NFL: 2020 Hot Seat Thread

Cleetus

Brick Woll
Jan 2, 2012
North!
Cousins was only extended when he was because they were in cap hell, IMO. It lowered his number for this year but added two years on his deal instead of it expiring in the offseason. It made sense somewhat, because like it or not Spielman/Zimmer hitched their wagons to him and expected to be there at least another 2-3 years. After how they're playing this year? I'm not sure if they'll still have jobs tomorrow let alone when that deal is up. If they come out after the bye and get boat raced by the Packers again, they might get their pink slips. That's what got Chilly fired in 2010 (along with a number of other things lack of respect from multiple players like Favre, Harvin, etc and the whole Moss fiasco.)

It's really sad that I've basically re-signed myself to saying "Cousins is fine, I've seen worse" because I really have.
-One year Cunningham resurgence, bottom falls out in '99 and Jeff George kinda saves the day,
-A few good years of Culpepper, then his knee explodes.
-years of trash,
-One year of Favre magic (should have never been brought back for 2010),
-more years of trash.
-"Hey this Bridgewater kid might at least be a Top 10-15-type QB!" *almost loses a leg*,
-trades 1st and 3rd for Sammy The Statue/Checkdown/Sleeves.
-"OMG we somehow went 13-3 with Case Keenum, but we all know he's a fluke!"
**ENTER KIRK**

I thought they were a 7 to 9 win team giving the turnover on defense. Cutting Rhodes was the right move, even if he's playing well in Indy, I didn't agree with cutting Joseph at first, but then they got Pierce and he opted out. Stephen should not be starting and Jaleel Johnson sucks. The problem was like I said before, replacing Rhodes, Waynes and Alexander (letting Waynes walk at theatprice was the right move and cap hell cost them Alexander). They could have got Logan Ryan or some vet like that for cheap. You couldn't expect all those rookies to replace them. I mean Hughes was the senior member of the CBs and he was hurt in year 1 and the #4 CB in year 2 (and Jayron Kearse saw the field more than him in Dime). They also have zero pass rush with Hunter out, which doesn't help the secondary. Ngakoue gets doubled on every play because no one else is a threat. That's were you miss Barr too as a rush LB.

Look at their 5 losses:

GB - close for a while and then Rodgers outclassed the young CBs especially with all the time he had in the pocket.
IND - offensive no show. Abused at the LOS on both sides of the ball. Looked a lot like the SF playoff game.
TEN - blown lead in the 4th because the defense couldn't stop anybody.
SEA - blown lead after dominating most of the game. Still had the opportunity to win but Mattison missed the hole and then they let them go 94 yards giving up two 4th and 10s on the final drive including the GW TD.
ATL - another no show on both sides of the ball.

Games like the GB happen, you just played a more talented team. Blowing leads and completely no shows, like the other 4? That's coaching. I was pretty confident they'd come out and win by double digits yesterday. When Cousins' threw the INT on the first play that thought went right out the window.

Zimmer was who I wanted in 2014, and he's done some good, but it's just time to move on, it happens. Spielman's been here way too long too. But at the end of the day it doesn't matter. I've been a fan for 20+ years and the coaches, players and even uniforms have all changed but the franchise itself still doesn't. It's been the same crap whether the coach was Green, Tice, Childress, Frazier or Zimmer. Lots of mediocrity, hot starts and laughable finishes (03, 04 and 16 for example) a few NFC championship losses here and there. And they never bottom out to get that QB. The one time they went 3-13, two other teams were somehow worse and we wound up the sieve Matt Kalil (was great his rookie year, IDK what happened after that).

very well said!, ive been a fan of the vikes since 99, I never watched football before that, started getting into it when I was a freshman in Highschool and tried it for the football team and played DE and fell in love with the sport, and the vikes, it seems every team I cheer for has been a failure lol, leafs fan also, still have not felt the feeling of any of my teams winning anything, I thought the Vikes with Favre were going to win it all before that fell apart, thought after Diggs caught the Minnesota miracle pass it was finally going to happen with Keenum, I knew he was not a very reliable option, but thought this was going to be a miracle till we met the Eagles and got railroaded, even if this team goes 1-15 I will watch every down..., all I read among most Vikes fans now is Tank for Trevor lol, but I think we will still get a few more wins...

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007

Zimmer certainly has his faults and one of my main issues is him not allowing for a more modern offense but I really do believe he's not the problem. At least not the main problem with what's happening with the team right now. I think firing him would be the typical, "this is bad and we don't know what else to do so lets just fire the HC" move.

This should have been a year to retool with all the changes they've had but instead they decided to do both. Retooling with younger players while also going for it by committing to Cousins, signing Pierce, acquiring Ngakoue, etc. Cousins and his contract sticks out like a sore thumb and that's on people above Zimmer. If you believe the reports at the time, it was ownership and Spielman who really pushed for Cousins to begin with. Not having any NFL-caliber guards and that wrecking the offense also isn't on Zimmer.

It may not seem like it with the way they're losing but I think you can already see some of the improvement on defense and that's while missing Hunter, Barr, Pierce, and having no DT. They're 16th in defensive DVOA and I think that'll only get better as the young corners continue to develop. This is a bad team and this season is clearly going to be rough but I believe Zimmer will have them back as a top 10 defense next season if given the chance.

They have to do something at QB though. It can no longer be as simple as just surrounding Cousins with talent because that won't work. He's a QB that needs everything else around him to be perfect in order to succeed. However, you can't make everything else on offense and defense perfect when the QB is making over $30M/yr. They need to draft someone this year and if they miss out because their pick isn't high enough, maybe bring in someone young with potential who needs a better situation. It won't be easy replacing Cousins though.....

What Can the Vikings do With Kirk Cousins | Over the Cap

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
Nagy is embarrassment of a play caller

Bears falling from 5-1 to 5-3 with continued abysmal offense should see him on hot seat

Not to mention his guy (Pagano) took an elite D and turned them into average unit

If Bears miss playoffs after 5-1 start he needs to be fired (I would fire him anyway)

Last edited:

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
Also Ryan Pace is a failure as GM and needs to be fired as well

The Trubisky pick will be among the biggest and most talked about NFL mistakes and the guy has been absolutely awful drafter in 1st round

Also the Mack trade turned out to be mistake

Bears mortgaged the future for him and with no QB the Bears never had chance to be more then a flash in pan success

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Also Ryan Pace is a failure as GM and needs to be fired as well

The Trubisky pick will be among the biggest and most talked about NFL mistakes and the guy has been absolutely awful drafter in 1st round

Also the Mack trade turned out to be mistake

Bears mortgaged the future for him and with no QB the Bears never had chance to be more then a flash in pan success
For all of the multiple first round pick trades in the past couple of seasons, Tunsil, Ramsey, Adams, I think Chicago did very well. Gave up 2 firsts, got back a 2nd and gave up a 3rd and there were late picks involved as well. Plus, DE is a coveted position, which is hard to replace. Mack was 27 at the time of the trade, so he had 4/5 very good years left. But, without solid QB play, they aren't going far as a team as you eventually have to pay the Defense.

The other teams that passed on QBs that draft are looking like they regret it as well. Jets, SF, CAR, Jax, Cle. NYJ/Jax are on pace to secure the top 2 picks in the draft. Cleveland, doubt new regime is sold on Baker, so don't see his 5th year option picked up. CAR, Teddy is a nice fill in QB, but not a guy who can win you games if the rest of the team isn't up to snuff. SF, Jimmy G can't stay healthy and Shanahan doesn't trust him.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Ken Norton Jr, the Seahawks DC should be on the hot seat as well. Been a bad unit most of the season. Getting shredded.

saska sault

Jun 5, 2010
Sault Ste. Marie
What is it going to take for Matt Patricia to be fired.. Two wins somehow clouded the Ford family judgement? The Patriot way isn't happening at Ford Field... Its just the same old Lion crap.

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg
Have to imagine Anthony Lynn is on this list relatively soon.

You can't just blow that many games like the Chargers have and not feel the heat.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
At this point most likely to see teams ride it out. Which assistant or coordinator would a team replace their current HC with? Not bringing in an outsider at this point. Will conduct a full search once the season ends.

chicago, Detroit, Lynn, etc who would take over for them that if they get fired?

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
Bears have never fired a coach in season

If for some reason they suddenly did it would likely be Pagano finishing out year as HC

But it will never happen

member 157595

I think we're late enough in the year where owners may just wait until Black Monday.

BSHH

HSVer & Rotflügel
Apr 12, 2009
Hamburg
What is it going to take for Matt Patricia to be fired.. Two wins somehow clouded the Ford family judgement? The Patriot way isn't happening at Ford Field... Its just the same old Lion crap.
Patricia has to go in Detroit, but so does GM Quinn. This situation obviously paralyzes the Lions, so I do not expect any changes before Black Monday, either. The Lions are on course to pick before #10 once again, so keep on losing might make it easier to attract better front-office personnel next year.

Gruß,
BSHH

TheAngryHank

Expert
May 28, 2008
Jones can't get rid of McCarthy, that would be admitting he was very wrong , He must wait at least another season but probably 2.

EpochLink

Canucks and Jets fan
Aug 1, 2006
Vancouver, BC
Ken Norton Jr, the Seahawks DC should be on the hot seat as well. Been a bad unit most of the season. Getting shredded.

This, he’s a good linebackers coach but him as a defensive coordinator had been awful. When he took the role for the Raiders back in 2015 I thought he would be great but the Raiders were in constant shootouts week after week squeaking wins which was more of a crutch.

His scheme in Seattle is not working, the secondary and their non existent pass rush is terrible. Wilson cannot bail out this team week after week.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
This, he’s a good linebackers coach but him as a defensive coordinator had been awful. When he took the role for the Raiders back in 2015 I thought he would be great but the Raiders were in constant shootouts week after week squeaking wins which was more of a crutch.

His scheme in Seattle is not working, the secondary and their non existent pass rush is terrible. Wilson cannot bail out this team week after week.
Former DC Quinn and potentially Bradley could be looking for work if Lynn gets fired for the Chargers. Who knows if new HC retains him or not.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->