Prospect Info: 2020 NHL Draft 19th Overall Pick, Braden Schneider, D

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
I've been afraid to make this comparison myself, but I see the same thing. My hesitation is because McD was (is) a legitimate #1 D and I'm not so sure that's where Schneider shakes out. But stylistically, it's a totally reasonable comp. There aren't many defensemen left who play that type of game because the primary focus seems to have shifted to guys who can create offensive opportunities from the back end. But having a player who consistently thwarts those opportunities is so underrated.

McD had the edge on skating, and was able to eventually develop the offensive game that was expected of him in his draft eligible year.

I don't quite think Schneider has the same tool box in that regard, but yet I don't know if the end result isn't still in that 5-8 goal, 30-35 point range.

Personally, if he's McD-lite, that would be fantastic.

Brooklyn Rangers Fan

Change is good.
Aug 23, 2005
Brooklyn & Upstate
McD had the edge on skating, and was able to eventually develop the offensive game that was expected of him in his draft eligible year.

I don't quite think Schneider has the same tool box in that regard, but yet I don't know if the end result isn't still in that 5-8 goal, 30-35 point range.

Having watched one complete game plus highlights (which is admittedly a small sample size), I'd describe him as being harder/crisper than McD in everything he does, but not as smooth and half a step slower.

Reactions: eco's bones

Kravtsov420

May 4, 2019
To tell you the truth I really love this pick. This kid is nasty and mean, but has the skill to match. Going to make an amazing complimentary player to one of the offensive guys like fox or lundkvist and allow them to play their game.

He seems to be a leader as well and should really excel in the playoffs. I think this kid will be a fan favorite when he gets here.

romba

Aug 2, 2005
New Jersey
To tell you the truth I really love this pick. This kid is nasty and mean, but has the skill to match. Going to make an amazing complimentary player to one of the offensive guys like fox or lundkvist and allow them to play their game.

He seems to be a leader as well and should really excel in the playoffs. I think this kid will be a fan favorite when he gets here.
His smarts, snarl, and agility are what seem to set him apart. The skill should be adequate with that combo.

CaptTennille

President of the Blair Betts Fan Club
May 24, 2017
Brooklyn
Having watched one complete game plus highlights (which is admittedly a small sample size), I'd describe him as being harder/crisper than McD in everything he does, but not as smooth and half a step slower.

For better or for worse, he seems more decisive than McDonagh. Mac's powerful skating and mobility allowed him to take a little bit more time to assess his options and recover if his path up the ice crumbled around him. Schneider seems like the kind of player who commits to the play he saw in his head before he touches the puck - 8 times out of 10 it works out, but the other two times he forces a bad pass or takes himself out of the play.

He is still a good skater though and has a good top speed in full flight. Opponents often seem surprised by his ranginess when they think they've got him beat and I like how he can close guys off without losing sight on where the puck is squirting out to.

ColonialsHockey10

Jul 22, 2007
So you know how Lafreniere's most famous goal was his takeaway of K'Andre Miller?

Well, here's a clip of one of our prospects (Schneider) nailing another one of our prospects (Henriksson):

7:40

This video in general is amazing. I would highly recommend for posters trying to visualize his defensive game.

The most impressive plays here are when he intercepts passes but fluidly taps it to his teammates to start a rush the other way. He doesn’t hold onto the puck for even a second.

His breakout ability is fantastic as well. He’s going to rack up more points than people think, playing with Laf, Panarin, Mika and Kakko. His transition game will do all the talking.

HockeyBasedNYC

Feeling it
Aug 2, 2005
Here
In addition to the player they got here there are 3 other points to be made about how important this pick was for the future of this team:

1. They added the type of player that is usually only available through drafting and it provides them with security going into the future regarding the flat cap and the future ramifications of it.

Having to go out and make a deal or pay for a shut-down guy like this through free agency, when they already had to with Trouba would've been a hit to forming a championship level roster.

2. They were lucky to draft arguably the best forward available in each of the past two drafts and while they didn't draft for the current need of a center like many fans were clamoring for, they can now patiently assess their ridiculously stacked pipeline of defenseman over the next few years and then make deals with some of those chips to address holes they may have elsewhere. Trading Keane for Gauthier is a prime example of that.

3. I can't overstate this enough - they aggressively traded up to pick Schneider at 19, blocking the Devils from selecting him. Schneider was one of the top 4 defenseman available in this draft and while he isn't Scott Stevens he was certainly regarded by many as a level above a guy like Barron or the defenseman the Devils chose in Mukhamadullin.

The Devils most likely had a plan to take 2 forwards and a Dman and they couldve hit a grand slam if they got Schneider to go along with Holtz and Mercer. This is move will possibly start out as a ripple and turn into a wave when you think about how important the shut-down potential is for this kid and knowing you won't have to face him 4+ times a year. Added bonus that its the Devils, just because.

NoQuitInNewMexico

Jan 7, 2011
new mexico lol
Reactions: SnowblindNYR

MarkMessyay11

Jan 12, 2015
NJ

Agreed. McD's skating ability really enabled him to go toe-to-toe with the best in the league every game while also taking chances offensively when he could. I don't know if having plus skating is totally necessary to play that same defensive role, however. Knowing your limitations, containing/moving rushes to the outside, and playing your angles properly can be just as effective. It's just a safer and more heady approach.

A true #3 McD-lite defenseman would be a dream come true for this pick .

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY

Harbour Dog

Jul 16, 2015
St. John's
One of my grad school classmates is named Hayden and he's from like Louisiana or somewhere. So not just Western Canadians.

Yeah, growing up in Newfoundland, I never knew a single Braden, Hayden, or Jayden; since moving up here I have met multiple of each.

'Corbin' is the only name that threw me for a loop at first. I just assumed that I met multiple people who were referred to by their surname. It wasn't until I seen it written down that I realized parents up here have been calling their children 'Corbin' for decades.

Lion Hound

@JoeTucc26
Mar 12, 2007
Montauk NY
Im not loving the McDonagh comparision. McDonagh was really never a physical guy. He was the workhorse. A minute muncher. He was a very athletic defenseman who made a lot of smart decision with the puck. He wasn't a crease clearer. He wasn't a big hitter. He threw the body from time to time and muscled for position. Total 2 way defender who could skate the puck out of trouble and provide some offense. He was truly never a physical guy.

Schneider himself like's to emulate Alex Pietrangelo's game, however he doesn't compare himself to him. That was from Blackbook.

Redline compares him to Darnell Nurse. I think the physical side of Nurses game is more comparable to Schneider. In the OHL Nurse wasn't a frequent fighter. He was good for a couple per season. He fought more in the professional level. He did impose his will. He was nasty. He was tough to play against. For Schneider I hope that morphs into his NHL game. He's big, he's nasty and he imposes his will. To be honest if Braden is going to impose his will physically at the NHL level he is going to have to defend himself cause at that level guys are going to come calling. Ryan Lindgren learned that the hard way this year. He continued to play the same way after taking some lumps. I think is is part of what separates some of these players from carrying over their nasty demeanor from a WHL/OHL level to the professional level.

The big question for any physical defenseman is this. Will they adapt enough to play that role at a higher level. If they do, they are worth their weight in gold. Cause it is a very hard position to fill. You just never know which of these guys are going to make it? This is one of the most coveted prospects in hockey today. Not Schnieder himself, but the idea of a physical two way defender. Its a very tough position to fill. Rangers have one in Lindgren. They have one in Trouba. Hopfully they have another in Schneider. One NHL scout had this to say about him, and I love this line. "You can't get players like this unless you draft them."

ColonialsHockey10

Jul 22, 2007
Im not loving the McDonagh comparision. McDonagh was really never a physical guy. He was the workhorse. A minute muncher. He was a very athletic defenseman who made a lot of smart decision with the puck. He wasn't a crease clearer. He wasn't a big hitter. He threw the body from time to time and muscled for position. Total 2 way defender who could skate the puck out of trouble and provide some offense. He was truly never a physical guy.

Schneider himself like's to emulate Alex Pietrangelo's game, however he doesn't compare himself to him. That was from Blackbook.

Redline compares him to Darnell Nurse. I think the physical side of Nurses game is more comparable to Schneider. In the OHL Nurse wasn't a frequent fighter. He was good for a couple per season. He fought more in the professional level. He did impose his will. He was nasty. He was tough to play against. For Schneider I hope that morphs into his NHL game. He's big, he's nasty and he imposes his will. To be honest if Braden is going to impose his will physically at the NHL level he is going to have to defend himself cause at that level guys are going to come calling. Ryan Lindgren learned that the hard way this year. He continued to play the same way after taking some lumps. I think is is part of what separates some of these players from carrying over their nasty demeanor from a WHL/OHL level to the professional level.

The big question for any physical defenseman is this. Will they adapt enough to play that role at a higher level. If they do, they are worth their weight in gold. Cause it is a very hard position to fill. You just never know which of these guys are going to make it? This is one of the most coveted prospects in hockey today. Not Schnieder himself, but the idea of a physical two way defender. Its a very tough position to fill. Rangers have one in Lindgren. They have one in Trouba. Hopfully they have another in Schneider. One NHL scout had this to say about him, and I love this line. "You can't get players like this unless you draft them."

A lot of people forget, but McDonagh was verrryy physical at the college level. Him and Brendan Smith were menaces at Wisconsin. McDonagh lost that element at the next level, but his offense improved.

I admittedly haven’t watch Schneider live, but from his highlights I see a lot of resemblance to McDonagh. The difference is he’s more physical and he can’t skate 360 degrees like McD could/can. The short breakout passes remind me of early Staal.

Either way, a lot to be excited about.

Don Chytil

Jan 14, 2010
Queens
It’s a yuppie name

Yeah it's mostly a Gen-Z and younger name. It's actually a really common one, even in the US. Aiden, Jayden, Brayden, Kayden. All of those are actually in the top 100 names of US babies now. To me, the funniest part of it is that 50 years from now kids are gonna be like "Oh yeah, that's my Grandpa Brayden" and it's gonna be totally normal :laugh:

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
Yeah it's mostly a Gen-Z and younger name. It's actually a really common one, even in the US. Aiden, Jayden, Brayden, Kayden. All of those are actually in the top 100 names of US babies now. To me, the funniest part of it is that 50 years from now kids are gonna be like "Oh yeah, that's my Grandpa Brayden" and it's gonna be totally normal :laugh:

Yeah, Braden, Kaden and Jaden are the male equivalent of Kayleigh, Ashleigh and Ryleigh.

But what's more disturbing is that in 50-60 years, kids will have grandmothers named Arya and Khaleesi :laugh:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad