2020 Entry Draft Thread Part 6

Status
Not open for further replies.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
It seems like Foerster is the new Sanderson, he was a second round pick at best on every list 2 months ago, now he’s in the 1st round in almost every list, i doubt he’s gonna be available at 39.

Ty Dellandrea was like that. Early 2nd round guy and Stars took him 13th. We will see where Foerster gets taken.

I like Sanderson but not the type I would be going after with our 8th OA.

Vachon23

Oct 14, 2015
Victoriaville
I don’t think people are sleeping on him but it isn’t as sexy of a pick also none of these guy are 100% and what if the Fw is the next Pasternak... I think we have a better shot at finding a elite D at 39/40 than we do at finding a elite FW and you have a better shot at finding both at 8th but if you have two guys with similar star potential and similar odds of reaching their potential, than picking the Fw might be the way to go and since the lack of offensive punch is our biggest weakness by far for years I can also see why people are more excited about prospect that could address that need.

I don’t see any game changer forward at 8th except if one of the swed drops so go with the stud 1st pair defenseman

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
I’m pretty much content with all of the possibilities of the top 10 ranked players except Askarov.

Askarov is a top ten talent and one of the best goalie prospects I've ever seen. That being said, I agree with this sentiment.. I can't deal with another 15 years of a superstar goalie propping up a team that needs to be better in all facets and feeding complete inaction on the managerial side because "anything can happen with a goalie like X"

Le Barron de HF

Justin make me proud
Mar 12, 2008
Shawinigan
Draft based off Pronman's list:

(8) Yaroslav Askarov (or Marco Rossi as his next name)
(39) Justin Sourdif
(40) Lukas Cormier
(61) Joel Blomqvist (or Ryan O'Rourke as the next name)
(70) Daniil Gutik
(89) Kasper Puutio
(98) Adam Wislby
(101) Bogdan Trineyev
(105) Oskar Magnusson

With Wheeler's list:

(8) Jamie Drysdale
(39) Daniil Guschin
(40) Brendan Brisson
(61) Ryan Francis
(70) Zayde Wisdom
(89) Nico Daws (or Logan Morrison as the next name)
(98) Brandon Coe
(101) Brock Faber
(105) Donovan Sebrango

Which drafts would you prefer?

Reactions: Blame the referee

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015

(39) Justin Sourdif
(40) Lukas Cormier
(70) Daniil Gutik
(89) Kasper Puutio
(98) Adam Wislby
(101) Bogdan Trineyev
(105) Oskar Magnusson

With Wheeler's list:

(8) Jamie Drysdale
(39) Daniil Guschin
(40) Brendan Brisson
(61) Ryan Francis
(70) Zayde Wisdom
(98) Brandon Coe
(101) Brock Faber
(105) Donovan Sebrango

Wheelers mostly because of Drysdale.

ZUKI

I hate the haters...
Oct 23, 2003
montreal
Sanderson... average skater.... average pivots.... average offensively... above average defensively.
We are better picking off Holtz, Rossi,
Perfetti, Stutzle, Drysdale, Raymond... even prefer Quinn over Sanderson.
"Sanderson is an excellent skater in all directions. He owns a powerful stride and only needs a few to reach top speed" - The Draft Analyst

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018

(39) Justin Sourdif
(40) Lukas Cormier
(70) Daniil Gutik
(89) Kasper Puutio
(98) Adam Wislby
(101) Bogdan Trineyev
(105) Oskar Magnusson

With Wheeler's list:

(8) Jamie Drysdale
(39) Daniil Guschin
(40) Brendan Brisson
(61) Ryan Francis
(70) Zayde Wisdom
(98) Brandon Coe
(101) Brock Faber
(105) Donovan Sebrango

I take Wheeler's for Drysdale and Coe

McGees

Jun 15, 2016
I'm high on Sanderson as well but I think that's what the Habs thought they had when they drafted Fisher? Personally, I hope he goes before we pick so a guy like Holtz slips to us. I actually hope Sanderson and Askarov get taken before our pick (if we pick 8th).

With our luck, Askarov will be BPA at 8th. Depending on where we pick and who is still on the board, this year's pick is the one I would consider trading. 8th-12th OA for Brodin (with contract extension). I'd do it
Fischer didn’t develop because of his desire to not his skill set. Sanderson is seen as a leader, I wouldn’t compare them.

McGees

Jun 15, 2016
I don’t think people are sleeping on him but it isn’t as sexy of a pick also none of these guy are 100% and what if the Fw is the next Pasternak... I think we have a better shot at finding a elite D at 39/40 than we do at finding a elite FW and you have a better shot at finding both at 8th but if you have two guys with similar star potential and similar odds of reaching their potential, than picking the Fw might be the way to go and since the lack of offensive punch is our biggest weakness by far for years I can also see why people are more excited about prospect that could address that need.
I’m cool with a forward if it is the RIGHT forward.

JeffreyLFC

Sep 29, 2017
I think Schneider has all the tools of Sanderson, but he's far superior offensively...
Except the skating part is in landslide in favor of Jake Sanderson, also first pass, shutdown ability. Finally Schneider is not far superior offensively, this is laughable. They are both very safe defender that don't take unnecessary risk but Sanderson actually like to join the rush and carry the puck more often than Schneider (Being a superior skater help). I really like Schneider, he reminds me of Noah Juulsen, very safe, not flashy but not very fast. Still a very good player though. Also physically, they are almost one year apart as Schneider is late birthday.

Reactions: Vachon23

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Fischer didn’t develop because of his desire to not his skill set. Sanderson is seen as a leader, I wouldn’t compare them.

Not a player/player comparison. Just more of a comment on projection of value. Sanderson looks good yes and I like him too but I see a lot of tire pumping for a leader. I would have my targets on other assets

If you are going to go BPA solely... Draft Askarov. I know, another goalie.

Last edited:

JeffreyLFC

Sep 29, 2017
Fischer is nothing like Sanderson... it's like comparing Shea Weber to Patrick Traverse.

Fischer was all potential and nothing else. He was playing high school hockey, he was tall, great skater but very weak physically, he was not good defensively and he was (from what I've read) a bit full of himself. Sanderson could not be further appart in term of their pre draft projection.

Reactions: Vachon23

JeffreyLFC

Sep 29, 2017
Ian Moore is more of a comparable to David Fischer: High school defenseman, Tall, Offensive, Lean not developed but he is probably smarter than Fischer ever was as he is committed to Harvard. And from all accounts, Moore is supposed to be drafted with a mid to late draft pick.

SOLR

Jun 4, 2006
Toronto / North York
Except the skating part is in landslide in favor of Jake Sanderson, also first pass, shutdown ability. Finally Schneider is not far superior offensively, this is laughable. They are both very safe defender that don't take unnecessary risk but Sanderson actually like to join the rush and carry the puck more often than Schneider (Being a superior skater help). I really like Schneider, he reminds me of Noah Juulsen, very safe, not flashy but not very fast. Still a very good player though. Also physically, they are almost one year apart as Schneider is late birthday.

I think you are missing the part where you compare the strength of their competition. Schneider if slower than Sanderson, it's not by a lot. Schneider is far superior offensively in all aspects, carrying, first pass, wrist shot etc. (See Hlinka for a demo). You don't know Schneider if you compare him to Juulsen, plain and simple. Character and size-wise they are not in the same family.

Sanderson is playing against non-nhl talent, he would look good even if he didn't try based on his genetics. Another USDP hype train (the list is becoming long), this time at the U18 level! Then 14 games in the USHL (WHL > USHL). We have zero scaling information while we've seen Schneider anchor the first pairing at Hlinka. He might be good but its a significant bet with very little information. Sure you can point to his year younger, but that's a lot of risk to discount.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Pretty much exclusively because of Drysdale :laugh:

Guys I think the Habs need (forget BPA for a second)... Lafreniere, Stutzle, Byfield, Drysdale, Holtz, Raymond. If we are able to get Drysdale or Holtz, that would be ideal for me. Hopefully someone takes Sanderson and Askarov before us.

We probably end up with Rossi... 5'-9". Makes total sense

Last edited:
Reactions: dralaf

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Fischer is nothing like Sanderson... it's like comparing Shea Weber to Patrick Traverse.

Fischer was all potential and nothing else. He was playing high school hockey, he was tall, great skater but very weak physically, he was not good defensively and he was (from what I've read) a bit full of himself. Sanderson could not be further appart in term of their pre draft projection.

Not the point but go with it if you want. The point was taking Sanderson cause he is a leader is not a reason why I would use my pick on him. I rather target other players. We already have our Sanderson... his name is Romanov and we got him in the 2nd round

Sanderson would be another Kotkaniemi type pick. Not that I hate taking Kotkaniemi with our 3rd two drafts ago but I rather go after other targets this time around. Now do you get the point?

philipsson

Jan 12, 2014
Tried the simulator, got pushed back to 9th

Holtz/Reichel/Barron/Kuznetsov/Evangelista/Cuylle

I'd like that. Thing is, that 2nd round is looking really good imo. And we have 3 picks there so it looks great.

Also, if Jarvis slips past 20, please try to grab this guy.

Reactions: Frank JT

Vachon23

Oct 14, 2015
Victoriaville
Not the point but go with it if you want. The point was taking Sanderson cause he is a leader is not a reason why I would use my pick on him. I rather target other players. We already have our Sanderson... his name is Romanov and we got him in the 2nd round

Sanderson would be another Kotkaniemi type pick. Not that I hate taking Kotkaniemi with our 3rd two drafts ago but I rather go after other targets this time around. Now do you get the point?

Sanderson as way more potential then Romanov

Vachon23

Oct 14, 2015
Victoriaville
How can you say that when you know what Romanov has accomplished from 17-20 while Sanderson is 17 and he has not even played one NCAA game yet?

On there skill set. For me Romanov is a #4 who will play 18-20 minutes and Sanderson is a futur 1st pair who will play 23 minutes and more

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
On there skill set. For me Romanov is a #4 who will play 18-20 minutes and Sanderson is a futur 1st pair who will play 23 minutes and more

I think you are deflating Romanov's potential and pumping Sanderson's. If Sanderson at 17 is a projected 1st pair, So is Romanov at 20. Sanderson developing like Romanov is yet to be seen.

Sanderson is a late mover for sure and I do value him a lot. I'm just not willing to drool over him like that just yet. Just cause he is young, it don't mean he takes massive steps forward in his age 18, 19, 20 development seasons. Possible yes. You are talking about an evaluation on Sanderson from age 15-17 and trying to project that forward with guess work. Think Byram pre draft and today... and I was very very high on Byram pre-draft. Today? Still high but not the same hype.

Last edited:
Reactions: dralaf and SOLR
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad