NFL: 2020 Hot Seat Thread

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
McCarthy and Dallas should be 0-4 if Atl knew to jump on an onside kick that was rolling towards 10 yards.

Jets we knew they were bad. Same with Giants. Falcons thought they would be better but keep finding ways to lose. Who eagles, injuries galore. Texans, BOB is not a football czar as he shouldn’t have complete control. Vikings lots of injuries on D. Detroit, still bad.

Marc the Habs Fan

Nov 30, 2002
Longueuil
I seen 6 somewhere else honestly. According to ESPN it's 4 games.

Either way it's pathetic.

Correct, it's 6. They had a 17-7 lead on Thanksgiving vs Chicago and lost. Lost their next 2 games without leading by 10 or more.

They held (and lost) double digit leads in the last 2 games of 2019 and now 3 of the first 4 games of 2020.

Up to 6.

Incredible.

c9777666

Aug 31, 2016
Say what you want about Caldwell, but at least when his teams went up 10, more often than not they could hold onto the lead.

Halladay

Feb 27, 2009
H Town
Im brainstorming about coaching jobs that will be open

Definite:

Houston
Atlanta

Should be:

Detroit
Jets
Minnesota

Maybe:

Los Angeles Chargers

I cant think of any other jobs that might be open right now. Maybe Denver?

Halladay

Feb 27, 2009
H Town
Lynn on hot seat?

It isn't all his fault but team has regressed since that 12-4 season

Im not typing he should be, but it wouldnt surprise me if he is out sooner rather than later. I know it started ling before him, but his teams lose many close games. Some of that has to be coaching. He should definitely get another year as Herbert is only a rookie.

Hasbro

Family Friend
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2004
South Rectangle
I suppose but why these teams still give them jobs is beyond me. And is not on Belichick.
And it gets even worse, because whenever they screw up it gets written off as "Belichik sucked in his first coaching stop too. [Coordinator] will figure it out in his next stop." which is more common than is put forth (Carrol, Kubiak, Reid are all guys who got over the championship hump in their 2nd stop) and hasn't worked for Crennel, Mangini, Weiss or McDaniels on their 2nd stop.

Big Poppa Puck

HF's Villain
Dec 8, 2009
D-Boss' Dungeon
Zimmer and Spielman should be fired tomorrow. back to back chokes vs TEN and Indy then a completely no show at home, against an 0-5 team, who just fired their coach, and missed practices due to COVID. Pathetic.

I know Zimmer just got an extension (which they should have waited on) but Wilf has fired Childress right after an extension and Tice 10 minutes after a game. Spielman needs to go too. Been there since 2007. Full power since like 2011 or 12. Simply can not find quality OL or QB.

Let Kubiak finish the year and look for that hot coordinator (Bring back Bienemy?) in the offseason. Hopefully Kyle Shanahan is stupid enough to trade for Cousins.

Reactions: rubous and OmniCube

MMC

Global Moderator
May 11, 2014
Orange County, CA
:laugh:
Zimmer and Spielman should be fired tomorrow. back to back chokes vs TEN and Indy then a completely no show at home, against an 0-5 team, who just fired their coach, and missed practices due to COVID. Pathetic.

I know Zimmer just got an extension (which they should have waited on) but Wilf has fired Childress right after an extension and Tice 10 minutes after a game. Spielman needs to go too. Been there since 2007. Full power since like 2011 or 12. Simply can not find quality OL or QB.

Let Kubiak finish the year and look for that hot coordinator (Bring back Bienemy?) in the offseason. Hopefully Kyle Shanahan is stupid enough to trade for Cousins.
After the Rams fired Jeff Fisher 8 days after extending him, it’s never too soon

Cleetus

"snot"
Jan 2, 2012
North!

that would be the best thing for the Vikes, I really think it will be next to impossible to unload that contract, he is a Garbage time QB, what a Albatross, Spielman, and Zimmer hopefully get the axe... only thing Im rooting for this year is for Jefferson to keep putting up big numbers, he worked his Butt off today! Zimmer is supposed to be a CB whisperer lol this season proved that was a lie

Big Poppa Puck

HF's Villain
Dec 8, 2009
D-Boss' Dungeon
that would be the best thing for the Vikes, I really think it will be next to impossible to unload that contract, he is a Garbage time QB, what a Albatross, Spielman, and Zimmer hopefully get the axe... only thing Im rooting for this year is for Jefferson to keep putting up big numbers, he worked his Butt off today! Zimmer is supposed to be a CB whisperer lol this season proved that was a lie

Cousins is an average, middle-tier QB, but needs a lot around him. He holds the ball way too long as if he's scared to make a mistake and has absolutely no clutch gene or killer instinct and just folds under pressure.

Why Keenum worked so well in 2017 was 1. that his mobility masked the problems with the OL and 2. He knew he had two stud WRs and a TE with big hamburger helper hands that are like glue and he trusted them to make a play. But you always knew the clock would strike midnight so I didn't blame them for going after Cousins. Bradford was a china doll who with stone feet and you couldn't go in blind with Bridgewater coming off that horrific injury.

With the CBs you knew this was going to be a disaster, why they thought it be a good idea to go with young injury prone Hughes and Hill on top of a bunch of rookies, IDK. Hughes looks mediocre at best and can't stay healthy. I don't know what to think of Gladney yet, but I think Dantzler is going to be a good one. Anthony Harris should be traded at the deadline for a 3rd or 4th or something. It'd be dumb to franchise him again and he's going to get overpaid in FA. Hasn't been as good this year anyway. Funny how Smith is starts to decline a little and now Harris magically looks like Sendejo or Madieu Williams back there.

Reactions: rubous

Cleetus

"snot"
Jan 2, 2012
North!
Cousins is an average, middle-tier QB, but needs a lot around him. He holds the ball way too long as if he's scared to make a mistake and has absolutely no clutch gene or killer instinct and just folds under pressure.

Why Keenum worked so well in 2017 was 1. that his mobility masked the problems with the OL and 2. He knew he had two stud WRs and a TE with big hamburger helper hands that are like glue and he trusted them to make a play. But you always knew the clock would strike midnight so I didn't blame them for going after Cousins. Bradford was a china doll who with stone feet and you couldn't go in blind with Bridgewater coming off that horrific injury.

With the CBs you knew this was going to be a disaster, why they thought it be a good idea to go with young injury prone Hughes and Hill on top of a bunch of rookies, IDK. Hughes looks mediocre at best and can't stay healthy. I don't know what to think of Gladney yet, but I think Dantzler is going to be a good one. Anthony Harris should be traded at the deadline for a 3rd or 4th or something. It'd be dumb to franchise him again and he's going to get overpaid in FA. Hasn't been as good this year anyway. Funny how Smith is starts to decline a little and now Harris magically looks like Sendejo or Madieu Williams back there.
its so hard to see anything positive from the Vikes, I agree to trade Harris, Kirk Cousins is just like you said average... keeps padding his stats in Garbage times so they dont look to bad, that pick in the first play of the game yesterday was hella bad, im hoping Gladney was the right pick, lot of pressure on him for sure, that Cousins extension just really looks bad now... wonder if Zimmer, and Speilman will still have jobs when the season is done? happy to have Jefferson looks like a legit number 1 receiver, and Cook is dominant but the injury bug seems to follow him.

Big Poppa Puck

HF's Villain
Dec 8, 2009
D-Boss' Dungeon
its so hard to see anything positive from the Vikes, I agree to trade Harris, Kirk Cousins is just like you said average... keeps padding his stats in Garbage times so they dont look to bad, that pick in the first play of the game yesterday was hella bad, im hoping Gladney was the right pick, lot of pressure on him for sure, that Cousins extension just really looks bad now... wonder if Zimmer, and Speilman will still have jobs when the season is done? happy to have Jefferson looks like a legit number 1 receiver, and Cook is dominant but the injury bug seems to follow him.

Cousins was only extended when he was because they were in cap hell, IMO. It lowered his number for this year but added two years on his deal instead of it expiring in the offseason. It made sense somewhat, because like it or not Spielman/Zimmer hitched their wagons to him and expected to be there at least another 2-3 years. After how they're playing this year? I'm not sure if they'll still have jobs tomorrow let alone when that deal is up. If they come out after the bye and get boat raced by the Packers again, they might get their pink slips. That's what got Chilly fired in 2010 (along with a number of other things lack of respect from multiple players like Favre, Harvin, etc and the whole Moss fiasco.)

It's really sad that I've basically re-signed myself to saying "Cousins is fine, I've seen worse" because I really have.
-One year Cunningham resurgence, bottom falls out in '99 and Jeff George kinda saves the day,
-A few good years of Culpepper, then his knee explodes.
-years of trash,
-One year of Favre magic (should have never been brought back for 2010),
-more years of trash.
-"Hey this Bridgewater kid might at least be a Top 10-15-type QB!" *almost loses a leg*,
-trades 1st and 3rd for Sammy The Statue/Checkdown/Sleeves.
-"OMG we somehow went 13-3 with Case Keenum, but we all know he's a fluke!"
**ENTER KIRK**

I thought they were a 7 to 9 win team giving the turnover on defense. Cutting Rhodes was the right move, even if he's playing well in Indy, I didn't agree with cutting Joseph at first, but then they got Pierce and he opted out. Stephen should not be starting and Jaleel Johnson sucks. The problem was like I said before, replacing Rhodes, Waynes and Alexander (letting Waynes walk at theatprice was the right move and cap hell cost them Alexander). They could have got Logan Ryan or some vet like that for cheap. You couldn't expect all those rookies to replace them. I mean Hughes was the senior member of the CBs and he was hurt in year 1 and the #4 CB in year 2 (and Jayron Kearse saw the field more than him in Dime). They also have zero pass rush with Hunter out, which doesn't help the secondary. Ngakoue gets doubled on every play because no one else is a threat. That's were you miss Barr too as a rush LB.

Look at their 5 losses:

GB - close for a while and then Rodgers outclassed the young CBs especially with all the time he had in the pocket.
IND - offensive no show. Abused at the LOS on both sides of the ball. Looked a lot like the SF playoff game.
TEN - blown lead in the 4th because the defense couldn't stop anybody.
SEA - blown lead after dominating most of the game. Still had the opportunity to win but Mattison missed the hole and then they let them go 94 yards giving up two 4th and 10s on the final drive including the GW TD.
ATL - another no show on both sides of the ball.

Games like the GB happen, you just played a more talented team. Blowing leads and completely no shows, like the other 4? That's coaching. I was pretty confident they'd come out and win by double digits yesterday. When Cousins' threw the INT on the first play that thought went right out the window.

Zimmer was who I wanted in 2014, and he's done some good, but it's just time to move on, it happens. Spielman's been here way too long too. But at the end of the day it doesn't matter. I've been a fan for 20+ years and the coaches, players and even uniforms have all changed but the franchise itself still doesn't. It's been the same crap whether the coach was Green, Tice, Childress, Frazier or Zimmer. Lots of mediocrity, hot starts and laughable finishes (03, 04 and 16 for example) a few NFC championship losses here and there. And they never bottom out to get that QB. The one time they went 3-13, two other teams were somehow worse and we wound up the sieve Matt Kalil (was great his rookie year, IDK what happened after that).

Reactions: DoyleG and rubous

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad