GDT: 2020 Free Agency Part II: Embrace the Grind

Status
Not open for further replies.

Emell

Oct 11, 2015
It's certainly easier said than done, and sometimes he could get caught trying to get off the ice. But I don't see any difference between that and PKers normally coming off the ice (especially when they're tired at the end of their shift).

Fact of the matter is that I'd rather have Chara instead of the likes of Gilbert, Connauton, Barby etc. There's even a good case to be made that he's a better option than Cole.

It's a such a low risk high reward move. If after 10 games you realize it's such a hindrance to have him playing the 6th Dman, then you part ways. Simple as that.
You do realize the Avs are massively an “off the rush” chances team yeah?

You’re suggesting getting a defenseman that would handcuff the team in transition by turning from a 5v5 to a 4v5. The Avs play a 5 man game in each zone.

The idea that you could just have him play PKs and defensive zone starts is silly as a premise. It reminds me more of a video game move than an actual, practical one.

GirardSpinorama

Aug 20, 2004

You’re suggesting getting a defenseman that would handcuff the team in transition by turning from a 5v5 to a 4v5. The Avs play a 5 man game in each zone.

The idea that you could just have him play PKs and defensive zone starts is silly as a premise. It reminds me more of a video game move than an actual, practical one.

That's extreme. We don't transition all 5 players on every shift during every situation. We don't pinch our dmen on every shift when we have a lead. Our style change depending on game situation just like every team does. Our base style doesn't suit Chara but it doesn't mean he can't be utilized.

Reactions: Gatorbait19

Gatorbait19

Apr 2, 2019

And you do realize that there's more to a transition game than just skating up the ice, such as outlet passes right?

Connauton, lindholm, Barby - none of them are great (or even good) skaters and rarely brought the puck up ice.

Chara isn't what he used to be but he plays a role and would take our middle of the pack PK to a top 5-10 one. That Same PK is also bottom of the pack when EJ is hurt.

The vast improvement to the PK would far outweigh the few instances a game where we'd have to worry about his skating.

TruePowerSlave

Jun 27, 2015

Sakic is god

I wouldn't grade the Toews trade until we see the extension. Worst case scenario is that he walks in a year.

The Saad trade was solid. I guess you could argue that 5M could have been spent better in this market and that Saad is probably is gone after the year. However, we gave up a 3rd pairing guy for a top 6 forward.

Emell

Oct 11, 2015
That's extreme. We don't transition all 5 players on every shift during every situation. We don't pinch our dmen on every shift when we have a lead. Our style change depending on game situation just like every team does. Our base style doesn't suit Chara but it doesn't mean he can't be utilized.
Not every shift but we don’t handcuff the players on the ice by not even making the option and removing the threat

It’s silly. You build a team to play a system. You don’t throw every name with pedigree at a wall and hope you can make it work.

One of the best things the Avs have going for them is everyone buying into and playing the system game. Sakic clearly gets it and they’ve been much more successful because they know how to build a team.

Reactions: McMetal

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
How are the nucks and their cap situation now? Don't they have some monster contracts to deal with soon?
It will be pretty tough to navigate coming up. Petterson, Demko, and Hughes have to be signed next offseason. Than Boeser expires the season after that and then Horvat the season after that. Ericksson comes off the books in 2 years which is good, but it could get pretty tight coming up for Vancouver.

Reactions: The Kingslayer

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
It will be pretty tough to navigate coming up. Petterson, Demko, and Hughes have to be signed next offseason. Than Boeser expires the season after that and then Horvat the season after that. Ericksson comes off the books in 2 years which is good, but it could get pretty tight coming up for Vancouver.

As long as Benning can't help himself, they are never completely out of the woods... but saying that Edler, Sutter, Pearson, Baertschi, and Benn come off the books this season. Maybe Pearson gets a new deal as he fits there pretty well, but the Nucks have a treasure trove of wings in their system. Edler might go year to year there, but they could finally move on like they have wanted to for years. Assuming all 5 come off, that's 19.5m off the cap. That is before they secure Holtby to Seattle for another 4.3 off. Then followed by Eriksson, Roussel, and Beagle the following year opening up another 12m.

They have work to do, but it isn't nearly as dire as people around here think it is. They have ~18-20m going to Pettersson and Hughes next year. Then probably 3.5-4 to Demko. Then they have a ~2m increase going to Boeser the following season. That is all manageable with their system and currently constructed team. Now the Horvat/Miller 2023 offseason is where things could get ugly for them. Cap should be returning and Horvat should legitimately be a 8+m guy on the open market by then. If last year wasn't a fluke for Miller (and I think to an extent it was... he's more of a 55 point guy to me), he's around that area too.

Reactions: The Abusement Park

sethro109

🏒 🎮🏈🇺🇸🍻
Sponsor
May 3, 2011
Centennial, CO
I still don't see who's gonna kill penalties outside of EJ, Cole and Graves. Two of which are terrible to mediocre at it and the other has been injured our last 3 playoff outings. Chara fixes that problem while also bringing some size and physicality. Our system isn't going to be destroyed by one slow skater who's always gonna be the last guy back and passing the puck out anyway. I'd love to see Benn be man handled by Chara in front of the net during next year's playoffs. Out PK was atrocious during the Dallas series and the problem wasn't just goaltending. Too many guys in front of the net were able to deflect point shots and the cross ice passes through the slot came far too easy.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
I think they'll put Toews or Makar on the PK before Girard. Timmins would be in consideration too if he makes the team.

Defenseman find themselves in situations where they have to tie up the mans stick or contain them physically in front of the net somehow way too often on the PK. Sometimes having to deal with two guys in front of the net.

For all of G's smarts and good use of his stick, his net front coverage is the biggest liability in his game because he's going to lose most pure strength battles, and that's what you end up in when you're defending the front of the net for rebounds. It's easier to get good body positioning and box him out too, because his reach is limited.

Reactions: The Kingslayer

GirardSpinorama

Aug 20, 2004
Not every shift but we don’t handcuff the players on the ice by not even making the option and removing the threat

It’s silly. You build a team to play a system. You don’t throw every name with pedigree at a wall and hope you can make it work.

One of the best things the Avs have going for them is everyone buying into and playing the system game. Sakic clearly gets it and they’ve been much more successful because they know how to build a team.

You build a team with a players of varying strength and weaknesses. Obviously you want the majority of your KEY players to play the style that matches your strategy (i.e. Makar and Mack). But one defensive dman does NOT make or break the transition play of his linemates or an entire team. Especially if he gets paired with one of our many transition dman.

Emell

Oct 11, 2015
You build a team with a players of varying strength and weaknesses. Obviously you want the majority of your KEY players to play the style that matches your strategy (i.e. Makar and Mack). But one defensive dman does NOT make or break the transition play of his linemates or an entire team. Especially if he gets paired with one of our many transition dman.
One defensive dman still has to be able to keep up. Being able to play in the system is a prerequisite. Strengths and weaknesses come after that

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia
I wouldn't grade the Toews trade until we see the extension. Worst case scenario is that he walks in a year.

The Saad trade was solid. I guess you could argue that 5M could have been spent better in this market and that Saad is probably is gone after the year. However, we gave up a 3rd pairing guy for a top 6 forward.
If Toews walks in a year than Lou wins kinda. I guess it depends on who they draft. I have a hard time believing Joe would make this deal without knowing what Toews wants.

Reactions: Richard88

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia
I think they'll put Toews or Makar on the PK before Girard. Timmins would be in consideration too if he makes the team.

Defenseman find themselves in situations where they have to tie up the mans stick or contain them physically in front of the net somehow way too often on the PK. Sometimes having to deal with two guys in front of the net.

For all of G's smarts and good use of his stick, his net front coverage is the biggest liability in his game because he's going to lose most pure strength battles, and that's what you end up in when you're defending the front of the net for rebounds. It's easier to get good body positioning and box him out too, because his reach is limited.
I hope Byram can kill penalties.

Reactions: Foppa2118

GirardSpinorama

Aug 20, 2004
One defensive dman still has to be able to keep up. Being able to play in the system is a prerequisite. Strengths and weaknesses come after that

Chara could certainly keep up since he still played 21 mins per game with the Bruins. It's not like that team doesn't have any transition game or that NHL systems are so vastly different than one another.

Avsboy

Dec 12, 2006
If Toews walks in a year than Lou wins kinda. I guess it depends on who they draft. I have a hard time believing Joe would make this deal without knowing what Toews wants.

Sakic may have had a ballpark amount but it doesn't look like he knew exactly what Toews would sign for. It wouldn't take this long.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad