2020 ECF: Tampa Bay Lightning vs. New York Islanders | TBL leads 3-2 (Pt.2)

JayDog16

Jan 19, 2019
Chelios: 948 points in 1651 RS games, 144 points in 266 PO games, 7x 1AST & 2AST, 3x Norris winner.
Leetch: 1028 points in 1205 RS games, 97 points in 95 PO games, 5x 1AST & 2AST, 2x Norris winner.
Hedman: 473 points in 762 RS games, 48 points in 84 PO games, 5x 1AST & 2AST, 1x Norris winner. And he is in his prime, so his PPG will drop, like they do for everybody.

Not even close indeed.

Points is your main measurement of a defenseman? Leetch was a forward who happened to play defense. Chelios played at a time when everybody was scoring a ton. Sorry, the way Hedman is playing right now, he's better.

Leetch and Chelios were all-time greats btw. I'm not arguing they weren't.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Chelios: 948 points in 1651 RS games, 144 points in 266 PO games, 7x 1AST & 2AST, 3x Norris winner.
Leetch: 1028 points in 1205 RS games, 97 points in 95 PO games, 5x 1AST & 2AST, 2x Norris winner.
Hedman: 473 points in 762 RS games, 48 points in 84 PO games, 5x 1AST & 2AST, 1x Norris winner. And he is in his prime, so his PPG will drop, like they do for everybody.

Not even close indeed.

Hedman is above that tier, IMO. Those were great defensemen, but Hedman in the last couple of years has risen to at least Leetch's level, but I think he's a bit above. I mean, when you look at Hedman's last four years offensively (although he's been a monster since at least the 2015 playoffs), and consider that he's put up those numbers while playing elite level defense, in this current era (as opposed to pre-DPE), it's a bit insane.

He's beginning to climb the historic ladder, IMO. I mean, when you compare the award voting, which shows how a player ranked against his era, Hedman's already stacking up pretty well before his 30th birthday.

Sentinel

May 26, 2009
New Jersey
www.vvinenglish.com
Points is your main measurement of a defenseman? Leetch was a forward who happened to play defense. Chelios played at a time when everybody was scoring a ton. Sorry, the way Hedman is playing right now, he's better.

Leetch and Chelios were all-time greats btw. I'm not arguing they weren't.
Chelios played for 26 years. Including all of DPE. Whatever.
"Forward who happened to play defense"? That's cute. :rolleyes:

Hedman is above that tier, IMO. Those were great defensemen, but Hedman in the last couple of years has risen to at least Leetch's level, but I think he's a bit above. I mean, when you look at Hedman's last four years offensively (although he's been a monster since at least the 2015 playoffs), and consider that he's put up those numbers while playing elite level defense, in this current era (as opposed to pre-DPE), it's a bit insane.

He's beginning to climb the historic ladder, IMO. I mean, when you compare the award voting, which shows how a player ranked against his era, Hedman's already stacking up pretty well before his 30th birthday.
He has a grand total of ONE NORRIS. No, he is not "stacking up" anywhere near them and he is not "above that tier." He lost to friggin' Mike Giordano.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Chelios played for 26 years. Including all of DPE. Whatever.
"Forward who happened to play defense"? That's cute. :rolleyes:

He has a grand total of ONE NORRIS. No, he is not "stacking up" anywhere near them and he is not "above that tier." He lost to friggin' Mike Giordano.

So that Nicklas Lidstrom guy must not have been on their tier either before he won his second Norris?

Yeah, one Norris, but he's already matched Leetch's number in #1AS teams. And he's still in his prime--this is the best hockey he's ever played. He's not gonna turn 30 and suddenly put up 35 points/year because, well, he's 30 now. It will be a little bit more gradual than that. And right now there's nobody in the league who dominates at both ends this consistently.

He sure did lose to Giordano. And then the playoffs started.

Reactions: mrjiggyfly

Sentinel

May 26, 2009
New Jersey
www.vvinenglish.com
So that Nicklas Lidstrom guy must not have been on their tier either before he won his second Norris?

Yeah, one Norris, but he's already matched Leetch's number in #1AS teams. And he's still in his prime--this is the best hockey he's ever played. He's not gonna turn 30 and suddenly put up 35 points/year because, well, he's 30 now. It will be a little bit more gradual than that. And right now there's nobody in the league who dominates at both ends this consistently.

He sure did lose to Giordano. And then the playoffs started.
Last year playoffs also happened. You may remember the outcome.

Of course Lidstrom wasn't on the level of Leetch and Chelios before he got to the level of Leetch and Chelios! That's a ridiculous thing to say.

We will see how Hedman ages, but his prime is not on their level. And he plays on a team that's much, MUCH better than the teams that most of Leetch's and Chelios's careers were spent on. His point count should be much higher than it is.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Last year playoffs also happened. You may remember the outcome.

Of course Lidstrom wasn't on the level of Leetch and Chelios before he got to the level of Leetch and Chelios! That's a ridiculous thing to say.

We will see how Hedman ages, but his prime is not on their level. And he plays on a team that's much, MUCH better than the teams that most of Leetch's and Chelios's careers were spent on. His point count should be much higher than it is.
Lidstrom was the best player on those Wings' teams from almost the time he arrived. He didn't get the recognition he deserved until much later. So yes, he was on the level of Chelios and Leetch long before he started piling up Norris trophies.

As for last year's playoffs, you might have missed the part where Hedman was concussed late in the regular season and wouldn't have played any games if TB hadn't been desperate. And, given our performance in those games, it kind of strengthens the case for how important Hedman is to the team.

As for his prime not being on their level, that's just kind of laughable. I'm gonna guess you haven't watched more than a TB game here and there. What he's doing right now is very rare.

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
Cause Tampa won like 50 straight games against the wings or something absurd like that.

Lol I think all hockey fans can relate to this. Especially when you have had the same team beat you repeatedly. A hatred grows and rightfully so. In the playoffs that gets magnified real quick. Makes it great!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad