GDT: 2020 Free Agency Part II: Embrace the Grind

Status
Not open for further replies.

tshack

Apr 27, 2014
Chara literally cannot skate anymore.

He would be sooooooo bad here in Colorado. I dont think a worse possible fit exists.

Girard should play the PK. He would do quite well I think.

Nah, we could put him with Cole and all would be good.

Emell

Oct 11, 2015
Chara could certainly keep up since he still played 21 mins per game with the Bruins. It's not like that team doesn't have any transition game or that NHL systems are so vastly different than one another.
What on earth makes you think 21 minutes a game would mean "keeping up"? It's a pace and quickness system.

At this point you sound like you're just throwing out random stuff and acting like it makes sense only to move onto the next one when called on it

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007

Colorado Avalanche

Wins Added: 2.2 wins

Salary Added: -$900,000

In: Brandon Saad, Devon Toews

Out: Nikita Zadorov, Vladislav Namestnikov, Matt Nieto, Colin Wilson

It’s impossible not to love what the Avalanche did this offseason, adding more value to an already stacked roster (though the $900,000 saved will change once RFA Devon Toews signs so keep that in mind). Brandon Saad isn’t what he used to be, but that could change on a talented Avalanche team where he can flex his former play-driving gifts. He solidifies the team’s forward depth in a big way, adding to the improvements made last offseason.

It’s likely that more people will recognize Saad’s name, but Toews is arguably the bigger get and is projected to be worth 1.5 wins next season. That’s 33rd among defenders and ranks second on the Avalanche after Cale Makar. He’s really good and fits perfectly into the team’s scheme as an excellent puck-mover. He’ll get the puck up to the team’s talented forwards more than most, potentially giving the team a strong puck-mover on all three pairs. That’s scary to think about and gives Colorado one of the league’s deepest blue lines.

From the Islanders side:

Losing Devon Toews? That one really hurts as he’s arguably the team’s best puck-mover from the back end. He’s been extremely effective in second pairing minutes over the last couple seasons, driving play at both ends of the ice thanks to his strong puck skills. My model was a big fan, putting his value at 1.5 wins. That’s value the Islanders will struggle to replace internally.

Hawks:

With that being said, it’s difficult to understand the Brandon Saad trade. He’s still a capable middle-six forward worth one win of value. To get a replaceable defender back while retaining some of Saad’s salary seems nonsensical. If the goal was to rebuild, giving away a prime potential deadline asset for scraps feels like a waste.

Yet another article telling us what we already know, which is that Sakic killed it, but it's still great to read!

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
Chara is more well-done than Trump's steaks. He can't pin anybody to the boards if he can't skate fast enough to catch them. Remember Iginla in his last season? That, but on defense and slower.

Amazing, legendary career, but he's cooked now.

Richard Doll

Feb 18, 2020
Saint Albans, Vermont
That's rich coming from the guy who advocated signing Hall, Petro, Dadanov, and Vatanen
Say what? WTH are you talking about lol?

Are you saying I tried saying we should get all of these guys or something?

I never once advocated getting Petro, certainly not more than a year or 2.

I mentioned Dadanov for a 1-2 year deal, we went Saad instead with his 1 year left, kind of a same same to me.

I would have liked Hall, but then not in a combo with any of the others, and not more than 1-2 years.

I was also fine with Vantanen, we went Toews, similar to me.

Only thing I have ever really advocated doing was getting a player for the top 6 to push Donskoi and Nuke to the third line, and get a top 4 defenseman, and make it so that Kaut, Newhook, Timmins and Byram had paths to the roster.

So i honestly have no idea what the heck you are talking about lol.

Gatorbait19

Apr 2, 2019
Chara could certainly keep up since he still played 21 mins per game with the Bruins. It's not like that team doesn't have any transition game or that NHL systems are so vastly different than one another.
2nd on the team in minutes, 1st in PK minutes, 1st on the team in plus/minus....on the president trophy winner. Was also 19th in Norris voting - not that I put much stock in writers' votes, but still impressive at 42 and having half the amount of point of anyone in the top 25.

Again, his speed (or lack thereof) makes it an imperfect fit at least on the surface. But he's still one of the best in areas we're deficient in.

If we can shelter Tyson Barrie offensively, we can shelter Chara defensively en route to a cup.

Reactions: sethro109

GirardSpinorama

Aug 20, 2004
What on earth makes you think 21 minutes a game would mean "keeping up"? It's a pace and quickness system.

At this point you sound like you're just throwing out random stuff and acting like it makes sense only to move onto the next one when called on it

If he was that much of a liability he wouldn't be able to handle that type of minutes where at least some of the shifts will require him to contribute in the offensive zone. Do you understand?

Reactions: Gatorbait19

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
If he was that much of a liability he wouldn't be able to handle that type of minutes where at least some of the shifts will require him to contribute in the offensive zone. Do you understand?
The Bruins play a very different system from the Avs. The Avs are ALL about speed and attacking through the neutral zone off the rush. Chara would always be late getting to the play. If you want to cycle for a while and park him at the point, you'll be fine, but that isn't what the Avs do.

Emell

Oct 11, 2015
Yeah and it’s a meaningless sentiment when applied to the conversation as a whole...

Goodness it’s like you don’t listen to a word said to you and just grasp literally onto whatever seems to fit in the moment

I give up. You guys can’t even keep your logic consistent, so clearly you already decided on a conclusion and worked off that instead of the other way around

GirardSpinorama

Aug 20, 2004
The Bruins play a very different system from the Avs. The Avs are ALL about speed and attacking through the neutral zone off the rush. Chara would always be late getting to the play. If you want to cycle for a while and park him at the point, you'll be fine, but that isn't what the Avs do.

Right and we cycle a significant amount of time in a game. We don't rush on every single possession.

GirardSpinorama

Aug 20, 2004
Yeah and it’s a meaningless sentiment when applied to the conversation as a whole...

Goodness it’s like you don’t listen to a word said to you and just grasp literally onto whatever seems to fit in the moment

I give up. You guys can’t even keep your logic consistent, so clearly you already decided on a conclusion and worked off that instead of the other way around

Your logic shows a very shallow understanding of the game. Avs fast Chara slow; therefore Chara would be useless.

Reactions: Gatorbait19

Emell

Oct 11, 2015
Your logic shows a very shallow understanding of the game. Avs fast Chara slow; therefore Chara would be useless.
An excellent demonstration that you’ve not read my posts

We done with us talking in circles because you don’t want to listen to anything not fitting your desired conclusion?

It’s quite tiring talking to a wall

PAZ

Jul 14, 2011
BC
Did a very quick mock-up of how the Seattle expansion draft would go if it happened today. This isn't even 10% right IMO, but what was highlighted doing the mock was how many young defensemen will potentially be exposed, especially on the LHD. I think Compher will be more likely to go over Graves. I can also see them setting themselves up to be a major player in free agency by drafting a bunch of young players, as those players will have the most value to trade in the flat cap world. There really isn't that much prime talent being exposed, so this would probably be their best route as even if they miss out during free agency, they'll have a lot of room to make moves and worst case, tank the season.

upload_2020-10-21_20-1-50.png

Last edited:

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
I wouldn't grade the Toews trade until we see the extension. Worst case scenario is that he walks in a year.

Worst case scenario is he signs the Gostisbehere contract and then turns into Gostisbehere 2.0.

Philly still havent managed to dump his ass anywhere BTW, he's been on the trade block for like 3 years.

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
I hope Colin Wilson finds a job :puppy:
Even before all this, Wilson was going to need a PTO, and somebody would get him dirt cheap for a year. I still think he wins a job in camp somewhere, he's a solid bottom sixer.

HugeMetalFan

Jul 30, 2015
Did a very quick mock-up of how the Seattle expansion draft would go if it happened today. This isn't even 10% right IMO, but what was highlighted doing the mock was how many young defensemen will potentially be exposed, especially on the LHD. I think Compher will be more likely to go over Graves. I can also see them setting themselves up to be a major player in free agency by drafting a bunch of young players, as those players will have the most value to trade in the flat cap world. There really isn't that much prime talent being exposed, so this would probably be their best route as even if they miss out during free agency, they'll have a lot of room to make moves and worst case, tank the season.

View attachment 373831
I personally think that even though teams claim they will not make the same trades with Seattle as they did with Vegas, they might be forced to due to flat cap. We don't see much movement this year and next year might be even worse. I'm sure Seattle will try to take advantage of that. So maybe they can get some "higher" talent players than we expect.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad