2020 Entry Draft Thread Part 8

Status
Not open for further replies.

DramaticGloveSave

Voice of Reason
Apr 17, 2017
The 4-12 comment is pretty telling. I think Lundell is going higher than expected. He’s a big, natural two-way centre that teams covet. It happens every year that one goes higher than expected.

Dach in 2019 (even though it was a centre heavy draft)

KK, Hayton and Dellandrea in 2018.

Lias Andersson and Rasmussen in 2017.

Wouldn’t be surprised to see him go 5th to Ottawa if they don’t get Byfield at 3. Also 6th to Anaheim.
Lundell is definitely the most likely suspect. Imagine the butthurt if the Sens took him at 5.

Reactions: le_sean

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Someone on twitter suggested Danault for 8 and Montour but I would consider moving Domi + Juulsen for 8th and Montour

I would not trade Juulsen just yet. If he gets past his injuries, I think he might be the best vs Brook or Fleury. I would do Domi and 2020 4th for 8th OA and a future 2nd. Domi > 8th OA. 8th OA can be a better play vs Domi but it can also bust or disappoint too. I would want that 2nd round future to give us another dart.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Just finished reading the latest Elliot Friedman 31 thoughts piece. In it there is a quote from Pierre Dorion that said his tiers for this draft broke down as follows "Lafreniere, then two players, then players four through 12, followed by 13 to 18 or 20."

After reading that Dorion quote I'm curious if the posters here who follow the draft closely agree with Dorion and his tiers for this draft?

I agree with it. There is no such thing as BPA at 4. 4-12 is very close in potential. I have a slight difference from 15+ though. 15-50 (+/-) looks like where this draft has a waive of talent and I'm not seeing a lot of talent variance. Guys like Barron or Lapierre can go 15-20 range or 20-40 range.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
There was an article on RDS last week saying that Hendrix Lapierre works à lot on his shot since November.

With his injury he decided To work on it and he sees a very big improvement.

Hendrix Lapierre is a top 10 talent of this draft. The team who Will draft him between 15-25 Will be seen as genius in 3,4 years from now

Could be another Leblanc or a Giroux. Lapierre is a bust or hit big type pick IMO. Only played 19 games in his draft year? I think he can go anywhere from 15-40 range.

Gravity

Generational Poster
Feb 27, 2017
In a Barred Spiral
If Det takes Perfetti at 4, than that leaves Drysdale, Raymond, Holtz, Rossi and Sanderson until 9. If Sanderson and Holtz go before 9, we're getting a hell of a faller.

Pompeius Magnus

May 18, 2014
Kanata ,ON
CHL

If any of y'all would like to keep an eye on the import draft, it started at 11.

Edit: Saskatoon took a chance on Brad Lambert. I don't expect he'll go the CHL route but in these uncertain times it's not a bad gamble to take. He does have roots to Saskatchewan via his dad.

London just took Peterka, interesting ! They're usually good at getting their imports to come.

Last edited:
Reactions: TooLegitToQuit

LastWordArmy

Sep 11, 2011
Canada
Russian forward Maxim Groshev spent the majority of the season playing against men in the KHL. He put up one goal and six assists for seven points in 36 games for Nizhnekamsk Neftekhimik. Groshev also played in three playoff games without recording a point. Playing for Reaktor Nizhnekamsk in the MHL, he put up two goals and three assists for five points in eight games. Groshev also represented his country at the World Juniors but did not score in the tournament. He played a bottom-line role in helping the team to a silver medal. He also played in the Canada-Russia Super Series, picking up two goals and an assist for three points in six games.

In 2018-19, Groshev spent most of the season in the MHL. He scored seven goals and 13 assists for 20 points in 47 games. He also played three games in the Russian U18 League, putting up one goal and five points. Groshev played for Russian at the IIHF Under-18 World Championships. He scored three goals and four points in seven games, winning silver. Groshev also had two goals and three points in six games at the World Junior A Challenge.

Our Scouting Report
https://lastwordonhockey.com/2020/06/30/maxim-groshev-scouting-report/

Pompeius Magnus

May 18, 2014
Kanata ,ON
Tomorrow is the CHL Import Draft, should be interesting to see who might be coming over. On the prospects board there's a thread about and someone posted something about Daniil Gushchin might be a high pick. I've seen him a few times since he was a teammate of Pitlick's this year and his linemate so I could see the Habs being interested in him for sure.
Niagara ended up taking him #4. It's not exactly a very good team but it might turn out to be a very good opportunity for him if he goes.

Reactions: montreal

ahmedou

DOU
Oct 7, 2017
Decent comparison :thumbu:

upload_2020-6-30_11-49-55.png

Goldenhands

Slaf_The_Great
Sponsor
Aug 21, 2016
CHL

If any of y'all would like to keep an eye on the import draft, it started at 11.

Edit: Saskatoon took a chance on Brad Lambert. I don't expect he'll go the CHL route but in these uncertain times it's not a bad gamble to take. He does have roots to Saskatchewan via his dad.

London just took Peterka, interesting ! They're usually good at getting their imports to come.

I could see Peterka going to London pretty well since he was a bit in the doghouse last year with Munich, was not even used on the 2nd PP unit...

If Peterka goes to London, cant see which team in the CHL can compete with them lol, they are going to be too strong for the rest of the league...

Reactions: Pompeius Magnus

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
I could see Peterka going to London pretty well since he was a bit in the doghouse last year with Munich, was not even used on the 2nd PP unit...

If Peterka goes to London, cant see which team in the CHL can compete with them lol, they are going to be too strong for the rest of the league...

Depends what happens with the next NHL season, but London will likely lose McMichael, Merkley, Foudy, Gruden, and Regula.

DramaticGloveSave

Voice of Reason
Apr 17, 2017
At 9 I think we'd have 2 of Perfetti/Raymond/Quinn. Perfetti and Raymond are so boom/bust they scare me a bit, so really hope Quinn would be there and be the pick.

VirginiaMtlExpat

Second most interesting man in the world.
Aug 20, 2003
Norfolk, VA
www.odu.edu
My guess is that Rossi will fall outside of the top8.
If the above scenario plays out, I’d be very happy with Raymond @ 9. Raymond is neck and neck with Holtz in my eyes. They play different styles but don’t underestimate Raymond. He’s the real deal.

I'd be happy with either of these players, picking at 9. The rest of my draft would feature at least one, if not two or three, relatively big-bodied and/or gritty forwards, with a reasonable amount of skill. The talent pool is fairly well stocked, but could use an injection of game-breaking skill (Raymond, Rossi) and wingers/centers who bring size along with skill.

VirginiaMtlExpat

Second most interesting man in the world.
Aug 20, 2003
Norfolk, VA
www.odu.edu
My feelings for Rossi at 9 this year are similar to Caufield at 15 last year. He shouldn’t be there, don’t wanna draft another midget, but too tough to pass on that type of talent.
That's the way I see it. This is the same quandary as the year we could have picked Giroux in 2006, while playing Koivu and Ribeiro as top two centers. If you go back in time, would you pass on Giroux because your top two centers are rather small or scrawny? Rossi is a lot like Giroux in many ways, but with thicker legs. Strikes me as even more of game-breaker, although it's speculative at this point. But the game (the players) has gotten smaller and quicker than 2006, for the most part.

Reactions: DramaticGloveSave

Pompeius Magnus

May 18, 2014
Kanata ,ON
And suddenly....Peterka has just risen to top 20 material.....
It's possible, London does carry a pretty sizable reputation and their prospects tend to get overrated a bit because of it. The Hunters do have a solid track record as far as producing future NHLer goes so it's not completely based on nothing obviously.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $36,790.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cagliari vs Lecce
    Cagliari vs Lecce