NHL Entry Draft 2020 NHL Draft Discussion - PART XII [We got 3-5]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
“At the Hlinka in Edmonton he reminded me of Marner but those days have passed. He is not in that league.” - NHL Scout, January 2020

“In Edmonton I saw flashes of Mitch Marner but Raymond’s development has stalled. He’s nothing like Marner now. Skating and drive are both way behind Marner.” - NHL Scout, January 2020

Yes bought the book
Someone posted a tweet from Murray Pam from a scout saying if he’s there at 5 you have to take him. Assumed that’s an Ottawa scout

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
If Ottawa misses out on Byfield & take Stutzle at #3 than there are a few players I would be okay at them taking a #5. IMO any of these guys could & should be in the conversation between #4 to #12. Any of them can go in any order before or after a number of the other guys in this group, Sanderson LD, Lundell C, Askarov G, Quinn RW or Holtz RW.

There are lots of examples of players ranked later in drafts that turn into a better player than players who were ranked higher in their draft yr. I think a couple of these guys could turn into more valuable players than a number of guys ranked higher than them. I'd be fine with them trading down to acquire one of these guys IF they can find a reasonable partner to deal with. I'd also like to see them add another 1st rd pick if possible, with all of their assets they have an opportunity to add 4 first rd picks in this draft. A few nice Easter Eggs to kickstart this rebuild.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
“At the Hlinka in Edmonton he reminded me of Marner but those days have passed. He is not in that league.” - NHL Scout, January 2020

“In Edmonton I saw flashes of Mitch Marner but Raymond’s development has stalled. He’s nothing like Marner now. Skating and drive are both way behind Marner.” - NHL Scout, January 2020

Yes bought the book
I think it’s funny they reference the hlinka as when he looked great and then half way through his first men’s season in a limited role they’re like “maybe not as good as what we saw at the Hlinka”.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
So I went back and watched the extended highlights of raymond and stutzle at the wjc. I have to say from highlight only (they’re actually pretty extensive about 15 minutes each) raymond looked better and more dominant along the boards and in possession. Stutzle threw the puck away a lot trying to force passes. Now raymond has a better team. So he didn’t necessarily have to force passes.

for reference sake Ferraro does say on stutzle “a natural center who is playing wing on this team”. So at that point stutzle had played wing only 4 months. But he was a winger on the wjc roster and used as one. Make of that what you will.

StutZle was very noticeable on the power play. Less so at 5v5 again that makes sense Germany couldn’t necessarily keep up with the better teams at 5v5. He had one more point than raymond. But no goals. 5 assists. Raymond had 2g 2a.

the more and more I dig I just really don’t see how any team not picking first can pass on byfield. And stutzle + raymond have been my choices for a while now and I’m still sticking to that because I think they both bring something that we simply have *zero* of anywhere in our organization. Dynamic possession hockey. That is of course if byfield is not on the table.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
So I went back and watched the extended highlights of raymond and stutzle at the wjc. I have to say from highlight only (they’re actually pretty extensive about 15 minutes each) raymond looked better and more dominant along the boards and in possession. Stutzle threw the puck away a lot trying to force passes. Now raymond has a better team. So he didn’t necessarily have to force passes.

for reference sake Ferraro does say on stutzle “a natural center who is playing wing on this team”. So at that point stutzle had played wing only 4 months. But he was a winger on the wjc roster and used as one. Make of that what you will.

StutZle was very noticeable on the power play. Less so at 5v5 again that makes sense Germany couldn’t necessarily keep up with the better teams at 5v5. He had one more point than raymond. But no goals. 5 assists. Raymond had 2g 2a.

the more and more I dig I just really don’t see how any team not picking first can pass on byfield. And stutzle + raymond have been my choices for a while now and I’m still sticking to that because I think they both bring something that we simply have *zero* of anywhere in our organization. Dynamic possession hockey. That is of course if byfield is not on the table.

Still a fair chance to get Raymond at 5. I think LA takes Byfield. I think given the choice we would take Byfield.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
I like the sound of the bolded part. I am all for adding more pests. Sounds like a prospect I need to take a closer look at.

Prospect Deep Dive: – Tristen Robins – Saskatoon Blades (Interview + Video) few good clips in here.

“He’s listed at 5-foot-10 and looks more like 5-foot-9 out on the ice, but don’t tell him his size, because he doesn’t play small in any way, shape or form. He’s willing to take hits to make plays, and we’ve seen him take a massive hit from a stationary position along the boards, only to be in awe of his ability to not only stay upright but send his larger opponent crumpled to the ice instead. He is the type of player that is willing to enter heavy traffic and it often leads to scoring chances. He’s not a perimeter player, he seemingly refuses to remain on the perimeter. We were surprised how often he won battles against bigger, older and more physically developed players; he simply out competes and out hustles opposing players. He’s on the smaller side as mentioned, so occasionally he does get knocked off the puck despite his competitiveness. To counteract this, he increases his work rate when he turns the puck over and is willing to do what it takes to get the puck back..” Hockeyprospect.com (ranked him 13) Highest I've seen but a far cry from an honorable mention on Bob's list.

He had a fantastic 2nd half In the final 31 games, Robins had 23 goals and 51 points
Leafs probably snag him like they did with Robertson after everyone passed on him at least once.

Reactions: RAFI BOMB

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
I’d be fine. I’d prefer Raymond but Drysdale, Quinn, Perfetti or Sanderson would be fine if they feel they got their guy.

The Senators will always say they got the guy they wanted. I will have preferred players at their picks and judge the Senator’s choices based on what other players they could have selected. That’s part of the fun of being an amateur GM on this forum.

Reactions: aragorn

SENATOR

Feb 6, 2004
Ottawa
If we draft Byfield, we need the best scorer in the draft Holtz, and if we draft Stutzle, we still need the best scorer in the draft Holtz. Stutzle is just too sexy in every category over Alexis Lafrenière. Lafrenière is still going to get more points but by not that match. At one point I strongly believe, Stutzle will be producing even more points then the hockey sensation from Saint-Eustache, Alexis Lafrenière. I strongly believe also, that Stuzle is a head and shoulders over Mitch Marner skill-wise and Holtz as the goal scorer is a notch better then Aston Matthews, as crazy as it seems. Drafting Raymond with Stutzle will be an overload in a creative department and you have to separate them. And teams do not win now with the best defence, they win now with the best sexy - skilled players.

SENATOR

Feb 6, 2004
Ottawa
The Senators will always say they got the guy they wanted. I will have preferred players at their picks and judge the Senator’s choices based on what other players they could have selected. That’s part of the fun of being an amateur GM on this forum.

Unfortunately Senators can not afford down the road Byfield, Holtz, Stutzle, Raymond and Drysdale, They are all future potential 10-12 million dollars earners a season. That's why they present this idiotic mantra....."they feel they got their guy". They got their budget guy, nothing else. But it will be a hard sale this time around. This board will explode. I will never cheer for this team anymore, if they will not draft two out of the mentioned above players. JUST NO WAY...... Enough is enough.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
I m hoping the Senators get Byfield or Stutzle at #3 and Drysdale or Ràymond at #5. Then with the NYI PICK, I hope we get Lapierre, which would be a high risk, high potential reward pick.

Reactions: NB613 and Ed Wood

SENATOR

Feb 6, 2004
Ottawa
After further studying, I think I have Quinn over Rossi. He’s dynamic.

Quinn is better then Rossi, just not as sexy-talented as Holtz, who also has amazing hands and moves. Holtz matured physically enough already to play in NHL right away. Quinn in my mock draft is #8, Rossi# 9 and Perfetti as #7 and could go as high as # 4 to Detroit.

FormentonTheFuture

Sep 29, 2017
If we draft Byfield, we need the best scorer in the draft Holtz, and if we draft Stutzle, we still need the best scorer in the draft Holtz. Stutzle is just too sexy in every category over Alexis Lafrenière. Lafrenière is still going to get more points but by not that match. At one point I strongly believe, Stutzle will be producing even more points then the hockey sensation from Saint-Eustache, Alexis Lafrenière. I strongly believe also, that Stuzle is a head and shoulders over Mitch Marner skill-wise and Holtz as the goal scorer is a notch better then Aston Matthews, as crazy as it seems. Drafting Raymond with Stutzle will be an overload in a creative department and you have to separate them. And teams do not win now with the best defence, they win now with the best sexy - skilled players.
Matthews is a better goal scorer than Holtz. Come on now. You’re underrating Lafreniere as well.

KnockHobbler

Sep 13, 2018
Did a draft sim thing:
  • 3: Tim Stutzle - C
  • 5: Lucas Raymond - RW/LW
  • 21: Jan Mysak - LW/C
  • 33: John-Jason Paterka - RW
  • 49: Ryan O’Rourke - LD
  • 52: Jake Neighbours - LW
  • 55: Pavel Novak - RW
  • 64: Theodor Neiderbach - C
  • 74: Ozzy Wiesblatt - RW
  • 95: Simon Kubicek - RD
  • 152: Rhett Rhinehart - RD
  • 158: Connor Mcclennon - RW
  • 185: Bogdon Trineyev - RW

Sens in Process

Oct 1, 2012
Prospect Deep Dive: – Tristen Robins – Saskatoon Blades (Interview + Video) few good clips in here.

“He’s listed at 5-foot-10 and looks more like 5-foot-9 out on the ice, but don’t tell him his size, because he doesn’t play small in any way, shape or form. He’s willing to take hits to make plays, and we’ve seen him take a massive hit from a stationary position along the boards, only to be in awe of his ability to not only stay upright but send his larger opponent crumpled to the ice instead. He is the type of player that is willing to enter heavy traffic and it often leads to scoring chances. He’s not a perimeter player, he seemingly refuses to remain on the perimeter. We were surprised how often he won battles against bigger, older and more physically developed players; he simply out competes and out hustles opposing players. He’s on the smaller side as mentioned, so occasionally he does get knocked off the puck despite his competitiveness. To counteract this, he increases his work rate when he turns the puck over and is willing to do what it takes to get the puck back..” Hockeyprospect.com (ranked him 13) Highest I've seen but a far cry from an honorable mention on Bob's list.

He had a fantastic 2nd half In the final 31 games, Robins had 23 goals and 51 points
Leafs probably snag him like they did with Robertson after everyone passed on him at least once.

I really like him as well and would even be fine at taking at 33.

During a recent interview with Mark Edwards, Tristen mentioned he was up to 5-11, 183 pounds.

GCK

Oct 15, 2018

I’m big on Robbins. I don’t want a ton of undersized players but Robbins and Pashin are two I would grab in a heartbeat.

Reactions: Sens of Anarchy

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
After further studying, I think I have Quinn over Rossi. He’s dynamic.
I am not against this. To me it’s not clear cut but knowing we will get a centre at 3, I would take Quinn before Rossi. If we didn’t have 3OA, I’d be tempted by Rossi at 5.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004

So true. I've never heard of a GM say they don't like the guy they got or they wanted the other guy that other team drafted ahead of them. Although Tim Murry looked obviously upset he didn't get McDavid & had to settle for Eichel. hahaha ... And Eichel has had his troubles in Buffalo too, this wasn't exactly a match made in heaven.

2020 Draft:
#3 - Byfield C or Stutzle C/LW - (most likely Stutzle)
#5 Sanderson LD
#21 Lundell C - (will need to trade up)
#33 Schneider RD or Barron RD - (may need to trade up)
# 46 Kleven LD or Wallinder LD - (may need to trade up)
#52 Colangelo RW
#53 Cuylle LW
#64 - Peterson C
#74 - Prokop RD or Jurmo RD

Someday:
Tkachuk - L. Brown - Batherson
Stutzle - Lundell - Guenther (2021 draft)
Formenton - Norris - Pinto
Cuylle - Peterson - Colangelo/Kastelic C/RW

Chabot - JBD
Sanderson - Barron
Kleven - Schultz (2021 draft)/Prokop

Hogberg - Daccord/Gustavsson

RAFI BOMB

May 11, 2016
I’m big on Robbins. I don’t want a ton of undersized players but Robbins and Pashin are two I would grab in a heartbeat.
Robins seems solid. Pashin seems like he will struggle to be successful in the NHL. Khusnutdinov on the other hand looks like he will adapt well to the NHL. Pashin just seems like a really risky pick to me and I am not convinced he is worth the gamble. If you are looking for a high skill smaller player that could also be a risky both Dmitri Ovchinnikov and Yevgeni Oksentyuk come to mind.

Reactions: GCK

RAFI BOMB

May 11, 2016
I noticed in the draft simulator that Carsen Richels is available as a late option. Not sure where he will go in the draft but he does have some interesting tools.

Tkachuckycheese

Oilers/Sens
Feb 2, 2016
Has anyone seen JBD's brother play at all? I wonder if the Sens could take a gamble on him. He's 5'11 right shot and a pretty good skater, physical as well.

SENATOR

Feb 6, 2004
Ottawa
Robins seems solid. Pashin seems like he will struggle to be successful in the NHL. Khusnutdinov on the other hand looks like he will adapt well to the NHL. Pashin just seems like a really risky pick to me and I am not convinced he is worth the gamble. If you are looking for a high skill smaller player that could also be a risky both Dmitri Ovchinnikov and Yevgeni Oksentyuk come to mind.

I would prefer crazy talented Pashin over Abramov any day. Theo Fleury is even smaller than Pashin, but finished his NHL career with a point per game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad