2020 Entry Draft Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Michoulicious

Dec 9, 2014
I love Stutzle, hes been 3rd for half a year on my list, starting with the first time Ive seen him in march last year. Byfield will go 2nd 100% sure. Teams wont pass up on the big C. Dach, KK, Hayton, Dubois... its like that every year.
It's understandable, but Stützle is a special case where I think you can overlook size, a bit like for Kane a few years back.

Kid makes me think a lot of Drouin (hands, amazing saucer passes, vision, zone entries, on the PP), but with the motor of a Gallagher. It's really a package that is hard to ignore.

I have him at #2 right now.

phillytennis

Mar 4, 2012
Michoulicious....I agree with you in so many ways...Stutzle's elite level skating is super impressive....he has tremendous hands....plays with grit and passion....tough not to like.
#2....flip a coin between Stutzle and Byfield....both have game....I would be super happy with either player at 2 or 3.

Goldenhands

Slaf_The_Great
Sponsor
Aug 21, 2016
For the Habs, I have them ranked this way:

1-Lafreniere
2-Byfield
3-Stutzle
4-Lundell
5-Holloway
6-Drysdale
7-Raymond

Hidden gem is John-Jason Peterka... That kid is easily one of the best pure skaters in the draft both in term of speed and agility, skating is pretty close to Raymond, kid never stop moving his feet being at the right spot all the times, he is strong, smart, has great work ethic and has some pretty nice hands... I wish Bergy adds another 1st to have a chance at grabbing him... Trading Petry or Tatar should get us that other 1st rd pick...

Last edited:
Reactions: CapSpace

FrankMTL

Jan 6, 2005
All this losing would actually be worth it if we could get our hands on Lafreniere. Would be happy with pretty much anybody ranked in the top 5 though.

DXStriker

Nov 15, 2016
I just remembered that SJ pick belongs to OTT lol

If SJ does not start winning OTT could have 2 chances at Lafreniere lol

That would be the worst case scenario .... OTT gets the Quebec Local boy lol

SOLR

Jun 4, 2006
Toronto / North York
his facts are right. I’ve seen Byfield ranked second on every single list. Some lists don’t even have Raymond in the top 3

Yeah because Raymond has been sick during the fall, but U18 to September Raymond was solid 2nd. So no, his fact of 1 year of Byfield at 2nd are not right at all. Raymond won the U18 on his shoulder.

https://www.tsn.ca/raymond-s-ot-winner-gives-sweden-gold-in-u-18-worlds-1.1297831

NHL Draft: Top 31 prospect rankings for 2020 - ProHockeyTalk | NBC Sports

Yes, you can find many lists with Byfield at 2nd...(from the media), but I suspect NHL scouts are less likely to have him there considering the storyline of his international play. Raymond is older, fair enough, but he's so ahead of Byfield that I question the temerity of having the taller/bigger/center guy better ranked. And the U-20 just confirmed that again.

Last edited:

SOLR

Jun 4, 2006
Toronto / North York
Galchenyuk is a 50 point guy and to keep his job in Montreal he needed to be a better 2 way player, which he wasn’t and now he’s not here anymore.

Holtz isnt Galchenyuk at all. Holtz got a bit of Gallagher/Danault in him...annoying presence. A 60 pts winger who is annoying as hell, is a first liner for most team and extremely valuable. You'll see when we'll trade Gallagher or Danault.

SOLR

Jun 4, 2006
Toronto / North York
Dave....other GMs may be willing to trade future picks....later picks in the 2020 draft (beyond the second round) and picks in 2021 or 2022 drafts for veteran talent in our lineup.
If this upcoming draft is such a strong draft, GMs are going to be extremely reluctant to trade first round picks and early second round picks.

Its an average draft.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Its an average draft.

Nobody knows how deep this next draft is. What those kids do this year has a lot to do with how good the talent is and we are only at half way point.

"Deep Draft" is a myth. Is is top 5 deep? 5-15 Deep? Top 25 deep? Deep from 20-40? I always chuckle when fans jump on the deep draft bandwagon. We don't know how deep it is

SOLR

Jun 4, 2006
Toronto / North York
Nobody knows how deep this next draft is. What those kids do this year has a lot to do with how good the talent is and we are only at half way point.

"Deep Draft" is a myth. Is is top 5 deep? 5-15 Deep? Top 25 deep? Deep from 20-40? I always chuckle when fans jump on the deep draft bandwagon. We don't know how deep it is

In my opinion, at this stage of the year, we can have a pretty good idea. If you look at the first-rounders ranked 20-30 this year, they would not be first-rounders in a good year based on their skills (for example).

SOLR

Jun 4, 2006
Toronto / North York
In the WJC. *******

And thats been the problem with you voicing an opinion like that, you have watched a week of his career, don't you think you might be missing something, somewhere ?

League play for a player like Byfield doesn't mean much, when will you ever learn.

He's in the 0.01% of the athletic corpus, he would dominate a league of inferior athletes without sleeping for 4 days.

Suddenly when you give him athletic competition, he gets benched after 2 games.
Doesn't dominate Hlinka.

covfefe

Zoltan Poszar's Burner
Feb 5, 2014
League play for a player like Byfield doesn't mean much, when will you ever learn.

He's in the 0.01% of the athletic corpus, he would dominate a league of inferior athletes without sleeping for 4 days.

Suddenly when you give him athletic competition, he gets benched after 2 games.
Doesn't dominate Hlinka.

you’ve been out to lunch on Byfield for a while now, I recall you originally saying he was a bad skater which is categorically false, and seems to hint that you don’t really know what you are talking about. That said, you seem to have a steel resolve when it comes to this topic and I can respect that much. Only time will tell us who ends up being right.

FrankMTL

Jan 6, 2005
Nathan Mackinnon only had 1 assist in 6 games during the World Juniors in his draft year....He still went first overall and I doubt the Avalanche regret their choice. Keep that in mind when discussing Byfield's performance (or even Caufield's performance). This is a short tournament, and there can be many factors that can affect a players performance.

Byfield just like Mackinnon is one of the youngest in his draft class...Sometimes almost a year younger than certain other players that will be drafted in the same class.

Reactions: phillytennis

FrankMTL

Jan 6, 2005
If it makes anybody feel any better (if only for a moment), here is who the main mock draft websites have us drafting at the moment:

Draftsite- Tim Stutzle (8) updated with our current ranking
My NHL Draft- Alexander Holtz (9) not updated with our current standings (Would be drafting Drysdale at 8)
Tankathon- Tim Stutzle (7)- They have us drafting at 7th for whatever reason (They have Anton Lundell at 8)

They key for us is to stay in that bottom 10 to get a very good player. There seems to be a drop off in talent after the Top 10 or 11 (including the goalie Askarov who we won't draft)

phillytennis

Mar 4, 2012
For the Habs, I have them ranked this way:

1-Lafreniere
2-Byfield
3-Stutzle
4-Lundell
5-Holloway
6-Drysdale
7-Raymond

Hidden gem is John-Jason Peterka... That kid is easily one of the best pure skaters in the draft both in term of speed and agility, skating is pretty close to Raymond, kid never stop moving his legs being at the right spot all the times, he is strong, smart, has great work ethic and has some pretty nice hands... I wish Bergy adds another 1st to have a chance at grabbing this kid... Trading Petry or Tatar should get us that other 1st rd pick...

1. Lafrenière
2. Byfield/ Stutzle (it would depend
3. Byfield/ Stutzle on our needs)
4. Drysdale
5. Raymond
6. Lundell
7. Holloway
8. Holtz

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
If it makes anybody feel any better (if only for a moment), here is who the main mock draft websites have us drafting at the moment:

My NHL Draft- Alexander Holtz (9) not updated with our current standings (Would be drafting Drysdale at 8)
Tankathon- Tim Stutzle (7)- They have us drafting at 7th for whatever reason (They have Anton Lundell at 8)

They key for us is to stay in that bottom 10 to get a very good player. There seems to be a drop off in talent after the Top 10 or 11 (including the goalie Askarov who we won't draft)
Honestly those picks would be like winning the lottery.

Saxon

Mar 9, 2015
1. Lafrenière
2. Byfield/ Stutzle (it would depend
3. Byfield/ Stutzle on our needs)
4. Drysdale
5. Raymond
6. Lundell
7. Holloway
8. Holtz
1. Lafreniere
2. Byfeild
3. Stutzle
4. Drysdale
5. Holtz
6 Raymond
7. Holloway
8. Lundell
9. Perfetti
10. Rossi

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com

I haven't paid that much attention to this draft, which is more then I usually do over the past few years but my gut feeling is I will be very disappointed if we don't end up with say a top 4 or 5 pick. And by that I mean either by luck in winning one of the top 3 lottery picks or by trading up as we MUST add a high end talent hopefully at forward.

I don't know how good this class will end up but with Kotka's struggles, Brook's struggles, Poehling not doing much, Primeau's up and downs, Ylonen having a flat year so far, etc.. I think we need to hit a major home run at this draft to give many of us fans more hope for the future despite the system being deeper then I ever recall. Yes Suzuki and Caufield have that high end talent and Romanov like Poehling is a lock to be an NHLer whenever he wants to be but getting Lafreniere and not having to watch him go to the Sens or one of the other top 3 would be a huge win for us and bode well for our future for sure.

FrankMTL

Jan 6, 2005
I haven't paid that much attention to this draft, which is more then I usually do over the past few years but my gut feeling is I will be very disappointed if we don't end up with say a top 4 or 5 pick. And by that I mean either by luck in winning one of the top 3 lottery picks or by trading up as we MUST add a high end talent hopefully at forward.

I don't know how good this class will end up but with Kotka's struggles, Brook's struggles, Poehling not doing much, Primeau's up and downs, Ylonen having a flat year so far, etc.. I think we need to hit a major home run at this draft to give many of us fans more hope for the future despite the system being deeper then I ever recall. Yes Suzuki and Caufield have that high end talent and Romanov like Poehling is a lock to be an NHLer whenever he wants to be but getting Lafreniere and not having to watch him go to the Sens or one of the other top 3 would be a huge win for us and bode well for our future for sure.

I hear you! He's the type of talent that we haven't had since forever. When was the last time we had a genuine superstar forward? I mean somebody that we knew would pretty much always be in the top 10 in scoring in the league. I mean we had both Damphousse and Turgeon at one point in the mid 90's and they we're very good, but not real superstars. I think the last real superstar forward we had is Guy Lafleur in the 70's and early 80's...and for a franchise like the Montreal Canadiens, that is sad.

Reactions: Garnet76

MarkovsKnee

Global Moderator
Nov 21, 2007
Toronto
It really is. Byfield has the highest ceiling of all IMO.

Drysdale is the only non F that should sneak in the 10s.

I think Lundell and Holloway are both similar to KK and Tkachuk in quality and they should last until 7 or 8 along with Rossi and Perfetti who have clear flaws but are hard not to like.

Stutzle, Raymond, Holtz and Drysdale have crazy ceiling.

I still like Holtz a lot. Kid has really good size already. I was impressed with his compete level at the WJC. He's a two way guy who backtracks the puck really well. He's still only 17 too.

He's not just a shooter. He could be Forsberg like (Nashville one). Can beat you in the corners, and to the front of the net, while possessing impressive shooting arsenal.

If he falls like Forsberg did, I'd be good with that if we're 10 or 11.

Reactions: NoQuinn

Saxon

Mar 9, 2015
I still like Holtz a lot. Kid has really good size already. I was impressed with his compete level at the WJC. He's a two way guy who backtracks the puck really well. He's still only 17 too.

He's not just a shooter. He could be Forsberg like (Nashville one). Can beat you in the corners, and to the front of the net, while possessing impressive shooting arsenal.

I do think he'd complement or forward group very well. I'm really high on this kid too. One of my faves in the draft

Reactions: MarkovsKnee

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world

I feel the FF9 comparisons too. I think he may be a bit weaker on the board than Filip but he still is a well rounded player.

Im not sure if he has 70+ points upside though

dackelljuneaubulis02

Oct 13, 2012
Byfield is a lock at 2, barring some sort of catastrophic injury. Every factor works in his favour, and his nearly first place team just went 1-7 while he was out of the lineup for the WJC. If that doesn’t speak volumes to how good he is, I don’t know what does. 6’4 C with silk hands, excellent skating, IQ, less than a month away from next year’s draft...

People want all big guys to lay the body, but that’s just not realistic for any/every player out there. I don’t give a **** if he is softer than you’d expect at 6’4, 215, because he has a bunch of un-teachable skills and GM’s won’t risk their jobs picking a ~5’10 German (who I love) or a ~5’10 D man (who I also love) over him. If you want someone to lay the body, pay Andrew Shaw to do it - not a guy who has 70-80+ pt potential.

Auston Matthews is a big boy too, can’t recall the last time he laid a hit, and that doesn’t seem to ever work against him because he is unbelievably talented in so many other areas.

for me, much like in 2018/19, this draft gets interesting at 3. I have Drysdale occupying that spot, but we will see how things play out as the year goes on.

Matthews is mad scary when he has the puck with in 15 feet of the net but I still question his heart though. I don't know if he's a guy who can bring you playoff success. I could be SERIOUSLY wrong about that and I'm not saying I think I'm 100% on that but I think the Laffs overall lack backbone and I think thats what's going to hurt them going forward if they don't make some key adds/tweaks.

I know nothing about Byfield but if he gives anyone the same vibes I have with Matthews I'd be a bit worried at #2. And I hope no one comes back with a 'skill over everything' argument or trying to say I don't value pure skill. Of course I want skill but there's plenty of guys who can light it up in the regular season but can't make it happen in the playoffs.

Again, I'm not saying Matthews will never make it happen when it counts but it is a feeling I get from him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->