Draft 2020 Draft & Undrafted Free Agent Thread: Part VII

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..
Everyone’s been talking about the best picks @ #22OA, what about the worst?

The worst pick is whatever somewhat unknown player the Rangers take if/when someone we've talked about a lot around here is still left on the board. Same way people freaked out over taking Lundkvist over Bode Wilde.

...or how I freaked out a bit when they took Chytil over Kostin. Whoops.

Oscar Lindberg

Dec 14, 2015
CA
The worst pick is whatever somewhat unknown player the Rangers take if/when someone we've talked about a lot around here is still left on the board. Same way people freaked out over taking Lundkvist over Bode Wilde.
I was good with Lundkvist but man was I steaming when they took Lindbolm in the 2nd round over Wilde and than he goes to the Islanders a few picks later

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..
I was good with Lundkvist but man was I steaming when they took Lindbolm in the 2nd round over Wilde and than he goes to the Islanders a few picks later

I think we all were pretty confused by that one. Funnily enough Wilde has looked incredibly mediocre as a pro while had the Rangers really been as nepotistic as people claim they could've wound up with Jack Drury.

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..
Fixed it for you.

2nd round vs 1st but I think it shows just how much of a crap shoot all of this is. Especially as armchair scouts. You can go back virtually every year and see a guy that the posters around here loved that ended up being a bust while the guy the Rangers took ended up being a pretty solid player and you can find the exact opposite as well.

nsvoyageurs

Jun 5, 2012
NS Canada
Connor Zary
Dylan Holloway
Jacob Perreault
Justin Barron

And I am going back and forth on the 2 German kids. I'm hesitant to put too much emphasis on their production in DEL since it's a weaker league

I wouldn't mind Holloway or Perreault at 22. Zary, no thank you. Barron, considering the depth on right defence and injury/blood clot issue, would be a head scratcher.

Brooklyn Rangers Fan

Change is good.
Aug 23, 2005
Brooklyn & Upstate
I wouldn't mind Holloway or Perreault at 22. Zary, no thank you. Barron, considering the depth on right defence and injury/blood clot issue, would be a head scratcher.
Yeah, this is me too. Though I'd probably be more enthused for Holloway than most.

Re: Zary, my distaste is mostly predicated on the fact that 1) he's older, 2) his skating is underwhelming, 3) and I've read reports that doubt he's got much more room to grow. And while that might still translate to an 8-10 year bottom 6 career, I want them to use the 22OA (if they keep it) on someone who can be more dynamic (even if also in a bottom 6 role).

Barron would just be weird given the position and the health concern. Even if you love him, trade back to get him.

gravey9

Dec 29, 2008
Yeah, this is me too. Though I'd probably be more enthused for Holloway than most.

Re: Zary, my distaste is mostly predicated on the fact that 1) he's older, 2) his skating is underwhelming, 3) and I've read reports that doubt he's got much more room to grow. And while that might still translate to an 8-10 year bottom 6 career, I want them to use the 22OA (if they keep it) on someone who can be more dynamic (even if also in a bottom 6 role).

Barron would just be weird given the position and the health concern. Even if you love him, trade back to get him.

I agree. The one thing I haven't like about quite a few of the mid-late first round options is a combo of average or just below average height mixed with decent but not great skating. Combine that with being more finesse than high motor and I'm not terribly enthused by the vast majority. Is there a Stepan in there? Likely, but which one? I keep leaning towards Holloway for his size and skating or I want Grieg or Khusnutdinov for their motors.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
I agree. The one thing I haven't like about quite a few of the mid-late first round options is a combo of average or just below average height mixed with decent but not great skating. Combine that with being more finesse than high motor and I'm not terribly enthused by the vast majority. Is there a Stepan in there? Likely, but which one? I keep leaning towards Holloway for his size and skating or I want Grieg or Khusnutdinov for their motors.

The challenge for all of us to remember with later first round picks is that there are either more flaws or questions marks associated with them. So there's almost always a height issue, or a skating issue, or a defensive issue, or an effort issue, or an upside issue, or some other element that causes unease.

That's going to be as true for someone we take with the 22nd pick as it was for guys like Miller, Lundkvist, Chytil, Kreider, Skjei, Howden, and Lemieux. All of those guys were taken in the late first/early second at picks 22, 28, 21, 19, 27, 28 and 31. And there's a reason each of them was there in the first place.

Brooklyn Rangers Fan

Change is good.
Aug 23, 2005
Brooklyn & Upstate
The challenge for all of us to remember with later first round picks is that there are either more flaws or questions marks associated with them. So there's almost always a height issue, or a skating issue, or a defensive issue, or an effort issue, or an upside issue, or some other element that causes unease.

That's going to be as true for someone we take with the 22nd pick as it was for guys like Miller, Lundkvist, Chytil, Kreider, Skjei, Howden, and Lemieux. All of those guys were taken in the late first/early second at picks 22, 28, 21, 19, 27, 28 and 31. And there's a reason each of them was there in the first place.
Oh, for sure. The question is degree and type of flaw one would rather have.

Joey Bones

***** 2k16
Jul 27, 2012
Nowhere
Holloway is by no means a bad pick at No. 22. Y'all are over stating the negatives (or actually the uncertainty) with him. At very worst he's an edgy bottom-6 center/wing with his size, grind and speed combo. He'll also throw his weight around and talks smack to opponents. Let's see if he can work on the offensive game in his development before stating he'd be a bad pick. He's done nothing to take himself out of the 1st round.

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
Holloway is by no means a bad pick at No. 22. Y'all are over stating the negatives (or actually the uncertainty) with him. At very worst he's an edgy bottom-6 center/wing with his size, grind and speed combo. He'll also throw his weight around and talks smack to opponents. Let's see if he can work on the offensive game in his development before stating he'd be a bad pick. He's done nothing to take himself out of the 1st round.

I'd say thats his most likely projection, not the worst case.

But there are guys who have a similar profile and may not have the pedigree/hype available who will be available later who do those grindy things better than Holloway does. Holloway doesn't have a ton of physical maturation ahead of him either so what you see is likely what you're going to get.

effen

Feb 3, 2018
At worst he looks a lot like Tanner Glass. While that's not likely he does remind me a lot of Colton Gillies and that's not a good thing.

Reactions: GoAwayStaal

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
Detroit News mock has Rangers taking Greig at 22.

Mile High Hockey has the pick as Zary.

Raw Charge has the pick as Mysak.

Polar Bear

May 15, 2018
The usual canned response about being excited for the opporunity, doing their homework, etc.
Would be nice if they just could come out and say, yes we're taking Laf. I know they won't say that though lol.

gravey9

Dec 29, 2008

I totally agree. I think, in this draft, and given the talent we've already amassed, I'd be putting my chips down on a player with a high motor who profiles middle six like Grieg, Khusnutdinov, Holloway or the D version -- Wallinder (if he's still there). I'm looking for a complimentary piece that, if everything falls into place, becomes more than complimentary.

There's less motivation I think in drafting a kid who projects as a top 6 or bust. When we drafted Buch, DuClair or Day that philosophy made a ton more sense. Our cupboard was bare. And our draft picks few.

But now, if I'm betting I want someone who doesn't become a redundant kid who might be blocked by other pure skill/finesse. Unless I'm really excited and confident that a guy is being seriously under-drafted. Like if Jarvis or Mercer fall maybe there's a different conversation. Maybe Amirov and Gunler change that calculation, I dunno.

But I am excited to draft a Grieg if he has any potential to be a Gallagher or even a Marchand. That's a guy we don't have and wouldn't be redundant anywhere in our lineup regardless of whether or not he hits/exceeds his projected ceiling.

Reactions: Jackson Ranger

RangersFan1994

Aug 20, 2019

even if Holloway is a Dubinsky lite at the end of the day I’ll take it. Would that be a good comparison???

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad