2020 Entry Draft Thread Part 6

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrNasty

Jun 13, 2007
Nova Scotia
I'm super confident. It's a weak draft at the top end for defenseman and just like C's they tend to get 'over-drafted' vs. their winger counterparts.
I forget where I read it recently but based on previous drafts there was evidence that defensemen are traditionally undervalued compared to forwards.
A higher percentage of impact defensemen (top 4) are drafted in rounds 2-3 compared to impact forwards.

Maybe they are just harder to project or maybe teams look for centers and flashy wingers in the first round. I get the value of centers but I tend to think that top 4 d-men are undervalued in drafts compared to wingers and especially in draft rankings despite them eventually playing 20+ minutes and being incredibly important on the team.

Reactions: DramaticGloveSave

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
You can get away with playing your off-wing/weak-side at the lower levels and in the offensive zone but it’s really hard to effectively defend in your own zone if you are not on your strong side in the NHL. It’s great if any of the guys can swap over if needed but ideally they are put into positions to succeed.

I'm not worried about Romanov or Harris at RD at all, they look as good at RD as they do LD and for Romanov that's in the KHL. Norlinder we'll see if he's at RD or not in the SHL and if so then we will have a better feel. Either way I wouldn't go out of my way to get a RD but with 14 picks odds are good we grab one or two at the very least.

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
I forget where I read it recently but based on previous drafts there was evidence that defensemen are traditionally undervalued compared to forwards.
A higher percentage of impact defensemen (top 4) are drafted in rounds 2-3 compared to impact forwards.

Maybe they are just harder to project or maybe teams look for centers and flashy wingers in the first round. I get the value of centers but I tend to think that top 4 d-men are undervalued in drafts compared to wingers and especially in draft rankings despite them eventually playing 20+ minutes and being incredibly important on the team.

I'm talking about draft position only. Traditionally yes, there are lots of high value defenseman found deeper in drafts.

It's like half way between a center and a goalie as far as projection. Defenders take longer to develop so you should draft on traits not current structure.

Reactions: SOLR

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
I’d do it, Drysdale is probably my 2nd overall player and fills a huge organizational need as a true #1 RD post Weber.

The Habs already have the ideal LD partners for Drysdale in the system - Chiarot to start then Romanov or Harris.

Drafting Drysdale would also probably prevent a contract extension for Petry which would be a massive mistake.

Supersonic

May 27, 2013
Ontario
I'm not worried about Romanov or Harris at RD at all, they look as good at RD as they do LD and for Romanov that's in the KHL. Norlinder we'll see if he's at RD or not in the SHL and if so then we will have a better feel. Either way I wouldn't go out of my way to get a RD but with 14 picks odds are good we grab one or two at the very least.

With the Habs having 14 picks and already so many kids in the system do you predict them trading up and trading for future picks heavily this draft?

Please correct if I’m wrong but if we actually take 14 picks this year won’t that be a disaster from a player/contract management standpoint. I get that we would have so many players to pick to sign but why not try to roll some of that up (for players you like) or for next year (to keep a bounty of picks rolling again in 2021)

Reactions: habsfan891

McGees

Jun 15, 2016
With the Habs having 14 picks and already so many kids in the system do you predict them trading up and trading for future picks heavily this draft?

Please correct if I’m wrong but if we actually take 14 picks this year won’t that be a disaster from a player/contract management standpoint. I get that we would have so many players to pick to sign but why not try to roll some of that up (for players you like) or for next year (to keep a bounty of picks rolling again in 2021)
Ya it has been noted by many in media that there is no way they pick 14 times. Trade up, trade for future picks or trade of players is what they will do.

Reactions: habsfan891

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com

yes I highly doubt they actually make 14 picks, but MB has said he doesn't like to trade up so we'll see if he goes against that this year depending on where we end up. Another issue is trading picks this year or next year is that we already have 11 picks next year and a lot of UFA's that if say one or two tell MB they won't re-sign he'll perhaps trade them at the deadline for picks. Granted he could just get some extra picks for '21 and then in '21 trade some '21 picks for '22 picks which is already getting hyped up.

The other thing is we have 4 top 62 picks this year and only 2 next year but this year's draft seems to be touted much higher then next years draft so you don't want to trade say a 2nd or 3rd this year for a 2nd or 3rd next year if it's going to be a weaker draft.

Either way it's going to be one heck of an interesting draft. If we do end up making 14 picks, I worry about some of the posters in the draft threads passing out from over stimulation. Make sure you hydrate boys, eat proper and get a good nights sleep! :teach:

Habs Icing

Formerly Onice
Jan 17, 2004
Montreal

Naw! You're forgetting who is picking. Timmins. By this time next year they will have realized 12 of the 14 picks are not worth signing.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast

Exactly how I see us attacking team needs. I see the Habs going after high reward type picks and with how deep our prospect pool is, they would be smart to have this strategy. No safe picks required at this stage

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Naw! You're forgetting who is picking. Timmins. By this time next year they will have realized 12 of the 14 picks are not worth signing.

12/14 picks won't be re-signed?

16 Draft: 4/6 picks are signed
17 Draft: 4/7 picks are signed. Maybe 5 with Ikonen
18 Draft: 4/11 picks are signed so far. Too early to know with Olofsson, and Stapley. Harris will get a contract. Could be 5/11 or 7/11.
19 Draft: Too early. It's likely to end up being 5/10 (+/-).

So you think we only sign 2 of 14 picks in the 2020 draft? :laugh:. Exaggerating doesn't help you prove your opinions. Cloudy with Sunny periods and you got your rain jacket on

Le Barron de HF

Justin make me proud
Mar 12, 2008
Shawinigan

It was a post of mine quoting an article from The Athletic. it was posted in the Timmins thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad