Prospect Info: 2020 NHL Draft 19th Overall Pick, Braden Schneider, D

egelband

Sep 6, 2008
What is Schneider’s timeline? I can see him getting a long look in training camp, but i guess that is dependent on him signing a contract. Which I guess won’t be ‘til next year?

Leetch3

Jul 14, 2009
What is Schneider’s timeline? I can see him getting a long look in training camp, but i guess that is dependent on him signing a contract. Which I guess won’t be ‘til next year?

he will probably turn pro next year since he'll be able to play in the AHL. he's probably in the mix for the rangers next year or the following depending on the lineup

Reactions: egelband

egelband

Sep 6, 2008
he will probably turn pro next year since he'll be able to play in the AHL. he's probably in the mix for the rangers next year or the following depending on the lineup
Next year, being 21-22? As opposed to the proposed 2021 (Jan-Jun-ish) season, right?

Leetch3

Jul 14, 2009
Next year, being 21-22? As opposed to the proposed 2021 (Jan-Jun-ish) season, right?

yeah next year/next season meaning 21-22...if we had less depth on RD he could challenge in camp this year but I would be shocked if he isn't back in Brandon for whatever season the WHL has. 21-22 both he and robertson can play in the AHL

huerter

Aug 16, 2020
Did anyone listen to Vince's podcast? I'm afraid to listen after last week's debacle. #martin #krug #pajuniemi

MysticLeviathan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 7, 2013
Well, when Schneider is ready, Trouba's NMC turns into a limited NTC. Also, DeAngelo won't be here for more than 2 years

Schneider is one of the oldest players in the draft. Trouba’s NMC only becomes a modified NTC. You’re assuming we can make a good trade with Trouba when everyone else knows we have to trade him and we won’t have the entire league to choose from. You’re assuming it’ll take 4 years for Schneider to be ready. I don’t see any of this being true.

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
Schneider is one of the oldest players in the draft. Trouba’s NMC only becomes a modified NTC. You’re assuming we can make a good trade with Trouba when everyone else knows we have to trade him and we won’t have the entire league to choose from. You’re assuming it’ll take 4 years for Schneider to be ready. I don’t see any of this being true.

If the issue is creating room for a budding, young, cheap player like Schneider then just finding a home for Trouba is all that is needed. Again, this is 3 years down the road

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise

Barring anything completely unexpected, he'll turn pro as early as spring 2021 --- so potentially 6-7 months from now. At this pont I will be very surprised if he isn't playing in Hartford next year --- or catching some positive attention in next year's camp.

It's a bit too early to make longer projections --- but he could be a kid who makes his NHL debut and gets a look as early as the mid-point of the 2021-22 season after an apprenticeship in Hartford.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
Braden mentioned on Vince's podcast that he was a left handed shot when he was like 6. Something to think about.

When I played field hockey as a kid, I shot that way too, and in Europe, a lot of kids playing hockey shoot with their dominant hand at the bottom of their stick.

Schneider doing this is definitely interesting.

bl02

Jan 13, 2014
Man hope he gets paired with Robertson at the world Juniors. Would be fun to watch. Or at very least both make the team and play important minutes.

Leetch3

Jul 14, 2009
When I played field hockey as a kid, I shot that way too, and in Europe, a lot of kids playing hockey shoot with their dominant hand at the bottom of their stick.

Schneider doing this is definitely interesting.

lol he really didn't shoot lefty...he joked about how when he first started to play and didn't know what he was doing he'd hold the stick wrong

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
lol he really didn't shoot lefty...he joked about how when he first started to play and didn't know what he was doing he'd hold the stick wrong

Ah, that makes more sense haha. But the part about kids in Europe is still true. Only at a later age do they teach you to use your dominant hand for precision (top of the stick). I never really got used to that

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
FWIW, I think the Rangers might be a little more comfortable considering Schneider on the left side, if it ever came to that, than some other options that have come up.

Mikos87

Mar 19, 2002
Visit site
Alrighty, there's a reason why his coach called him the safest pick in the draft. The scouting report on him is very simple. "Makes good plays.". This is a pro ready prospect in the eyes of many, and I will say I was very surprised to see the Rangers get him. From what I was able to gather, I would have thought three teams should or could have taken him in the top 15, including one in the top 10.

He's not slow, he plays defense. He actually defends, with his feet, stick, body. Right play, at the right time. It's really hard to not like this pick. Hopefully he cracks the WJC squad and gets back on the ice. I think he still might be able to put on a couple of more pounds of muscle, create rebounds, aim for tips. Getting more shots through, or maintaining possession depending on his options is something he can work on. If he's going to eat those minutes he's going to have to be some sort of catalyst, and an excellent support player who can help shrink the offensive zone at times.

People forget Scott Stevens sacrificed offense to play in the Devils system. Stevens was lighting up the league as the best player on the ice at any given time offensively as well for almost a ten year run. Would be interesting to see if he can develop a short clapper that's got some heft like a Malakhov. Would like to see him get some looks at both top of the key, and the one-time slot on a 1-3-1 using that right shot. All the tools are all there. Klingberg is another defenseman to study for this kid as well. When to keep it high, when to shoot it low. Type of shot to take. Shooting it while changing direction.

All things to add to his arsenal.

egelband

Sep 6, 2008
Alrighty, there's a reason why his coach called him the safest pick in the draft. The scouting report on him is very simple. "Makes good plays.". This is a pro ready prospect in the eyes of many, and I will say I was very surprised to see the Rangers get him. From what I was able to gather, I would have thought three teams should or could have taken him in the top 15, including one in the top 10.

He's not slow, he plays defense. He actually defends, with his feet, stick, body. Right play, at the right time. It's really hard to not like this pick. Hopefully he cracks the WJC squad and gets back on the ice. I think he still might be able to put on a couple of more pounds of muscle, create rebounds, aim for tips. Getting more shots through, or maintaining possession depending on his options is something he can work on. If he's going to eat those minutes he's going to have to be some sort of catalyst, and an excellent support player who can help shrink the offensive zone at times.

People forget Scott Stevens sacrificed offense to play in the Devils system. Stevens was lighting up the league as the best player on the ice at any given time offensively as well for almost a ten year run. Would be interesting to see if he can develop a short clapper that's got some heft like a Malakhov. Would like to see him get some looks at both top of the key, and the one-time slot on a 1-3-1 using that right shot. All the tools are all there. Klingberg is another defenseman to study for this kid as well. When to keep it high, when to shoot it low. Type of shot to take. Shooting it while changing direction.

All things to add to his arsenal.
I also see a bit of Stevens in him. At least defensively. How he seems to always be ahead of the play. A step quicker in the right direction. Really cutting off large swathes of the ice.

Reactions: charliemurphy

charliemurphy

Feb 16, 2004
Brooklyn, NY

One last season with the Kings before getting some time with the Wolfpack the following season. So, 2 more seasons if not sooner if things fall into place.

charliemurphy

Feb 16, 2004
Brooklyn, NY
I also see a bit of Stevens in him. At least defensively. How he seems to always be ahead of the play. A step quicker in the right direction. Really cutting off large swathes of the ice.
His ability to take away the ice once the puck enters the zone really stands out in his play. Really good skater. I can understand the Seabrook comparisons as well. I also like the pick from a character standpoint. Kid is another leader to add to the locker room and on the ice.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
2 seasons to the NHL might be...but I think next season in Hartford for Robertson and Schneider rather than back to juniors as overagers isn't crazy.

Well, both are eligible next year so yeah, Hartford makes sense. But pencilling Schneider in on our NHL lineup for 2022-23 seems a bit too optimistic IMO

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
This is a very optmistic expectation

Perhaps, but unless he plays in the WHL as an overage player, he's turning pro in 7 months or so.

He'll start the 2021-22 season as a 20 year old, and the following season as a 21 year old. That's timeline would split the difference of past first round picks on defense that we've seen.

He plays a pretty straight forward, pro-style game. The biggest challenge might be less about his development and more about the Rangers having an opening.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
Perhaps, but unless he plays in the WHL as an overage player, he's turning pro in 7 months or so.

He'll start the 2021-22 season as a 20 year old, and the following season as a 21 year old. That's timeline would split the difference of past first round picks on defense that we've seen.

He plays a pretty straight forward, pro-style game. The biggest challenge might be less about his development and more about the Rangers having an opening.

Plus we cannot forget that in a cap world, cheap players on rookie deals that can replace mediocre veterans are almost always going to get the nod.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->