2020 ECF: Tampa Bay Lightning vs. New York Islanders | TBL leads 3-2 (Pt.2)

mm11

Jan 26, 2005
Fleming island, Fl
The Bolts play stifling defense along with having supreme firepower. tough team to beat but somehow the isles are clawing back. If Point in laboring in game 6 the isles have a puncher's chance

Vasilevskiy

The cat will be back
Dec 30, 2008
Barcelona
The only reason why I suspected rib or groin because of how Pelech pinned him in game 3 and he collapsed like he couldn’t put pressure on his leg. Kucherov as well is pretty banged up and didn’t seem too much like himself after his injury scare last night. It’ll be an interesting 1/2 games to see what lineups show up tomorrow (and Saturday if necessary).

Kuch is fine. We've seen him play hundreds of times, we know when he's off his game and so far he's not. Doesn't look injured if he is.

FourRings

Mar 26, 2013
New York City
No doubt. I think he'll play so long as he can walk. Cooper doesn't want this going 7, and we're clearly a much less dangerous team when he's out of our line-up. Point at 70% is still our best center, apparently.
Yeah, he’s a huge loss. I just wonder how effective he will be. He had a really rough time getting over the boards and skating after that Pelech hit. He’s got a problem with his hip/hip flexor. It looked really bad G4.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
The only reason why I suspected rib or groin because of how Pelech pinned him in game 3 and he collapsed like he couldn’t put pressure on his leg. Kucherov as well is pretty banged up and didn’t seem too much like himself after his injury scare last night. It’ll be an interesting 1/2 games to see what lineups show up tomorrow (and Saturday if necessary).

By late in the game, I thought Kuch was back to himself. He was attacking the Isles' D, which is always a good sign with him. Kucherov can become too predictable by trying to be unpredictable all the time, which leads to all the extra passes and flinging the puck on net from weird angles (this often works though). When he's really on his game, he sometimes tries to go straight through the defender.

The Point injury is a weird one. One he got up, he looked labored, but I wouldn't quite call it limping. Groin injuries can be tricky (I suspect this is what's up with Stamkos), and sometimes they're more about an ability to lift your leg rather than put weight on it. And maybe that's why he looked "labored." But he might also have just been in pain. It's a tough one to read. But throughout Game 4, he looked uncomfortable, but not all that much slower. Maybe 5%-10%?

I think/hope we held him out of the last game because of the lead we had. Like, even with a loss, we'd still be ahead, which wasn't the case in Game 3 when he was held out. We're a different team when he's in the line-up, obviously.

BMOK33

Oct 5, 2005
The Bolts play stifling defense along with having supreme firepower. tough team to beat but somehow the isles are clawing back. If Point in laboring in game 6 the isles have a puncher's chance

I feel the only way the Isles win this series is Varlamov becoming 2010 Halak and or Vas turning into a pumpkin

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Yeah, he’s a huge loss. I just wonder how effective he will be. He had a really rough time getting over the boards and skating after that Pelech hit. He’s got a problem with his hip/hip flexor. It looked really bad G4.

He had surgery on both hips last year, so that's troubling if true. We're hoping it's something else, but chances are it's a hip...

Whatever the case, we really need him to go. Cirelli's also not playing at 100% (yesterday was the first game where he's actually looked pretty fast), so we're down our top two centers, and the guy who takes over 1C duties is about 80% as effective as what we're used to, if that. Definitely a big problem, and nobody should be counting NYI out yet.

BMOK33

Oct 5, 2005
He had surgery on both hips last year, so that's troubling if true. We're hoping it's something else, but chances are it's a hip...

Whatever the case, we really need him to go. Cirelli's also not playing at 100% (yesterday was the first game where he's actually looked pretty fast), so we're down our top two centers, and the guy who takes over 1C duties is about 80% as effective as what we're used to, if that. Definitely a big problem, and nobody should be counting NYI out yet.

At the end of the day this is why I don’t like small players like Point or Skinner. They can sometimes come in blazing but league will adjust after a few seasons. See Skinner for example who reinvented his game once opposing teams solved him and now is a legit top player again. Smaller guys will always suffer more injuries and breakdown. All that said I would take Point on the Islanders any time

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
At the end of the day this is why I don’t like small players like Point or Skinner. They can sometimes come in blazing but league will adjust after a few seasons. See Skinner for example who reinvented his game once opposing teams solved him and now is a legit top player again. Smaller guys will always suffer more injuries and breakdown. All that said I would take Point on the Islanders any time

I think there are pros and cons. A lot of smaller players have longer careers because there are certain injuries (bad backs) that tend to hit larger players a little bit disproportionately.

Point plays a throwback style. He looks like late 90s Steve Yzerman--the skills of a finesse player, but the attitude of a grinder. He's pretty fearless in traffic. Maybe that doesn't bode well for his longevity. For right now, we need somebody who can play that way. As good as Palat and Kucherov look, every other center on the team is currently an anchor.

wingnutks

Nov 17, 2011
100% this. When I saw him crawling over the boards using his shins instead of throwing one leg over and then the other, I immediately thought hip. I was actually surprised he came back in game 4.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
100% this. When I saw him crawling over the boards using his shins instead of throwing one leg over and then the other, I immediately thought hip. I was actually surprised he came back in game 4.

He was very effective in that game though.

c9777666

Aug 31, 2016
I feel the only way the Isles win this series is Varlamov becoming 2010 Halak and or Vas turning into a pumpkin

Which would be incredibly ironic for Varlamov was the opposing goalie against Halak

U55

Apr 9, 2019
Tampa, Florida
It seems the lightning outplay the islanders even with point out, but the lightning don't finish as well without point, so this series is up for grabs. No excuses, either win or go home, injuries are something every team has to deal with.

Reactions: GrandmaSlices51631

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
Maybe that guy was right about size. We cant ever seem to get through the Stanley cup tournament without one of our best players being hurt. Its like we are cursed or maybe we just choose too small of lineups?

wingnutks

Nov 17, 2011
Maybe that guy was right about size. We cant ever seem to get through the Stanley cup tournament without one of our best players being hurt. Its like we are cursed or maybe we just choose too small of lineups?
I remember someone on here doing some research into different teams medical/training staff and there seemed to be some correlation with injuries and training staff.

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
I remember someone on here doing some research into different teams medical/training staff and there seemed to be some correlation with injuries and training staff.

The Lightning needed to get out of that game with a win because from the start I knew we didn't want to get into a long series with the islanders because their big guys could put a hurt on our small guys and they have. Longer it goes the more it favors teams like the islanders. Get that next game I would bet on the islanders coming back to win game 7.

Sgooter

Dec 4, 2014
After last season, Point underwent labral repair surgery on both hips. Wonder if he's had a recurrence of this injury? Sure hope not...could impact his career.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 6
    Staked: $6,201.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,447.00