2020 Entry Draft Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011
Overstatement here, while he isnt a speedster, his speed is quite fine...

giphy.gif

If Perfetti isn't a terrible skater, we're just not considering skating anymore when evaluating prospects.

Goldenhands

Slaf_The_Great
Sponsor
Aug 21, 2016
giphy.gif

If Perfetti isn't a terrible skater, we're just not considering skating anymore when evaluating prospects.
Skating is important to factor, but this isnt an issue with Perfetti going foward...

Edit: You loved Bobby Brink last year whose skating was much more of an issue than it is with Perfetti... Having a hard time to seize you...

Reactions: Acadien86

covfefe

Zoltan Poszar's Burner
Feb 5, 2014
My thing with Perfetti is basically that, while he’s a poor skater, every other aspect of the package he brings is outstanding. I trust that a kid that skilled will realize he has a leak and needs to improve on (it).

I watched Draisaitl in Kelowna quite a bit and he was legitimately skating in quicksand, even my grandpa who has cataracts was cracking jokes about his skating. Skating can be worked on and improved, unlike other hard skills that you either have or don’t.

Get the kid a trainer and nutritionist and a power skating coach and see where it goes. Offensively he has it all. Can’t teach the IQ and poise he has with the puck.

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011
Skating is important to factor, but this isnt an issue with Perfetti going foward...

Edit: You loved Bobby Brink last year whose skating was much more of an issue than it is with Perfetti... Having a hard time to seize you...

For one, I criticized Brink's skating. I am now criticizing Perfetti's skating. But I also provided a pretty thorough analysis of Brink's skating: he was not containable in-zone, but his straight line skating was terrible. Brink had a skating asset. Perfetti's skating is honestly so bad. Everything he does is in spite of it.

Reactions: MarkovsKnee

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011
My thing with Perfetti is basically that, while he’s a poor skater, every other aspect of the package he brings is outstanding. I trust that a kid that skilled will realize he has a leak and needs to improve on (it).

I watched Draisaitl in Kelowna quite a bit and he was legitimately skating in quicksand, even my grandpa who has cataracts was cracking jokes about his skating. Skating can be worked on and improved, unlike other hard skills that you either have or don’t.

Get the kid a trainer and nutritionist and a power skating coach and see where it goes. Offensively he has it all. Can’t teach the IQ and poise he has with the puck.

That's true. Watching video from Draisaitl's draft season it's hard to believe it's the same player today.

...but then we have to develop him. We, who do not employ a skating coach, or a skills coach, will be in charge of developing him.

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011
That's crazy that we don't have a skating coach

It really, truly is. Toronto has multiple skills development coaches on the ice with their players every practice.

...that better not work. Because it is so f***ing obvious that I'm going to be mad that they had to think of it first.

Reactions: John B and atrud66

atrud66

Tank Tabarnack
Aug 5, 2014
Montreal
It really, truly is. Toronto has multiple skills development coaches on the ice with their players every practice.

...that better not work. Because it is so ****ing obvious that I'm going to be mad that they had to think of it first.

If the Habs had these skills and skating coaches, I wouldn't be as opposed to KK developing in the NHL but he's been stagnant since he's entered the league due to lack of opportunity and lack of skill development.

MarkovsKnee

Global Moderator
Nov 21, 2007
Toronto

I just don't trust Montreal to help him develop like that. Only one who's vastly improved their skating from the time of drafting is Gallagher and his mother is a personal trainer.

Would prefer skating to be an asset already because of the limitations of this organization.

Reactions: NeptunesTrident

Goldenhands

Slaf_The_Great
Sponsor
Aug 21, 2016
For one, I criticized Brink's skating. I am now criticizing Perfetti's skating. But I also provided a pretty thorough analysis of Brink's skating: he was not containable in-zone, but his straight line skating was terrible. Brink had a skating asset. Perfetti's skating is honestly so bad. Everything he does is in spite of it.
Would you call Suzuki a slow skater back to his junior years? Because their skating looks pretty similar in their draft year, good agility but lack explosiveness... I would call Perfetti an average skater, but he is so smart and so skilled that its not really a concern to me when I watch him play... Now if you call him a slow skater compared to the top fowards in the draft, I would agree with that...

Reactions: Plekatorz

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011
Would you call Suzuki a slow skater back to his junior years? Because their skating looks pretty similar in their draft year, good agility but lack explosiveness... I would call Perfetti an average skater, but he is so smart and so skilled that its not really a concern to me when I watch him play... Now if you call him a slow skater compared to the top fowards in the draft, I would agree with that...

No. Suzuki is a much better skater than Perfetti is. Perfetti is a Vilardi level skater. I seriously don't get how you can say that Cole is an ''average'' skater. Average for men's league perhaps.

Pompeius Magnus

May 18, 2014
Kanata ,ON
I'm usually 100% with team BPA on these arguments but even I have to admit size AND skill would be kinda nice at the top. For whatever reason we seem to have a hard time putting those two things together, it's mostly one or the other.

Reactions: Takeru

HabsMD97

Jun 30, 2014
king's landing
Draisaitl was a terrible skater but he is also 6'3. Perfetti is 5'10. for every top prospect that improves their skating, there's 2 that never do. I believe theres research out there indicating that speed is something that plateaus early in a players career. You can improve your fundamentals but speed is extremely hard to improve. My guy is dawson mercer for this draft so far.

NeptunesTrident

Feb 22, 2007
I just don't trust Montreal to help him develop like that. Only one who's vastly improved their skating from the time of drafting is Gallagher and his mother is a personal trainer.

Would prefer skating to be an asset already because of the limitations of this organization.

I find this interesting for one reason. If the organization isn't maxing out on the salary cap like Montreal(roughly $7.5M remaining on cap) and it has limitations, then that suggests to ME that Condo Boy is having money trouble because skating coaches aren't that expensive. I apologize to mods as I know this is the Entry Draft thread.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
That is sad, really sad.

Man, I was looking forward to seeing more of him :cry:

well if we continue to struggle this season and he misses a lot of time it could work out well for us. The new Swedish scout we hired seems like he may have found us a solid pick in Norlinder and I'm sure he would be all for Hotz if he did drop to our range. But with possible no Holtz or Lundell at the WJC's it should be interesting to see where they end up ranked at and where we end up picking.

Reactions: Takeru

Plekatorz

Jun 6, 2019
With Caufield, Ylonen, Holtz, Gallagher and al. It would be interesting at RW in the future. A little bit redundant, but you can’t say no to that kind of scoring ability.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad