Draft 2020 Draft & Undrafted Free Agent Thread: Part VII

Status
Not open for further replies.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
Question Edge: In a similar situation, do you know if there was any interest from other teams in trading for the 2nd OA last year? And did the Rangers entertain or flat out say no if there was interest?

I never heard of any serious conversations. The Rangers were pretty adamant they were taking whoever was there between Hughes and Kakko.

The Rangers also let it be known they were interested in acquiring a second top 10 selection. So I don’t think too many teams bothered wasting Gorton’s time with offers for the second pick.

Reactions: egelband

JCProdigy

Apr 4, 2002
I want what I want
I never heard of any serious conversations. The Rangers were pretty adamant they were taking whoever was there between Hughes and Kakko.

The Rangers also let it be known they were interested in acquiring a second top 10 selection. So I don’t think too many teams bothered wasting Gorton’s time with offers for the second pick.
Thanks, because relating this year's 1st OA to last year's 2nd with what you've gleamed both years, I can see why you'd say there still could be an arbitrary 20% chance that the 1 OA is in play for a trade.

I should restate the above. It's telling that the Rangers last year were adamant that they were keeping the 2 OA, to the point where teams didn't even bother making offers but this year they haven't had the same sentiment. Doesn't mean it will happen but there is a small chance if they are blown away.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
Thanks, because relating this year's 1st OA to last year's 2nd with what you've gleamed both years, I can see why you'd say there still could be an arbitrary 20% chance that the 1 OA is in play for a trade.

I expect the Rangers to keep the pick and draft Lafreniere.

I do think there’s more interest in the top pick this year than recent years, and more teams willing to make interesting offers, if not quite “stupid good” offers thus far.

So I keep that door open just a crack.

Oscar Lindberg

Dec 14, 2015
CA
Glad to have clarity that Carolina's pick is 22. Doesn't really change who I'd target but nice to know.

Brisson or Khusnutdinov would be my primary targets for center. Holloway if he drops I'd also add in that list.

As I said last night, I think you'll see Lundell go top 10. He fits Minnesota's needs like a glove, there's no reason they should pass on him. I bet Chicago is praying Askarov stays on the board until their pick

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
Now that the Canes pick is set, several of you have sent me draft questions via PM. I think it's just easier to answer them on here.

Q: Any chance the Rangers take someone other than Lafreniere?
A: Slim to none. Other than playing center, Lafreniere is everything the Rangers need and is the best player in his class. He's clearly "the man" in the 2020 draft.

Q: Any chance the Rangers trade the top pick?
A: Unlikely, but not an absolute certainty. I think they'd entertain a crazy stupid offer. But short of that, Lafreniere will hear his name called by the Rangers in a month.

Q: Any chance the Rangers try to acquire another top 10 pick?
A: Possible, but highly unlikely at this point. Last year, Zegras was a very specific target the Rangers loved from their research for the sixth overall pick. I don't get the sense they desire anyone on that level this year. Additionally, I don't think they have a desire to trade an established NHL player for a pick.

Q: Who do the Rangers like in this draft?
A: Names that have come up repeatedly are Lundell and Holloway. How much they like those guys is unknown, there could be other prospects ahead of them. That's why I always hesitate to say, "THIS GUY will be the pick." I suspect they also like Guhle a lot as well. I will need need to confirm that when I have a chance.

Names I suspect/hope they like include Mercer and Jarvis, but that's on my end not based on anything I've heard from the Rangers. There are of course others they like, it's just that Lundell and Holloway are easier for me to confirm.

Q: Will the Rangers trade down in this draft?
A: Possible, but unlikely. That hasn't typically been the Rangers M.O. They tend to identify their guys and draft them without much fuss. I think this draft is the type of draft where you can trade down and still be in the same range of player, but I just don't know if the Rangers go that route.

Q: Will the Rangers trade up in this draft?
A: Possible, depending on who they like and who is in their range. They don't have a second, which complicates things. But I wouldn't rule out one of the third round picks, or some younger roster players/players in the system being on the table. So I would not be surprised if names like Howden, Hajek, Andersson, or even Lemieux come up.

Q: Will the Rangers trade the pick for a roster player?
A: Possible, though that approach has its share of challenges. I don't know if a lot of teams that are going to be dangling young, NHL-level talent on cheap contracts for picks. I think those teams are more likely to want to move guys who are a little older and thus a little more expensive.

Considering the Rangers are still trying to figure out their own salaries for next season, the timing might not be a fit. But all things being equal, I think this is the Rangers preference.

Q: Who are potential trade-up partners for the Rangers?
A: To start, you have to identify the typical move-up range in the draft, which is 1-6 spots. Moving one spot is rare, unless the Rangers want to block a team behind them from leapfrogging. Generally speaking, this isn't the Rangers approach. Moving six spots is also a stretch, but it happens.

Right off the bat, we can rule out New Jersey at 18 and 20. (One of the negative impacts of the Canucks losing is that we don't leapfrog the Devils' third pick and we thus lose another potential tradable slot.) I'd further say that Columbus is unlikely as both a division rival and because I don't think the Rangers are going to move assets for one spot in the draft.

So that leaves Calgary 19, Chicago at 17, and Montreal at 16. People have floated Toronto as a possibility at 15, and that is true if there's an interest in Georgiev. However, I think The Leafs' have a defenseman targeted there. So let's focus on the remaining three.

Calgary and the Rangers have engaged in many conversations, though they've all involved roster players. It's possible picks could be exchanged if the teams connect on a larger deal, or they shelf those talks for later and just focus on a smaller swap. Either way, there's familiarity here and I think there exists a potential window (assuming either team wants to make a move).

Chicago is an interesting trade candidate because like the Rangers I think they're looking to move into the next phase of their team building. There's a desire for a goalie, so the question is whether the Hawks view Georgiev as someone who can grow into the role, while also serving as a capable backup to Crawford. I think their interest will be similar to Toronto's interest. Georgiev could be a worthy replacement for a second round pick that might normally convince them to trade down 5 spots. I'd keep an eye on this one.

Montreal, in theory, has advertised their desire to shop the pick. Now I think they're probably looking for NHL-ready help. But like the Rangers desire, that might be easier said than done. They've expressed the belief that there's little difference in the quality of prospect when you get past the top 9. Is that posturing? Are they serious? We don't know. Moving six spots ahead is a bit of a stretch for the Rangers, and I don't think Montreal has a huge interest in adding another third rounder. They're pretty set with picks this year. So I think you're looking at a roster player in this scenario. I think Brendan Lemieux looks very attractive to them. But that's not going to be a popular option on here.

Q: Who do you think the Rangers will take at 22?
A: My cop-out answer is that I think there are a ton of possibilities that make sense. But, put me on the spot, I'm going to go with a darkhorse candidate whom I can't shake. I think if he's sitting on the board at 22, Lapierre might just be the pick. But that's assuming he gets past Montral and both of the Devils picks. Both teams have a wealth of picks and I think they might be willing to gamble with them.

Last edited:

Oscar Lindberg

Dec 14, 2015
CA
I found this interesting from Steve K's draft guide (which you should go buy, it's 5 bucks) but it's a breakdown of the Rangers picks by league the last 5 years

Sweden and Finland dominate, rarely pick from QMJHL, Russia or NTDP. They are pretty diverse in where they pick from though, which isn't shocking considering the discussions we've had before about the team having more scouting resources.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
I found this interesting from Steve K's draft guide (which you should go buy, it's 5 bucks) but it's a breakdown of the Rangers picks by league the last 5 years

Sweden and Finland dominate, rarely pick from QMJHL, Russia or NTDP. They are pretty diverse in where they pick from though, which isn't shocking considering the discussions we've had before about the team having more scouting resources.

I would say that one thing to keep in mind as well is that the Rangers have typically valued the pro experience of European leagues when it comes to late first round picks. I've heard scouts with the team say that they are generally more comfortable with finding value from Europe in the late first, than they are from finding similar value from the CHL in the same spots.

Generally speaking, it was described to me that they like the CHL for top picks and picks in the second through fourth rounds.

They like most European leagues better for last first round picks, and mid to late round picks.

They like the U.S. program for first round picks, but not nearly as much outside the first.

Harbour Dog

Jul 16, 2015
St. John's
Curious if somebody can give me a rundown of why Khusnutdinov has become so popular on this board? And does it extend to other teams, or have we just fixated on him ourselves?

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
Curious if somebody can give me a rundown of why Khusnutdinov has become so popular on this board? And does it extend to other teams, or have we just fixated on him ourselves?

because he is zone entry Jesus and a Menace with out the puck. Loads of potential as a dominant 2 way center.

he’s commonly in the late 1st early 2nd on most lists so no, not just this place.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise

Skill and tenacity, relentless on the puck, a guy who forces his way into the zone and backs up defenders. Skill player who think he's 3 inches taller and 30 pounds heavier.

He's a legit candidate for the 22nd pick. Not sure I project him as a center, but he's certainly got top 6 potential.

Oscar Lindberg

Dec 14, 2015
CA
It's a mix of things. People that casually just read this thread see his name pop up more so it leads to more folks talking about him. His name being mentioned has picked considerably the last few months

That said he's a very good prospect that has done well in the lower level KHL leagues.

I pegged him as a 2nd rounder as I started doing my research for this draft last year, and he's managed to work his way into the first round for me. His ranking varies depending on who you talk too. He's in the 30's on Bob's list, and then guys like Steve K have him at 14

He reminds me a bit of Chytil and the talk surrounding him in 2017. A guy that came on strong and rose leading up to the draft, ranked in the second round on Bob's list, solid shot of being taken in the first

Harbour Dog

Jul 16, 2015
St. John's
Cool, thanks guys.

I have the Black Book and they aren't nearly that high on him, and McKenzie's list has him outside the 1st round I believe; but that and stat-watching are my only indications of where the kid should go.

I will take your words for it and not be upset if we take him!

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
Cool, thanks guys.

I have the Black Book and they aren't nearly that high on him, and McKenzie's list has him outside the 1st round I believe; but that and stat-watching are my only indications of where the kid should go.

Opinions on him are somewhat divided.

I've heard some people question the ability of his game to translate against better competition, others have criticized his play when the puck isn't on his stick.

In that sense, he's like a lot of the offensive minded prospects in the back-half of the first round. Serious talent, but significant enough question marks that keep them from being consistently ranked among the best in their class.

duhmetreE

Blessed Bigly
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2012
Now that the Canes pick is set, several of you have sent me draft questions via PM. I think it's just easier to answer them on here.

Q: Any chance the Rangers take someone other than Lafreniere?
A: Slim to none. Other than playing center, Lafreniere is everything the Rangers need and is the best player in his class. He's clearly "the man" in the 2020 draft.

Q: Any chance the Rangers trade the top pick?
A: Unlikely, but not an absolute certainty. I think they'd entertain a crazy stupid offer. But short of that, Lafreniere will hear his name called by the Rangers in a month.

Q: Any chance the Rangers try to acquire another top 10 pick?
A: Possible, but highly unlikely at this point. Last year, Zegras was a very specific target the Rangers loved from their research for the sixth overall pick. I don't get the sense they desire anyone on that level this year. Additionally, I don't think they have a desire to trade an established NHL player for a pick.

Q: Who do the Rangers like in this draft?
A: Names that have come up repeatedly are Lundell and Holloway. How much they like those guys is unknown, there could be other prospects ahead of them. That's why I always hesitate to say, "THIS GUY will be the pick." I suspect they also like Guhle a lot as well. I will need need to confirm that when I have a chance.

Names I suspect/hope they like include Mercer and Jarvis, but that's on my end not based on anything I've heard from the Rangers. There are of course others they like, it's just that Lundell and Holloway are easier for me to confirm.

Q: Will the Rangers trade down in this draft?
A: Possible, but unlikely. That hasn't typically been the Rangers M.O. They tend to identify their guys and draft them without much fuss. I think this draft is the type of draft where you can trade down and still be in the same range of player, but I just don't know if the Rangers go that route.

Q: Will the Rangers trade up in this draft?
A: Possible, depending on who they like and who is in their range. They don't have a second, which complicates things. But I wouldn't rule out one of the third round picks, or some younger roster players/players in the system being on the table. So I would not be surprised if names like Howden, Hajek, Andersson, or even Lemieux come up.

Q: Will the Rangers trade the pick for a roster player?
A: Possible, though that approach has its share of challenges. I don't know if a lot of teams that are going to be dangling young, NHL-level talent on cheap contracts for picks. I think those teams are more likely to want to move guys who are a little older and thus a little more expensive.

Considering the Rangers are still trying to figure out their own salaries for next season, the timing might not be a fit. But all things being equal, I think this is the Rangers preference.

Q: Who are potential trade-up partners for the Rangers?
A: To start, you have to identify the typical move-up range in the draft, which is 1-6 spots. Moving one spot is rare, unless the Rangers want to block a team behind them from leapfrogging. Generally speaking, this isn't the Rangers approach. Moving six spots is also a stretch, but it happens.

Right off the bat, we can rule out New Jersey at 18 and 20. (One of the negative impacts of the Canucks losing is that we don't leapfrog the Devils' third pick and we thus lose another potential tradable slot.) I'd further say that Columbus is unlikely as both a division rival and because I don't think the Rangers are going to move assets for one spot in the draft.

So that leaves Calgary 19, Chicago at 17, and Montreal at 16. People have floated Toronto as a possibility at 15, and that is true if there's an interest in Georgiev. However, I think The Leafs' have a defenseman targeted there. So let's focus on the remaining three.

Calgary and the Rangers have engaged in many conversations, though they've all involved roster players. It's possible picks could be exchanged if the teams connect on a larger deal, or they shelf those talks for later and just focus on a smaller swap. Either way, there's familiarity here and I think there exists a potential window (assuming either team wants to make a move).

Chicago is an interesting trade candidate because like the Rangers I think they're looking to move into the next phase of their team building. There's a desire for a goalie, so the question is whether the Hawks view Georgiev as someone who can grow into the role, while also serving as a capable backup to Crawford. I think their interest will be similar to Toronto's interest. Georgiev could be a worthy replacement for a second round pick that might normally convince them to trade down 5 spots. I'd keep an eye on this one.

Montreal, in theory, has advertised their desire to shop the pick. Now I think they're probably looking for NHL-ready help. But like the Rangers desire, that might be easier said than done. They've expressed the belief that there's little difference in the quality of prospect when you get past the top 9. Is that posturing? Are they serious? We don't know. Moving six spots ahead is a bit of a stretch for the Rangers, and I don't think Montreal has a huge interest in adding another third rounder. They're pretty set with picks this year. So I think you're looking at a roster player in this scenario. I think Brendan Lemieux looks very attractive to them. But that's not going to be a popular option on here.

Q: Who do you think the Rangers will take at 22?
A: My cop-out answer is that I think there are a ton of possibilities that make sense. But, put me on the spot, I'm going to go with a darkhorse candidate whom I can't shake. I think if he's sitting on the board at 22, Lapierre might just be the pick. But that's assuming he gets past Montral and both of the Devils picks. Both teams have a wealth of picks and I think they might be willing to gamble with them.
You've mentioned Lindholm... but are there any 'under the radar' targets you've heard about? I've seen Dunn's name come up a lot lately and it makes sense... Keller? I might be looking too far into it but... what if Drury withdrew from FLA GM because they have no intention to spend money.. ( ie. sign Barkov or their top players ) How much would a Barkov actually/realistically cost?

I feel its almost certain Gorton will used his draft assets to get a player he likes... so, who have you heard he likes? :)

Harbour Dog

Jul 16, 2015
St. John's
Opinions on him are somewhat divided.

I've heard some people question the ability of his game to translate against better competition, others have criticized his play when the puck isn't on his stick.

In that sense, he's like a lot of the offensive minded prospects in the back-half of the first round. Serious talent, but significant enough question marks that keep them from being consistently ranked among the best in their class.

I understand the reservations for sure. He has to play that energy two-way C game against the best players in the world at 5'9" or a little taller.

Do you think that if he was a winger, his name would still be coming up as much on here? Because I suspect if him and Gunler switched positions, we'd be drooling all over ourselves for the Swede.

Igor Shestyorkin

#26, the sickest of 'em all.
Apr 17, 2015
Moscow, RUS
Glad to have clarity that Carolina's pick is 22. Doesn't really change who I'd target but nice to know.

Brisson or Khusnutdinov would be my primary targets for center. Holloway if he drops I'd also add in that list.

As I said last night, I think you'll see Lundell go top 10. He fits Minnesota's needs like a glove, there's no reason they should pass on him. I bet Chicago is praying Askarov stays on the board until their pick
Khusnutdinov, Brisson, Bourque, Lapierre, and Emil Andrae are the guys I’m hoping the Rangers target at 22 if they’re keeping the pick.

Mikos87

Mar 19, 2002
Visit site
Seeing the aggregate rankings now, I think some of the guys who were ranked in the 40+ range aren't hiding anymore. To me, I go upside all the way with the CAR pick. It would have been off the board earlier, but he's climbed up too many rankings. Unless you get a Dawson Mercer at that slot, I'm swinging for William Wallinder.

IMO- Best skating defenseman in the draft who is rail thin, with silky hands. He's 4 years away. Beyond the size issue, he was terrible defensively at times. If he ends up on a team like CLB, he will be a stud. To me, he's got Thomas Chabot like upside. I've watched a lot of hockey, and it is very rare that you see a 6'4" defensemen that can skate like that. I think he can end up pushing Sanderson and Drysdale as far as being top 3 defensemen from this draft class. But you may have to wait 6-7 years to say that.

Oh and he's smart with the puck. He's very very smart.

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
Cool, thanks guys.

both the black book and Mac have him as an early 2nd round pick.

Harbour Dog

Jul 16, 2015
St. John's
both the black book and Mac have him as an early 2nd round pick.

Yup, but at 22 there will almost certainly be guys still on the board that both have ranked in the teens, as opposed to a ~35th ranked guy.

Not using that as an argument against him. It's just why I need more explanation as to why he should be shortlisted as the Rangers pick.

Mikos87

Mar 19, 2002
Visit site
Khusnutdinov, Brisson, Bourque, Lapierre, and Emil Andrae are the guys I’m hoping the Rangers target at 22 if they’re keeping the pick.

Andrae is a good one. Grans, Jurmo, and my other outlier choice is Johanessen are all good defensive prospects. With Wallinder being my top choice among the lot. Brisson's coming up as well. I heard he's a great skater. Johanessen in particular reminds me of a couple of defensemen that slid in the 2016 draft. He's another one with some very anomalous traits.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
Yup, but at 22 there will almost certainly be guys still on the board that both have ranked in the teens, as opposed to a ~35th ranked guy.

Not using that as an argument against him. It's just why I need more explanation as to why he should be shortlisted as the Rangers pick.

Earlier this week I discussed the reach vs steal labels in the draft with someone and I always feel fans in general consider a player drafted lower than his consensus ranking a good thing while that's not always the case. Pavel Buchnevich, Robin Kovacs and Sean Day were all steals (drafted lower than where they were ranked) while Filip Chytil, Chris Kreider and Lias Andersson were all reaches (drafted higher than where they were ranked).

Khustnutdinov would be considered a reach according to these criteria, but is that really a bad thing? Online rankings are arbitrary

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad