NBA 2020 NBA Playoffs Thread II

jcs0218

Apr 20, 2018
Miami still has a chance to win this series.
I don't like their odds.

Teams down 3-1 in a playoff series have a series win-loss record of 13 wins and 244 losses.

The series probably ends on Friday in Game 5.

Terry Yake

Aug 5, 2013
Miami still has a chance to win this series.
they needed butler to go for 40 AND lebron+AD to have off games to win. and even then, the lakers were in it until the very end

i just don't see the heat winning 3 in a row against this lakers team

CokenoPepsi

Oct 28, 2016
Will they give AD FMVP or will it go to LeBron for narrative?

Seems to me AD is much more important now but LeBron has better stats

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
it means no one wanted to trade for them. they had no value.

Not exactly. Has more to do with their salaries.

Will they give AD FMVP or will it go to LeBron for narrative?

Seems to me AD is much more important now but LeBron has better stats

Would not be shocked if Bron got it for narrative. AD has been on a tear and is one of the most popular players so that certainly helps.

CokenoPepsi

Oct 28, 2016
As much as it pains me to say this...

If Lebron wins tonight, he passes Jordan as GOAT

Lol no don't be silly.

He's great and all but it recently bias...

I don't give too much credit for this title it such a crazy year, now sure if he can win a couple more under regular cirmistances maybe we can talk.

I'm just not impressed by his obvious blatant ring chasing and all the losing he has done in some of the ways he literally got shut down by Jason Terry.

Once again, great probably top 3 now maybe even top 2 I just don't see him being close to Jordan and nothing about this year would change that.

Still a great great player

Reactions: TB12

CokenoPepsi

Oct 28, 2016
AD was better in games 1-2. Lebron was better in games 3-4. Let's see how game 5 goes. I think the FMVP is still up for grabs. It was easily AD after the first two games. Now, it is a toss up, IMO.

Shouldn't that pretty much seal it for AD? He was meh in game 3...and the Lakers lost.

They need him to be great to win

jcs0218

Apr 20, 2018
LeBron is the favourite right now to win Finals MVP.

The odds being offered by many gambling sites show him as the clear favourite, and gambling organizations aren't in the business of losing money.

They aren't going to give Davis underdog odds if he was in the driver's seat, because they would have to pay out a lot of money by doing that.

Terry Yake

Aug 5, 2013
lebron will never pass MJ to me

you could make an argument for him being #2, but even if the lakers win this title i'll still have magic ahead of him

Cubs2024WSChamps

Tate MacRae follows me on Tiktok
Apr 29, 2015
Lol, why?
10 finals in 17 years is no joke.

He's a different breed of athlete.

The only think that will hurt him is longevity and if he falls of completely from what he is today.

As great as Jordan was, Lebron has him beat, imo.

And even if, it's at a point now where if people say "Lebron is the GOAT", you can't really fault somebody for thinking that. Sure, it's debatable, but he has alot going for him to debate it.

Stylizer1

SENSimillanaire
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City
10 finals in 17 years is no joke.

He's a different breed of athlete.

The only think that will hurt him is longevity and if he falls of completely from what he is today.

As great as Jordan was, Lebron has him beat, imo.

And even if, it's at a point now where if people say "Lebron is the GOAT", you can't really fault somebody for thinking that. Sure, it's debatable, but he has alot going for him to debate it.
Very true.

Lebron is a different breed of athlete, He's found the blueprint on how to be relevant every year and win a few championships.

By changing teams every few years takes the spotlight off other players establishing themselves in one market. If he only played on one team there would be dips in his marketability being locked in to one market. By reinventing himself every 4 years he creates the narrative for the media to constantly follow and creates more exposure for his brand. It's really brilliant.

jcs0218

Apr 20, 2018
In my opinion, it is harder to win championships with 3 different organizations (4 championships total) than it is to win 6 championships with 1 organization.

Make no mistake. Winning 6 championships is a very impressive feat. But doing it for 1 organization, rather than multiple organizations, could be a reflection of finding yourself with the right mix of players and right coach. It doesn't require any adaptability or achieving chemistry with a different core. It doesn't require a player to win under different cultures and management structures.

When you win championships with 3 different organizations, that meant you were able to lead 3 different rosters and different cores to a title. That means you were able to win regardless of the coach and supporting cast.

Not saying this necessarily makes LeBron greater than Michael. But just comparing their championships.

FiveTacos

Oct 2, 2017
The Twilight Zone
Make no mistake. Winning 6 championships is a very impressive feat. But doing it for 1 organization, rather than multiple organizations, could be a reflection of finding yourself with the right mix of players and right coach. It doesn't require any adaptability or achieving chemistry with a different core. It doesn't require a player to win under different cultures and management structures.

When you win championships with 3 different organizations, that meant you were able to lead 3 different rosters and different cores to a title. That means you were able to win regardless of the coach and supporting cast.

There's some truth to that. However, one also needs to consider that before free agency opened up it was a lot harder for star players to move around. Which meant that if a guy had a winning situation, it wasn't a given that the superstar switching to another team would 1) be very easy to pull off, or 2) allow for a team to be built around him relatively quickly. Lebron couldn't have team hopped like he did back in the '80s for example, it just wasn't something the cap rules made easy. Most big name movement back then was only via trade. In all likelihood, Lebron would have been stuck in Cleveland until he forced a trade via holdout or something.

Before the 90's, how often did a top 5-10 player even become a free agent? Not often.

When Jerry West started trading for specific contracts and accumulating young assets in the early 90s in anticipation of cap dumping and making a run at Shaq 2-3 years later, that was a big shift in how NBA teams were built. Before then, you never saw teams do anything of the sort. And why would they? Guys like Magic, Bird, MJ ... they never hit the open market anyway under the old rules. "Oh wow we have all this cap space, guess we can sign ... uh ... Tom Chambers."

If the current rules had been in place, then you might have seen some other great players go to other places and build up new winning situations. Perhaps Magic takes a gig on the big stage of NY with Ewing. Maybe Larry goes home to play in Indiana. Perhaps MJ gets away from the two Jerrys before he ever won a single championship with the Bulls (Scottie almost certainly would have left). But those weren't avenues open to them back then.

jcs0218

Apr 20, 2018
Heat on 7-0 run.

LeBron is on the bench, with a worried look on his face.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad