Depends on the offer, if one ever come; we certainly would not initiate anything. We have no need and desire to trade the pick, but if someone came knocking with a stupid offer, I am sure we'd seriously consider it. There are really only two options at play here. Option A, which I give about a 99% chance of happening is sticking at 1 and taking Laf. Option B, which is about 1%, is some team makes the mother of all trade offers that makes it impossible for us to say no and trade the first ever 1st overall pick in the salary cap era.

Reactions: GCK

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
Depends on the offer, if one ever come; we certainly would not initiate anything. We have no need and desire to trade the pick, but if someone came knocking with a stupid offer, I am sure we'd seriously consider it. There are really only two options at play here. Option A, which I give about a 99% chance of happening is sticking at 1 and taking Laf. Option B, which is about 1%, is some team makes the mother of all trade offers that makes it impossible for us to say no and trade the first ever 1st overall pick in the salary cap era.

Ya - I just meant an elite LW is the last thing your team needs - it might be the nicest item on the menu but if you ate it the last two nights it doesn’t make it exciting...

Polar Bear

May 15, 2018
Ya - I just meant an elite LW is the last thing your team needs - it might be the nicest item on the menu but if you ate it the last two nights it doesn’t make it exciting...
Our LW depth isn't that great. We have Panarin and Kreider. That's really it. The latter can be moved to the right or even the third line to have three competitive lines. And with the way Panarin plays, he really doesn't stick to the left, you see him all over the ice. We still just need elite talent, which probably trumps just about everything else.

Reactions: GCK

armani

High Jacques
Apr 8, 2005
Uranus
If I am NYR and offered 3&5, I take that and run. The Rangers are better served adding two cost controlled additions with their current core and trying to contend within a couple of years. To me, they are one of a handful who may benefit from that. That said, Laf could end up becoming their best player and will definitely be a marquee addition for a big franchise like NYR.

On the flip side, as a Sens fan we know how much we need quality forwards. The number 1 centre spot hasn't been steady since Spezza days, PD has the opportunity to really address those issues up front this draft. We lost the opportunity at #1, didn't even get number 2, but c'est la vie. We are still in excellent shape this draft by drafting TWICE in the top-5.

Last edited:

Polar Bear

May 15, 2018
If I am NYR and offered 3&5, I take that and run. The Rangers are better served adding two cost controlled additions with their current core and trying to contend within a couple of years. To me, they are one of a handful who may benefit from that. That said, Laf could end up becoming their best player and will definitely be a marquee addition for a big franchise like NYR.

On the flip side, as a Sens fan we know how much we need quality forwards. The number 1 centre spot hasn't been steady since Spezza days, PD has the opportunity to really address those issues up front this draft. We lost the opportunity at #1, didn't even get number 2, but c'est la vie. We are still in excellent shape this draft by drafting TWICE in the top-5.
The thing is we have such a deep prospect pool that I think we'd probably want the more immediate and safe top talent which is Laf. Like I've said earlier, I believe the Rangers would ask for more than just 3 and 5, which Ottawa really has no business doing for a variety of reasons.

Tkachuckycheese

Oilers/Sens
Feb 2, 2016
18:07 is when they start talking about the draft. Then go into a mock draft. Maybe some insight that's already been talked about a bit who Detroit is looking at. But always good to see what other fan bases are looking at.

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
The thing is we have such a deep prospect pool that I think we'd probably want the more immediate and safe top talent which is Laf. Like I've said earlier, I believe the Rangers would ask for more than just 3 and 5, which Ottawa really has no business doing for a variety of reasons.

A deep prospect pool shouldn't matter when considering 1 for 3+5. It's not like it's a quality for quantity deal. It's 2 potential elite talents for 1 almost-guaranteed elite talent.

Unless you're of the belief that Lafreniere is in the Eichel/Matthews-tier as a prospect, it is a no brainer to take Byfield/Stutzle AND Raymond/Perfetti/Drysdale over just him.

Polar Bear

May 15, 2018
A deep prospect pool shouldn't matter when considering 1 for 3+5. It's not like it's a quality for quantity deal. It's 2 potential elite talents for 1 almost-guaranteed elite talent.

Unless you're of the belief that Lafreniere is in the Eichel/Matthews-tier as a prospect, it is a no brainer to take Byfield/Stutzle AND Raymond/Perfetti/Drysdale over just him.
I think Laf is a much safer pick to reach his ceiling than Byfield and Stutzle. No that the latter two can't, but I think it's universally agreed that Laf is by far the safest talent in the draft. For the Rangers to pass on such a security blanket, it would have to be a stupid price, hence, why I, others fans of the team, and our reporters think it would have to be an offer BEYOND what you already think is a high price (like 3 and 5).

For the record, y'all are luck you aren't Detroit right now. Sitting outside of a draft where there is the unanimous top pick, and then a clear second tier of two great talents cannot be fun.

Masked

(Super/star)
Apr 16, 2017
Parts unknown

Except the Rangers are looking to win now. Lafreniere is the only player from this draft who looks certain to step in now and contribute. The #3 and #5 picks might not really contribute for 2 years or more. Meanwhile Zibanejad, Panarin and Trouba get older. With Lafreniere they could go on a Cup run next season.

Reactions: NB613 and aragorn

GCK

Oct 15, 2018

Laf is on Eichels level.

Reactions: BoardsofCanada

bicboi64

Aug 13, 2020
Brampton

100% agree with the above. Turris was an adequate top 6 centre but we haven't had a dynamic #1 centre in a while. Really would be nice to have that (don't care if its Byfield or Stutzle becoming that)

InTkachukWeTrust

Nov 10, 2013

Although I agree with what you say in the beginning but I don’t think Laf is like Eichel or Matthews. He honestly could be better. Obviously with different facets of the game but Laf lays the body on the line. You win championships with him and Tkachuk.

I think I prefer the 2 top picks but man Laf is everything the Sens want.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad