OT: 2020 NFL and NCAAF thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jack Be Quick

Hasek Is Right
Mar 17, 2011
Brooklyn
@Zajacs Bowl Cut Not including stadium staff, flight and general transportation crew, medical personnel, trainers, officials, broadcasters, cameramen, hotel staff, food deliveries to guys with robust dietary needs, and hookers; you're looking at a bare minimum of 3 thousand rich men flying from places like Miami, Vegas, Chicago, NY, New Orleans, LA, Seattle, Baltimore, DC, Boston, Dallas, Houston, and Philadelphia every week and sweating, breathing all over, and smashing one another.

I think I'd like to double my wager.

Last edited:

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
I never said guys won't catch it

but knowing how the NFL operates, they are going to want to play. Too much money for them at stake.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
That's certainly a big part of it, especially in the NFL where careers are shorter and you have less time to make money. But there's also a certain amount of unspoken peer pressure - a lot of people just don't want to be the guy that bails on the rest of the team when they're taking the risk, especially in a leadership position like QB.

And there's also a lot of it won't happen to me denial, especially when you see some of the nonsense going on with the guys in Cleveland, St. Louis and Miami. Most of the baseball players did show up and they're getting far less money than the NFL players due to only getting less than half of their salaries.

Jack Be Quick

Hasek Is Right
Mar 17, 2011
Brooklyn
The guy's worth hundreds of millions. Guys opting out in the NBA are worth 20. Students are opting out in the NCAA (no doubt for numerous other reasons as well).

There's no chance I'd play if I had 20 in the bank in the NFL. NHL and NBA? I personally would probably play. But FU MLB and the NFL unless I'm making league minimum or stand to make more in 2022.

Stroman is right.

Last edited:

Jack Be Quick

Hasek Is Right
Mar 17, 2011
Brooklyn
That's certainly a big part of it, especially in the NFL where careers are shorter and you have less time to make money. But there's also a certain amount of unspoken peer pressure - a lot of people just don't want to be the guy that bails on the rest of the team when they're taking the risk, especially in a leadership position like QB.

You're worth hundreds of millions of dollars and are going to put your and your families health on the line at 36 y/o, not for glory or fame or a championship. You have that. But loyalty?

I don't buy it.

Dollars to doughnuts Mahomes, Brees and Rodgers don't play unless there's a bubble. Brady's a weirdo so I'm not willing to make that call.

Last edited:

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
You're worth hundreds of millions of dollars and are going to put your and your families health on the line at 36 y/o, not for glory or fame or a championship. You have that. But loyalty?

I don't buy it.

Dollars to doughnuts Mahomes, Brees and Rodgers don't play unless there's a bubble. Brady's a weirdo so I'm not willing to make that call.

They've already passed their opt-out deadline which was last week. NFL players play with the risk of injury on every play as it is, and only about 70 of 1500 players opted out with the biggest names being Damien Williams, Nate Solder and a couple of the Patriot defenders?

And students haven't opted out of the NCAA for the most part other than a couple of first-round picks, which was to be expected. Most non first-rounders still want to up their draft stock. And Trevor Lawrence - who has the most to lose to play - was vocal about playing. It's (some of) the schools themselves that have opted out because they don't want to risk liability issues if an unpaid 18-year old kid gets really sick on their watch.

Last edited:

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA

I don't buy it.

again, how much we betting? The season starts in like 3.5 weeks and the opt out deadline already passed.

Rodgers also doesn't have a family or kids so its a bit different

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA

I don't buy it.

you ready to re-think this yet?

Reactions: Billdo

JrFischer54

Apr 4, 2017
This is where the nhl gets it all wrong with challenges. NFL all scoring plays automatically reviewed no need to waste a challenge. Why doesn’t the nhl do the same

Reactions: My3Sons

tr83

Nope, still embarassed
Oct 14, 2013
Jersey Shore
The only good thing about this Jet game is Joe and Evan are gonna be a barrel of laughs tomorrow ripping their asses.

Joe and Evan shouldn't even acknowledge them

"They're so bad that we're not wasting our time watching or talking about them this year"

VoidCreature

Before you see the light, you must die.
Mar 6, 2015
New Jersey
Can anyone football savvy explain to me why the Jets are always bad? My best buddy’s been a fan as long as I’ve known him (15+ years) and they’ve pretty much always sucked.

Shouldn’t high draft picks have fixed this by now? Is there bad ownership, or?

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Where do you want to start? Bad ownership sure, at least until now basically every management pick has been as wrong as possible since the days of Rex and Tannenbaum. Idzik was a Sam Hinkle-type GM (i.e. tank city) who was a horeseshit drafter, Maccagnan was also a horseshit drafter and signed off of Todd Bowles as a head coach, then ownership brought in Adam Gase and only fired Maccagnan after letting him spend $100 million in free agency and use a high pick on what so far has been an underwhelming Quinnen Williams.

From a macro perspective, they haven't done enough to address the OL since Mangold and D'Brick retired, they've been absolutely pathetic addressing the skill positions on offense and they've blown a bunch of high picks on D for guys who either can't play (Dee Milliner), are just overrated (Leonard Williams) or are problematic jackwagons (Sheldon Richardson, Mo Wilkerson after getting his money). It doesn't help when one of the best players you've had in the last decade whines his way out of town because of his oversized ego.

Reactions: VoidCreature

Billdo

Oct 28, 2008
Ocean County
w498snqr_400x400.jpg

VoidCreature

Before you see the light, you must die.
Mar 6, 2015
New Jersey
Where do you want to start? Bad ownership sure, at least until now basically every management pick has been as wrong as possible since the days of Rex and Tannenbaum. Idzik was a Sam Hinkle-type GM (i.e. tank city) who was a horeseshit drafter, Maccagnan was also a horseshit drafter and signed off of Todd Bowles as a head coach, then ownership brought in Adam Gase and only fired Maccagnan after letting him spend $100 million in free agency and use a high pick on what so far has been an underwhelming Quinnen Williams.

From a macro perspective, they haven't done enough to address the OL since Mangold and D'Brick retired, they've been absolutely pathetic addressing the skill positions on offense and they've blown a bunch of high picks on D for guys who either can't play (Dee Milliner), are just overrated (Leonard Williams) or are problematic jackwagons (Sheldon Richardson, Mo Wilkerson after getting his money). It doesn't help when one of the best players you've had in the last decade whines his way out of town because of his oversized ego.

Appreciate your response. Sounds like a panoply of problems.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
The Lions really are the NFC version of the Jets, holy hell that ending.

njdevils1982

Hell Toupée!!!
Sep 8, 2006
North of Toronto
Can anyone football savvy explain to me why the Jets are always bad? My best buddy’s been a fan as long as I’ve known him (15+ years) and they’ve pretty much always sucked.

Shouldn’t high draft picks have fixed this by now? Is there bad ownership, or?

its like the blue jackets, coyotes, panthers…it's just the way it is….as sure as the sun rises and sets in the evening these teams are perpetually blegh

Reactions: VoidCreature
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $5,720.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Inter Milan vs Torino