Prospect Info: 2020 NHL Draft 19th Overall Pick, Braden Schneider, D

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
Unless I had my eyes closed didn’t see one thundering hit in that highlight video

I honestly tink the the whole thundering hit/physical presence aspect of Schneider is over-stated and paints a somewhat inaccurate picture.

I think that's part of why people who were unfamiliar with him may have thought he was in the McIlrath mold.

Schneider's greatest attribute is his positioning and reads. He's not typically going out of his way to crush someone --- he's typically boxing them out, riding them into the boards and coming away with the puck.

I get that it doesn't make for a great highlight video, but his meat and potatoes is damn good defense.

Last edited:

broadwayblue

Mar 4, 2004
NYC
I honestly tink the the whole thundering hit/physical presence aspect of Schneider is over-stated and paints a somewhat in accurate picture.

I think that's part of why people who were unfamiliar with him may have thought he was in the McIlrath mold.

Schneider's greatest attribute is his positioning and reads. He's not typically going out of his way to crush someone --- he's typically boxing them out, riding them into the boards and coming away with the puck.

I get that it doesn't make for a great highlight video, but his meat and potatoes is damn good defense.

As much as I love a thundering hit as much as anyone, I'm happy to forego that for tough smothering defensive play.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
As much as I love a thundering hit as much as anyone, I'm happy to forego that for tough smothering defensive play.

That's where he reminds me a bit of McD.

McD was a very aggressive player, almost quietly. He wasn't a big PIM guy, or someone who went out there like a wrecking ball. But he was all over players in his own zone and didn't get them much room to breathe.

That's a big part of the hope/projection for someone like Schneider. You're going to hear more comparisons to guys like McD or Trouba than you will guys like McIlrath or even Stevens.

Reactions: Leetch3

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
I find videos of boxing out opponents and riding and rubbing them out of the play along the boards absolutely thrilling, and I can watch them all day. It's the inner beauty of defense.

I think a lot of people on here would. Not so sure about the Twitter community.

But those are the videos I think you guys will like that are out there. Watch his work against Jack Hughes for example. He's got 3-4 inches and 30-40 pounds on Hughes, but he isn't getting stupid physically. His approach is very calculated and precise. It definitely utilizes his strength and balance, but it's about making effective plays that win games.

Brooklyn Rangers Fan

Change is good.
Aug 23, 2005
Brooklyn & Upstate
I think a lot of people on here would. Not so sure about the Twitter community.

But those are the videos I think you guys will like that are out there. Watch his work against Jack Hughes for example. He's got 3-4 inches and 30-40 pounds on Hughes, but he isn't getting stupid physically. His approach is very calculated and precise. It definitely utilizes his strength and balance, but it's about making effective plays that win games.
Just completely frustrates him. It's glorious.

charliemurphy

Feb 16, 2004
Brooklyn, NY

McD was a very aggressive player, almost quietly. He wasn't a big PIM guy, or someone who went out there like a wrecking ball. But he was all over players in his own zone and didn't get them much room to breathe.

That's a big part of the hope/projection for someone like Schneider. You're going to hear more comparisons to guys like McD or Trouba than you will guys like McIlrath or even Stevens.

This.
I honestly don't get the McIlrath comparisons. McD or even Seabrook comparisons would be more in line with Schneider. Smart, really good skating and positioning. Has a great ability to take space away... the puck doesn't stay in the zone very long when he's on the ice and has a good shot as well.
If all goes well, the thought of having him paired with Miller or Robertson down the road should get folks pretty excited but this kid. Couple of seasons and he should be knocking on the door.

Reactions: Edge

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
I honestly tink the the whole thundering hit/physical presence aspect of Schneider is over-stated and paints a somewhat in accurate picture.

This sounds like McDonagh which would be GLORIOUS

Reactions: Leetch3

RangersFan1994

Aug 20, 2019
came across this video from THG back in June on braden schneider....he is really high on him and predicted he would go to florida at 12

despite how people don't like his videos at times, I do find him entertaining. I watch his videos all the time. he knows his stuff.

Reactions: HockeyBasedNYC

Synergy27

F-A-C-G-C-E
Apr 27, 2004
Washington, D.C.
I find videos of boxing out opponents and riding and rubbing them out of the play along the boards absolutely thrilling, and I can watch them all day. It's the inner beauty of defense.
When you get a chance, go rewatch the closing seconds/last face off of the ‘94 Cup win and keep an eye on Steve Larmer. Such an underrated member of that team.

MysticLeviathan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 7, 2013
Assuming this guy stays with us, that means we have to trade Lundkvist, right? Where does he play?

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
Assuming this guy stays with us, that means we have to trade Lundkvist, right? Where does he play?

I don't think it's outside of the realm of possibility that a trade is made at some point but there is A LOT of time between now and when that decision needs to be made. Fox could stumble Lundqvist or Schneider could prove to be fully capable of playing on the left side, etc. Trouba has a NMC for 4 years, that takes Schneider to 22 years old. Not exactly out of the realm of possibility that the team lets him marinate that long either.

Reactions: CasusBelli

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
I don't think it's outside of the realm of possibility that a trade is made at some point but there is A LOT of time between now and when that decision needs to be made. Fox could stumble Lundqvist or Schneider could prove to be fully capable of playing on the left side, etc. Trouba has a NMC for 4 years, that takes Schneider to 22 years old. Not exactly out of the realm of possibility that the team lets him marinate that long either.
There is time. And yes, a trade will probably be in the works. Even if you have an entire right side of Trouba + homegrown, that still has Fox, Lundqvist & Schneider. And that already presumes that DeAngelo has already been traded. Don't think that Schneider will take 4 years as he is heading to his 4th season in juniors I believe. But as you said, there is a lot of time and anything can happen. But it is possible that at the point that the Rangers need to make a decision, that in order to shore up a weakness that someone like Lundqvist (chics and GMs dig the offensive potential) will be the bait. Especially if he he can make a reasonable impact when he arrives. But the good news is that there is plenty of time for things to sort themselves.

CasusBelli

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 6, 2017

I was gonna say J-Bo. Same player.

egelband

Sep 6, 2008
For better or for worse, he seems more decisive than McDonagh. Mac's powerful skating and mobility allowed him to take a little bit more time to assess his options and recover if his path up the ice crumbled around him. Schneider seems like the kind of player who commits to the play he saw in his head before he touches the puck - 8 times out of 10 it works out, but the other two times he forces a bad pass or takes himself out of the play.

He is still a good skater though and has a good top speed in full flight. Opponents often seem surprised by his ranginess when they think they've got him beat and I like how he can close guys off without losing sight on where the puck is squirting out to.
Yes. Very decisive and confident. He appears to really see the flow well. I’ve just seen highlights, but from what I see he is exceptionally good at being a step ahead of the play. Which allows him to do a lot of game-changing things. I don’t know how that will translate, but if it does, that could be a first pairing shutdown defenseman.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad