2020 ECF: Tampa Bay Lightning vs. New York Islanders | TBL leads 3-2 (Pt.2)

Konk

Mar 11, 2008
I stand corrected! Thank you sir! I really couldn't remember but now that you brought it up... I do remember me bringing up his 40+ goal season and then he conceded that Point is the better goal scorer and Barzal is better overall at everything else (playmaking, passing, possession, stick handling, etc...) lol

He's wrong and now you're following the other morons who can't read. This is what I said:

I don't think one is clearly better than the other. Point was drafted with skating as his biggest weakness and he's improved that immensely. Barzal was weak defensively when he was drafted and has improved that immensely as well. I think where Point is clearly better is the goal scoring/faceoffs and where Barzal is clearly better is skating/puck carrying/playmaking. I would give the slight edge to Point overall defensively, but Barzal is not a slouch at all like some make him out to be. He's not far behind and both have Selke potential in the future.

Both are #1C's and great young players.

Not a single Islander fan said Barzal was the better overall player and I never said he was either. I said he was better in three areas, but clearly Point is proving that doesn't equate a better player overall. There is a hell of a lot more to hockey than those three aspects. Point's willingness to drive to the net and middle of the ice and his tenacity is something Barzal has not done consistently in his career and he needs to in order to take the next step.

The real reason I haven't posted isn't about the Islanders losing, I actually expected them to. It's the fact that Tampa fans are making shit up and acting as if anyone said Barzal was the better player. I got dinged by the mods in the G1 GDT for criticising Florida education. It's a fact actually, Florida has terrible education and some people on this board are proof of that. Not a single poster stated that Barzal was better overall or "better at everything else" and Tampa fans could never quote anyone's post that stated such as proof to back up their stupid claims. It's not just one or two, it's a dozen morons who having reading comprehension deficiencies.

My original argument was that they weren't far off from one another overall and Barzal isnt behind Point in every aspect like Tampa fans were obnoxiously claiming and actually he was better in certain areas. Does that make Barzal better overall? Clearly not. He's also clearly not playing as well as Point has in this series who is taking it to another level so far in these playoffs. We know. One series doesn't make a career though. That said, Point clearly has the edge right now.

Tampa fans have somehow become more intolerable than Leaf fans lately.

Volodya Krutov

Lost Cosmonaut
Jan 18, 2012
As a Tampa fan you guys are way too harsh with Barzal. Point is becoming an elite player right before our eyes, one of the few (hopefully). Doesn't mean Mathew isn't nothing short of, a young, but amazing player. Matchup matters, supporting cast matters.

Last edited:
Reactions: gn2007

VoluntaryDom

Formerly DominicBoltsFan / Ⓐ / ✞
Oct 31, 2016
Tampa FL
He's wrong and now you're following the other morons who can't read. This is what I said:

Not a single Islander fan said Barzal was the better overall player and I never said he was either. I said he was better in three areas, but clearly Point is proving that doesn't equate a better player overall. There is a hell of a lot more to hockey than those three aspects. Point's willingness to drive to the net and middle of the ice and his tenacity is something Barzal has not done consistently in his career and he needs to in order to take the next step.

The real reason I haven't posted isn't about the Islanders losing, I actually expected them to. It's the fact that Tampa fans are making shit up and acting as if anyone said Barzal was the better player. I got dinged by the mods in the G1 GDT for criticising Florida education. It's a fact actually, Florida has terrible education and some people on this board are proof of that. Not a single poster stated that Barzal was better overall or "better at everything else" and Tampa fans could never quote anyone's post that stated such as proof to back up their stupid claims. It's not just one or two, it's a dozen morons who having reading comprehension deficiencies.

My original argument was that they weren't far off from one another overall and Barzal isnt behind Point in every aspect like Tampa fans were obnoxiously claiming and actually he was better in certain areas. Does that make Barzal better overall? Clearly not. He's also clearly not playing as well as Point has in this series who is taking it to another level so far in these playoffs. We know. One series doesn't make a career though. That said, Point clearly has the edge right now.

bro, point has almost triple the GAR of barzal the laat two seasons, its not even remotely close between the two

Reactions: Zwui21

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB

You're using the first post and not the second, where you listed the skills where Barzal is better. And then later you gave Point faceoffs. So yeah -- goal-scoring and faceoffs.

Konk

Mar 11, 2008
bro, point has almost triple the GAR of barzal the laat two seasons, its not even remotely close between the two
Fair enough, I think Point is proving that. I concede that argument.

But not a single Islanders poster claimed Barzal is better or better overall. There is a clear difference between my post above and that interpretation.

DistantThunderRep

Mar 8, 2018

Says Barzal is better at more aspects of hockey...continues to say "I never said Barzal is better than Point." Okay...

T REX

Feb 28, 2013

I'm a firm believer in policing your own. I'm not exactly popular on my own board for calling out my own peeps. BUT, with all do respect, Tampa fans have been tame this year. Getting swept in the 1st round will do that. Take nothing for granted. Appreciate it all. What I've seen is HYPER-sensitivity on multiple levels from multiple NYI fans. Again, frankly, "disappointed" is all I can muster.

Dozens? Way out of line bud. Do you think you are being just a tad bit overly sensitive? No one said Barzal sucks and he is obviously uber talented.

AGAIN, you have a great team with a great coach.

Leaf fans? Dude...low blow.

Konk

Mar 11, 2008
I'm a firm believer in policing your own. I'm not exactly popular on my own board for calling out my own peeps. BUT, with all do respect, Tampa fans have been tame this year. Getting swept in the 1st round will do that. Take nothing for granted. Appreciate it all. What I've seen is HYPER-sensitivity on multiple levels from multiple NYI fans. Again, frankly, "disappointed" is all I can muster.

Dozens? Way out of line bud. Do you think you are being just a tad bit overly sensitive? No one said Barzal sucks and he is obviously uber talented.

AGAIN, you have a great team with a great coach.
You must not have read a lot of the game day threads, particularly game one. And yes, I was responding to over 10 different Tampa fans that were making ridiculous claims about statements that were never made by Isles fans. It is not an exaggeration.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Fair enough, I think Point is proving that. I concede that argument.

But not a single Islanders poster claimed Barzal is better or better overall. There is a clear difference between my post above and that interpretation.

well....

"Goal scoring, ok, but then you should be able to admit Barzal is a much better playmaker, skater, and stick handler which also enables him to be a better possession player."

I'm just not sure how else to interpret this.

Konk

Mar 11, 2008
well....

I'm just not sure how else to interpret this.
Clearly Barzal is showing possession isn't everything and he's great at holding the puck and Point is better at executing a play.

This generation of fans believes possession is the be all end all to a player's ability. It's clearly not.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Clearly Barzal is showing possession isn't everything and he's great at holding the puck and Point is better at executing a play.

This generation of fans believes possession is the be all end all to a player's ability. It's clearly not.

Or...

I just think to try and act like he's above Barzal overall is a bit ridiculous. Goal scoring is about the only area you can definitively say that is true.

Doesn't look so ridiculous now.

These were the types of posts that led to mocking Barzal. Well, combined with NBC treating his secondary assists like OT hat tricks.​

Konk

Mar 11, 2008
Or...

Doesn't look so ridiculous now.​
That's fair.

But does it state Barzal is better or better overall?

You and others clearly think me suggesting Barzal was equal or similar in most areas or not far behind was somehow spelling the words "Barzal is better".

I was wrong about Barzal being at the same level. Point is clearly above in more areas than I gave credit.

Tampa fans are wrong that I said Barzal was better or better overall. You can't find those words in those posts because I never claimed it. Period.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
That's fair.

But does it state Barzal is better or better overall?

You and others clearly think me suggesting Barzal was equal or similar in most areas or not far behind was somehow spelling the words "Barzal is better".

I was wrong about Barzal being at the same level. Point is clearly above in more areas than I gave credit.

Tampa fans are wrong that I said Barzal was better or better overall. You can't find those words in those posts because I never claimed it. Period.

No, we can just find all the posts where you list skills where you believe Barzal is better, and yet somehow not nearly as effective overall. Point is a better goal-scorer, better at face-offs, and slightly better defensively. Since Point isn't exactly Alex Ovechkin in the goal-scoring department, that reads like you're saying Barzal is the better player overall, or at least better offensively, although I think you actually had them around even (despite Barzal being better at every offensive thing except goal-scoring).

You were definitely wrong about them being on the same level. And with Barzal being more/less snuffed out, fairly easily, that's gonna catch a few told ya sos. If you look at the early pages of this thread, they were pretty cordial until we started reading about all the ways Barzal was better than Point (despite not scoring at anywhere near the same level).

Last edited:

VoluntaryDom

Formerly DominicBoltsFan / Ⓐ / ✞
Oct 31, 2016
Tampa FL
kinda crazy that point hedman and kucherov are all playing at a conn smythe level right now (hedman over 80% gf% at 5v5 which blows everyone out when you weed out small samples, point blowing everyone out in EVP + near the top in GF%, kucherov the only one in point's galaxy in EVP + near the top in GF% + penalty drawing machine)

Reactions: KuchieKooRov

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
I'm telling you nbc sparked it. They were all over Barzal when it was clear that while he is the best islanders player in general he is far from the best in the series and probably not even the best player on his team this series. Nbc just gets its biased reporting going on. What's new with that?

Alan Wake

It's not a loop, it's a spiral.
Dec 14, 2017
kinda crazy that point hedman and kucherov are all playing at a conn smythe level right now (hedman over 80% gf% at 5v5 which blows everyone out when you weed out small samples, point blowing everyone out in EVP + near the top in GF%, kucherov the only one in point's galaxy in EVP + near the top in GF% + penalty drawing machine)
And then Vasilevskiy is silently putting up insane numbers. 1.93 GAA, .930%. And that's with no shutouts.
Are you freaking kidding me? Unreal.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
I'm telling you nbc sparked it. They were all over Barzal when it was clear that while he is the best islanders player in general he is far from the best in the series and probably not even the best player on his team this series. Nbc just gets its biased reporting going on. What's new with that?

They definitely trolled us a bit. Our guy scores 5 points, after dominating the first two rounds, and the next game Barzal has an assist and it earns the comment that he's been just as good as Point the game before. I get that they're trying to build a narrative, but when the guy gets built up and then completely ****s the bed? It's gonna catch some grief here. It would be weirder if it didn't.

Reactions: CupsOverCash

kabidjan18

Apr 20, 2015
authockeytxreports.wordpress.com
Point's availability will be the main topic of interest coming out of this game. But not for the Isles, who are done, but for the potential that Point's absence in another game might force Tampa to play an extra game. Can't ask any more of the Isles than to take the series to six games.

And if you're the Lightning, after that Pelech hit. Do you play him and risk him being targeted? Do you sit him and risk having to play more games?

berlin

04, 20, 21, CHAMPS
Jul 14, 2012
Kokomo
This. I don’t think any Tampa fan has anything against Barzal.

Konk

Mar 11, 2008
No, we can just find all the posts where you list skills where you believe Barzal is better, and yet somehow not nearly as effective overall. Point is a better goal-scorer, better at face-offs, and slightly better defensively. Since Point isn't exactly Alex Ovechkin in the goal-scoring department, that reads like you're saying Barzal is the better player overall, although I think you actually had them around even (despite Barzal being better at every offensive thing except goal-scoring).

There were a handful of posts and when asked point blank which I thought was better I listed three things in Barzal's favor, three things in Points favor but that Barzal was closing the gap defensively. I started off by saying they were not far off from one another. You clearly ignored that previously and claimed I said "Barzal is better."

I never did. Period. I can admit where I was wrong, clearly the difference between you and I is that you cannot.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad