2020 Entry Draft Thread Part 8

Status
Not open for further replies.

LastWordArmy

Sep 11, 2011
Canada
Lottery Edition: 2020 NHL Mock Draft

1.) Placeholder – Alexis Lafreniere, Left Wing, Rimouski Oceanic, QMJHL

Lafreniere is the clear best player in this draft class. While things were close between Lafreniere and others (specifically Quinton Byfield) early in the season, a dominant season where he was the clear best player in the CHL, along with an MVP performance in leading Canada to a gold medal at the World Juniors have solidified Lafreniere in a class above all others in this draft group.

Lafreniere has great hands, allowing him to make plays at top speed. Lafreniere can be a playmaker with his great vision and passing skills. He anticipates plays extremely well and makes his linemates better. Able to control the puck down low on the cycle, Lafreniere creates time and space while his teammates get open. Once they do, he can make a quick tape-to-tape pass that sets up his teammate in a prime scoring position. He can control the play on the half-boards, playing the role of a modern power-play quarterback. Lafreniere is also a natural goal scorer. He can put the puck in the net in a variety of ways.

Article continues here...
NHL Mock Draft 2020- Lottery Edition - Last Word on Hockey

ahmedou

DOU
Oct 7, 2017
upload_2020-6-29_12-15-1.png

JeffreyLFC

Sep 29, 2017
I must admit, I am warming up on the idea of drafting Quinn 9th overall. I think he has nice upside and he would fit nicely with our team. I also like the players attitude and commitment to get better. I am glad if we select 9th and obviously 1st overall. I would be pissed if we manage to beat the Penguins though.

Frank JT

Feb 8, 2014
McKenzie on Sanderson :
«As previously mentioned, two of TSN’s 10 scouts have Sanderson as the top defenceman in the draft and ranked him third overall, behind only Lafreniere and Stutzle. He was No. 3 on the high side, No. 11 on the low side.»

I think Sanderson has 50/50 to go top8. If not, he will not go far after.

Last edited:

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
McKenzie on Sanderson :
«As previously mentioned, two of TSN’s 10 scouts have Sanderson as the top defenceman in the draft and ranked him third overall, behind only Lafreniere and Stutzle. He was No. 3 on the high side, No. 11 on the low side.»

I think Sanderson has 50/50 to go top8. If not, he will not go after.

I'd say its an 80% chance he goes top 8.

Reactions: Gains and SOLR

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I'd say its an 80% chance he goes top 8.

Drysdale and Sanderson are the two obvious guys to target on D and we all know how scouts love D and centers... especially with size. I think the draft goes down like this..

1) Lafreniere
2) Kings pick Stutzle
3) Sens take Byfield
4) Wings take Drysdale or Rossi or Sanderson
5) Sens take one of Drysdale or Sanderson
6) Ducks are hard to predict IMO. Could go after anybody
7) Devils take either Sanderson or Holtz
8) Sabres take one of Askarov, Sanderson, or Holtz

At 9, I think the probability is one or Raymond, Sanderson, Askarov, Rossi will be there. I think Holtz is gone before 9 with that shot/size combo he has. If we get 9, hope I am wrong cause I want Holtz

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
No one has really seen him play. This US junior team was not one to follow like last year, so he’s gone unnoticed. I’d imagine a U18 tournament would have secured his spot in the Top 8.

Scouting can continue from Oct - Jan of next season though right? CHL might be in trouble cause they need fans. What about NCAA?

CHfan1

Apr 23, 2012
Scouting can continue from Oct - Jan of next season though right? CHL might be in trouble cause they need fans. What about NCAA?

Good point.

I think things will change with draft rankings if the NHL is able to finish this season and some of the other leagues (Swedish, German, NCAA) play.

The European leagues start in early to mid September and the NCAA starts in October.

Right now the latest date the NHL can finish is October 5th, with free agency starting November 1. That puts the draft around October 23-24.

If that’s the case some of these players are going to play again before the draft and thus get scouted more.

Reactions: TooLegitToQuit

sheed36

Jan 8, 2005
No Man's Land
McKenzie on Sanderson :

I think Sanderson has 50/50 to go top8. If not, he will not go far after.

As I posted in another thread earlier today. McCagg was on TSN690 with Tony earlier this morning and he as Sanderson going 4th to the Wings and said he has him ranked 3rd in his draft rankings.

Here's the audio link to his TSN690 draft segment if anyone who cares enough to listen to what Grant thinks may happen in the top 8 from earlier today.

McCagg: Expect Sanderson and Drysdale to go in top 5

Reactions: Frank JT

Pompeius Magnus

May 18, 2014
Kanata ,ON
The bad side : if so, Bergevin will be our GM for 5 to 10 other years... :)
I legit don't think it would make that much of a difference one way or the other. Bergy is Molson's guy all the way, he'll die on that hill unless something truly drastic happens ( a big internal fight, a scandal, a major organizational overhaul where Molson loses his hockey ops decision power, etc) .

Reactions: habsfan891

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I legit don't think it would make that much of a difference one way or the other. Bergy is Molson's guy all the way, he'll die on that hill unless something truly drastic happens ( a big internal fight, a scandal, a major organizational overhaul where Molson loses his hockey ops decision power, etc) .

It all matters cause Bergevin has 2 years in term left. Missed the playoffs next season and the year after and the kids are meh... Bergevin, Timmins... everyone is fired.

Pompeius Magnus

May 18, 2014
Kanata ,ON
It all matters cause Bergevin has 2 years in term left. Missed the playoffs next season and the year after and the kids are meh... Bergevin, Timmins... everyone is fired.
Time will tell obviously but I genuinely wont be surprised if Bergy gets an extension at the end of next year or at some other point before his current deal ends. I'd be willing to bet he's still very much entrenched . Lucking into Lafreniere would put a cherry on top of that obviously.

Frank JT

Feb 8, 2014
Lafrenière could help the CH in december and make a difference. Not the 9th overall.
If Bergevin doesn't help his team next year to make the playoff, he will be fired.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad