2020 F1 - Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Siamese Dream

Feb 5, 2011
United Britain of Great Kingdom
The worse about this press conference is that people actually thought Hamilton didn't knew who Tost is (he does). He's calling Tost irrelevant, which is an entirely different issue about which he's at worse moderately right about, Tost being a lifelong manager of a B-Team and all.

Whether that point HAD to be made, and whether it was the best way to make it, is an entirely different story.

Did he? He appeared completely confused and had to ask "Who's that?"

JoVel

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2017
Tost has been a team principal for 15 years, Lewis obviously knows who he is. It's just the classic joke to tell about someone you think is a bit irrelevant.

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
Craziest stat of the year, possibly : Felipe Drugovich now has two more F2 wins this season (2 Sprint, 1 Feature) than points finished in F3 last season. And his teammate was nowhere near in Barhein, altough said teammate is Giuliano Alesi, who is nothing special. He's also not in what's traditionally accepted as a top team in F2 (though MP seems to have nailed it better this season, or maybe it's just the effect of dropping Ragunathan).

Great drive by Tsunoda too, after a mechanical failure ruined his qualy.

Paris in Flames

Feb 4, 2009
If Ilott were to win the F2 championship (still entirely possible) and not secure an F1 drive (which seems likely) what would his next move be?

FE? I'm not that familiar and don't know the inner workings of likely available seats but I am curious what would potentially be available to him.

Part of me has always wondered if drivers with no F1 seat secured would be happier to finish 2nd in F2 than 1st.

Racing Point sent Lance Stroll out for his one hot lap in Q2 on used mediums. That's a very....Ferrari thing of them to do.

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
If Ilott were to win the F2 championship (still entirely possible) and not secure an F1 drive (which seems likely) what would his next move be?

FE? I'm not that familiar and don't know the inner workings of likely available seats but I am curious what would potentially be available to him.

Part of me has always wondered if drivers with no F1 seat secured would be happier to finish 2nd in F2 than 1st.

Racing Point sent Lance Stroll out for his one hot lap in Q2 on used mediums. That's a very....Ferrari thing of them to do.

Softs would last about 4 laps on that track.

What's the point of having an academy if you can't even make room for the guy who HAS to leave F2 if he wins?

EDIT : I did miss the word "used".

More importantly, why was Lance sent on Mediums during Q1?

SoupyFIN

#OneTerritory
Nov 7, 2011

There's quite a few GP2/F2 champions that didn't come close to reaching F1. Valsecchi, Leimer, de Vries, and Bird finished 2nd. There's probably more runner-ups, but those are the ones off the top of my head.

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
There's quite a few GP2/F2 champions that didn't come close to reaching F1. Valsecchi, Leimer, de Vries, and Bird finished 2nd. There's probably more runner-ups, but those are the ones off the top of my head.

None of them were in the driver academy of ANOTHER driver who finished worse and was just promoted though. Also none of them "lost" a potential F1 drive to a driver worse than Nikita Mazepin.

Paris in Flames

Feb 4, 2009
Seeing Grosjean in the medical car is the biggest wave of relief I've felt in a long, Kong time.

He's definitely injured. But shit. He's alive.

Paris in Flames

Feb 4, 2009
Holy shit.

Like...it looked bad in real time. But seeing the replays and all the photos of the aftermath and damage. That's unbelievable.

Romain Grosjean is....a very lucky man. Especially if his half of the car when UNDER the barrier?

I...don't think anybody can complain about halos now.

JoVel

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2017
That was the most terrifying thing I've seen in years. How Grosjean got out of that all by himself is beyond me. All I know is he's the luckiest guy on that grid right now.

If anyone wants to know how far F1 has come in terms of safety then watch this and then Google Helmuth Koinigg.

Paris in Flames

Feb 4, 2009
Few seasons ago? This crash likely kills Romain Grosjean.

Now? Just the end of his season. (and probably his f1 career too but not the point here).

Siamese Dream

Feb 5, 2011
United Britain of Great Kingdom
Holy shit.

Like...it looked bad in real time. But seeing the replays and all the photos of the aftermath and damage. That's unbelievable.

Romain Grosjean is....a very lucky man. Especially if his half of the car when UNDER the barrier?

I...don't think anybody can complain about halos now.

Are there people out there who still actually complain about the halo? I remember it being an issue before they were introduced but once we actually saw them on the car reveals and they didn't look terrible everyone seemed to get over it.

Paris in Flames

Feb 4, 2009
Are there people out there who still actually complain about the halo? I remember it being an issue before they were introduced but once we actually saw them on the car reveals and they didn't look terrible everyone seemed to get over it.

Yeah. I still see complaints on IG/FB/YouTube but those are admittedly....the dregs of the internet. It's usually on throw back video or photos that show a car without a halo. But yeah. The complaints are there for sure.

JoVel

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2017
I don't understand how a guy like Norris, barely out of his teens (and everyone else of course) can watch that over and over again and then having to jump back into the car and go flat out. Adrenaline is quite the drug I guess.

ijuka

May 14, 2016
I don't understand how a guy like Norris, barely out of his teens (and everyone else of course) can watch that over and over again and then having to jump back into the car and go flat out. Adrenaline is quite the drug I guess.
That's like asking how someone who sees a traffic accident can drive a car.

The risk of driving formula 1 is probably smaller than the risk of commuting to work daily.

Paris in Flames

Feb 4, 2009
I'm gonna to do my grocery shopping. Laundry. Decorate the Christmas tree. Shower. Have lunch.

Maybe by then this race will have got a lap in.

JoVel

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2017
That amazing overtake on Perez right there must be enough for Albon to secure that RB seat!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad