OT: 2020 Football Thread: We All Suck

Status
Not open for further replies.

mrmovies779

The Greatest Teacher,Failure is.
Feb 5, 2013
Young just cost Washington the game with a terrible roughing the passer penalty near the finish.Went from what would have been 3rd and 10 from their own 35 with 10 seconds left to 1st and 10 and midfield.Just a poor awful decision by Young.Very frustrating as a Washington fan to battle back from 24-3 down to lose like that.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
NFC East is really bad. Giants have 1 division game left. Hard to say anything positive about the team IMO until they can win a game outside the division.

They were within one score of the Bucs and Rams, two teams with a ton more talent than them. Really should have beaten the Bucs. The Bears also have a winning record and they were within one score of them. I don't know what to tell you they've played well enough to be running away with this terrible division. They're an average team this year and that's leaps and bounds better than they were since 2016. The talent isn't good, but the coaching is insane.

Also, they beat the Eagles, a team that they lost to like 10 of the last 11. Doesn't matter that it's a down year for them, this was an impressive win for them. Plus the Eagles are healthier than they've been all season.

Reactions: NCRanger and RGY

sbjnyc

Jun 28, 2011
New York
They were within one score of the Bucs and Rams, two teams with a ton more talent than them. Really should have beaten the Bucs. The Bears also have a winning record and they were within one score of them. I don't know what to tell you they've played well enough to be running away with this terrible division. They're an average team this year and that's leaps and bounds better than they were since 2016. The talent isn't good, but the coaching is insane.

Also, they beat the Eagles, a team that they lost to like 10 of the last 11. Doesn't matter that it's a down year for them, this was an impressive win for them. Plus the Eagles are healthier than they've been all season.
The Giants looked good against the eagles but the eagles are not a good team. The NFC East as a whole is 2-18-1 against teams outside the division.

Baby Duck Homme

Still waiting to catch a puck from Fotiu...
Sep 14, 2005
Jersey City NJ
Team is the champion of losing games they should have won at the last second.

Remember the 28 point 4th quarter comeback against Carolina?
The Champs?

I don’t know. The Falcons and Chargers each have a few crazy come from ahead losses this year.

RGY

Kreid or Die
Jul 18, 2005
Long Island, NY
The Giants looked good against the eagles but the eagles are not a good team. The NFC East as a whole is 2-18-1 against teams outside the division.
While the Giants have gaps to close, you completely ignored the points the other poster made about their play against teams outside the division. They played decent against PIT who are now 9-0. They have been in every game except for the SF game. They should have beat Tampa and Chicago. The other poster acknowledged what we dont have and that is a wealth of talent. We have bits and pieces of talent. We have a developing O-Line that has been evolving since week 1, and yet with all the movement of personnel on the line the team continues to be in games. There has been significant progress made with the team. They need a WR1, a prominent edge rusher, a CB opposite Bradberry, and could use another LB. Although if Mckinney is a player, that slots Ryan back to CB and if Zo Carter never gets hurt their LB situation isnt all that bad.

There needs to be more context than just pointing to the NFC East records this year and saying ‘not impressed’ with the Giants.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY

My point is if you're going to ignore wins because of the nuance of the Eagles being bad then you have to look at the nuance of the Giants playing very close and almost beating good teams. Can't have it only one way. The Tampa game they should have won and as bad as Jones has been at times this season, that game given how well his teammates played was still uncharacteristically bad for him. And average Jones game and we win that game.

Reactions: NCRanger

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
I've been noting that the Giants are not that terrible since our dearly departed poster started trying to compare them to the Jets. They're in their games, which is good.

That said, most teams in the NFL are at least competitive on a fairly regular basis. Like Jacksonville could just as easily have 4 or so wins. Dallas has given a few games away. The Chargers are 2-7 despite having just a -19 point differential. Again, in the NFL, even the "awful" teams are generally keeping it within 7-10 points every week. What makes them bad is that they make mistakes, can't close teams out, lack a few difference-makers, etc. The Giants could quite easily be 5-5 but in a different year of the NFC East could easily be 1-9. They're pretty bad. They at least show some promise, though. Enough to make you think they could be like the Bills or Dolphins, getting back to respectability one season and then really improving the next. They still have a ways to go to make that happen, though. A bad off-season in the NFL can really set a team back.

The Jets are really the only team in the league getting the doors blown off every week.

sbjnyc

Jun 28, 2011
New York
My point is if you're going to ignore wins because of the nuance of the Eagles being bad then you have to look at the nuance of the Giants playing very close and almost beating good teams. Can't have it only one way. The Tampa game they should have won and as bad as Jones has been at times this season, that game given how well his teammates played was still uncharacteristically bad for him. And average Jones game and we win that game.
The eagles being bad is a nuance? Look the Giants are immeasurably better than the Jets even though you implied earlier the Jets are just as talented as the Giants. But you don't get anything for almost winning. The Jets almost beat the pats last week. They're still 0-9. But the Jets have the 2nd hardest strength of schedule (behind the pats) while the Giants have one of the easiest.

sbjnyc

Jun 28, 2011
New York
While the Giants have gaps to close, you completely ignored the points the other poster made about their play against teams outside the division. They played decent against PIT who are now 9-0. They have been in every game except for the SF game. They should have beat Tampa and Chicago. The other poster acknowledged what we dont have and that is a wealth of talent. We have bits and pieces of talent. We have a developing O-Line that has been evolving since week 1, and yet with all the movement of personnel on the line the team continues to be in games. There has been significant progress made with the team. They need a WR1, a prominent edge rusher, a CB opposite Bradberry, and could use another LB. Although if Mckinney is a player, that slots Ryan back to CB and if Zo Carter never gets hurt their LB situation isnt all that bad.

There needs to be more context than just pointing to the NFC East records this year and saying ‘not impressed’ with the Giants.

I'll only add that the Steelers have historically played down to their opponents, just like last week vs Dallas.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
I mean, I think there are probably 15 teams in the league who can say they "should have" won a couple more games. That's the nature of parity in this league where often times very little separates a 4-win team from an 8-win team. It's those "should have" games that make the difference. Tuna said it--you are what your record says you are.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
The eagles being bad is a nuance? Look the Giants are immeasurably better than the Jets even though you implied earlier the Jets are just as talented as the Giants. But you don't get anything for almost winning. The Jets almost beat the pats last week. They're still 0-9. But the Jets have the 2nd hardest strength of schedule (behind the pats) while the Giants have one of the easiest.

Do you not realize how inconsistent it is to have yeah buts for one type of game and the other game that doesn't fit your narrative you have to take at face value? If a loss is a loss a win is a win.

sbjnyc

Jun 28, 2011
New York
Do you not realize how inconsistent it is to have yeah buts for one type of game and the other game that doesn't fit your narrative you have to take at face value? If a loss is a loss a win is a win.
I agree. A win is a win and a loss is a loss and as a former Giants HC once said, you're as good as your record says you are. The NFC east record outside their division also counts and 10 weeks into the season no nfc east team has 4 wins.

RGY

Kreid or Die
Jul 18, 2005
Long Island, NY
I agree. A win is a win and a loss is a loss and as a former Giants HC once said, you're as good as your record says you are. The NFC east record outside their division also counts and 10 weeks into the season no nfc east team has 4 wins.
This was supposed to be a building block year. They werent supposed to compete for the division. So referencing Bill Parcels’ famous quote really is just senseless and you having a discussion with yourself if you want to continue to ignore the points being made about the Giants play against every team on their schedule this season, under a new coaching staff albeit. Its just another blanket statement that shows naivety and is disingenuous

Beer League Sniper

Homeless Man's Rick Nash
Apr 27, 2010
City in a Forest
As upset as I was at Jones after the Bucs debacle, he seems to have reeled it back in a bit. I still won't trust him until I see some consistency, but with these 2 wins, any chance at Trevor Lawrence has evaporated. So, for better or worse, we're tied to Jones for the near future.

It's absurd that we're even talking about playoffs sitting at 3-7, but here we are. Even if we ultimately fall short, I love how Judge has the team playing. His (and Garrett/Graham's) task before this season was a big one: wring the best performance possible out of a roster with high turnover, and largely bereft of talent, with a COVID-shortened training camp/preseason. I'd say he's done an excellent job, given the circumstances. The team has struggled to close out games, but that is somewhat expected with a young, largely mediocre, roster. What I have seen, though, is improvement in almost every phase of the game. That's coaching.

Gettleman needs to go, though. There's really no excuse for the state of the roster, especially when it comes to the LB/Edge and OL positions. He probably gets another year if they make the playoffs, though.

RGY

Kreid or Die
Jul 18, 2005
Long Island, NY
As upset as I was at Jones after the Bucs debacle, he seems to have reeled it back in a bit. I still won't trust him until I see some consistency, but with these 2 wins, any chance at Trevor Lawrence has evaporated. So, for better or worse, we're tied to Jones for the near future.

It's absurd that we're even talking about playoffs sitting at 3-7, but here we are. Even if we ultimately fall short, I love how Judge has the team playing. His (and Garrett/Graham's) task before this season was a big one: wring the best performance possible out of a roster with high turnover, and largely bereft of talent, with a COVID-shortened training camp/preseason. I'd say he's done an excellent job, given the circumstances. The team has struggled to close out games, but that is somewhat expected with a young, largely mediocre, roster. What I have seen, though, is improvement in almost every phase of the game. That's coaching.

Gettleman needs to go, though. There's really no excuse for the state of the roster, especially when it comes to the LB/Edge and OL positions. He probably gets another year if they make the playoffs, though.
Sad part is Gettleman will likely get another year even if they dont make playoffs because he’ll point to the defense. He’ll point to where they rank at season’s end and how he brought in Martinez and Bradberry. In fact he’ll probably point to Leonard Williams as well. Logan Ryan. Drafting Lawrence. Etc.

NCRanger

Bettman's Enemy
Feb 4, 2007
Charlotte, NC

They have improved week over week, Jones included.

And even yesterday, they took another step. After the clinching TD was nullified, they settled for the FG, and shut the Eagles down. Previously, they would have found a way to lose that game.

There are some baby steps being taken.

No preseason with a new coaching staff, no Barkley, a new o-line with a center that never played there.

There are at least two winnable (should be wins, Dallas and Cincinnati) on the schedule.

Three probable losses because they never play well against these type QBs (Baltimore, Seattle, and Arizona).

One crapshoot vs. Cleveland.

If they can beat Cleveland and somehow steal one of the three likely losses, 7-9 and hosting a playoff game...

RGY

Kreid or Die
Jul 18, 2005
Long Island, NY
They have improved week over week, Jones included.

And even yesterday, they took another step. After the clinching TD was nullified, they settled for the FG, and shut the Eagles down. Previously, they would have found a way to lose that game.

There are some baby steps being taken.

No preseason with a new coaching staff, no Barkley, a new o-line with a center that never played there.

There are at least two winnable (should be wins, Dallas and Cincinnati) on the schedule.

Three probable losses because they never play well against these type QBs (Baltimore, Seattle, and Arizona).

One crapshoot vs. Cleveland.

If they can beat Cleveland and somehow steal one of the three likely losses, 7-9 and hosting a playoff game...
Lose to Cincy or Cleveland and season is likely over. Beat both an they still need to steal a win against one of those other 3 teams as you mentioned. Unless of course the rest of the NFC East continues to be a travesty and they can win the division with a 6-10 record

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
Lose to Cincy or Cleveland and season is likely over. Beat both an they still need to steal a win against one of those other 3 teams as you mentioned. Unless of course the rest of the NFC East continues to be a travesty and they can win the division with a 6-10 record

I feel like I'm watching election coverage again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad