Prospect Info: 2020 NHL Draft 19th Overall Pick, Braden Schneider, D

ThirdEye

Nov 28, 2006
New York
Crazy that we were able to land Schneider in a draft where we also got the #1 pick. Guy is about as safe a bet to be a top 4 D as it gets. Lundkvist is definitely more dynamic but Schneider’s shut down capabilities seem otherworldly

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
We all understand that there are only so many spots on defense. In saying that, I'd PROBABLY be more inclined to see what a player Lindgren could return if guys like Robertson, Schneider and Lundqvist develop than trading Lundqvist or Schneider. Let one of them move to the left side.

Miller-Trouba
Robertson-Fox
Lundqvist-Schneider

The ELC's will be valuable and teams will be more confident acquiring a guy who has proven to be a top-4 d-man in the NHL which means his value will be higher.

Reactions: mas0764

Rangers in 7

Dec 17, 2015
Long Island
We all understand that there are only so many spots on defense. In saying that, I'd PROBABLY be more inclined to see what a player Lindgren could return if guys like Robertson, Schneider and Lundqvist develop than trading Lundqvist or Schneider. Let one of them move to the left side.

Miller-Trouba
Robertson-Fox
Lundqvist-Schneider

The ELC's will be valuable and teams will be more confident acquiring a guy who has proven to be a top-4 d-man in the NHL which means his value will be higher.
fox could be successful without a d partner so i agree with this idea

Oscar Lindberg

Dec 14, 2015
CA
Moving Schneider or Lundkvist to the left seems much more feasible than moving someone like DeAngelo

mainly because those guys can actually ya know, defend

that said I think the most likely outcome is one of the two is moved eventually. Not all these prospects are going to be on the team

E-Train

Feb 27, 2002
New Jersey
Schneider can start the year in Hartford with Robertson. They’ll bring a vet LHD to camp for sure (let’s hope better than JMFJ). We’ll see if Hajek survives the expansion draft as well.

I’d really like to see Lundkvist get a good run with the big club before any moves are made.

MysticLeviathan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 7, 2013
I hated the Schneider pick because of this. and we made the pick when ADA was in the picture still! We have 4 RHDs and 3 spots. Now we have to move one and pray we don’t f*** it up and move the wrong one.

jay from jersey

Jan 30, 2008
I hated the Schneider pick because of this. and we made the pick when ADA was in the picture still! We have 4 RHDs and 3 spots. Now we have to move one and pray we don’t f*** it up and move the wrong one.
Me too. But drafting Big D that can move the puck is always a plus. Fox became other worldly and the pick insulated us a little in case of injury. Odds are by the time trouba’s nMC is done whoever we keep lundkvist or Schneider should be as good or better and knock trouba to 3rd pairing. That will ultimately help with trading him as hell most likely want a bigger role. I still think skinner is An ideal 3rd pairing D if all works out well

Hi ImHFNYR

Jan 10, 2013
Wherever I'm standing atm
People get hurt, people wind up having a flaw or two or twelve. Until we have everyone playing at a top 4 level we don't need to worry about everyone playing at a top 4 D level. It's really nice that the team is in a position where this could become a legitimate reality. So don't stress about it. Hope it comes to fruition.

Edit: Then, when they're killing it and the ELCs are coming up, move Trouba or something. None of this is even remotely a problem right now and likely isn't a problem in the future either.
People are complaining that we might have too many great RD. It's silly

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
It will be interesting to see how this will unfold but how amazing has this rebuild been on defense, huh? DeAngelo being bought out isn't even a problem. Wicked
To me, barring a move or a veteran being brought in, the battle between Schneider and Lundkvist should be the battle of camp next year. After that, it looks like Hajek vs. Tarmo vs. Robertson for the other side.

We also know that a defensive prospects that we all like a lot will be moved. Or two.

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
It will be a two way battle between Lundkvist and Schneider, but the spot is his to lose and all indications point that the kid is as ready as it gets for the next level. He literally just broke records and won awards this past season playing amongst men. He's 2 years older than Schneider with a better pedigree up to this point.

For all intensive purposes, if it weren't for Covid, Lundkvist would have probably been playing on the rangers this season.

Schneider might be ready for the NHL, but there is also no need go rush him. At this point he would likely need to come to camp and play lights out in order to take the spot from Lundkvist.
Why are we rushing Schneider and not Lundkvist? I do not understand? There was NOTHING in Schneider's games in the NHL that suggested that he is not ready for a shot. It will be a battle. Most, especially on here, have the spot as sewn away for Lundqvist. But given how Schneider has been performing, he is going to battle for it. And no one should be shocked if he wins it.

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Moving Schneider or Lundkvist to the left seems much more feasible than moving someone like DeAngelo
Each is better defensively than DeAngelo is.

The Rangers have not really shown that they are willing to make players switch sides, but I will go against the grain ( I usually am against this) and say that if either could to the other side, it is truly an answer to the "how do we keep both" prayer.

jay from jersey

Jan 30, 2008
Each is better defensively than DeAngelo is.

The Rangers have not really shown that they are willing to make players switch sides, but I will go against the grain ( I usually am against this) and say that if either could to the other side, it is truly an answer to the "how do we keep both" prayer.
Yea I don’t think so either. That’s a short term solution at best because then you run the risk of losing one one lindgren Miller or Robertson who isn’t far off either. 1st world problems hah

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
To me, barring a move or a veteran being brought in, the battle between Schneider and Lundkvist should be the battle of camp next year. After that, it looks like Hajek vs. Tarmo vs. Robertson for the other side.

We also know that a defensive prospects that we all like a lot will be moved. Or two.

Kick the can down the road.

NYR:
Lindgren-Fox
Miller-Trouba
Reunanen-Lundkvist
Hájek/Bitetto

HFD:
Robertson-Schneider
Crawley-LoVerde
Geertsen-Skinner (Bruise Brothers)

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
There is absolutely no smoke or fire to suggest that.

There's also nothing to suggest it won't happen.

We know that Trouba has 3 years left on his NMC, which means we'll have some options if we want to trade him. And we know that very few players actually finish their long term deals with the Rangers. I don't see any reason why Trouba would be the exception.

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
There's also nothing to suggest it won't happen.

We know that Trouba has 3 years left on his NMC, which means we'll have some options if we want to trade him. And we know that very few players actually finish their long term deals with the Rangers. I don't see any reason why Trouba would be the exception.
Fair, but I seen nothing that has him being moved even in the medium term. His game and size were brought here with the playoffs in mind. Sure he could be moved, but I tend to think that he was brough there for deep playoff runs.

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
Fair, but I seen nothing that has him being moved even in the medium term. His game and size were brought here with the playoffs in mind. Sure he could be moved, but I tend to think that he was brough there for deep playoff runs.

So do I. But I also think that Schneider's game is similar, and if he develops well, may eventually replace Trouba in that role.

bobbop

Henrik & Pop
Sponsor
May 27, 2004
Now, Suburban Phoenix. Then, Long Island
I still think the Rangers will invest in a veteran left hand defenseman next year (Nordstrom?) to help break in Lundkvist and give the kids time to develop in Hartford.

Solidifying the bottom pair will really help this team improve.

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
So do I. But I also think that Schneider's game is similar, and if he develops well, may eventually replace Trouba in that role.
He may well. Or management and the coaching staff will decide that the playoffs are better off with both of them. And Fox.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
Too many good defensemen is not something bad at all. I don’t necessarily see Schneider as Trouba’s replacement. At the same time I think the Rangers want Lundkvist to become a second power play quarterback option. The guy that could potentially make him tradable is Jones. Other than that no one. I don’t think the Rangers really want three smallish puck movers. They’ll be happy with two though and I think there will be more than enough skill from the likes of bigger or grittier guys like Trouba, Miller, Lindgren, Schneider, Robertson and perhaps Hajek or Skinner.

I like Brendan Smith but I don’t see him getting another contract from us this summer. I also think Reunanen is a good player but I don’t see him cutting it against the competition he’ll have.

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
I still think the Rangers will invest in a veteran left hand defenseman next year (Nordstrom?) to help break in Lundkvist and give the kids time to develop in Hartford.

Solidifying the bottom pair will really help this team improve.

Are Robertson and Schneider both AHL eligible next year? That could be a good top pairing for Hartford, with the added bonus that they develop some cohesion.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad