Prospect Info: 2020 NHL Draft 19th Overall Pick, Braden Schneider, D

Mikos87

Mar 19, 2002
Visit site
One concern I've had about Robertson is that he seems to get beat in puck battles fairly frequently. For example, in the last 2 games:

It's something I've noticed when I've watched his shift by shifts too. To be fair, Rees and Pelletier are particularly hard working players for juniors, but those guys are everywhere in the NHL. I'm not sure a defense-first defenseman who loses puck battles often is a particularly valuable player. The length, skating, and ability to move the puck are all there, but I think this is something he needs to improve if he's going to be an NHL player.

On Rees: I think he's the real deal, outside of the U18s where he was phenomenal, I haven't seen much, but there are a couple of guys I know who are really high on him. I expect him to be a very useful contributor on the Canadian team.

On Robertson, he's probably another 3 years away imo. Looks a little snappier, but needs to play with more aggression. Doesn't always have to physical, but things like poking with the poke check in advance of the puck getting to where it's not supposed to be instead of reaching. He's one where you have to wait for him to mature into that man strength.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
One concern I've had about Robertson is that he seems to get beat in puck battles fairly frequently. For example, in the last 2 games:

It's something I've noticed when I've watched his shift by shifts too. To be fair, Rees and Pelletier are particularly hard working players for juniors, but those guys are everywhere in the NHL. I'm not sure a defense-first defenseman who loses puck battles often is a particularly valuable player. The length, skating, and ability to move the puck are all there, but I think this is something he needs to improve if he's going to be an NHL player.

Interestingly enough, one of his cited strengths has been the difficulty opponents have in taking the puck from Robertson once he gets it. So I'm wondering if it its just a bit of an off-time for him.

But he does need to get stronger and consistently play with more aggression. He's made good strides there, but he doesn't have that same moxy that someone like Schneider has when it comes to locking onto an opponent and making sure they know they are not welcome.

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
I really have to tell you that I am very high on Robertson, and have been for a bit. Ditto for Schneider.
As well. Which is why I have been thinking lately that I think that there is a greater chance of the right side including Schneider and one of Fox or Lundqvist (the presumption is that DeAngelo has been traded), rather than having both Fox and Lundqvist. Clearly anything can happen, but just a gut feeling.

You an clearly see that Gorton & JD are building with size in mind. Schneider, Robertson, Miller all bring size. Trouba is certainly not tiny.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
As well. Which is why I have been thinking lately that I think that there is a greater chance of the right side including Schneider and one of Fox or Lundqvist (the presumption is that DeAngelo has been traded), rather than having both Fox and Lundqvist. Clearly anything can happen, but just a gut feeling.

You an clearly see that Gorton & JD are building with size in mind. Schneider, Robertson, Miller all bring size. Trouba is certainly not tiny.

I do think it might be interesting to see if Trouba emerges as a long-term piece for this roster, or whether he ends up as more of a transition piece.

To be clear, even with that question out there, the Rangers have no intentions of trading him anytime soon. I'll just nip that in the bud before it even becomes a thing.

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
I do think it might be interesting to see if Trouba emerges as a long-term piece for this roster, or whether he ends up as more of a transition piece.

To be clear, even with that question out there, the Rangers have no intentions of trading him anytime soon. I'll just nip that in the bud before it even becomes a thing.
My gut feeling is that he is here for the duration.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
My gut feeling is that he is here for the duration.

And if I had to place money, right now, that's where I'd put it.

I think ADA probably gets moved for either a LD or center.

I think Lundkvist will be the one they keep, but could find himself as part of the ask if someone like Eichel or Barkov becomes available.

A lot of ifs there, and butterfly effects are always hard to project.

But the Rangers definitely will use their RD depth to their advantage at some point and it will mean moving names that the board really likes.

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
And if I had to place money, right now, that's where I'd put it.

I think ADA probably gets moved for either a LD or center.

I think Lundkvist will be the one they keep, but could find himself as part of the ask if someone like Eichel or Barkov becomes available.

A lot of ifs there, and butterfly effects are always hard to project.

But the Rangers definitely will use their RD depth to their advantage at some point and it will mean moving names that the board really likes.
Just reading the tea leaves in the way that Gorton and JD are building, it would seem unlikely that both Fox and Lundqvist becoming long term mainstays. Will be interesting to see which one stays and which one goes.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
Just reading the tea leaves in the way that Gorton and JD are building, it would seem unlikely that both Fox and Lundqvist becoming long term mainstays. Will be interesting to see which one stays and which one goes.

It probably also depends on how the left side shapes up.

You've got Miller and Robertson as players who could be some big bodies back there. You've got Lindgren, who doesn't have the size, but has the aggression and physicality.

Could they be okay with Lundkvist and Fox on the same roster? Potentially, if you've got Robertson with the former, Lindgren with the latter, and someone like Miller with Trouba.

So there is a possible path there.

I think even if everyone hits on their upside, the roster will have no more than three of Lindgren, Jones, ADA, Fox and Lundkvist --- and even three might be pushing it. And for each one they keep, there's probably a corresponding move.

For example if you keep Jones, I think you're more likely to end up keeping Schneider, etc. etc.

Though as I always caution, all of this is written very softly in pencil and will be sorted with time. So no one reading this should get too concerned at this point.

usekakkorightquinn

Oct 18, 2019
Schneider will be a Ranger for a long time. Jones will never play one game as a Ranger. JD and Gorton are on record stating the defense needs to get bigger, tougher and better defensively. That means only 2 midgets will be back on defense.

Thirty One

Safe is safe.
Dec 28, 2003
Schneider will be a Ranger for a long time. Jones will never play one game as a Ranger. JD and Gorton are on record stating the defense needs to get bigger, tougher and better defensively. That means only 2 midgets will be back on defense.
I'd love to read those quotes. Could you provide them?

huerter

Aug 16, 2020
I just watched the first intrasquad game. I didn't see anything from Schneider that eased my concerns about him. Just too many touches of the puck that didn't go smoothly. First period PP shift he fumbles the puck at the blue then is carrying the puck up the ice and throws a brutal short pass in Dach's feet for an icing. Another shift in the second on the PP he comes down the wall to offer support and when the puck leaks out to him he takes way too long in his decision making before trying a D to D pass and Krebs gets his stick in the lane to break it up. There were other instances like this but these were the ones that stuck with me. And this isn't an isolated single game evaluation, just more of what I have already been worried about.

He may make the NHL, it's impossible to know, but I can't see him being a message board darling unless he drastically hits a development curve. His strengths are cool when you are making a little 1 min package about him (shout out Button) but his weaknesses are the ones that really irritate fans when you watch him on a nightly basis and have emotions tied into his play.

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
He may make the NHL, it's impossible to know, but I can't see him being a message board darling unless he drastically hits a development curve. His strengths are cool when you are making a little 1 min package about him (shout out Button) but his weaknesses are the ones that really irritate fans when you watch him on a nightly basis and have emotions tied into his play.
Depends on what you are looking for. The team did not draft him for his offensive prowess. He was drafted for a specific reason and that is to go against the oppositions top players.

From what I saw from him, offensively he is fine for the role that he is expected to play. Can make the outlet pass, nice shot from the point. 1 scrimmage is a bit to early to decide on his future.

huerter

Aug 16, 2020
Depends on what you are looking for. The team did not draft him for his offensive prowess. He was drafted for a specific reason and that is to go against the oppositions top players.

From what I saw from him, offensively he is fine for the role that he is expected to play. Can make the outlet pass, nice shot from the point. 1 scrimmage is a bit to early to decide on his future.
I said it wasn't based on just this scrimmage. And being shaky with the puck, particularly at the offensive blueline and against a forecheck is not a good recipe going up against the oppositions best players.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
On Rees: I think he's the real deal, outside of the U18s where he was phenomenal, I haven't seen much, but there are a couple of guys I know who are really high on him. I expect him to be a very useful contributor on the Canadian team.

On Robertson, he's probably another 3 years away imo. Looks a little snappier, but needs to play with more aggression. Doesn't always have to physical, but things like poking with the poke check in advance of the puck getting to where it's not supposed to be instead of reaching. He's one where you have to wait for him to mature into that man strength.

Fun trivia --- Rees was a kid the Rangers asked about in their various conversations with Carolina.

ColonialsHockey10

Jul 22, 2007
Amazing news. I think people often underestimate the step from juniors to the AHL. But in this case, Schneider is ready I think.

I was reflecting on his WJC play again yesterday. I don’t think he made a major defensive gaff the entire tournament (unless you count a few errant breakout passes). He also finished second on the D in points/game, despite Drysdale and Byram being given ridiculous minutes and all of the PP time. He’s never gonna QB the PP, but with an offense as stacked as ours, I can see a few offensive seasons in McDonagh territory (~35-40 points).

Thirty One

Safe is safe.
Dec 28, 2003
I’m guessing Schneider needs to go back to the WHL when their season starts. Vince worded it like it’s an option.

I wonder if he can skate with the taxi squad until Hartford’s schedule opens up.

Reactions: SnowblindNYR

IDvsEGO

Oct 11, 2016
Amazing news. I think people often underestimate the step from juniors to the AHL. But in this case, Schneider is ready I think.

I was reflecting on his WJC play again yesterday. I don’t think he made a major defensive gaff the entire tournament (unless you count a few errant breakout passes). He also finished second on the D in points/game, despite Drysdale and Byram being given ridiculous minutes and all of the PP time. He’s never gonna QB the PP, but with an offense as stacked as ours, I can see a few offensive seasons in McDonagh territory (~35-40 points).

I’m not even that concerned about his point production. Adjusting to the size and speed of the nhl game is probably the bigger thing to me, and this ahl contract is perfect.
He’s a big strong kid, and so long as he can make the outlet, get the puck out of our zone, he’s likely gonna have plenty of offensive outlets to push it to considering our forward groups.
Fox and him anchoring our right side for the next 5-6 years with Miller and robertson or Lindgren would be a scary top 4 if we can afford them post elc.

ColonialsHockey10

Jul 22, 2007
I’m not even that concerned about his point production. Adjusting to the size and speed of the nhl game is probably the bigger thing to me, and this ahl contract is perfect.
He’s a big strong kid, and so long as he can make the outlet, get the puck out of our zone, he’s likely gonna have plenty of offensive outlets to push it to considering our forward groups.
Fox and him anchoring our right side for the next 5-6 years with Miller and robertson or Lindgren would be a scary top 4 if we can afford them post elc.

Yeah, it was more to address concerns that he’s just a stay-at-home defenseman. He skates and passes pretty well too. I was pleasantly surprised.

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
I’m guessing Schneider needs to go back to the WHL when their season starts. Vince worded it like it’s an option.

I wonder if he can skate with the taxi squad until Hartford’s schedule opens up.

I'm not sure, but I think he'd need to be on an NHL contract to be on the taxi squad. Vince also mentioned that Robertson might be on the taxi squad while he waits for the WHL season to start. If that happens, there won't be room for Schneider.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->