NHL Entry Draft 2020 NHL Draft Discussion - PART XII [We got 3-5]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gil Gunderson

May 2, 2007
Ottawa, ON
“After Lafrenière is selected, the Senators know they’re going to get forward Quinton Byfield of the Sudbury Wolves or forward Tim Stutzle from Mannheim in the Deutsch Elite League (Germany) with the No. 3 overall selection acquired from the San Jose Sharks as part of the Erik Karlsson trade.”

Let’s hope Brucie is confirming we won’t go off the board.

Last edited:

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
“After Lafrenière is selected, the Senators know they’re going to get forward Quinton Byfield of the Sudbury Wolves or forward Tim Stutzle from Mannheim in the Deutsch Elite League (Germany) with the No. 3 overall selection acquired from the San Jose Sharks as part of the Erik Karlsson trade.”

Let’s hope Brucir is confirming we won’t go off the board.
Probably just trying to sound like he knows something

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
Haha! That’s why I’ve been here to offer the Rangers’ perspective, so you don’t have to!

The truth is, most fans just want to keep the pick and take Laf which I give us about a 99.9% chance of doing.
I’m also being unfair. While some of rangers fans asks are insanity. I’m sure some of the other teams offers are hilariously low too. Cest la vie.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Final 2020 NHL Draft Rankings - Smaht Scouting

Rossi at 3 is just a smidgen bold.
I certainly would not have Mysak and Andrae over Quinn

They were apparently watching the wrong team looking for Cole Perfetti

Just passing it along

Definitely bold, they must be from Ottawa to have Rossi 3rd...

Skimmed a couple of their writeups, not super in depth but typical type you see from free options. Of note, and probably part of why they have Rossi so high, they were really complimentary of Rossi's skating including his top end speed.

Polar Bear

May 15, 2018
I’m also being unfair. While some of rangers fans asks are insanity. I’m sure some of the other teams offers are hilariously low too. Cest la vie.
To be fair, any team's fans who won the lottery would ask for crazy offers (and that's what it would probably take to get a deal done).

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Definitely bold, they must be from Ottawa to have Rossi 3rd...

Skimmed a couple of their writeups, not super in depth but typical type you see from free options. Of note, and probably part of why they have Rossi so high, they were really complimentary of Rossi's skating including his top end speed.

They have an "about" on their site. I had a look at it . Its like ranking Byfield 1st .. something that draws attention and gets more clicks.

Sens72

Football Enthusiast
Aug 31, 2018
Canada
Listening to The Common Sens podcast and Pronman is reiterating that his sources are telling him that LA are still in the midst of debating on what player to pick at 2.

“I think there’s a serious debate going on there”.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
They have an "about" on their site. I had a look at it . Its like ranking Byfield 1st .. something that draws attention and gets more clicks.
Yeah, i read the about page too. Boston based, one guy from outside Toronto... Experience scouting for Dobber Future considerations ect...

RAFI BOMB

May 11, 2016
I was never convinced that they would trade both to get first overall. But I do think it is a very real possibility that they will offer a package including one of those picks to the Rangers. The ideal situation is keeping 3rd overall and trading 5th overall in a larger package. But if they stick at 3 and 5 that will be good as well.

Another way to look at this (which is more speculative) is to see this as a public relations play. Someone from the Rangers organization may have tried to push the narrative of 3 + 5 for 1st overall strategically to build a negotiating anchor. Basically if the rumor is that the Sens are willing to offer 3 + 5 for 1 then it creates the impression that other teams will have to offer more value than that to even get consideration. The concept of anchoring is about setting the price from which negotiations will begin. If the other party does not like the anchor then the best tactic is not to offer a counter proposal but to scoff at it and dismiss it as ridiculous and then try to establish a new anchor.

The quote from Melnyk is as follows:
“The idea of trading our 3rd and 5th picks for the No. 1 pick is nonsensical,” Melnyk said in an email to Postmedia on Monday. “We’re very excited to welcome our many new Ottawa Senators that will come to us via the upcoming draft.”

From what I have stated thus far, this could be part of a public relations play. The Senators didn't like the anchor price and wanted to get rid of it to put themselves in a better negotiating position. Therefore they have Bruce Garrioch write an article not only dismissing the idea but having a direct quote from the owner scoffing at the idea as ridiculous and saying the Sens are perfectly happy to stick with what they already have.

Overall it is a smart move from the Senators organization. They reacted quickly to ensure that anchor didn't hold and that other teams wouldn't offer equally compelling or superior offers. This gives the Senators more control over any potential negotiations and clearly communicates to the Rangers that any notion of a price of 3 + 5 or something equivalently expensive is an absurd ask. Therefore if the Rangers are contemplating parting with the pick they will know that they will need to lower their expectations.

In addition, if the Rangers value having a top 5 pick in this draft then they are heavily reliant on the Senators as a potential trading partner. Both the Kings and the Red Wings are arguably less viable trading partners. The Kings seem high on Stutzle but may also be considering Byfield, publicly they don't seem particularly interested in trying to make a deal for 1st overall. They also don't have a ton of picks and they likely aren't willing to part with other coveted assets. The Red Wings also lack draft and are somewhat lacking in quality players and prospects that they may be willing to part with, they also have not really made a public claim of trying to get 1st overall and they had rumored interest in Stutzle as a possible number 1 pick prior to the draft lottery.

That leaves the Senators with a ton of picks and a ton of prospects/assets that they are willing to part with that also has expressed a strong interest in Lafreniere. So it makes sense that there would be some rumors around what the Senators are willing to part with but that also means relying on anchoring is an important negotiating tactic because the Rangers would want to control the base price to begin any possible discussions and the Senators would be comfortable scoffing at that anchor because they come to the table with a position of strength.

It will be interesting to see how things play out from here. My guess is we will hear a new rumor relatively soon which could be an anchor from the Sens.

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
I wonder if the Rangers would have any interest in package centred around 5OA, Duclair, Wolanin, and 45OA and 55OA/Abramov/Balcers etc.

ijif

Dec 20, 2018
I wonder if the Rangers would have any interest in package centred around 5OA, Duclair, Wolanin, and 45OA and 55OA/Abramov/Balcers etc.

I don't see any reason why they would be interested in those players. Like the Rangers fan on this board keeps saying, NYR has no need to move the first unless it is a massive overpayment.

Reactions: Sweatred

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina

None zero zilch. IF the rangers move it, it will be for at minimum the 3rd ++ cause they want that centre. Also, after the 5th you mentioned primarily secondary pieces. Just not gonna happen to nab Lafreniere.

If Dorion is a mastermind, he’ll pull off something like this:

3rd+ NYI+ Brannstrom+Pinto

ridiculously steep but gets us Lafreniere and we still keep our 5th

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
Been awhile.But that was as big a fixed draft as we have seen yet......Just knew after Covid and them announcing a possible two part draft ...We were getting screwed....The league made sure to give two huge markets the best of what was in the draft....

I hope the league suffers for this,as they have lost alot of credibility with me,along with other fans....The lottery hasnt stopped tanking ,it has made it a tool for the league to distribute talent as they feel fit...It needs to be fixed,so that it becomes more transparent ...And cant be rigged by the league to gain

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
None zero zilch. IF the rangers move it, it will be for at minimum the 3rd ++ cause they want that centre. Also, after the 5th you mentioned primarily secondary pieces. Just not gonna happen to nab Lafreniere.

If Dorion is a mastermind, he’ll pull off something like this:

3rd+ NYI+ Brannstrom+Pinto

ridiculously steep but gets us Lafreniere and we still keep our 5th

Ya - I’m aware my proposal was crappy. If we did a move I’d love to see some Duc/Wolanin pieces be moved instead of NYI/Brann pieces.

I don’t think their is any point of trading up for a LW unless we somehow came out with LAF and BY which feels almost impossible to pull off.

There is no way LA will cooperate and Guaranteed they will pass on Byfield unless they are part of a 3 way trade.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
Listening to The Common Sens podcast and Pronman is reiterating that his sources are telling him that LA are still in the midst of debating on what player to pick at 2.

ugh i thought there was no debate they loved stutzle

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
ugh i thought there was no debate they loved stutzle

We have no proof they love stutzle over QB. NYR wouldn’t trade LAF if they wanted BY but couldn’t secure that BY would be available at 3OA. They would be more likely to just draft Byfield, which isn’t nearly as crazy an idea as people suggest.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011

And we'll be happy to take whoever they don't at 3.

Don't overthink it. We don't need to offer a damned thing in a trade to anyone, and we're going to get a (projected) 1C at 3. Grab it and freaking run!

DueDiligence

Nov 16, 2013
Been awhile.But that was as big a fixed draft as we have seen yet......Just knew after Covid and them announcing a possible two part draft ...We were getting screwed....The league made sure to give two huge markets the best of what was in the draft....

I hope the league suffers for this,as they have lost alot of credibility with me,along with other fans....The lottery hasnt stopped tanking ,it has made it a tool for the league to distribute talent as they feel fit...It needs to be fixed,so that it becomes more transparent ...And cant be rigged by the league to gain
Take off your tinfoil hat!

Reactions: JD1

DJB

Jan 6, 2009
twitter.com

So hedging his bets.

Gotcha.

Thanks Pronman ...smh

FYI not upset at you, I'm not a fan of Pronman or any of some of his outlandish takes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad