OT: The Pittsburgher Thread: New Quarter Backs for the Handball team!

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
*shrugs* I'll take that risk over hoping an incredibly run heavy approach can get DL moving with raw prospects.

Particularly since there's more names floating around as ways to solve the WR problem in trade than there are for C.
If they were trading, it would have happened already don’t you think?

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
We have two legit book end T's. I'm very happy right now.

I think they like that McCormick kid as a C prospect, and to be honest, if a DB drops that we can't pass up, I'd draft him in the 3rd round.

Reactions: EVGENIMERLIN

Ulf5

Feb 21, 2017
Oh look - another Nittany Lion taken in the first round. Shocker.

When will a Pitt guy be taken? Guessing never 🤣
Pitt- 10 NFL hall off famers, P(s)U- 6
Pitt- 9 National Championships, P(s)U- 7
Not too bad for the much smaller school, eh?

Ravens are going to land Cooper DeJean and he’s going to be an impact player for them who kills our offensive plays…book it lol
I hate you lol

Reactions: Andy99

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
If they were trading, it would have happened already don’t you think?

Not necessarily. Draft day trades do happen. There are teams that are very obviously in a position where a WR trade could happen - 49ers and Broncos the two I'm thinking of - and it wouldn't surprise anyone if those trades included day 2/3 picks.

The Highsmith restructure felt like they might have suddenly got closer to a trade too.

I wouldn't bet on it but if it happens, we'd all go "aha, the pieces were there all along".

Reactions: Andy99

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
Not much though. Per this, SVP and Frazier are pretty much the only C prospects in the draft who could start quickly with over 1000 snaps at C. Most of those guys are pretty raw, which makes them starting swiftly that much more of a projection.

I really am less concerned with whether they can start day one as I am with how they project over the next decade.

By all means, take a top center if there. But if the value is at WR, DB or elsewhere go there.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Incidentally, for all I get why teams swing big at QBs, hoo boy would I be worried if I were a fan of any of the six teams who've taken guys. There's a bunch of hype but I think there's a bunch of worrying stuff too. Williams/Daniels/Maye all take sacks at high rates - extremely high in the case of Daniels. Maye is sloppy. Williams wants to redefine how to be a franchise leader. There's real echoes of that '21 class to me, where everyone was going "wow" and the next thing you know it looks like MC Escher's Car Crash In Hell.

It's also why part of me is a little blase about Penix/Nix. They've got flaws, but they don't get themselves into trouble on a football field at nearly the same rate.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
I really am less concerned with whether they can start day one as I am with how they project over the next decade.

By all means, take a top center if there. But if the value is at WR, DB or elsewhere go there.

Tbf, being slightly devil's advocate, if we're considering how they project over the next decade, then the Steelers pretty much never keep WRs that long and having Porter means it's mirky whether they'd extend another high end CB. The Steelers' position and ethos puts a dampener on long term value for both.

Centers are cheap to keep though. Age better too as a rule.

Should also be noted that should JPJ or Frazier fall into the Steelers' pick, then by most rankings, they'd be excellent value.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Also @Empoleon8771 where did you get the stuff on him being a so-so run blocker cos saw this in The Athletic article

'An outstanding run blocker with top-end athleticism and the right attitude"

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
Tbf, being slightly devil's advocate, if we're considering how they project over the next decade, then the Steelers pretty much never keep WRs that long and having Porter means it's mirky whether they'd extend another high end CB. The Steelers' position and ethos puts a dampener on long term value for both.

Centers are cheap to keep though. Age better too as a rule.

Should also be noted that should JPJ or Frazier fall into the Steelers' pick, then by most rankings, they'd be excellent value.
I would love either of those two. If a value trade is available, and the price was right, I would even move up for one of them.

Pens1566

Aug 2, 2005
WV
I think Fautanu was almost a no-brainer pick considering the value and no one expected him to last that long.

And just as predicted, the centers largely slid as well. There's at least 3-4 guys that could be immediate starters still there.

Unrelated, but I'm kinda sorta interested in where Keon Coleman goes TBH.

Reactions: JTG

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
I’m even more convinced that Frazier will be there at 51.

As I showed in my analysis from a few days ago. Teams just don’t take Centers early.

I didn’t see your post, but last month I broke down the last decade and the value of centers with a 1 was extremely low.

Round 2 seems to be where you find the most value for Cs, and this draft seems to be flowing that way as well.

Teams just don’t value the position, even though as we saw with Cole, a bad C can wreck havoc on your entire line.

Basically, Steelers need to find a C with their next pick I hope.

Anyway, for those that like Kiper, he loves Steelers pick and put them as one of his winners for the first round:

The pick: G Troy Fautanu (No. 20)

What a steal by Pittsburgh. I wrote Thursday morning that I thought the Steelers were targeting Graham Barton to be their new center, but I didn't think Fautanu would be available. This is a no-brainer. I had Fautanu at No. 10 and Barton at No. 19 in my rankings, and both were the top players at their position.

Fautanu played left tackle in college, and I wouldn't be shocked if the Steelers thought he could stick there and compete with Dan Moore Jr. in 2024 while they find their center somewhere else.

Last edited:

Pengwins

Jun 13, 2017
Not interested in picking a center until round 3 at the earliest…they desperately need a WR who can start day one…hopefully they use a third round pick and move up in the second
Gotta take JPJ if he’s there with their next pick

Reactions: Jaded-Fan

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
The thing with Fautanu is that he is a top 10 talent, IMO, with very easily correctible deficiencies. We just landed another David DeCastro/Maurkice Pouncey situation. He will start immediately. Now the question is, he very well may be a better LT than Jones. Either one of these guys on the right side is going to be bountiful. This running game could be really, really special with what we have going on here.

That brings a tear to a Yinzer eye.

Reactions: Jaded-Fan

Goalie_Bob

1992 Vezina (2nd)
Dec 30, 2005
Pittsburgh
Teams just don’t value the position, even though as we saw with Cole, a bad C can wreck havoc on your entire line.

Basically, Steelers need to find a C with their next pick I hope.

I don't think they think that way. My thought is they still go WR in the 2nd and wait til the 3rd to see who is there at the C position. In my final mock yesterday, I picked Mims in the 1st, aka OT, and then I had them picking Pearsall, aka WR, in the 2nd.

Pre-Draft final mock:
1: Amarius Mims, OT
2: Ricky Pearsall, WR
3: Max Melton, CB
3: Hunter Nourzad, C
4: Luke McCaffrey, WR
6: Jaden Crumedy, DL
6: Steele Chambers, ILB

UDFA: Travis Clayton, Beanie Bishop

My updated mock after the first round is:
2: Roman Wilson, WR
3: Max Melton, CB
3: Hunter Nourzad, C
4: Luke McCaffrey, WR
6: Jaden Crumedy, DL
6: Steele Chambers, ILB

I think we could maybe flip Nourzad and McCaffrey. And if Jalen McMillan somehow makes it down to 98, they take him instead. Either way, I think they go WR then CB with the next two picks. I think they wait til 84 to discuss the Center position.

Reactions: WickedWrister

xlm34

Dec 1, 2008
How many center needy teams are ahead of the Steelers right now? Panthers seem like a decent bet to snag a center and the Chargers need one but they absolutely have to do something at WR. Anyone else?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad