Prospect Info: 2020 NHL Draft 19th Overall Pick, Braden Schneider, D

bl02

Jan 13, 2014
Damn that was fast. Oh well continued strong development for Schneider!

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017

Eh i'm cool with this. He got a nice little cup of coffee taste of pro hockey and that will probably do him wonders how he prepares for next season. Now he can go back to the WHL and dominate playing 23 minutes a night and has a better idea on what parts of his game he really needs to focus in at. Plus he gets to face off against 6 different teams instead of the same 2 so that's a plus.

egelband

Sep 6, 2008
I don't really understand your point. I don't think there are too many GM's scouring HF boards.
But, I am a Ranger fan living in Cane's country. I'm also a Canes season ticket holder and have watched Pesce play hundreds of games. The guy is steady, reliable and smart.
He's the kind of D every coach would want on his team. He gives you everything, he doesn't try to be what he isn't and is really good at what it is he does.
I hope he is explaining this to Skjei. Skjei would be great if he could just play within himself to his strengths. He’ll probably figure it out eventually. But it was very frustrating watching him force it so often.

Reactions: bl02

jay from jersey

Jan 30, 2008

Loving Schneider pick more and more by the day. Also think Robertson will be better than a 3rd pairing dman. Good problem to have when you have Lindgren+Miller at LD.

This kid could be in the nhl next season. I wonder what’s gonna happen with him and lundkvist. Big decisions.

jay from jersey

Jan 30, 2008
Jones and Lundkvist play different positions
Yes I know, Jones, Fox, and lundkvist are all smallish D with offensive capabilities. If Schneider and lundkvist are both ready IMO the rangers would Run
Lindgren/Robertson -Fox
Miller-trouba
Lindgren/Robertson - Schneider

with Jones skinner etc in the pipeline. Trouba can’t be moved for another 3 years. I doubt management let’s either asset sit and wait that long. They need centers and will want to get max value out of trading lundkvist

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
with Fox - Trouba - Schneider down the right where does Lundkvist play?

I don't see Schneider being an NHL regular next season. It's not impossible, but defensemen take longer to develop. On average 2-3 defensemen each year are regulars in their D+2 season.

Yes I know, Jones, Fox, and lundkvist are all smallish D with offensive capabilities. If Schneider and lundkvist are both ready IMO the rangers would Run
Lindgren/Robertson -Fox
Miller-trouba
Lindgren/Robertson - Schneider

with Jones skinner etc in the pipeline. Trouba can’t be moved for another 3 years. I doubt management let’s either asset sit and wait that long. They need centers and will want to get max value out of trading lundkvist

Lundkvist is more than just an offensive defenseman. He also plays a more physical style of hockey than his size might indicate. Lundkvist is not really similar to Jones.

Reactions: SnowblindNYR

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
I don't see Schneider being an NHL regular next season.
Why? Because he is not Nils?

I believe that Schneider is coming to camp to battle for a spot. And while most believe that Lundqvist is the favorite, I do not think that it will be a one way battle.

During Schneider's short stint in AHL, there was nothing that would lead me to believe that he is not ready for a shot.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011

I believe that Schneider is coming to camp to battle for a spot. And while most believe that Lundqvist is the favorite, I do not think that it will be a one way battle.

During Schneider's short stint in AHL, there was nothing that would lead me to believe that he is not ready for a shot.

If you read the rest of my post, it explains it. But yes, Lundkvist being 2 years older and further in his development is a relevant factor. Like I said, it's not impossible but the odds don't favour that scenario.

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
If you read the rest of my post, it explains it. But yes, Lundkvist being 2 years older and further in his development is a relevant factor. Like I said, it's not impossible but the odds don't favour that scenario.
I agree that Nils is the favorite. But I think that the battle will be much closer than you believe. And not every scenario is where Lundqvist wins.

The New Russian Five

May 27, 2019

It will be a two way battle between Lundkvist and Schneider, but the spot is his to lose and all indications point that the kid is as ready as it gets for the next level. He literally just broke records and won awards this past season playing amongst men. He's 2 years older than Schneider with a better pedigree up to this point.

For all intensive purposes, if it weren't for Covid, Lundkvist would have probably been playing on the rangers this season.

Schneider might be ready for the NHL, but there is also no need go rush him. At this point he would likely need to come to camp and play lights out in order to take the spot from Lundkvist.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
It will be a two way battle between Lundkvist and Schneider, but the spot is his to lose and all indications point that the kid is as ready as it gets for the next level. He literally just broke records and won awards this past season playing amongst men. He's 2 years older than Schneider with a better pedigree up to this point.

For all intensive purposes, if it weren't for Covid, Lundkvist would have probably been playing on the rangers this season.

Schneider might be ready for the NHL, but there is also no need go rush him. At this point he would likely need to come to camp and play lights out in order to take the spot from Lundkvist.

I didn't think people actually made this mistake in real life. It's "for all intents and purposes". :laugh:

But yes, I feel like people are in a hurry to give Braden the job because of their bias against smaller D-men.

jay from jersey

Jan 30, 2008
I didn't think people actually made this mistake in real life. It's "for all intents and purposes". :laugh:

But yes, I feel like people are in a hurry to give Braden the job because of their bias against smaller D-men.
It’s not just that he’s smaller. I’m sure the rangers would love to run a right side of fox-lundkvist-Schneider but that just won’t be the case because trouba can’t be moved for the better part of 3 years. If the mandate is to be tougher to play against I’m guessing Schneider fits the bill more. There’s not adjustment period for him to get used to a smaller rink size, while his offense will probably not be as good and nils, he’s more then capable of moving the puck and his size speed and nasty are all advantages that nils doesn’t possess. Everyone at the draft said he’s very close to being in the nhl. If not next year, certainly the following year. If I’m Gorton I would want to maximize nils trade value to grab a center. Right now he’s sky high since being chosen 28th OA. He’s done nothing but improve his value as a prospect. If schneider looked out of place with his cup of coffee in the A I think the decision would be a lot harder. But the kid is so close in his own right. Fox is 5”10 trouba 6”3 Schneider 6”3 Jones 5”10 lundkvist 5”10 Miller 6”4 Robertson 6”2. Rangers want big mobile D it seems with fox being a all around stud. Lindgren is the smallest that plays a large game but IMO his minutes will decrease over time to help extend his career. Size, Reach, Mobility, snarl, etc are all considering factors when building a playoff ready D

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad