NHL Entry Draft 2020 NHL Draft Discussion - PART XII [We got 3-5]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Polar Bear

May 15, 2018
We have no proof they love stutzle over QB. NYR wouldn’t trade LAF if they wanted BY but couldn’t secure that BY would be available at 3OA. They would be more likely to just draft Byfield, which isn’t nearly as crazy an idea as people suggest.
It’s not really an option for us. We’ve already let it slip we’re taking Laf via our President. If we stay at 1 the pick is Laf, 100%. The only question is the very small chance someone makes us that crazy good offer.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
If the Sens had the 1st OA pick I would be arguing to take Byfield 1st over Laf because not only do I think he will be the better player, I think he makes the Sens a much better team long term. I'd also consider moving those two top picks for Byfield but not for Laf, players like Byfield with size, speed & great skill are extremely rare. Which is why I doubt LA passes on him, I also think the NYR will keep & draft Laf 1st OA. I doubt we see any trades in the top 10.

Reactions: Sweatred

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
If that were true and the roles were reversed where the Sens got 1st overall. Would you be okay with trading it for the 3rd and 5th overall?
Me personally, yes. Lafreniere is very good but he isn't a Matthews tier prospect. More like drafting Hall.

I think the makeup of this draft cohort is such that the drop off is more gradual than many years, and i am really high on both Byfield and Stutzle who i think would both be above average #2 picks relative to historical comparissons. Not Malkin or Eichel level, but Seguin, Barkov, ect.

At 5, again, i think we will have some elite options available.

Taking 1st OA is the safe play but i think the upside with 3 and 5 is huge.

FormentonTheFuture

Sep 29, 2017
Lol ,if u think they league doesnt place players in cities they want ,then maybe its u being naive
bill-daly-nhl-draft-lottery-oilers.jpg

TheDebater

Peace be upon you
Mar 10, 2016
Ottawa
the leadership have spoken

Ottawa Senators owner Eugene Melnyk: Trading 2 picks for No. 1 'Nonsensical' - TSN.ca

“The idea of trading our third and fifth picks for the No. 1 pick is nonsensical,” Melnyk told Postmedia's Bruce Garrioch in an email. “We’re very excited to welcome our many new Ottawa Senators that will come to us via the upcoming draft.”

Interesting to hear that, as some of our loyal and knowledgeable members here at HF were almost convinced that Melnyk only cares about "marketing a French Canadian star".

I wonder what the argument is now?

Qward

Because! That's why!
Jul 23, 2010
Behind you, look out
If Laf was a centre I would trade 3, 5 for him but since his a LW that is a draw back.

Dont get me wrong, I think his going to be a stud, but both 3 and 5 in this draft have superstar potential. Ottawa is also very good at drafting.

Reactions: angrydad

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
Meh ,there were other ways to stop the nonsense....But a closed door lottery,come on....Have the winner be excluded from picking 1st in consecutive years ,would be one...

The league needed money,and a new TV deal... So two huge TV markets got the opportunity to get better faster

Gil Gunderson

May 2, 2007
Ottawa, ON
Meh ,there were other ways to stop the nonsense....But a closed door lottery,come on....Have the winner be excluded from picking 1st in consecutive years ,would be one...

The league needed money,and a new TV deal... So two huge TV markets got the opportunity to get better faster
The argument for rigging can literally be made for any scenario.

Small market team wins? They need a star to turn it around.
Big market team wins? League wants them to get a star and TV money.

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
The argument for rigging can literally be made for any scenario.

Small market team wins? They need a star.
Big market team wins? League wants them to get a star and TV money.
But why have any doubt ???Remove the lottery,and put in some rules about how many times u can pick 1st...The way it is now is all about the league being able to control the process

Pierre from Orleans

May 9, 2007
Me personally, yes. Lafreniere is very good but he isn't a Matthews tier prospect. More like drafting Hall.

I think the makeup of this draft cohort is such that the drop off is more gradual than many years, and i am really high on both Byfield and Stutzle who i think would both be above average #2 picks relative to historical comparissons. Not Malkin or Eichel level, but Seguin, Barkov, ect.

At 5, again, i think we will have some elite options available.

Taking 1st OA is the safe play but i think the upside with 3 and 5 is huge.
I would do the same.

TheDebater

Peace be upon you
Mar 10, 2016
Ottawa
If the Sens had the 1st OA pick I would be arguing to take Byfield 1st over Laf because not only do I think he will be the better player, I think he makes the Sens a much better team long term. I'd also consider moving those two top picks for Byfield but not for Laf, players like Byfield with size, speed & great skill are extremely rare. Which is why I doubt LA passes on him, I also think the NYR will keep & draft Laf 1st OA. I doubt we see any trades in the top 10.

It would be bad asset management not to trade down from #1 at that point. If you were GM and had your sights set on Byfield then you move down to #2 or even #3 and grab as much picks or prospects as you can in the process.

Since Lafreniere is the consensus #1, you have to take him, or force the #2 team to give something away to grab him and not simply pick him for free at #2 just because you wanted Byfield.

The same basically applies for the Rangers, there is zero reason not to take Lafreniere at #1, otherwise they can trade down if they receive an offer they cannot refuse.

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
None zero zilch. IF the rangers move it, it will be for at minimum the 3rd ++ cause they want that centre. Also, after the 5th you mentioned primarily secondary pieces. Just not gonna happen to nab Lafreniere.

If Dorion is a mastermind, he’ll pull off something like this:

3rd+ NYI+ Brannstrom+Pinto

ridiculously steep but gets us Lafreniere and we still keep our 5th

There's no way I would make that trade

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Rennes vs Brest
    Rennes vs Brest
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $61.00