2020 Entry Draft Thread Part 6

Status
Not open for further replies.

McGees

Jun 15, 2016
If you want a franchise defenseman that can defend and lead your team for 15+ years then Jake Sanderson should be at the top of your list. Nothing fancy about him just plain dominance defensively and simple effective play offensively.
People sleeping on him for some reason. You don’t want a McDonagh? A McAvoy? A Werenski?
Possible future captain? This guy is for real and likely gone before 8 anyways.

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
People sleeping on him for some reason. You don’t want a McDonagh? A McAvoy? A Werenski?

Nobody's really sleeping on him. We just want to try to use our top ten pick on a dynamic offensive talent since this team hasn't been able to score for 20 years now.

JeffreyLFC

Sep 29, 2017
Nobody's really sleeping on him. We just want to try to use our top ten pick on a dynamic offensive talent since this team hasn't been able to score for 20 years now.
I mean everybody would love to get the next Offensive superstar and this year offensive talent is definitely up there with the best draft in years at the top but at the same time we overlook the impact of complete 30min+ icetime defenseman. I fully understand the frustration by watching this inept offensively team play but I keep my head cool and understand it's a building process and not one savior away from a full change of fortune. If we do get Sanderson, I know there would be angriness feeling around here that we did not draft the BPA (or whatever) but I would be fully supportive of the idea and I have little doubt that in the big picture (couple years from now) it would be considered a great draft pick.

My best comparison is 2003, Zherdev was the sexy pick, he had this amazing creativity, hands, size, shot. He was supposed to become a franchise winger. It turn out that while insanely talented, he was not committed and good enough to be the dominant offensive force out there... At 7th overall Nashville went with the boring pick and drafted the great skater/not flashy great defender in Ryan Suter. It was considered a safe not sexy pick. It turned out that Suter has been one of the top defender for many years and Columbus definitely wished they went with him instead of the flashiest pick.

Last edited:

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
I mean everybody would love to get the next Offensive superstar and this year offensive talent is definitely up there with the best draft in years at the top but at the same time we overlook the impact of complete 30min+ icetime defenseman. I fully understand the frustration by watching this inept offensively team play but I keep my head cool and understand it's a building process and not one savior away from a full change of fortune. If we do get Sanderson, I know there would be angriness feeling around here that we did not draft the BPA (or whatever) but I would be fully supportive of the idea and I have little doubt that in the big picture (couple years from now) it would be considered a great draft pick.

It's going to be depending on my board.. only way I'm going to be miffed is if we take Sanderson over Stutzle, Holtz or Raymond.

VirginiaMtlExpat

Second most interesting man in the world.
Aug 20, 2003
Norfolk, VA
www.odu.edu
on doit drafter un def gaucher cette année.
If we don't get him, will you become Irritable, Colon? :skeptic:

On a more serious note, I can see the attraction about this player. His skating is supposed to be Coffey-like, but I read also that his shot is a bit of a muffin. If we pick him, I hope that he works on it and makes it into a strength.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
With Suzuki, Caufield, Kotka and Ylonen we are really thin on forward prospects/young forwards with offensive upside. As of now we badly need to hit on at least 3 of the 4 if we don't land a skilled forward in this draft especially more so if next year ends up being a weaker draft.

I do wonder if we will be in on some teammates of our prospects, ones I wouldn't mind taking a flyer on,

Maxim Groshev, played with Khisamutdinov in the KHL
Oliver Suni/Tyler Tullio, played with McShane
Danil Gushchin played with Pitlick in the USHL
Rory Kerins/Jaromir Pytlik played with LeGuerrier with the Soo
Mercer/Lapierre/Rochette/Dufour played with RHP/Houde with the Sags
Gage Goncalves (passed over last draft)/Ronan Seeley played with Fairbrother/Fonstad

there's also Pavel Gogolev who played with Hillis but I'm not sure what to make of him, if we should draft him or not.

Habitant le colon

Un partisan
Feb 6, 2008
another planet

On a more serious note, I can see the attraction about this player. His skating is supposed to be Coffey-like, but I read also that his shot is a bit of a muffin. If we pick him, I hope that he works on it and makes it into a strength.
no not this time but i will laugh gladly !!

Habitant le colon

Un partisan
Feb 6, 2008
another planet

Sanderson is such a smooth piece, with Romanov Struble Mete Leskinen, that we can't miss to complete our team with a brand-new top 4LD.

Sanderson Juulsen
Romanov Petry
Mete Weber
Chiarot Fleury
Leskinen Brook
Olofsson Lamarche
Alzner Ouellet

14 def two pro-league ... depth that's what it is ! And if we keep Kulak we can send Fleury down and have 15 guys, but We need forward depth too.

Now i wonder if Poirier, Barron, Dufour or other Q guy are gonna make it this time!!

phillytennis

Mar 4, 2012
Sanderson is such a smooth piece, with Romanov Struble Mete Leskinen, that we can't miss to complete our team with a brand-new top 4LD.

Sanderson Juulsen
Romanov Petry
Mete Weber
Chiarot Fleury
Leskinen Brook
Olofsson Lamarche
Alzner Ouellet

14 def two pro-league ... depth that's what it is ! And if we keep Kulak we can send Fleury down and have 15 guys, but We need forward depth too.

Now i wonder if Poirier, Barron, Dufour or other Q guy are gonna make it this time!!

Sanderson... average skater.... average pivots.... average offensively... above average defensively.
We are better picking off Holtz, Rossi,
Perfetti, Stutzle, Drysdale, Raymond... even prefer Quinn over Sanderson.

McGees

Jun 15, 2016
Sanderson... average skater.... average pivots.... average offensively... above average defensively.
I don't think you've actually watched him. He is WAY above average skater and ELITE defensively. Offensively average yes but definite upside as he turned it on the 2nd half of season.

Reactions: Vachon23

JeffreyLFC

Sep 29, 2017
Going by your logic Crosby is above average skater. Average defensively. Above average offensively. Average shot.

Reactions: Vachon23

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
With Suzuki, Caufield, Kotka and Ylonen we are really thin on forward prospects/young forwards with offensive upside. As of now we badly need to hit on at least 3 of the 4 if we don't land a skilled forward in this draft especially more so if next year ends up being a weaker draft.

I do wonder if we will be in on some teammates of our prospects, ones I wouldn't mind taking a flyer on,

Maxim Groshev, played with Khisamutdinov in the KHL
Oliver Suni/Tyler Tullio, played with McShane
Danil Gushchin played with Pitlick in the USHL
Rory Kerins/Jaromir Pytlik played with LeGuerrier with the Soo
Mercer/Lapierre/Rochette/Dufour played with RHP/Houde with the Sags
Gage Goncalves (passed over last draft)/Ronan Seeley played with Fairbrother/Fonstad

there's also Pavel Gogolev who played with Hillis but I'm not sure what to make of him, if we should draft him or not.

All of them interesting options. In my draft sim, I've gotten Dufour every time.

In a few of them, when available, I've taken Tullio, Pytlik, Goncalves. And in one of my lottery sims, Habs fell back 3 spots to 11th, and I took Lapierre.

SOLR

Jun 4, 2006
Toronto / North York
I don't think you've actually watched him. He is WAY above average skater and ELITE defensively. Offensively average yes but definite upside as he turned it on the 2nd half of season.

I think Schneider has all the tools of Sanderson, but he's far superior offensively...

Pompeius Magnus

May 18, 2014
Kanata ,ON
Sanderson's ultimate offensive upside might be somewhat ambiguous at the moment but his skating certainly isn't. He moves like Petry out there, his stride is both smooth and very powerful .

Reactions: Gains

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
If you want a franchise defenseman that can defend and lead your team for 15+ years then Jake Sanderson should be at the top of your list. Nothing fancy about him just plain dominance defensively and simple effective play offensively.

I'm high on Sanderson as well but I think that's what the Habs thought they had when they drafted Fisher? Personally, I hope he goes before we pick so a guy like Holtz slips to us. I actually hope Sanderson and Askarov get taken before our pick (if we pick 8th).

With our luck, Askarov will be BPA at 8th. Depending on where we pick and who is still on the board, this year's pick is the one I would consider trading. 8th-12th OA for Brodin (with contract extension). I'd do it

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Potential 2nd round targets...

- Tyson Foester (C). His 80 pts as a 18 year old lead the Colts by a wide margin!

- Martin Chromiak (LW/RW). Started the year slow in the Slovak league but made his way over to the OHL where he had 33 pts in 28 games as a 17 year old. His +/- was respectable compare to others on his team. #2 OA pick in the 2019 Euro draft

Last edited:

calder candidate

Feb 25, 2003
Montreal
Visit site

I don’t think people are sleeping on him but it isn’t as sexy of a pick also none of these guy are 100% and what if the Fw is the next Pasternak... I think we have a better shot at finding a elite D at 39/40 than we do at finding a elite FW and you have a better shot at finding both at 8th but if you have two guys with similar star potential and similar odds of reaching their potential, than picking the Fw might be the way to go and since the lack of offensive punch is our biggest weakness by far for years I can also see why people are more excited about prospect that could address that need.

Simarino

Oct 21, 2009
Potential 2nd round targets...

- Tyson Foester (C). His 80 pts as a 18 year old lead the Colts by a wide margin!

- Martin Chromiak (LW/RW). Started the year slow in the Slovak league but made his way over to the OHL where he had 33 pts in 28 games as a 17 year old. His +/- was respectable compare to others on his team. #2 OA pick in the 2019 Euro draft

It seems like Foerster is the new Sanderson, he was a second round pick at best on every list 2 months ago, now he’s in the 1st round in almost every list, i doubt he’s gonna be available at 39.

Reactions: TooLegitToQuit
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad