GDT: 2020 Free Agency Part II: Embrace the Grind

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bill Peckerskull

Fargin' Icehole
Feb 19, 2003
Castle Rock, CO
I don't think anyone knows what's going on here, as there are conflicting reports.

Friedman says it's just like Johnny Boychuk's situation, and Steen's $ will count against the Cap.

CapFriendly says it won't, but also points out the BLose have just 21 players signed and still have Vince Dunn they need to resign, plus they are over the cap by $1.175M right now.

Strickland, who probably would know best, says he's retiring and going on LTIR, which I didn’t know you could do, and multiple UFA forwards are in play for them.

Pagnotta says he's not retiring, but going on LTIR all season.

So who knows who is right.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
I don't think anyone knows what's going on here, as there are conflicting reports.

Friedman says it's just like Johnny Boychuk's situation, and Steen's $ will count against the Cap.

CapFriendly says it won't, but also points out the BLose have just 21 players signed and still have Vince Dunn they need to resign, plus they are over the cap by $1.175M right now.

Strickland, who probably would know best, says he's retiring and going on LTIR, which I didn’t know you could do, and multiple UFA forwards are in play for them.

Pagnotta says he's not retiring, but going on LTIR all season.

So who knows who is right.

They are all kinda saying the same thing. Freidman is right that if goes on LTIR, it counts against the cap (and player's share of HRR), but LTIR rules apply allowing the Blues to exceed the cap. CF says if he files with the NHLPA, the cap hit disappears, but if he goes LTIR the Blues can exceed. Strickland and Pagnotta are saying the same thing. Functionally he is retired, but if he waits to file the paperwork with the NHLPA until next summer he goes on LTIR for the season. He isn't technically retired, by NHLPA standards, but is functionally retired. Similar to Zetterburg.

SaltySkywalker

Bushes of Love
Jul 15, 2016
Tatooine
When is Mack getting the C though?

giphy.gif

GTFO of here!!

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Kind of a kick in the nuts for the Blues. If he had done this at the end of the season they could have signed Pietrangelo. I wonder if they can use that money right away before the season starts to nab someone like Hoffman.

Not really--pretty sure they knew this was going to happen or were at the very least really hopeful it was. Steen's been dunzo for a while now. And cap room wasn't the issue, St. Louis just wasn't going to meet Pietrangelo's demands, so they went out and signed Krug. This had nothing to do with it.

They still have to sign Vince Dunn, so that should take care of most of the cap overage that Steen's contract would allow. As for signing another player, it probably depends on whether or not Tarasenko is due back at all this upcoming season. If not, then they can use that LTIR room as well ($7 million!).

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Lol 6 teams in 7 seasons

He picked the worst possible time to try and go it alone without an agent.

Just speculation, but it feels like there's more to it than that.

There were questions about his attitude in junior when he was suspended by Quebec (with Adam Erne), where Roy said he was supporting the decision of seven of the teams leaders after a meeting.

Roy also obviously didn't get the Avs to draft Duclaire. They took Bigras in the 2nd and Spencer Martin in the 3rd instead of him.

This is a translated version of what Martin Lefebvre, their team captain said regarding the suspension.

"We want everyone to play for the logo of the Remparts, he said. We will not accept people who think about their little person first. It is a message we want to send them. The problem is not new, but this is where we are now. It takes 20 players that push in the same direction. "

Duclair et Erne en pénitence

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Looking into the taxi squad details, and maybe this has already been discussed and I missed it, but it looks like you're required to carry at least four players on the taxi squad (max of 6) and one of them has to be a goaltender.

So that means Sakic has to sign another goaltender if the AHL is up and running. Or can they use the emergency goaltender here?

They only have Annunen, Werner, and Miska under contract. Annunen is in Europe, and they'll need two goalies in the AHL.

Also, it looks like players may have to pass through waivers when coming on and off the taxi squad. So in addition to the youngsters, guys like LOC, Dickinson, and Gilbert have a leg up here because they're still waivers exempt.

Guys like Dries, Tynan, MacDonald, and Burroughs are not exempt from waivers.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
They’ll just waive those guys once and get the 10 games cushion. But yes in theory moving waiver exempt players should make life a lot easier.

Eagles do have a AHL contracted goalie if worse comes to worse but Avs should try to sign someone. Or poach from waivers if they are willing to carry the guy on the 23 man roster.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad