2020 F1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Preds Partisan

Gunga galunga
Aug 17, 2009
The four Haas team members tested came back negative.

Moto GP has cancelled everything until May in Spain. Races are being rescheduled and added to the end of the season if you're looking into guidance from a similar global traveling motorsport.

JoVel

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2017
Yeah just shut it down.
Ross Brawn did say that a race where any team would fail to show up due to travel restrictions wouldn't take place. This technically isn't said situation but still, I'd bet they won't race.

JoVel

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2017

Horrible, just horrible PR decision by F1 if that stands.

Reactions: MXD

Paris in Flames

Feb 4, 2009
That's a bad move.

F1 brings in hundreds of thousands of people and crams them together and then hundreds, if not thousands, of F1 employees (drivers, crew, media etc) packs up and flies to another location.

I want to see an F1 race this weekend. I want to see a full season....but precautions and containment are far more important.

Paris in Flames

Feb 4, 2009
There hasn't been official word yet has there?

FIA (probably): "I mean we waited so long... everybody here is probably already infected ..so.....vroom vroom baby."

Reactions: JoVel

JoVel

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2017
What a shitshow. This is horrible PR for F1 now no matter whether they race or not. Only a few hours till FP1 and fans don't know what to expect.

Reactions: Preds Partisan

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
I'm not sure about the F1 teams but in this part of the world (Australia and New Zealand) it's the middle of summer and we've had very mild outbreaks of the virus compared to the Northern hemisphere

There's a international cricket game tonight in Australia and it's still going ahead without crowd restrictions as of now (that may change though) so if the F1 teams have already landed in Australia they could race with less risk than a lot of other places around the world

I'm not saying they should or it's a good idea but that's the situation down in Australasia at this point in time

Preds Partisan

Gunga galunga
Aug 17, 2009
It's like the Ferrari engine deal: "We've reached a confidential agreement about the race, but no further comment will be made"

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
To be honest...

This is probably THE sport event that could've gone on, WITH NO PEOPLE IN THE STANDS, despite the pandemic. I totally understand why it was cancelled, and going on might have given a black eye to F1, but, from my understanding, it wouldn't have been terrible from a public health perspective, as opposed to, say, going to a hockey game in North America or Europe.

The stakeholders were already there. Holding the race or not doesn't really change the risk of transmission to anyone.

On the flipside, the next race will probably be Baku or Montreal, so having one race, three months off, then another might just not be the best idea either.

Paris in Flames

Feb 4, 2009
To be honest...

This is probably THE sport event that could've gone on, WITH NO PEOPLE IN THE STANDS, despite the pandemic. I totally understand why it was cancelled, and going on might have given a black eye to F1, but, from my understanding, it wouldn't have been terrible from a public health perspective, as opposed to, say, going to a hockey game in North America or Europe.

The stakeholders were already there. Holding the race or not doesn't really change the risk of transmission to anyone.

On the flipside, the next race will probably be Baku or Montreal, so having one race, three months off, then another might just not be the best idea either.

It definitely could have gone on with no fans.

Buuuut F1 is an expensive sport and those fans are what drive so that definitely factors in.

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
It definitely could have gone on with no fans.

Buuuut F1 is an expensive sport and those fans are what drive so that definitely factors in.

Yeah, but....

Most of the costs had already been incurred, and they'll still have to refund everyone.

nickp91

Jun 29, 2011
1966 was the last time Monaco was the opening round of a season also it was the last time a European track was the first race of the season

Paris in Flames

Feb 4, 2009
Poor Racing Point.

Was their year to be the best of the rest and now it's probably all for nothing.

Ah well. Least they didn't spend much developing the car.

Reactions: Preds Partisan
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad