2020 ECF: Tampa Bay Lightning vs. New York Islanders | TBL leads 3-2 (Pt.2)

YearlyLottery

The Pooch Report
Feb 7, 2013
South Carolina
I personally don't see Isles winning this series, but Tampa better watch themselves because they should've ended this in game 5. They are putting themselves in a position similar to the Isles-Philly series where they are going to take a beating when the other team is well rested and waiting for them.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Maybe that guy was right about size. We cant ever seem to get through the Stanley cup tournament without one of our best players being hurt. Its like we are cursed or maybe we just choose too small of lineups?

Yeah, but one of those key injuries was to Hedman.

Kimota

ROY DU NORD!!!
Nov 4, 2005
Les Plaines D'Abraham
I think the Isles play heavy and in my opinion even in the NHL where speed has been accentuated in the last ten years, a good size team on the long run can become a shore to a smaller team . And the Blues were an example of that. Except when there is an x factor and that was Brendan Point. With his drive, he gave his team another dimension that trumped at any sort of style or size difference. It is similar to the Habs, when Gallagher was injured, it was over for them.

LeapOnOver

Mackenzie is a hack!
Jan 23, 2011
Iksan, S. Korea
www.leaponover.com
I honestly felt Cooper gambled feeling they were good enough to win last night, even without him. The idea probably was if they won and Point had 4 days off he would he worlds better and ready for Dallas vs only two off and maybe being banged up more. I don’t see any way he sits game 6. That said, Dallas probably has a better chance of winning now if Point truly is 40-50-60%

I thought this too, but in realization this is probably just a fans take. Any coach knows if a player can go, and he's one of your best players, you play him. So I think Cooper will play anybody who is ready to go to make it to the finals.

serp

Jan 17, 2016
I thought this too, but in realization this is probably just a fans take. Any coach knows if a player can go, and he's one of your best players, you play him. So I think Cooper will play anybody who is ready to go to make it to the finals.

I don't think this is even entirely Coopers decision or even Points but the medical staffs or at least it should be.

Sentinel

May 26, 2009
New Jersey
www.vvinenglish.com
So a choker is any team that doesnt win the cup? Or just any team that goes far and doesnt win the cup?

3 of those times they lost to the eventual cup champion. Clearly, a bunch of choking losers
Any team that goes in as a heavy favorite and doesn't win the Cup is a bunch of choking losers. Also known as "Tampa Bay Lightning."

If they don't win this year, Wikipedia might as well change the entry.

Master P

Mar 31, 2016
Florida
Any team that goes in as a heavy favorite and doesn't win the Cup is a bunch of choking losers. Also known as "Tampa Bay Lightning."

Says who? you? Don't make me laugh.

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009

Well ill say this we may be chokers but at least we are almost perennial a ecf team. While we tend to lose while we are here we at least get that opportunity to do it often. As painful as it is to lose at this stage (this one has potential to be worst yet) id rather get to this stage than not at all. At least we get that opportunity and excitement until that stab in the heart. Hope we dont get that stab in the heart again. The next time we get to this stage if we do, it won't be as exciting because its almost like guarantee heart stabbing. Its getting there..

LeapOnOver

Mackenzie is a hack!
Jan 23, 2011
Iksan, S. Korea
www.leaponover.com
I don't think this is even entirely Coopers decision or even Points but the medical staffs or at least it should be.

Well that's implied. The medical staff gives him clearance and then Point has to decide how he feels and Cooper has to decide if he looks good enough to play. Both those decisions happen after medical clearance, imo. If he's not medically cleared...then there is no discussion to be had.

I was more discussing the mindset after that necessary step.

serp

Jan 17, 2016
Well that's implied. The medical staff gives him clearance and then Point has to decide how he feels and Cooper has to decide if he looks good enough to play. Both those decisions happen after medical clearance, imo. If he's not medically cleared...then there is no discussion to be had.

If Cooper truely rested Point in game 5 when he could've played then he f***ed up as much as Bowness did when he put in Bishop for Game 5 against the Avs in round 2 imho.

SirClintonPortis

ProudCapitalsTraitor
Mar 9, 2011
Maryland native

Sometimes medical clearances are not granted with full independence. There’s a lot of pressure to achieve the end game for the team at the expense of the player. Sometimes it takes guts for the team, coach, etc to shut a player down.

Reactions: LeapOnOver

SirClintonPortis

ProudCapitalsTraitor
Mar 9, 2011
Maryland native
I personally don't see Isles winning this series, but Tampa better watch themselves because they should've ended this in game 5. They are putting themselves in a position similar to the Isles-Philly series where they are going to take a beating when the other team is well rested and waiting for them.
The real problem with not finishing the Isles last game is that they are giving Tyler Seguin rest for him to heal up. Tyler Seguin is usually a problem for them, historically.

A rested Stars team versus a Tampa team hanging on by an injured Brayden Point will be a great equalizer, at least for the first couple games.

Novak Djokovic

#24 and counting... #GOAT
Dec 10, 2006
Well, it's hard when your best player is out. 3-0 with him, 0-2 without. Hopefully get it done in G6.

BMOK33

Oct 5, 2005

My friend with psychic abilities said the Isles win 5-1 tonight and then in a 2-2 game in game 7 they score the winning goal with 1:03 left in regulation. I'll revisit tomorrow to see if he is right.

BTO

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 20, 2019
The Big Smoke (unfortunately)
What's going on with the scheduling here NHL?
You have game 6 on Thurs, then game 7 on Sat. I mean, that's even like logical!
Why not just play game 6 on Thurs aft, and game 7 on Thurs night, then you can start the Final at noon on Friday?
You know, like the incoherent scheduling you threw out for every other series?

LightningStrikes

Champa Bay Lightning
Nov 24, 2009
That looked more like groin or hip based on anything. I'm going to go with hip more then groin. Pelech pinned him and barely lifted his right leg up. He collapsed right after that.
Point had double hip surgery after last year’s playoffs. He came back fully healthy and flying this season and put up MVP performances in Stamkos’ absence in this year’s playoffs.

If it’s really a hip injury I’m worried. Not just for our current run but long term for his career.

Groin seems more likely though as he returned to play between sitting out as you have pointed out.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->