Prospect Info: 2020 NHL Draft 19th Overall Pick, Braden Schneider, D

LastWordArmy

Sep 11, 2011
Canada
Braden Schneider had a strong season with seven goals and 35 assists for 42 points in 60 games for the Brandon Wheat Kings. He is considered a leader on the team as an alternate captain. He also played in two games for the WHL in the Canada-Russia Super Series and appeared in the CHL Top Prospects Game, scoring a goal in the game.

Schneider played eight games for Team Canada at the Under-18 World Championships last spring. He scored two goals and an assist and was named a top-three player on the team. Schneider was part of the 2018 Team Canada entrant at the Hlinka-Gretzky Cup, winning gold. The late-2001 birthdate defender had 24 points in 58 games last season. The 12th overall pick in the 2016 WHL Bantam Draft, Schneider had 22 points in 66 games in 2017-18 as a WHL rookie. He also scored six points in 11 playoff games that year. He played for Team Canada White at the 2017 Under-17 World Hockey Challenge, picking up two points in six tournament games.

Braden Schneider Scouting Report: 2020 NHL Draft #17

LokiDog

Get pucks deep. Get pucks to the net. And, uh…
Sep 13, 2018
Dallas
Really like the player... don’t like drafting a RHD in the first round, especially after trading up and leaving a great center prospect on the board.

We’re log jammed at RD. Even if we trade ADA this summer, Lundkvist and Schneider will be fighting for that last RD spot. Trouba and Fox aren’t going anywhere.

cwede

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 1, 2010
So tell me, is he really what tv made him sound like a taller, righty, Canadian "Lindgren" ?

Crease

Chief Justice of the HFNYR Court
Jul 12, 2004
The Rangers obviously love him enough to trade up. But right now he’s at least 5th in the organizational depth chart at RHD. I guess we’ll see him in 2024 when Trouba’s NMC expires?

Reactions: mas0764

QJL

Jan 2, 2014
Rangers take the best player in the 1st round.

Schneider is an absolutely beast

13th on my board.

Not a good positional fit given our depth at RHD, but a hell of a player.

This makes it inevitable that DeAngelo moved and will likely mean either Schneider or Lundkvist are moved in the future as well.

broadwayblue

Mar 4, 2004
NYC
I asked about him a week ago and was told there was no way he made it to us. I know we traded up a few spots to get him, but he was highly rated. Just figured we would get a C if we traded up.

usekakkorightquinn

Oct 18, 2019
Schneider will be at least 3-4 years away. By then Trouba will be on the way out or bought out. Anybody comparing him to McIrath is an imbecile. He's nothing like him. In 4 years Trouba will have a limited NTC only.

Reactions: dumpin and Cag29

Gospel of Prospal

America's Team
May 29, 2010
New York City
Well, we know Fox is here for the next several years. And Trouba is signed for the next several years. So who will be the third-pair RHD? Lundkvist or Schneider?

LokiDog

Get pucks deep. Get pucks to the net. And, uh…
Sep 13, 2018
Dallas
I like Schneider as a player. I like Schneider a lot if he’s NHL ready in 2 years. I’m okay with the idea of balancing the D more and not going with smaller puck movers. If that’s the case, package what it takes to land a 2C. Let Strome walk if you have to, package ADA/Nils/Krav and grab a legitimate 2C. Or top LD.

ColonialsHockey10

Jul 22, 2007
How is Schneider’s IQ and positioning?

Love that he throws big hits. But not at the sacrifice of sound defense.

Harbour Dog

Jul 16, 2015
St. John's
I'm fine with the pick, and am even okay with the price we paid to move up.

This is a pick that I will hold extra value to when I judge our scouting. We paid a little extra and took him at probably our strongest position. Hopefully their confidence is well-placed.

UnSandvich

Sep 7, 2017
Decidedly underwhelmed by both the player and the trade up. But hey, I was by the Chytil pick too, and look how that's gone so far.

Reactions: ponytrekker

charliemurphy

Feb 16, 2004
Brooklyn, NY
The Rangers obviously love him enough to trade up. But right now he’s at least 5th in the organizational depth chart at RHD. I guess we’ll see him in 2024 when Trouba’s NMC expires?
This.
Schneider will probably play one more season in the WHL before getting at least one season in Hartford. Are some thinking this kid will push for a spot next season?

Glen Sathers Cigar

Sather 4 Ever
Feb 4, 2013
New York
Lmao at all the people who most likely know next to nothing about the player (here and on Twitter) comparing him to McIlrath and lambasting him and trading up for him.

Kid seems like this is around where he was projected to go. The Rangers clearly like him. We have assets out the ass, who cares about trading up? That’s the whole point of acquiring a shit ton of assets, to afford yourself the flexibility to make a move like this if you love a player.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad