Prospect Info: 2020 NHL Draft 19th Overall Pick, Braden Schneider, D

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Are Robertson and Schneider both AHL eligible next year? That could be a good top pairing for Hartford, with the added bonus that they develop some cohesion.
They are both eligible. Boy, Robertson and Lundqvist will make for a good pairing in Hartford.

Only sort of kidding.......

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
Are Robertson and Schneider both AHL eligible next year? That could be a good top pairing for Hartford, with the added bonus that they develop some cohesion.

Yes. Both will be 20 on Dec 31st so they are eligible. They have also completed the necessary no of full seasons in juniors

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
I like Brendan Smith but I don’t see him getting another contract from us this summer. I also think Reunanen is a good player but I don’t see him cutting it against the competition he’ll have.
Agreed on the latter. The former one could do a lot worse than a 7th defenseman/13th forward. If he could be brought back cheap. But then again, with the way he's played am sure he will find a home on some team's third pairing.

ElLeetch

Mar 28, 2018
Agreed on the latter. The former one could do a lot worse than a 7th defenseman/13th forward. If he could be brought back cheap. But then again, with the way he's played am sure he will find a home on some team's third pairing.

Robertson, Lundkvist, Hajek, and Reunanen will be the four candidates for two NHL jobs next year. And thats not including the outside chance for Schneider.

Reunanen may already see he is essentially on the outside looking in.

CupSeeker

Jan 28, 2021
In the ECHL?

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
In the ECHL?
On a team's third pairing.

Not sure what you are envisioning a veteran 3rd pair defenseman to be, but Smith has pretty much personified it this year.

Were it not for the amount of promising young players, I would have no issue with bringing him back in that role.

Reactions: LokiDog

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Before he got stuck playing every night with Hajek, Smith was grading out pretty close to an average 3rd pair guy. Hajek drags him down.

The New Russian Five

May 27, 2019
Before he got stuck playing every night with Hajek, Smith was grading out pretty close to an average 3rd pair guy. Hajek drags him down.
I;m guessing that Reunanen will be better than Hajek by next year and Robertson will likely need some time in the AHL. My prediction is that Reunanen will be taking that last LD spot.

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
Robertson, Lundkvist, Hajek, and Reunanen will be the four candidates for two NHL jobs next year. And thats not including the outside chance for Schneider.

Reunanen may already see he is essentially on the outside looking in.

As high as we are on Robertson, it'd be a coup if he made the NHL at age 20 over Reunanen who will be 23.

IMO it's keeping the job, not securing it, that's Reunanen's biggest obstacle.

If he can't beat our Hajek/Bittetto/whatever other veteran LD we inevitably sign though, then yeah that's it for Tarmo.

Think there might be some hesitancy to run an all rookie third pairing like Reunanen-Lundkvist next season but who knows. We will actally have a training camp with preseason games to see what all these guys can do.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
As high as we are on Robertson, it'd be a coup if he made the NHL at age 20 over Reunanen who will be 23.

IMO it's keeping the job, not securing it, that's Reunanen's biggest obstacle.

If he can't beat our Hajek/Bittetto/whatever other veteran LD we inevitably sign though, then yeah that's it for Tarmo.

Think there might be some hesitancy to run an all rookie third pairing like Reunanen-Lundkvist next season but who knows. We will actally have a training camp with preseason games to see what all these guys can do.

We had an all-rookie pairing last season and it worked out well

Reactions: SnowblindNYR

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
Smith IMO has been god awful this season, his puck decision skills have completely deteriorated and that has nothing do with Hajek. Smith can barely figure out what to do anymore with the puck and always seems to just turn it over. Last night summed it up perfectly when he went around the net with the puck to avoid Crosby, only to continue to go around the net and have Crosby be right in his face. He was a serviceable bottom pair for us the last 1-2 years, but his time is clearly up.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
Gauthier is probably the player I'm hoping is left exposed if I'm Seattle. He's a former 1st rounder, a goal scorer in the AHL, big, fast, and never was given much of a chance in the NHL due to depth.

Same here. I would pick Gauthier over Rooney, Blackwell and Howden based on value alone.

Reactions: CLW and RGY

Graves94

Nov 26, 2010
Montreal
Gauthier is probably the player I'm hoping is left exposed if I'm Seattle. He's a former 1st rounder, a goal scorer in the AHL, big, fast, and never was given much of a chance in the NHL due to depth.
Gauthier is the kind of player you regret trading in a few years...

Reactions: RGY

bobbop

Henrik & Pop
Sponsor
May 27, 2004
Now, Suburban Phoenix. Then, Long Island
Next year, the Rangers will again have three ELCs on defense. That tells me they can splurge a little on a veteran LHD to help break in Lundkvist and stabilize the defense.

There’s a good chance wherever Ekholm finishes the season that team will not have a protection spot available for the expansion draft. He’s the number one defenseman on my shopping list.

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
Next year, the Rangers will again have three ELCs on defense. That tells me they can splurge a little on a veteran LHD to help break in Lundkvist and stabilize the defense.

There’s a good chance wherever Ekholm finishes the season that team will not have a protection spot available for the expansion draft. He’s the number one defenseman on my shopping list.

How many years and how much money are you thinking? Because I don't thing either number will be small.

jay from jersey

Jan 30, 2008
We had an all-rookie pairing last season and it worked out well
Would have no problem running a rookie 3rd pairing of Robertson-lundkvist /Schneider if they show they are ready at camp. Can always find a cheap vet signing for 3rd pair for insurance if need be. Rather play the kids if they show they are ready

Reactions: Off Sides

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad