Confirmed Signing with Link: 2020 Free Agency Thread

xECK29x

Sponsor
Jul 19, 2006
Deer Park, NY
At 25 he’s not a prospect:

“Goaltender Francis Marotte signed with the New York Islanders, the 25-year-old announced on his Instagram page Friday night.

Marotte is a former goaltender at Robert Morris University and Clarkson University. During his senior year at Clarkson, Marotte had a .938 save percentage and a 1.78 goals-against average. The 6’1” goalie went 23-8-3 during the 2019-20 season.”

New York Islanders Make Depth Signing, Ink Goaltender Francis Marotte to Deal

caley

Aug 19, 2006
twitter.com

St. Denis was under contract to the NY Islanders last season
Martel was under contract to Florida (After being dealt from Tampa) last season
Brodeur is indeed the son of HOF Devils G Martin Brodeur

caley

Aug 19, 2006
twitter.com

“Goaltender Francis Marotte signed with the New York Islanders, the 25-year-old announced on his Instagram page Friday night.

Marotte is a former goaltender at Robert Morris University and Clarkson University. During his senior year at Clarkson, Marotte had a .938 save percentage and a 1.78 goals-against average. The 6’1” goalie went 23-8-3 during the 2019-20 season.”

Based off this quote "I'm excited to announce I'll be starting my pro career in the Islanders organization", I'd wager this is likely an AHL contract.

Tao Jersey Jones

Sep 28, 2003
Plainfield, NJ
Ryan Fitzgerald is listed on the Krefeld Pinguine (DEL) roster for 20/21.

edit: Brother Casey is also on the roster. He played for Rochester last season but I don't see him here or on Booba's AHL contracts list. I'm wondering if it was just an ATO.

Last edited:

The Jersey Number

number nerd
Jul 15, 2010
Halifax
Ryan Fitzgerald is listed on the Krefeld Pinguine (DEL) roster for 20/21.

edit: Brother Casey is also on the roster. He played for Rochester last season but I don't see him here or on Booba's AHL contracts list. I'm wondering if it was just an ATO.

Ryan Fitzgerald (UFA) is indeed signed in Krefeld; Casey (under contract with Buffalo) had been there on loan – they went together – but has since returned to Sabres' training camp having not appeared in a game in the DEL and would expect him to be assigned to Rochester once the AHL season begins.

cwede

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 1, 2010

Marotte is a first-year pro who played college hockey last season.
How is he not a prospect?

if you see it as, he is a rookie pro, just starting his career, yes you can label him a prospect

but folks who evaluate farm systems and pipelines have some informal guidelines, and this guy, being already 25, falls outside those
these guidelines were created less for cases like his, rather re guys who came over from Euro pro leagues at 25 or older ...

aside from being 25, he is just signed to an AHL deal, he is an extreme long-shot to have much, if any, tenure in NHL
Francis Marotte Hockey Stats and Profile at hockeydb.com

Jersey Fan 12

Positive Vibes
Nov 20, 2006
Fair point. Used to be an issue for us at HockeysFuture, particularly with goalies - who tend to reach the NHL later, ie Jordan Binnington. Had we still been around during the Blues' cup year, he would have no longer been a prospect.

With regards to Marotte, since it was an AHL deal, we would not have considered him a prospect.

Last edited:

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
rip bernmeister

394Qm3p.gif

Reactions: Mrfenn92

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple

Ad

Upcoming events