OT: 2020 Football Thread: We All Suck

Status
Not open for further replies.

sbjnyc

Jun 28, 2011
New York
You guys make some good points obviously. The thing that sucks the most and the underlying reason for the frustration I'm feeling right now besides the fact my Dad took me to Shea Stadium in the early 70's forcing me begin this Jet fandom of mine, is that Darnold cannot stay on the damn football field and show what he's got.

I so so wanted him to have those final 10 games of the year after he came back from his shoulder injury that occurred in the Denver game, when he would have Crowder,Mims and Perriman at his disposal not to mention Becton back to help the O-line too see what he could do with a full compliment of weaponry and if he could show that those glimpses of greatness he had shown the first two years could be sustainable.

We are not going to truly ever see it as I'm convinced now that Darnold's time as a Jet no matter what our record ends up being is pretty much over. I know I was one of the last holdouts in here and still maintained that if he could be given some time in the pocket and some weapons to throw too, he would show that he really was our franchise QB and we could trade our likely 1st overall pick in the draft for the mother load.

Well if you can't stay on the f'n field, you aint going to be showing anybody anything other than that your injury prone albeit snake bit, unreliable and cannot be counted on.

We might have seen the last of Sam which saddens me and so there really shouldn't be a problem seeing if Morgan can play at this level.
I heard some 60+ year old on the radio make the compelling case for Namath being the worst draft pick in Jets history because he turned the guy into a life long jets fan.

Maximus

Dec 23, 2003
Doylestown, PA
I heard some 60+ year old on the radio make the compelling case for Namath being the worst draft pick in Jets history because he turned the guy into a life long jets fan.

It really could be true...lol. It worked on my Dad who was a lifelong Giant fan till the Jets drafted Namath. He became enamored with him and it became easy for him to switch allegiances seeing he was a Brooklyn Dodger/NY Met fan. So there was symmetry with the Jet/Met relationship both being at Shea and so voila he became a Jet fan in 1965.

He transferred that over to me and my youngest brother as he took us to 3-4 Jet games a year from 1971 thru '75. How could you not be a Jet fan when you had Namath, Riggins who was my favorite Jet of all too this day to root for, Richard Caster...etc...right?

So yeah...that's a pretty funny comment by that 60+ old caller but he speaks truth.

SA16

Sixstring
Aug 25, 2006
Long Island
:rolleyes:

I don't know why you keep saying Perine is irrelevant. We just used a not-worthless draft choice on him and he's here now. Can we find any upgrade or an equal? Sure, but that's not what we're talking about. We're talking about maximizing the development of a guy on our roster who will be here next year, as opposed to playing Frank Gore while his bones slowly grind into dust.

I don't know who Connor Hughes is.

I don't think we should play Morgan.

Apparently there's nothing else to add here.

Hughes is the Jets writer for the Athletic who whines anytime Gore gets a carry even if he is off to a good start in the game.

Perine is irrelevant because he's just like every RB. He will not have a long term future in the league like the vast majority of them. He's shown nothing in his time so far. RB also isn't a position you generally "develop" in (other than pass blocking). Generally they start off the best they ever are and just get worse as they get older. These guys almost always turn into nothing. In the last 20 years the Jets have drafted 12 RBs. Shonn Greene is the only one who ever had a season for them as a starter. LaMont Jordan is the only one who ever had a season for another team as a starter. Let's not act like Gore is a Jets thing either. Buffalo and Miami did the same thing with him the last two years and they also had young backs on the team (Devin Singletary, Kenyan Drake, Kalen Bellage). If Darnold/Morgan were playing it would make even more sense to play Gore over Perine as it is because you'd want the extra protection for the QB.

Last edited:

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Hughes is the Jets writer for the Athletic who whines anytime Gore gets a carry even if he is off to a good start in the game.

Perine is irrelevant because he's just like every RB. He will not have a long term future in the league like the vast majority of them. He's shown nothing in his time so far. RB also isn't a position you generally "develop" in (other than pass blocking). Generally they start off the best they ever are and just get worse as they get older. These guys almost always turn into nothing. In the last 20 years the Jets have drafted 12 RBs. Shonn Greene is the only one who ever had a season for them as a starter. LaMont Jordan is the only one who ever had a season for another team as a starter. Let's not act like Gore is a Jets thing either. Buffalo and Miami did the same thing with him the last two years and they also had young backs on the team (Devin Singletary, Kenyan Drake, Kalen Bellage). If Darnold/Morgan were playing it would make even more sense to play Gore over Perine as it is because you'd want the extra protection for the QB.
OK, well, you want to have a larger conversation about the role of the RB in the modern NFL, that's fine. I'm inclined to agree it's an overvalued position, though I think that's shifting a bit.

Regardless, Perine is a rookie, who will be here for another few years, and will contribute to some degree. Therefore, he is relevant.

Gore did stupidly play in front of vastly superior RB's in Drake and Ballenge two years ago. That was also our dumbass coach.

Buffalo brought him in as a backup. Weeks 5-12, he averaged 8 carries and less than 1 target per game to Singletary's 16 carries and 3.5 targets. Singletary was banged up and missed action to start the year. Once he was healthy, he was "the guy" for them. Gore was the clear backup. The Jets use Gore like the starter and Perine as the backup.

I don't even care if it's Perine. I'd rather go looking for other young guys around the league than trot out Gore every week. The offensive line has been so terrible, a RB who is poor in pass protection or still learning and making mistakes is hardly a blip on the radar.

romba

Aug 2, 2005
New Jersey
Even when the opposing defense is disciplined due to respecting the read option, it definitely slows them down a drop and they can’t be so aggressive. Nice to have that threat as a Giants fan, to open things up for big plays.

Last edited:

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Will miss you Pierre Desir, a key ring of honor tank member.
I liked the signing. It was in line with many of the other moves--short deal for a guy who showed talent and skill within the past couple years, but also had some down moments. Hoping they'd rebound.

It's not a bad strategy if you have competent coaches.

17futurecap

Oct 8, 2008
NJ
I liked the signing. It was in line with many of the other moves--short deal for a guy who showed talent and skill within the past couple years, but also had some down moments. Hoping they'd rebound.

It's not a bad strategy if you have competent coaches.

Yea, was a fine one year deal, he actively quit in the Pats game though.

It’s just honestly amazing how bad his free agency signings were.

I wasn’t happy with the crap he signed at offensive line to begin with, outside of McGovern, who has also been bad.

Beer League Sniper

Homeless Man's Rick Nash
Apr 27, 2010
City in a Forest
Even when the opposing defense is disciplined due to respecting the read option, it definitely slows them down a drop and they can’t be so aggressive. Nice to have that threat as a Giants fan, to open things up for big plays.
Need to be sparing about using the read option. All it takes is the end crashing on Jones a few times and he's going to be in a world of pain. Read option thrives on the indecision of the edge defender. All it takes is a D coordinator willing to give up a couple big plays to the RB in order to send a message to the QB. It's not something that's a winning strategy long-term.

Reactions: romba

romba

Aug 2, 2005
New Jersey
Need to be sparing about using the read option. All it takes is the end crashing on Jones a few times and he's going to be in a world of pain. Read option thrives on the indecision of the edge defender. All it takes is a D coordinator willing to give up a couple big plays to the RB in order to send a message to the QB. It's not something that's a winning strategy long-term.
I was going to ask what the fatal flaw is because it’s too good to not have one, thanks solid point.

Reactions: Beer League Sniper

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
The Giants fired Marc Colombo. So strange with how the line has been playing the last 3 weeks. I wonder if there was some culture/personality clash.

ponzu4u

Feb 27, 2013
Dang... I was a big fan of the Colombo hiring, and thought the line had been playing better and better the last few weeks so this is kind of a bummer. Just gonna have to wait and see how the line continues to look the rest of this season.

RGY

Kreid or Die
Jul 18, 2005
Long Island, NY
Dang... I was a big fan of the Colombo hiring, and thought the line had been playing better and better the last few weeks so this is kind of a bummer. Just gonna have to wait and see how the line continues to look the rest of this season.
This explains it all for everyone :

Essentially Judge has been involved with coaching the O-Line the last 2-3 weeks, which as the HC he cannot be solely focused on one area of the team so much. Thats what you have your staff for. And not so coincidentally, during this period the O-Line has played better.

Beer League Sniper

Homeless Man's Rick Nash
Apr 27, 2010
City in a Forest
This explains it all for everyone :

Essentially Judge has been involved with coaching the O-Line the last 2-3 weeks, which as the HC he cannot be solely focused on one area of the team so much. Thats what you have your staff for. And not so coincidentally, during this period the O-Line has played better.

From that tweet, it looked like Judge's original plan was to bring in DeGuglielmo to help Colombo, and Colombo blew up at the decision, getting himself fired in the process.

Love the move by Judge. This is what winners do. They move to immediately address problem areas. He wasn't even firing Colombo, but I guess the hit to his ego was just too much. Not a good look for Colombo. The guy is still very early in his coaching career. Why not take the chance to learn from a guy that has 30 years of OL coaching experience?

Reactions: ponzu4u

Maximus

Dec 23, 2003
Doylestown, PA
I hate to say this but I'm a little nervous about this upcoming Chargers game. Yes their record belies how much talent they have. But this Charger franchise is also almost as jinxed as we are. They seemingly always snatch defeat from the jaws of victory at any given moment. I hope and pray they don't this Sunday and gift wrap a Jet W, because looking at the Jaguars schedule, I'm having a really really hard time finding a win for them.

I hope it's just me being a bit paranoid but we have nothing else to play of other than the #1 overall and teams like the Chargers scare me as I've seen too many games where they've shot themselves in the foot vs inferior teams albeit not as horrific as this years Jet team but you never know.

sbjnyc

Jun 28, 2011
New York
I hate to say this but I'm a little nervous about this upcoming Chargers game. Yes their record belies how much talent they have. But this Charger franchise is also almost as jinxed as we are. They seemingly always snatch defeat from the jaws of victory at any given moment. I hope and pray they don't this Sunday and gift wrap a Jet W, because looking at the Jaguars schedule, I'm having a really really hard time finding a win for them.

I hope it's just me being a bit paranoid but we have nothing else to play of other than the #1 overall and teams like the Chargers scare me as I've seen too many games where they've shot themselves in the foot vs inferior teams albeit not as horrific as this years Jet team but you never know.
Chargers are 1 of only 3 teams to not lose a game by more than 1 score this season (Steelers and Chiefs are the others). I can't imagine them losing the the Jets.

KirkAlbuquerque

#WeNeverGetAGoodCoach
Mar 12, 2014
New York

we have no shot. The Chargers have a bad record but they are the 2007 Patriots compared to us. I think Lynn is a lousy coach but they have a lot of talent.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
Chargers are 1 of only 3 teams to not lose a game by more than 1 score this season (Steelers and Chiefs are the others). I can't imagine them losing the the Jets.

The Chargers seem like the Giants of the AFC with fewer wins but even more competitive in losses.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad