Status
Not open for further replies.

klingsor

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Manhattan
Visit site
It's a minor point but until the Giants have a dynamic kickoff returner the guys who return punts should be instructed to NOT return kickoffs if they reach the end zone.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
What a bizarre story. Everyone, including myself, rushed to judgement, but it made no sense from the beginning. Hopefully he learns from this experience & puts everything in perspective.

He's extremely lucky that the witnesses are as crooked as they are. I have no doubt at all that he was involved in something shady, here. However, the witnesses are all garbage.

TheTimTamSlammerMan

Jul 29, 2011
Long Island
Idk the guy was lazy from the get go. Whether or not the story was true, he doesn’t seem like a Judge kind of guy. Maybe Judge is the coach he needs to set him straight, but it seems like Baker is moving on to another organization.

Miamipuck

Al Swearengen
Dec 29, 2009
Take a Wild Guess
I've been noting that the Giants are not that terrible since our dearly departed poster started trying to compare them to the Jets. They're in their games, which is good.

That said, most teams in the NFL are at least competitive on a fairly regular basis. Like Jacksonville could just as easily have 4 or so wins. Dallas has given a few games away. The Chargers are 2-7 despite having just a -19 point differential. Again, in the NFL, even the "awful" teams are generally keeping it within 7-10 points every week. What makes them bad is that they make mistakes, can't close teams out, lack a few difference-makers, etc. The Giants could quite easily be 5-5 but in a different year of the NFC East could easily be 1-9. They're pretty bad. They at least show some promise, though. Enough to make you think they could be like the Bills or Dolphins, getting back to respectability one season and then really improving the next. They still have a ways to go to make that happen, though. A bad off-season in the NFL can really set a team back.

The Jets are really the only team in the league getting the doors blown off every week.
Haha what happened to the dearly departed?

Beer League Sniper

Homeless Man's Rick Nash
Apr 27, 2010
City in a Forest
He's extremely lucky that the witnesses are as crooked as they are. I have no doubt at all that he was involved in something shady, here. However, the witnesses are all garbage.
Exactly. The "witnesses" tried to leverage their situation and extort Baker/Dunbar. I have no doubt that the original reporting was accurate.

Per the Stapleton tweet, if Baker was a model citizen before this, he probably gets the benefit of the doubt and is still a Giant. He wasn't, and Judge has shown a willingness to discipline anyone who isn't 100% pulling in the same direction.

A team like KC or SEA with a track record of success and an established locker room can probably squeeze something out of him. Just a shame that we used so much draft capital on someone who ultimately wasn't a fit.

Maximus

Dec 23, 2003
Doylestown, PA
Just read Flacco is going to start instead of Darnold due to injury and over Morgan because...oh I dunno...this is the Jets.

OK I'm about to go on a rant so you've been warned:

This is all part and parcel of the problem of hiring GM's and HC's separately. Gase is in survival mode right now and Douglass is in build for the future mode. It just never works and it's obviously not working here.

The fact that we are even discussing this is depressing as hell but in what galaxy does a franchise that’s 0-9 clearly in rebuilding mode,, not start their rookie 4th round QB, after a bye week no less, to find out what he has to offer for the future when the biggest need unfortunately is still incredibly a franchise QB.?

Why the F would you start Flacco ever again when James Morgan is just waiting to make his debut? . Starting Flacco makes zero sense. Only the Jets. This is why they are who they are.

Yes I'm a fan even tho I'm talking negatively about my team. And yes I still get passionate about it. When the passion goes away, I'll "hang it up" and not even bother getting annoyed anymore. Till than tho shit like this bothers the heck out of me and I'm normally a very positive person as most of y'all in here who know me for years know.

50 yrs of my life and still the same old bullshit. OK rant over no reason to duck...y'all can come back out back now!

Reactions: nyr2k2 and RGY

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Just read Flacco is going to start instead of Darnold due to injury and over Morgan because...oh I dunno...this is the Jets.

OK I'm about to go on a rant so you've been warned:

This is all part and parcel of the problem of hiring GM's and HC's separately. Gase is in survival mode right now and Douglass is in build for the future mode. It just never works and it's obviously not working here.

The fact that we are even discussing this is depressing as hell but in what galaxy does a franchise that’s 0-9 clearly in rebuilding mode,, not start their rookie 4th round QB, after a bye week no less, to find out what he has to offer for the future when the biggest need unfortunately is still incredibly a franchise QB.?

Why the F would you start Flacco ever again when James Morgan is just waiting to make his debut? . Starting Flacco makes zero sense. Only the Jets. This is why they are who they are.

Yes I'm a fan even tho I'm talking negatively about my team. And yes I still get passionate about it. When the passion goes away, I'll "hang it up" and not even bother getting annoyed anymore. Till than tho shit like this bothers the heck out of me and I'm normally a very positive person as most of y'all in here who know me for years know.

50 yrs of my life and still the same old bullshit. OK rant over no reason to duck...y'all can come back out back now!
I agree with your general points--like, Perine should get every carry. Frank Gore is a great guy but he's 62 years old. Come on.

I do disagree on Morgan, though. He was drafted as a project, a guy who sits and watches for a couple years until maybe he's ready. I don't think anything positive would come from throwing him to the wolves. I personally don't see the purpose in Flacco at this point, but they signed him, so that's who they have to go with. They should have looked for a younger, project backup. But, I guess even Douglas was hoping they'd be competitive, which is why they chose Flacco.

SA16

Sixstring
Aug 25, 2006
Long Island
The reason Morgan isn't starting is he is most likely absolutely horrible and the coach is always going to try and win.

With regards to Perine...who really cares. It's the least important position in football. You can pick up guys off the scrap heap and get good performances. It happens all the time. He also hasn't even been any better than Frank Gore and they certainly want Gore in more often for pass blocking situations since rookie RB are generally bad at that.

Also for what it's worth the group of late round/undrafted guys from this year/last who have played this year (Rypien/DiNucci/Luton/Stidham) are a combined: 105-179 (58.6%) - 1111 (6.20 ypa) - 5 - 9. Terrible production and they've combined for 1 win which was against the Jets.

Last edited:

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
The reason Morgan isn't starting is he is most likely absolutely horrible and the coach is always going to try and win.

With regards to Perine...who really cares. It's the least important position in football. You can pick up guys off the scrap heap and get good performances. It happens all the time. He also hasn't even been any better than Frank Gore and they certainly want Gore in more often for pass blocking situations since rookie RB are generally bad at that.
The point that @Maximus is making (and he's correct about) is that we're the worst team in football by a country mile, so at this point you should be giving your young guys reps. Perine may not be anything special but he's likely here next year, so give him those reps. Let him work on his pass protection in-game. Gore is almost certainly gone. Nothing is accomplished for the future by giving reps to Gore. And that's the disconnect of having a coach who wants to try to win every week and a GM who has his eyes on next season.

SA16

Sixstring
Aug 25, 2006
Long Island
The point that @Maximus is making (and he's correct about) is that we're the worst team in football by a country mile, so at this point you should be giving your young guys reps. Perine may not be anything special but he's likely here next year, so give him those reps. Let him work on his pass protection in-game. Gore is almost certainly gone. Nothing is accomplished for the future by giving reps to Gore. And that's the disconnect of having a coach who wants to try to win every week and a GM who has his eyes on next season.

That's the case for every non-contending team in every sport ever. We heard the same thing about how Quinn needs to play guys like Kakko higher up in the lineup or even on the PP1 despite bad performances. Perine is irrelevant. The media (Connor Hughes) likes to harp on it. Even if he plays well it doesn't matter as we can just pick up some other random RB in the offseason he can do the same thing. For Morgan, sure, if he plays well that would be great but the chances some random 4th round QB who wasn't a top prospect comes into the NFL as a rookie with weapons like the Jets have and actually shows something promising is so absurdly low. We already saw this play out last year with Luke Falk who was a late round pick the year prior.

It is impossible to get rid of that disconnect unless the owner of the team is the coach or GM because the actual Coach/GM always need to look out for their future.

Maximus

Dec 23, 2003
Doylestown, PA
You guys make some good points obviously. The thing that sucks the most and the underlying reason for the frustration I'm feeling right now besides the fact my Dad took me to Shea Stadium in the early 70's forcing me begin this Jet fandom of mine, is that Darnold cannot stay on the damn football field and show what he's got.

I so so wanted him to have those final 10 games of the year after he came back from his shoulder injury that occurred in the Denver game, when he would have Crowder,Mims and Perriman at his disposal not to mention Becton back to help the O-line too see what he could do with a full compliment of weaponry and if he could show that those glimpses of greatness he had shown the first two years could be sustainable.

We are not going to truly ever see it as I'm convinced now that Darnold's time as a Jet no matter what our record ends up being is pretty much over. I know I was one of the last holdouts in here and still maintained that if he could be given some time in the pocket and some weapons to throw too, he would show that he really was our franchise QB and we could trade our likely 1st overall pick in the draft for the mother load.

Well if you can't stay on the f'n field, you aint going to be showing anybody anything other than that your injury prone albeit snake bit, unreliable and cannot be counted on.

We might have seen the last of Sam which saddens me and so there really shouldn't be a problem seeing if Morgan can play at this level.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
That's the case for every non-contending team in every sport ever. We heard the same thing about how Quinn needs to play guys like Kakko higher up in the lineup or even on the PP1 despite bad performances. Perine is irrelevant. The media (Connor Hughes) likes to harp on it. Even if he plays well it doesn't matter as we can just pick up some other random RB in the offseason he can do the same thing. For Morgan, sure, if he plays well that would be great but the chances some random 4th round QB who wasn't a top prospect comes into the NFL as a rookie with weapons like the Jets have and actually shows something promising is so absurdly low. We already saw this play out last year with Luke Falk who was a late round pick the year prior.

It is impossible to get rid of that disconnect unless the owner of the team is the coach or GM because the actual Coach/GM always need to look out for their future.
:rolleyes:

I don't know why you keep saying Perine is irrelevant. We just used a not-worthless draft choice on him and he's here now. Can we find any upgrade or an equal? Sure, but that's not what we're talking about. We're talking about maximizing the development of a guy on our roster who will be here next year, as opposed to playing Frank Gore while his bones slowly grind into dust.

I don't know who Connor Hughes is.

I don't think we should play Morgan.

Apparently there's nothing else to add here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad